Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 08:43 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by seattlebuoy
I am installing the LG15 on a Ultraflash with JP retracts.

I have an odd situation where one side of the brakes slowly decreasing to zero while holding brakes full while static on the bench. I swapped left and right and the effect still occurs on the same side. This seems to be solely dependent on the use of steering gain on the brakes config page. The higher the brake steer gain, the faster the fade/decrease on one side. Changing the brake steer gain from positive to negative changes the side it occurs. Set brake steer gain to zero and reboot will eliminate the issue and the brakes hold as commanded. Any ideas?

As an install note, I had to remove the permanent magnets in the wheel hubs to get consistent proportional braking and widen the servo channel band where it is proportional.
Turn off the pulse brake function, if you have it on and try that

Old 07-05-2020, 09:00 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by seattlebuoy
I am installing the LG15 on a Ultraflash with JP retracts.

I have an odd situation where one side of the brakes slowly decreasing to zero while holding brakes full while static on the bench. I swapped left and right and the effect still occurs on the same side. This seems to be solely dependent on the use of steering gain on the brakes config page. The higher the brake steer gain, the faster the fade/decrease on one side. Changing the brake steer gain from positive to negative changes the side it occurs. Set brake steer gain to zero and reboot will eliminate the issue and the brakes hold as commanded. Any ideas?

As an install note, I had to remove the permanent magnets in the wheel hubs to get consistent proportional braking and widen the servo channel band where it is proportional.
Check to see if you have any trim in steering or rudder.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:50 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I’ve found that the touch screens need to be calibrated fairly often. Fortunately, it’s easy to do. Hold pressure on the screen (with a stylus) and apply power, then follow the on screen directions.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:02 PM
seattlebuoy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took out all the steer trim and rebooted it after a set of changes. it seems that some changes will take effect without rebooting but the brake steer gain change woudl cause the issue I had. Rebooting alleviated the behavior. I could duplicate the reboot (no issue) or no reboot (one side would drop to zero) consistently when changing the brake steer gain.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:19 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
I’ve found that the touch screens need to be calibrated fairly often. Fortunately, it’s easy to do. Hold pressure on the screen (with a stylus) and apply power, then follow the on screen directions.
So a stylus, and a calibration. Got it! Didn't see touch screen calibration in any part of the manual, either...Thank God for this thread!
Old 07-06-2020, 05:09 PM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to find a hidden pushbutton. When I push in on the bottom of the case, it has an obvious detent (pushbutton) sound and feel. Any idea what that hidden button does?
Old 07-12-2020, 04:28 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

In this thread many talk about removing the magnets for more even braking. Tried that and now I have one brake that drags so badly I can't fly the model!
Looking for suggestions.

Last edited by Bob_B; 07-12-2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:05 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Bob_B
In this thread many talk about removing the magnets for more even braking. Tried that and now I have one brake that drags so badly I can't fly the model!
Looking for suggestions.
Have you tried adjusting the limit on the side that drags? On one of my T1 minis I have one wheel adjusted to only 70% limit while the other wheel is 100%.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:28 AM
Bob_B

I only have the simple Xicoy brake controller in this model.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:08 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Silly question, but does it drag in the vertical position (gear down), because mine drag in the horizontal position (gear up) but not vertical. Also if I roll the plane backwards sometimes it will drag on one side but not forwards... I had a problem with one side not engaging after I took them apart and took out the magnets. One of the axels had slid slightly and I had to reset it back and then it worked fine. They are a crappy design, they should have put some sort of light spring in there instead of the magnets to keep the disc from dragging or something.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:37 AM
Bob_B

Problem solved electron wheels and brakes on order!
The following users liked this post:
Dansy (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:38 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Looking for suggestions.
did you make sure not to drop the tiny shim When you took the wheel apart? If the shim is missing it will cause the wheel to drag.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:05 AM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have an Ultra Flash with JP retracts and LG15. The gear work perfectly on the ground....but once airborne, at least one gear goes not full retract most of the time. If I drop to landing flaps and slow the plane way down, they will full retract. Everything seems to be aligned correctly. Is air pressure stalling the gear? Do I just need to increase Amperage? Does anyone know where amps should be set for the mains? Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by cbk07
I also have an Ultra Flash with JP retracts and LG15. The gear work perfectly on the ground....but once airborne, at least one gear goes not full retract most of the time. If I drop to landing flaps and slow the plane way down, they will full retract. Everything seems to be aligned correctly. Is air pressure stalling the gear? Do I just need to increase Amperage? Does anyone know where amps should be set for the mains? Thanks in advance!!
‘When I had the JP in the T-1 which is the same size as the UF.....I got this from JP..if I remember correctly I was at 1.1a on My setup (now on a different brand)

The retract of our ER-150 start max current is about 1.2A. the working current is about 0.8A. not suggest to use with other brand controller
Old 07-12-2020, 12:09 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

try using a life 3 cell 9.9 volts.
jp seem to work better on these voltages.
dansy is correct Stall is about 1.1 and max is 0.8 on use.
however when its "braked by air"stall voltage go up to 2 amps easy.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:12 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by digitech
try using a life 3 cell 9.9 volts.
jp seem to work better on these voltages.
dansy is correct Stall is about 1.1 and max is 0.8 on use.
however when its "braked by air"stall voltage go up to 2 amps easy.
These number were from Shane.......
Old 07-12-2020, 12:16 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
These number were from Shane.......
yes and the answer is from me , i measure them with our CRU and the truth is somewhere different.. ;-).. next time i will make a screen shot of the stall amps
The following users liked this post:
cbk07 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 12:44 PM
cbk07

Thanks guys. Just so I understand...what is a safe amperage to set on the mains with a 2s Lipo? And if better to go with 3s Life, what amperage to set for that?
Old 07-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Dansy

Thanks guys. Just so I understand...what is a safe amperage to set on the mains with a 2s Lipo? And if better to go with 3s Life, what amperage to set for that?
the number I give you is for 2s lipo........not sure but some JP motors have been said to be 7.4 volt max, since apparently their controller lower voltage...I doubt that and didn’t keep them long enough to find out

i run mine on 2s lipo...
Old 07-12-2020, 01:59 PM
cbk07

the number I give you is for 2s lipo........not sure but some JP motors have been said to be 7.4 volt max, since apparently their controller lower voltage...I doubt that and didn’t keep them long enough to find out

i run mine on 2s lipo...
ok. Thanks Dan
Old 07-12-2020, 03:17 PM
bodywerks

i run mine on 2s lipo...
anything under a year old is rated for 2s unregulated lipo. I kept the email from them confirming this.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:19 PM
Tip22v

i run mine on 2s lipo...
You doubt the 7.5v limit even after I posted photos of my volt meter measuring the output voltage on my JP controller? If you don’t agree that’s fine, but it would really be more constructive to actually do you own experiment, like I did, and simply post your findings rather than pontificate on your gut feel. -Tom
Old 07-12-2020, 03:46 PM
bodywerks

You doubt the 7.5v limit even after I posted photos of my volt meter measuring the output voltage on my JP controller? If you don’t agree that’s fine, but it would really be more constructive to actually do you own experiment, like I did, and simply post your findings rather than pontificate on your gut feel. -Tom
I have an email from JP direct. Current production retract motors, unless otherwise stated, are rated for unregulated lipos. Yes voltage value in is the voltage value out on their, and xicoy controllers. And JP states that 2s lipo no problem. Even their controllers show 7.2v-8.4v on their input port.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:08 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by bodywerks
I have an email from JP direct. Current production retract motors, unless otherwise stated, are rated for unregulated lipos. Yes voltage value in is the voltage value out on their, and xicoy controllers. And JP states that 2s lipo no problem. Even their controllers show 7.2v-8.4v on their input port.
Yep, I agree that’s what JP says, however, I have two JP controllers where the input voltage is 8.4 volts and the output voltage is 7.5v, so how do they explain that? I also have two motors that burned up when running unregulated 2S Lipo, yet since I started regulating to 7.5v not a single motor burned in over 75 flights. I’m a big believer in trusting the manufacturer, until they give me reason not too. In this case it was very easy to prove, without a doubt that they have at least some versions of their controllers that reduce output voltage, and at some point in the past were making motors that could not handle more than 7.5ish volts. All I’m saying is trust but verify.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Dansy

Geez...didn’t mean to hurt your feeling.....

And I didn’t remember.....I don’t normally remember things that I read but has no impact on my setup....I’m on electron now anyway....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.