Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti DS-24

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti DS-24

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Colin Allen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by highhorse
"Fact"? "Most"? "Every year"?

Those are interesting claims, and when combined with your prior posts I'm sensing a pattern here.

I've flown Futaba for over 10 years and never once needed potentiometer recalibration or a screen replaced. Same for my father, so that's 20 years between us. While it is a big world out there and I am certain that someone must be sending his radio back periodically, I have never personally heard a Futaba user mention sending his radio back for annual maintenance.

Relax please. Your radios are pretty darned good and speak for themselves without your shrill, ingracious, and over the top claims of the competition's inferiority. Although this particular Futaba user started in this thread as a big fan of Jeti's telemetry and potential future customer, you've pretty well single handedly turned me off to your brand. If I ever switch to Jeti it will be in spite of posts like the one above, not because of them.

Perhaps you should just back away from you keyboard for a while and let your loyal customers carry the flag. They do a much better job of it, IMO.
Yes, that's just plain nonsense. I converted from from an 18MZ to a DS-16 middle of last year and love, love, love my DS-16, in fact I rave about it if anyone ever makes the mistake of asking me about it :-) I converted across a truck load of models, sold all my old Futaba receivers for around what new Jeti replacements cost and then eventually sold my 18MZ for more than I paid for my DS-16.

That said... my 18MZ served me very well. I know many 18MZ users. Neither I, nor ANY of them have EVER had to return their unit for re-calibration or had a faulty touch screen, let alone "annual maintenance". Not saying nobody ever did, but it sure must be rare. Would I like a touch screen on my DS-16? - yes I would! It's not essential, not a show stopper in the slightest, but it would be nice.

Futaba do a lot of things really well. They are without question one of the top radios. I think it is well established that bagging the opposition is a really, really poor sales tactic. So unnecessary... the product sells itself if over zealous distributors would just get out of their own way.

My single biggest let down with Jeti has been them announcing release dates too early, then revising and constantly missing them. How much of this is Esprit, and how much of it is Jeti I dont know. We have the 24 channel update now, but since last August when I was first told it was "imminent", I've been given three other dates, all of which did not come to pass. Now we have it, it is awesome, but just announce the intent, and then shut up about it until you really (I mean REALLY) have a firm date.

Last edited by Colin Allen; 01-02-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Colin, sold my Futuba gear for a DS-16 and a heap of rx's, telemetry etc. I'm really pleased with the radio and all the neat stuff it can do. Good support locally and heaps of information on line as well.

I also got the profi box so my caller can also see all the telemetry outputs and fuel level to save him leaning over me to view my screen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	2139272  
Old 01-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Wow +1000 again

Originally Posted by Colin Allen

I think it is well established that bagging the opposition is a really, really poor sales tactic. So unnecessary... the product sells itself if over zealous distributors would just get out of their own way.
Amen brother, amen again
Old 01-02-2016, 04:07 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by highhorse
"Fact"? "Most"? "Every year"?

Those are interesting claims, and when combined with your prior posts I'm sensing a pattern here.

I've flown Futaba for over 10 years and never once needed potentiometer recalibration or a screen replaced. Same for my father, so that's 20 years between us. While it is a big world out there and I am certain that someone must be sending his radio back periodically, I have never personally heard a Futaba user mention sending his radio back for annual maintenance.

Relax please. Your radios are pretty darned good and speak for themselves without your shrill, ingracious, and over the top claims of the competition's inferiority. Although this particular Futaba user started in this thread as a big fan of Jeti's telemetry and potential future customer, you've pretty well single handedly turned me off to your brand. If I ever switch to Jeti it will be in spite of posts like the one above, not because of them.

Perhaps you should just back away from you keyboard for a while and let your loyal customers carry the flag. They do a much better job of it, IMO.
He is truly a salesman, well....trying and trying hard. I complained in the previous ad thread but was told by a moderator "It's not that bad" so it would stand.....um, ok. Things have changed a lot since I was a mod here.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:40 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Antlfinger
Does anyone have the link to the little gizmos that stick on the trim buttons and convert them to a vertical and horizontal motion?

P.S. I found the link to Grumania on the Jeti Tech Blog. Thanks anyway.....TA
I found them on the Grumania page and I can't image paying 43 euros + shipping for them. Esprit used to have mention of them on Facebook page but they seem to be gone from their web site. I suspect that while a good idea, no one wanted them badly enough to pay about $60 for them.

I initially wanted to try them but after having the radio for over a year now, I simply use Auto Trim most of the time and if I need a single click of up, etc, I no longer have any problems at all with the trim button layout. It seemed a bit foreign at first but I got used to it . Still, Auto trim works so well, I rarely ever touch the trim buttons.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:44 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I have one of the G trims a friend gave me when I bought my radio I have yet to install it as I really felt no need I simply place my thumb in the center of the four buttons and move the trim as needed I do have all my model set up with cross trims
Old 01-03-2016, 07:32 AM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by wfield0455
I found them on the Grumania page and I can't image paying 43 euros + shipping for them. Esprit used to have mention of them on Facebook page but they seem to be gone from their web site. I suspect that while a good idea, no one wanted them badly enough to pay about $60 for them.

Still, Auto trim works so well, I rarely ever touch the trim buttons.
You are absolutely right, once people tried Auto-Trim & Cross trim Assignment sales just disappeared. Also it's harder to make fine trim adjustments when single click is enough.

Zb/Jeti USA

Last edited by Jeti USA; 01-03-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:35 AM
america12mj

hello guy's
in france many people use jeti, personaly i use dc 16
afer a mc20 graupner during 25 years ago, it's a very best remote control, very simple to use and whit a giant possibilities

the forum off jeti ,

http://www.jetiforum.de/

regards
pascal from Paris -France
Old 01-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

I also lost interest in the G-Trim when I saw the price on the Grumania site. Hope to see that DC-24 in my shop soon.

TA
Old 01-03-2016, 06:21 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Tom Antlfinger
I also lost interest in the G-Trim when I saw the price on the Grumania site. Hope to see that DC-24 in my shop soon.

TA
we made our own.. Like ZB said, it isn't needed, but I still like it.. you can shape one up, and glass it, then flatten the bottom and coat it.. I had a buddy spin one from an alum block too.. one inch diameter at bottom, then just took a hole punch and punched good two sided tape.. I still like it only on the left trim, set up to cross trim..

Last edited by gooseF22; 01-03-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:13 AM
Bob_B

http://www.grumania.com/xtcommerce/R...TRIM::624.html

About $45.00 usd dollars shipped to the US
Old 01-05-2016, 08:08 AM
Flyin-in-Bama

I have not read further in this post yet, how do you like the Profi? I noticed some conversion differences between the DS16 and the Profi. i.e. display knots on radio, but can only do kpm on Profi. and a few other issues, or have they fixed that stuff?

I have a DS16 and rave about it to anyone who will listen. With the latest firmware updates, there is no need to get the DS24 for me. I like the wheel, have not missed touchscreen, I have gotten used to the trim locations, plus I use an "Auto-Trim" switch for maidens, makes adjusting trims EASY.....just turn on auto trim and fly the plane straight.
If anyone is in the market, I would go with the DS16, MORE than enough for the flying we are doing.

Doug
Old 01-05-2016, 08:10 AM
Bob_B

Thanks for the feedback Doug!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Jeti USA

[h=2]Stop by to see us at the AMA Expo, Ontario, California, January 8-10, 2016 (Booth 426).[/h]We will have all Jeti, new DC-24, AXi motors, Emcotec power units and couple surprises on the display.

Zb/Jeti USA

Old 01-05-2016, 11:08 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Are there any planes to work on the ergonomics of the radio? These still are more for the tray holder flyers? I fly holding my radio and with my little fingers I normally adjust my sticks on the 18mz as far to outside edge of the radio to help with this. I have been considering a wetronics bat system, but telemetry is a big driving force in my next radio. I'm tired of overly complex programming that requires waaaay to much brain power to get running. Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Bob_B

Fender you want the DS version it is a hand held TX and quite compact.

Last edited by Bob_B; 01-05-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:57 PM
FenderBean

Bob I have held the radio and it's still a flat design just not as wide, trying to hold the radio and fly/flip switches is hard for me when holding it like I always have. I'm just one person but I think I have seen others comment on the same thing.

Last edited by FenderBean; 01-05-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Bob_B

I use a neck strap, may I suggest the same. Have flown that way for 30 plus years as I like the stability the strap provides. I really don't see them changing the case design anytime time soon, sorry.
I used a 12FG prior to this and I don't notice any difference. In fact the rubber side on the Jeti feel much better than side of the 12FG.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:06 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that it matters as this is a Jeti thread, but I bought two Futaba 14MZ's in or around 2005. One for my father and one for myself. I had to send mine in twice for screen issues. Once because of bubbles in the touch screen, once for a cracked one. I also had to send it in a couple of times for encoder issues (gimbals). Dad's had to go in a couple of times too, but not as much as mine. In our area it was not uncommon for there to be issues with the encoders and screens. I don't have either one anymore though.

Bit the bullet and sold my radio and traded in my receivers to to Esprit recently, DS-16 on it's way. Looking forward to it, can't get here soon enough. Wanted to wait for the DS-24, but just couldn't. Not when the -16 will do more than I need to already.

Tom M
Old 01-05-2016, 02:01 PM
dubd

For Jeti owners, why did you choose it over the Weatronics BAT-60?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by dubd
I chose Jeti for the telemetry first and foremost. Affordability, availability, and quality. Dual RF, wide range of RX choices, Hall sensors on the stick assemblies. I have a fully loaded DS-14 I use 7-10 channels typically so I have 4 unused channels and more features than I could ever imagine using. I'm sort of OCD so I would be constantly cleaning a touch screen. I solely rely on my telemetry voice read outs, the radio has multiple timers I don't use any of them.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:57 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Bat 60 looks like a very fine transmitter but I don't believe it was shipping when I switched to Jeti 2 years ago.
One of the main things I liked about Jeti was their willingness to listen to user requests and to quickly turn them into actual features via software updates. When I purchased my Jeti it was already a very capable transmitter and since then software updates have continued to make it even more so. The most recent update even added full 24 channel support. The telemetry capabilities are also second to none and the cost of most telemetry sensors is pretty reasonable as well. While I don't go too overboard with telemetry in most of my models, things like air pressure sensors and the DS16's ability to use sensor data to implement functions such as landing gear fail-safes, etc, is much appreciated.

While I'm not certain I'll upgrade to a DS24, that is strictly because my current DS16 meets my needs so well. But if at some point I decide I need some of the features that only the DS24 offers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Jeti.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:22 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Bob_B
I use a neck strap, may I suggest the same. Have flown that way for 30 plus years as I like the stability the strap provides. I really don't see them changing the case design anytime time soon, sorry.
I used a 12FG prior to this and I don't notice any difference. In fact the rubber side on the Jeti feel much better than side of the 12FG.
Yeah I fly with a neck strap since as well, like I said its just my hand size and this radios particular design. Not saying the radio isnt great and I could probably get away with it on jets and planes since I use my thumbs to fly but not with my helis since I use finger tips on them.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:43 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Weatronic gear in all my jets for 3yrs. I was on a 2year wait list for the Bat 60 and gave up waiting. Even now, some of the functions that made Weatronic ahead of the game are not available on the Bat. Still waiting for the ability to read the RF logs and use the receivers built in Gyros.

Other frustrations were that I had to import all equipment from Germany ( ultimate jets was not carrying it at the time), No one had any turbine compatible telemetry for Weatronic and there was none in sight ( Carsten is currently working on making his ASSI unit compatible( so this may be resolved soon). I had a lot of issues with the built in 3 axis gyro's glitching because of acoustic turbine noise ( this is not uncommon with early mems based gyro's but, Cortex and Powerbox have over come it). Telemetry is limited to one device in the receivers SCU port. To run more telemetry devices requires the MUX box, which is an excellent unit but way overkill for most applications. Adds $200 to the cost and takes up real estate in your plane. Personally, don't like the rocker switches on the top of the BAT. Love the Gizmo receivers....power management and unlimited programming flexibility. Use of Patch antennae

What I like better about the Jeti, far more telemetry available by Jeti and third party manufacturers, no telemetry "hub" required, more and less expensive receivers available. Better availability ( more retailers), innovations such as wireless switch to turn on model, locking switches, easy programming and good support.

They are both excellent systems Dantley, European manufactured, hardware with both is top quality. If the BAT had been available on schedule I probably would not have jumped ship but, looking at them now, if I didn't have either, the Jeti is more complete, has more variety of components/ receivers available. Weatronic is on their way to getting there but, not there yet. They move slower then Jeti.

Hope that helps

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 01-05-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:32 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I used Weatronics for several years with their module on my Multiplex Tx. Weatronic Rx were fitted to all my jets so I fully expected I would buy the BAT tx. At the Jet Power meeting in Germany in 2014 I held the Tx and pretended to use it for flying. It was unuseable!! That was a shame because I went to the show all ready to buy the BAT Tx.

1. The sticks felt like they were borne on sandpaper not bearings - imagine putting that out for the public to try at a major Jet fair! I thought if that's what they use to try and get customers, how bad is a normal one? A friend bought one of the very first and tells me the stick on his were just as rough. He has had his since it first went on sale and has still not flown any of his jets with it as he is so unimpressed by it.

2. The ergonomics are non-existent. To get fingers to the switches I had to twist my hand badly and almost get my thumb right off the stick. Also the rocker switches are aligned along the finger so when you try to press down on the far end with finger tip, the near end is being pressed down in opposition, by the rest of your finger. Oli will tell you the Tx measurements match a JR Tx but they don't, everyone I spoke to at Jet Power who had tried the BAT said the same as me, they couldn't use the thing. I sometimes look at the German forum rc-network and some there described the same problems, saying it had no ergonomic thought in it.

3. I, and some others including Weatronic staff, have experienced serious glitches with the in-built gyros. I almost lost a jet model to it so I lost all confidence and re-fitted all my jets with third-party external gyros which rather defeated one of Wea's advantages. Their gyros are prone to acoustic interference, meaning some sounds from the jet engine kick the gyro making it react very hard against imaginary turbulence, flipping the model inverted which is not nice turning finals low and slow. When I got the glitches I didn't know what it was and sent the log files to Wea, it was Wea who identified the gyro kicking at certain throttle settings, told me one of their models suffered it, and I was then able to demonstrate on the ground that the ailerons and rudder would shimmer and kick violently at certain throttle settings. I forget who but one of the north american weatronic users on this forum (edit, ah, it was luv2flyrc, see post above) has reported here that he has suffered from it on 3 different models.

So at the JP meeting I walked over from the Weatronic stand to the Jeti stand and handled the DS-16, everything was nicely in place, the sticks were nice, it logs reception data not as good as the Wea but enough to live with, the software is reasonable (after using a Multiplex 4000 for many years I cannot say that any other Tx has great software except for taranis/OpenTx!) and another major point for me is that Jeti has a great choice of on-board stuff like the central boxes, sensors etc. Now that the DS-16 has the 24 channel update to properly control the CB-400 that I have in my English Electric Lightning it is a hard to beat system especially for the price. It's not my idea of a perfect system but it's the best combination for the uses I have for it. My perfect system is OpenTx firmware in a JR case with Weatronic transmission system!

I have been very happy at my decision to convert to Jeti, been using it in my jets and gliders for just over a year and have no regrets or doubts about making the change.

Last edited by HarryC; 01-06-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.