Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:22 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I put in 2S LiPo into the JP controller and it's output was 7.5 VDC. I just figured that they had a VR in the controller. Anyway, my JP controller went in the trash.

By the way, my Ultra-flash's turbine exploded this weekend when I was taxiing out to take off. It Destroyed the turbine totally and caught the fuse on fire a bit. The LGC 15 from that one is now a spare.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
I put in 2S LiPo into the JP controller and it's output was 7.5 VDC. I just figured that they had a VR in the controller. Anyway, my JP controller went in the trash.

By the way, my Ultra-flash's turbine exploded this weekend when I was taxiing out to take off. It Destroyed the turbine totally and caught the fuse on fire a bit. The LGC 15 from that one is now a spare.
That's a mighty unfortunate way to acquire a spare, sorry to hear about the loss. Hopefully, your airframe is salvageable. -Tom
Old 07-13-2020, 07:22 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
Yep, I agree that’s what JP says, however, I have two JP controllers where the input voltage is 8.4 volts and the output voltage is 7.5v, so how do they explain that? I also have two motors that burned up when running unregulated 2S Lipo, yet since I started regulating to 7.5v not a single motor burned in over 75 flights. I’m a big believer in trusting the manufacturer, until they give me reason not too. In this case it was very easy to prove, without a doubt that they have at least some versions of their controllers that reduce output voltage, and at some point in the past were making motors that could not handle more than 7.5ish volts. All I’m saying is trust but verify.
How old was that controller? Everything I'm speaking of are for products purchased in 2020. Can't speak for earlier products...
Old 07-20-2020, 10:24 PM
bodywerks

Interesting issue with my LG15 on my Ultra Flash. I have my 'steering mx' set at 0% in the brake screen, yet, when I go to push the jet around from pits to flight line the brakes activate in response to me swinging the tail around by hand, etc. My other controller is set up the same way but does not do this. I do have gyro braking activated, but that should only come into play when braking, no? Gyro braking is activated on my other jet without this issue.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:52 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by bodywerks
Interesting issue with my LG15 on my Ultra Flash. I have my 'steering mx' set at 0% in the brake screen, yet, when I go to push the jet around from pits to flight line the brakes activate in response to me swinging the tail around by hand, etc. My other controller is set up the same way but does not do this. I do have gyro braking activated, but that should only come into play when braking, no? Gyro braking is activated on my other jet without this issue.
I noticed this issue on one of my jets just this past weekend. This particular jet has the Electron GS-200 version of the controller. I have not noticed this behavior on my other two jets with the Xicoy LGC-15 version of the controller. Are you, by and chance, using the Electron GS-200 version on your Ultra Flash? Is your other controller the same Firmware version? Just out of curiosity, does your Ultra Flash have a 3-axis gyro (e.g. Cortex, Mercury SRS...)? If so, do you have the gyro output from your 3-axis gryo to your LGC-15 disabled?

This is definitely something I'm going to investigate more. First thing I will do is test the behavior on my three jets with this controller. I have a fourth LGC-15 controller as a spare so I will check that one also. Then I will check the firmware to see if I can narrow down the issue to a particular version of the firmware. -Tom

Last edited by Tip22v; 07-21-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:20 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

I noticed this issue on one of my jets just this past weekend. This particular jet has the Electron GS-200 version of the controller. I have not noticed this behavior on my other two jets with the Xicoy LGC-15 version of the controller. Are you, by and chance, using the Electron GS-200 version on your Ultra Flash? Is your other controller the same Firmware version? Just out of curiosity, does your Ultra Flash have a 3-axis gyro (e.g. Cortex, Mercury SRS...)? If so, do you have the gyro output from your 3-axis gryo to your LGC-15 disabled?

This is definitely something I'm going to investigate more. First thing I will do is test the behavior on my three jets with this controller. I have a fourth LGC-15 controller as a spare so I will check that one also. Then I will check the firmware to see if I can narrow down the issue to a particular version of the firmware. -Tom
I’m pretty sure the GS200 doesn’t have the same program.....it’s tuned for Electron, or so I was told.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:46 PM
bodywerks

This is a Xicoy LG-15 purchased direct from Pacific jets. As far as I know they only offer the LG15 and not the GS200. Not sure of the firmware version. It is only a few months newer than my other unit. I do not run any kind of gyro for any of my flight control surfaces on any of my aircraft so that is a non issue. The gyro refresh rate on this unit in my flash seems to be funky, too. I know my jp brakes are crap, as it seems most all of them are, but they 'seem' to brake fairly evenly. Yet when I come to a stop I can see my nosewheel go crazy as though it's fighting yaw terribly. I only have like 30% gain.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:27 AM
Dansy

The reason I don’t used anything on the steering but the servo and my finger......I hate fighting with automation..
Old 07-22-2020, 07:59 AM
Tip22v

This is a Xicoy LG-15 purchased direct from Pacific jets. As far as I know they only offer the LG15 and not the GS200. Not sure of the firmware version. It is only a few months newer than my other unit. I do not run any kind of gyro for any of my flight control surfaces on any of my aircraft so that is a non issue. The gyro refresh rate on this unit in my flash seems to be funky, too. I know my jp brakes are crap, as it seems most all of them are, but they 'seem' to brake fairly evenly. Yet when I come to a stop I can see my nosewheel go crazy as though it's fighting yaw terribly. I only have like 30% gain.
I had an issue with nose wheel wobble but I narrowed it down to having one gyro feeding another gyro, once I fixed that the problem subsided. Unfortunately I won't be able to do any testing on my LGC15 units until this upcoming weekend, but I'll let you know what I find on my three jets with these controllers. -Tom
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (07-22-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:31 PM
Tip22v

Okay, I tested all three of my jets that have the Xicoy gyro brake controller. Two of them are LGC-15 models with JP retracts, the other is GS-200 with Electron retracts. Both of the LGC-15 controllers have the Steering Mix set to 0% and when I move the aircraft around on the ground I do not get any differential braking. It turns out that I did have some differential braking (35%) set on my GS-200, so I changed it back to 0% and then moved the aircraft around; and the brakes still activated when I yawed the aircraft around! Weird, so I turned the unit off and back on again and moved the aircraft around again and this time there was no differential braking. Based on my findings it seems like there are some setting changes that don't take effect until you power off and power on the unit. I don't know if this is a defect in the unit or just a characteristic of the design. The next time I power it up I will definitely check it again to make sure the steering differential is off. Hope this helps somehow. -Tom
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:35 PM
bodywerks

Great info. Something I can experiment with as well. I now own three lg15s and a gs200. What's crazy is how easy they are to program once you've done it... a lot, lol!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:57 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

did you make sure not to drop the tiny shim When you took the wheel apart? If the shim is missing it will cause the wheel to drag.
Yes, i also bought different thickness shims to increase the gap on that wheel without luck.

The new Electron wheels and brakes work beautifully!

If anyone needs a set of 65mm wheels and rims let me know.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:40 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Yes, i also bought different thickness shims to increase the gap on that wheel without luck.

The new Electron wheels and brakes work beautifully!

If anyone needs a set of 65mm wheels and rims let me know.
Where did you buy the shims? Tom
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 AM
Tip22v

Great info. Something I can experiment with as well. I now own three lg15s and a gs200. What's crazy is how easy they are to program once you've done it... a lot, lol!
I agree, they get easier to understand once you’ve programmed a few of them.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Bob_B

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-sh...~5millimeters/
Old 08-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Bob_B

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-sh...~5millimeters/
Old 08-05-2020, 10:55 AM
Tip22v

Ahh, good ol’mcmaster. I should have known that
Old 09-18-2020, 06:51 AM
Big Sky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, going to need some help here, I purchased a LG-15, and in the process of hooking it up and TRYING to program it, it went up in smoke. Ordered a new one, but before I start messing with it when it gets here, I would like to reach out to someone with knowledge of programing one, if anyone thinks they can help me out when the new one arrives, please let me know, the instructions are not to helpful.
Not sure what happened or why, I'm using a DX-18 transmitter, a power safe receiver with 2, 2s lipos feeding it. Had all the gear plugged into controller, had gear out from receiver to gear in on controller, and power for controller plugged into aux channel on receiver for power. This is going in my T-1 mini fortune jet I just received, using the stock retracts that came with it. I then tried the JP brake controller and cant get it to do anything now either. I did check the transmitter using a separate servo in the gear channel, and the gear channel is working when I flip the switch, If anyone can help me when I get the new one, let me know, Thanks
Old 09-18-2020, 07:12 AM
Dansy

I have installed a few LG15 and GS200 which are the same....

First the smoking....the only way you could smoke the controller....with a 2s Lipo...is by reversing the power Into the controller....you may have smoke the JP retract Motors as well if they don't function at all with the JP controller....unless thats smoke as well (should be smelling it easily).

As for programming it....there's already an excellent tread thats should guide you Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Ooopss I didn't realize this one is the tread that explain the LG-15 very well?????.....with this tread from the top....thing should work just fine????

Last edited by Dansy; 09-18-2020 at 07:17 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-18-2020, 07:51 AM
Big Sky

Only smoke and or smell I got that I could tell was from the controller, can the retract motors be tested some how without using a controller? ie: applying power directly to positive and negative lead to the retract motors?
Old 09-18-2020, 09:26 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Only smoke and or smell I got that I could tell was from the controller, can the retract motors be tested some how without using a controller? ie: applying power directly to positive and negative lead to the retract motors?
‘That’s a big negative.....
Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you sure you are still getting power from your AUX channel?
Old 09-18-2020, 10:47 AM
Afterburners

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can manually test the retract but you need to be careful. I use an old 4.8v reciever pack. So if you briefly connect the pack to the retract and hear the motor and see it's moving in the opposite direction from where it is(ie, it's retracted and now it's extending or extended and now retracting, you can let it get close to its fully extended or retracted position but you need to remove power quickly as to not let the voltage sit there while the motor is binding. So if the retract is going in the wrong direction, reverse the polarity.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:20 PM
Big Sky

Originally Posted by Afterburners
You can manually test the retract but you need to be careful. I use an old 4.8v reciever pack. So if you briefly connect the pack to the retract and hear the motor and see it's moving in the opposite direction from where it is(ie, it's retracted and now it's extending or extended and now retracting, you can let it get close to its fully extended or retracted position but you need to remove power quickly as to not let the voltage sit there while the motor is binding. So if the retract is going in the wrong direction, reverse the polarity.
Cool, I'll give it a try over the weekend and see if I get any action out of them and let you know.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:31 PM
Big Sky

SO, using a spectrum DX-18 with a AR12120 power safe receiver, what would I set the lg15 to in the rc set up, not using s bus,so would it be single servo, dual servo or what? I would like to run from transmitter gear channel into gear in, then would I plug my retract servos into the ports on the side marked nose, main L and main R?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.