Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 10:05 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
I went by what he wrote 🤷🏻‍♂️
min his posts he mentions scrolling through screens, the LGC-13 does not have a screen, so I’m assuming he meant LGC-15.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:08 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v
min his posts he mentions scrolling through screens, the LGC-13 does not have a screen, so I’m assuming he meant LGC-15.
I’m pretty sure the LG13 is like the RS200 and you can used the Xicoy screen...but I don’t believe it’s programable....
Old 10-31-2020, 06:37 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Compared to the LGC15, the LGC 13 is not a very good controller. I threw mine away and went with the LGC15's. Never looked back!
Old 11-01-2020, 04:19 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

I’m pretty sure the LG13 is like the RS200 and you can used the Xicoy screen...but I don’t believe it’s programable....

You can set the current cut off for use with different retract systems. I have the LGC13 Installed in my rebel hot using a data Terminal you can program it
Old 11-01-2020, 05:22 AM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Hi,
I used the screen that came with my X45 Light to set up the LGC-13. It is a clunky interface. In the end I had to switch the polarity of the gear wires to get it set up. There is no SD card in the LGC-13.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:29 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
Hi,
I used the screen that came with my X45 Light to set up the LGC-13. It is a clunky interface. In the end I had to switch the polarity of the gear wires to get it set up. There is no SD card in the LGC-13.
Okay, please disregard my comments, I falsely assumed you were referring to a Xicoy LGC-15. -Tom
Old 11-02-2020, 01:17 PM
Big Sky
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

‘I know why...I have encounter that before.......the LG15 stop the steering with the gear up...and right now it knows the gear is UP, do a relearn...

Yes your switch is down and the gear is down...but the controller is up

a quick test switch the gear up and try the steering....
Still no steer, went through everything, got switch set up for the position I want for gear up and gear down, which matches the controller when it shows gear up and gear down. no steering in either position. receiver is sending out the steer command to controller. tried different servo to be sure and still cant get a steer command out of controller. Now what?
Old 11-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts

I know you won't want to hear this this but did you read the instructions about single channel or dual channel operation?
Old 11-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Big Sky

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Still no steer, went through everything, got switch set up for the position I want for gear up and gear down, which matches the controller when it shows gear up and gear down. no steering in either position. receiver is sending out the steer command to controller. tried different servo to be sure and still cant get a steer command out of controller. Now what?
Never mind, got it, had all steering gyro gains and what not set to 0, started putting in gyro gains and steering came alive, thank you.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Big Sky
Not sure what to say...it’s not that complicated.....take photo of you setup, I’m sure it’s easy to fix, and yes reading the manual with the controller and TX make things easier to learn.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:02 AM
Tip22v

Has anyone compared the LGC-15 to the Digitech CRU? I am currently operating three Xicoy LGC-15 units and recently purchased a Digitech CRU for comparison. At first, the DigiTech was a little intimating as there is no onboard screen, but that is not a problem if you are using Jeti because all the programming is done via the Device Explorer. The length and width of the two units are the same, the LGC-15 is a few mm more in height. I have not actually flown the Digitech CRU yet so I will reserve my opinions on the performance of the CRU until after my first few flights with it, I will say that taxi tests with the unit look very promising. Overall, so far, I'm very impressed with the Digitech CRU unit as it has many PROS over the LGC-15 if you are using a Jeti radio. If my test flights go well with the CRU I plan to replace all of my LGC-15 units in the near future.

Here are my PROS/CONS for the Digitech CRU so far:
PROS:
-If you use Jeti, programming is much easier and more convenient using Jeti Transmitter
-CRU is slightly smaller (in height)
-CRU is $50 less expensive
-CRU has option for Nose wheel brake (I don't use this option, but it's there if I needed it)
-CRU can send telemetry info to Jeti, can setup alarms for stuck gear doors etc.
-CRU works with only a single cable from the receiver (EX Bus) for gear signal, rudder signal, and brakes signal, and it's very easy to configure in the device explorer. Fewer wires for cleaner installation. I think the LGC-15 has this capability as well, but have not tinkered with it.
-No screen calibration errors to deal with like on the LGC-15, which seem to happen frequently.

CONS:
-The computer software needed to update the firmware is not very intuitive, although I was able to figure it out after only a few minutes of tinkering.
-If you are using a transmitter that does not have Jeti Device Explorer type capability I would not recommend the CRU because programming would presumably require a computer.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:12 AM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone compared the LGC-15 to the Digitech CRU? I am currently operating three Xicoy LGC-15 units and recently purchased a Digitech CRU for comparison. At first, the DigiTech was a little intimating as there is no onboard screen, but that is not a problem if you are using Jeti because all the programming is done via the Device Explorer. The length and width of the two units are the same, the LGC-15 is a few mm more in height. I have not actually flown the Digitech CRU yet so I will reserve my opinions on the performance of the CRU until after my first few flights with it, I will say that taxi tests with the unit look very promising. Overall, so far, I'm very impressed with the Digitech CRU unit as it has many PROS over the LGC-15 if you are using a Jeti radio. If my test flights go well with the CRU I plan to replace all of my LGC-15 units in the near future.

PROS:
-If you use Jeti, programming is much easier and more convenient using Jeti Transmitter
-CRU has option for Nose wheel brake (I don't use this option, but it's there if I needed it)
-CRU can send telemetry info to Jeti, can setup alarms for stuck gear doors etc.
-CRU works with only a single cable from the receiver (EX Bus) for gear signal, rudder signal, and brakes signal, and it's very easy to configure in the device explorer. Fewer wires for cleaner installation. I think the LGC-15 has this capability as well, but have not tinkered with it.
-No screen calibration errors to deal with like on the LGC-15, which seem to happen frequently.

CONS:
-The computer software needed to update the firmware is not very intuitive, although I was able to figure it out after only a few minutes of tinkering.
-If you are using a transmitter that does not have Jeti Device Explorer type capability I would not recommend the CRU because programming would presumably require a computer.
Thanks for this. Time to consider changing. Do you have a link to the instruction manual? How is it mounted?

Old 12-06-2020, 10:23 AM
Dansy

CRU Hands down for me....so much easier, the only draw back is only 4 doors...versus 8 for the LG15C
Old 12-06-2020, 01:31 PM
Tip22v

CRU Hands down for me....so much easier, the only draw back is only 4 doors...versus 8 for the LG15C
good call out on the 4 doors vs. the 8 on the LCG-15. I don’t have anything with more than three doors so I’m good there, I could see others finding this limit a problem though.

Last edited by Tip22v; 12-06-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by mirored
Thanks for this. Time to consider changing. Do you have a link to the instruction manual? How is it mounted?
do a google search for Digitech CRU and you will find their website with an illustrated manual in English.

as for mounting, you can buy their 3D mounting bracket or you can make your own with a piece of 1/16 plywood and some two side tape (I made my own).
Old 12-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Dansy

good call out on the 4 doors vs. the 8 on the LCG-15. I don’t have anything with more than three doors so I’m good there, I could see others finding this limit a problem though.
I setup one last winter with 9 doors....that was fun...

I either 3D print my mount or simply used Double side tape....
Old 12-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

PROS:

CONS:
Thanks for the nice words
I'm sorry about the "Programmer" application that is used for uploading new firmware to the CRU, you are right, its not very intuitive. Its a program I use for many other embedded projects/systems I have made over the years, so it was a way of saving some development time.
Regarding using the CRU without Jeti, that's not gonna happen in the near future. There are so many feature to setup in the CRU that it would make for a somewhat complex application. A good example is the gear door sequencer, when you program that, you do it interactively. And it is SO much easier doing it from the transmitter than to have to do it from a PC.
So for now, and for a long time, its only JETI
PS: I'm the developer of both the hardware and software for the CRU and a "few" other things
Old 12-07-2020, 10:33 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Thanks for the nice words
I'm sorry about the "Programmer" application that is used for uploading new firmware to the CRU, you are right, its not very intuitive. Its a program I use for many other embedded projects/systems I have made over the years, so it was a way of saving some development time.
Regarding using the CRU without Jeti, that's not gonna happen in the near future. There are so many feature to setup in the CRU that it would make for a somewhat complex application. A good example is the gear door sequencer, when you program that, you do it interactively. And it is SO much easier doing it from the transmitter than to have to do it from a PC.
So for now, and for a long time, its only JETI
PS: I'm the developer of both the hardware and software for the CRU and a "few" other things
Carsten,
Thanks for clarification, I was not sure about how it would work without Jeti. No worries on the firmware updater program, once I figured out how to update the firmware it was pretty easy. I think you did a really good job with how the brake functions are organized in the Device Explorer. I have not tried the retract or door sequencer programming yet, but I'm confident it will be as straight forward as the brake settings.

I do have a question for you: in the LGC-15 you can select Heading Hold for Gyro Braking as an option (verses Rate Mode), I have not found a way to do that in the CRU, is this an option with the CRU?

Thanks again- Tom

Old 12-07-2020, 11:21 PM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Carsten,
Thanks for clarification, I was not sure about how it would work without Jeti. No worries on the firmware updater program, once I figured out how to update the firmware it was pretty easy. I think you did a really good job with how the brake functions are organized in the Device Explorer. I have not tried the retract or door sequencer programming yet, but I'm confident it will be as straight forward as the brake settings.

I do have a question for you: in the LGC-15 you can select Heading Hold for Gyro Braking as an option (verses Rate Mode), I have not found a way to do that in the CRU, is this an option with the CRU?

Thanks again- Tom
Thanks Tom,
regarding the gyro, only rate is supported in the firmware.
To be honest, the door sequencer is (almost) the thing I'm most proud of, it shows brilliantly why Jeti in combination with the device explorer (and a device that is supported by the device explorer) is such a fine combination
Regards,
Carsten
Old 12-13-2020, 10:28 PM
nightctman

Default Hope I can get some help

Having a hard time setting up the T-1 mini again. This time my Futaba 14 channel receiver had two ports that were not working so the LG-15 was not recognizing the brake setup. Now I have the brake wire in my DG1 input and it is working now. I had the two channel setup but now when I cycle through all the options it is gone. I see one channel, Futaba S-bus etc but not the two channel option. It is currently set to one channel. All my control surfaces work, retracts, door, and now brakes. What's the difference between the one channel and two channel RC setup? I got the PNP from Dirk. Kinda wishing I saved some money and just built it myself, servos not centered before horns put on and stuff like that. How many mm of down elevator are you guys mixing in with half and full flaps?
Thanks again,
Matthew

Last edited by nightctman; 12-13-2020 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Deleted a question
Old 12-14-2020, 06:15 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by nightctman
Having a hard time setting up the T-1 mini again. This time my Futaba 14 channel receiver had two ports that were not working so the LG-15 was not recognizing the brake setup. Now I have the brake wire in my DG1 input and it is working now. I had the two channel setup but now when I cycle through all the options it is gone. I see one channel, Futaba S-bus etc but not the two channel option. It is currently set to one channel. All my control surfaces work, retracts, door, and now brakes. What's the difference between the one channel and two channel RC setup? I got the PNP from Dirk. Kinda wishing I saved some money and just built it myself, servos not centered before horns put on and stuff like that. How many mm of down elevator are you guys mixing in with half and full flaps?
Thanks again,
Matthew
With only one wire going into the LG15e mean your serial control...all gear/brakes/steering for me on jeti it would be EXbus not sure what Futaba would be.....

For the mixing I’m not sure, but I’m sure the futaba can do single flight mode trim...that’s the way I have it on my TX .....first flight I put the flap to T/O adjust trim full flap adjust trim and it’s set for life.,,,
Old 12-22-2020, 02:26 AM
nightctman

Default Still struggling

Need some help with how to use the LG-15 with a power box product such as the Pioneer. I removed the deck from the T-1 mini so I could see what was what etc. I did not see that the two JST type leads that power the receiver where just connected to the main battery lead that feeds the MPX connector to power the retracts and brakes. I have been reading the manual more and understand now that the computer part of the LG-15 gets its power from the gear in signal wire from the receiver. Do I need to have both of those JST type power connections plugged into the receiver? How many batteries do I really need to power this? If I had a battery for Turbine, 2 for the Pioneer, and one for the retracts / brakes that would be four etc. Is there a better way to wire this up? I disconnected everything and then reconnected to make sure I can do it, but I am confused how to make this better. I would like to run two receivers and not have to use four separate batteries. My 12 channels receiver is not helping as I have a 16SZ, the SRS expander and the Gemini II are other PB products I have been looking at.
Thanks in advance,
Matthew
Old 12-22-2020, 04:47 AM
Dansy

Not 100% sure I understand, so I will just try to explain what I do....

I only used 2 RX’s batteries and 1 ECU.....I always connect the Gear controller to the #2 battery, of course the normal connection like GEAR/BRAKE/STEERING/DOOR as well...in doing this the door and steering are actually power by the RX connection while the retract and brakes from the #2 battery....
Old 12-22-2020, 04:06 PM
MarkF

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

JST connectors are only good for 2 amps so I'm not sure if that's the problem. MPX and other connectors can do more amps. Just a thought.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:03 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by MarkF
JST connectors are only good for 2 amps so I'm not sure if that's the problem. MPX and other connectors can do more amps. Just a thought.
‘I have used JST for retract in the past not a problem....I would think they are good for at least 5amps...pretty much the same connection as the servo connectors?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.