Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

Arlyn,
I found the problem with my engine. The plastic part of the vacuum fitting on the crankcase was broken and, evidenlty, had been cracked for a while. I guess it finally broke all the way so I could find it and fix it. I was fortunatel to have a fitting from an engine that I'm not using and it fit perfectly. I pulled the brass fitting out of the crankcase with pliers and put a bit of JB Weld on the replacement (after thorougly cleaning the area) and it is working just fine. The engine starts and runs pretty well now. No wonder it wouldn't pull any fuel to the carb. I still have some tuning to do but, it's much better than it was. I'm looking forward to the next flight.

On another note ....I went to my first ever RC swap meet in Weatherford Friday night and had a great time. I found a used airframe to replace my wrecked MX2 and it's a beauty ....excellent condition. It's a Great Planes Yak 54 81" wing span. My DLE 55 will be overkill but, it will fit and should fly fine. Going UPshould not be a problem with this combination.
The best part about this deal is that Isold enough stuff to pay for the airframe. Igot a good deal on it.

RJ

Old 03-17-2012, 04:21 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary... whew... glad to hear that the engine problem as been tamed.

I was at Weatherford as well Friday night. Was the Yak you bought in the hall way just around the corner toward the hot dog vender? I remember one there but there of course could have been others. I bought a plane as well... a NIB Hanger 9 1/4 scale Taylorcraft. It is the old version that I have so it will yield spare parts if needed as the old version has been discontinued for years.

Mostly I was happy to get some servo extensions and switch harness and some control horns for the current project. I really didn't need much and wasn't planning to come home with a plane.

Wish I'd known you planned to be there as it would have been nice to give a howdy.

Glad to hear you sold enough stuff to equalize. One of my friends that traveled with me carried his Jackal to sell but he only wanted to let it go if he could get his price and he didn't. He really likes the plane but it has to be flown on a better field than what we have.

The plane that caught my eye was the Fly Baby, though I wasn't interested in it. It had a glow twin and I'm not adding any glow. In fact, I've an almost new Saito 182 twin that I bought at a great price before I'd concluded not to add any new glow stuff. Don't know that I'll ever use it though one thought I had that clinched my deal on the Taylorcraft was that if I didn't use it for parts, the Saito 182 would make a very nice combo for it.

Too windy to fly today... so worked on outside chores today or I should have said, not too windy for my Ultrastick but too windy for most of our bunch so there was no flying going on and I came back.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM
rowdyjoe

Arlyn,
Dang it! We missed each other. We had a table along the first row on the inside. Ihad some red and yellow 50cc sized wings leaning against the table and there was a yellow plane (don't remember which) with an OS 4 stroke on it. Also had a little red and white Lingcat sitting there and some other stuff. I sold everything except my OS .61. I was wearng a black golf type shirt with the Thunderbirds Logo and my name embroidered on it. Too bad we missed each other.

I bought my airframe from the guy who owned those planes leaning against the wall but, Igot to him before he started unloading his trailer. Ihad the pick of the litter at that time and wished I would have bought more than one. He had a beautiful Yak or Sukoi leaning against the wall with 40cc engine on it for a nice price. I would like to have had that one too. Oh well, Idid good so, can't complain.

Yep, it's really windy here too and we're expecting rain. Forecast looks ungood for flying for the next few days.

Garry
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
rowdyjoe

Since Ibought the GPYak, Ineed to thin out the herd a bit so, I'm selling the Spacewalker airframe with engine. I've removed all of the electrics except the ignition. As much as Ilike this bird Ilike the Yak more and needed the "stuff"out of the SW. As we all know, it's a great flyer and the 26cc engine is a good match for this plane now that it's running well.
The engine is almost broken-in and is ready for a larger prop. I had planned to put a 17x6 on it ...it has a 16x6 now.

Somebody's going to get a good deal on this one. Check the classifieds.

RJ

Old 04-07-2012, 02:16 PM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Guys-

Just wondering if anyone would post a pic or two showing how they mounted a DLE 20 on this plane. I intend on using the Dubro engine mount but am having a little difficulty lining things up while making sure that I can access the adjustment screws.

I would really appreciate some pics.

Thanks in advance

Larry
Old 05-19-2012, 05:35 AM
phakur

Guys-

Can anybody help with getting the throttle linkage and choke working with a DLE 20? Is it better to rotate the carb? Better to move the gas tank back? I'm concerned about access to the wing bolts though?

ANYBODY out there done this and made it work OK?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 AM
codedlanguage

@phakur,

I had the DLE 30 on my Spacewalker. Gas tank was moved back close to the CG line. The tank is placed on an "H" made of scrap pieces of balsa and/or ply. It may be hard to get to the LE plastic screws, but it makes sense to place the tank as close as posible to the CG. That's why i've shortened the front plastic screws with maybe 1 cm (aprox 0,5 inch). Check out the picture.

Nothing special regarding throttle linkage. Using Sullivan nirod, servo placed in where the manual said.

Choke was actuated by a 2,5 inch long pushrod through the firewall and coming out of the fuse right behind the back edge of the engine cowl, on the right side of the fuse. Balsa was doubled there with a little piece of plywood.

!!! there is mistake in the first picture - that is the choke lever, not the throttle lever !!!
You have to zoom in to be able to read the indications.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jg14024.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	1764000   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg16117.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	1764001  
Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 AM
phakur

Hey Coded

Any chance you have a pic of the engine without the cowl on?

Just want to see what it looks like.

Larry
Old 05-19-2012, 08:39 PM
codedlanguage

Sorry, but no pictures. I replaced the DLE30 with a Thunder Tiger 1.20 glow engine. If a picture with the TT engine installed will help or with other gas engine linkage (DLE 20 on a GP Sterman or RCG 50 on a Pitts M12), I will post one.

Nothing special regarding the linkages for DLE 30. Just 2 shims of 1,5 mm plywood between left side stand-offs and firewall for some right thrust.

Regarding DLE20: mine came with the throttle lever mounted in the same direction as the choke lever. When fully open, the gas lever was touching the choke lever. So, when installing the composite extension that comes with the engine, be sure you flip the gas lever. This way both levers (gas and choke) il move freely .

Good luck !
Old 05-20-2012, 12:20 AM
bgee

Here are some pics of mine with dle 30
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35863.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1764151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89097.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1764152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87747.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1764153  
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 AM
bgee

Sorry about them being upside down, I didn't realise until after I posted them
Old 07-09-2012, 07:12 AM
phakur

Guys-One other question-

Has anyone considered permanently screwing bolts into the wings and then using wingnuts rather than those plastic screws? If so did it work ok?

Thanks-

Larry
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
skypup50

I'm about to buy this plane and use a dle 20. Is it difficult to reach the back of the firewall to install blind nuts? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
phakur

I installed a DLE20used the Dubro engine mountno problems
Old 07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: phakur

I installed a DLE20used the Dubro engine mountno problems

Thanks. How did it fly?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM
phakur

still not there yet-hope to maiden in about a week
Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Your comment about your building room shared with radio... is my situation as well. I still have all my radio and test gear in my building room. I'm an inactive Ham however, and should clear out the radio stuff but I'm loath to part with what was once important I guess but I have given thought to selling the stuff and making more room. I guess what holds me back is that I've been forced a couple of times to change gears hobby wise so with an awareness that nothing in life can be certain, I might one day want to reactivate as a Ham so why sell out for peanuts.

And... I've got one bench with test gear; a scope, poor mans spectrum analyzer, sweep generator, and various other test gear.

I hear you about the fumes. My radio/airplane room is in the house but behind the garage with three doors, to the garage, back yard and living area. I can close that door and otherwise ventilate fumes between the garage and back yard. It works most of the time but have been fussed at a time or two. I do have a very nice setup for modeling with a back yard shop only a few steps from the back door of the building room and storage for planes on garage walls and ceilings.

It is very nice to have a heated/cooled building room and such is a worthy trade for more size.

btw, last night was spent buttoning up a few odds n ends on the SW. The cowl was left off for now and probably through the maiden and all is ready for firing the engine and getting idle and failsafe set. Might get that done this evening if not too tired. I started a construction project yesterday so will have less time and energy for modeling for a while.
Do you feel safe leaving your SW in the garage in this Texas heat or is the garage air conditioned? Just wondering, I may face the same issue.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:51 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost all of my planes are stored in the garage and have been for many years. Temperatures probably at times reach 110-115 but I've not noted any ill affects.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:16 AM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Almost all of my planes are stored in the garage and have been for many years. Temperatures probably at times reach 110-115 but I've not noted any ill affects.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:12 AM
skypup50

Can you folks tell me how many servo extensions and lengths for a Spacewalker 120? Ordered my engine and accessories and am about to make a final decision about the plane. Can't decide between the Spacewalker and the GP Waco. I like both and the longer set up and breakdown of the bipe is discouraging. I'll be using a dle 20.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 AM
phakur

One extension for each aileron unless you decide to mount elevator and rudder servos in rear (that's not in the manual but people have done it). Put the servos where they say, you can balance the plane by moving battery packs aroundso you may need a battery pack extension as well. I didn't.

Also suggest a smaller fuel tank if you are going gas.

The DLE 20 fits entirely in the cowl, so you'll have to do something with cooling inlet outlet and muffler extension. There is a ton of room inside that cowl to mount ignition as well. I didn't put the battery in there, could have, it made the plane a bit nose heavy so I moved it back a bit.

I rotated the carb on the DLE 20 180 degrees to put the throttle on topjust personal preference
Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 AM
skypup50

One extension for each aileron unless you decide to mount elevator and rudder servos in rear (that's not in the manual but people have done it). Put the servos where they say, you can balance the plane by moving battery packs aroundso you may need a battery pack extension as well. I didn't.

Also suggest a smaller fuel tank if you are going gas.

The DLE 20 fits entirely in the cowl, so you'll have to do something with cooling inlet outlet and muffler extension. There is a ton of room inside that cowl to mount ignition as well. I didn't put the battery in there, could have, it made the plane a bit nose heavy so I moved it back a bit.

I rotated the carb on the DLE 20 180 degrees to put the throttle on topjust personal preference
Thanks for the info! How long are the wing extensions (24")? Also live here with the Texas wind, how much wind can you fly her in?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 AM
phakur

Length depends on how long a lead you have on your servos-I only needed 12 inches.

Using Hitec servos.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 AM
skypup50

Length depends on how long a lead you have on your servos-I only needed 12 inches.

Using Hitec servos.
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 AM
skypup50

I received my Spacewalker II 120 yesterday. After a lot of debate I decided to go with the new Saito FG-21 gas fourstroke. This plane begs for a four stroke sound and I wanted gas instead of nitro. Was going to use a Dle 20 and returned it. I saw a video of this plane flying on the older FG-20 and it sounds great and performs well. The new engine has an updated carb, ignition by rcexcel and new valve seats. I could not find videos and just one review of the new engine. Hopefully I'll have good luck tuning this engine. My new engine comes on Tuesday. Here's the video I watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzzwP1rpm4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.