Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an LG15 on the way. Ordered it from Dirk. I also fired up the Castle Link software that I had on my bench computer and it listed the specific BEC I also ordered. It gave me the screen to change the output. That link is a couple years old. Hopefully I have the connector necessary to connect the link to the BEC.

We'll see what capability the LG15 has when it gets here. If this works as well as is stated above, I suspect I'll end up with a second one going in the UFlash. Unfortunately, the T-One's will take a bit of work as the current LG controller is under the deck and the LG15 will need to be on top of the deck for access to it. Maybe I'll just swap the Braincube to under the deck, add the VR down there and put the LG 15 in the braincube controller's place on the deck. Then its back on the CG Scale cause I want to move the cg forward a bit.

Hope the snow stays away so I can test this before a real winter sets in.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Len Todd

Well my old castle link and old castle program worked just fine on the voltage regulator. The link just plugs into the VR's output. The JP controller's output that I measured on the bench today was 6.9 VDC. So I set the VR for 6.9 v. There is a video on utube that explains what to do. But really you don't need it. The program senses that you have a BEC and sets the menu appropriately, select the BASIC tab and then select the voltage and then select UPDATE and you are done.

I set the LG15 upon the bench with another Rxer and am about to start programming. The main screen is slick in that if you rotate the LG15, you can see the gyro taking corrective action on the braking. Need to go back thru this thread to ID appropriate settings to start with.

I suspect the door function will be the trickiest to program. Read the Manual three times and it is a little vague about the sequencing setup. Never could get the JP controller to work the door correctly as I could not figure out how to limit the travel. Used the DX18's door function instead. But now, I'll run the door out of the LG15. Probably will put the Braincube Nav Light controller down under the deck seeing how it does not have any switches or user interface to deal with. Then put the LG15 above the deck seeing how I may want to make some adjustments.

Still not sure about the wheel magnets. The T-One's OEM gear is metal disk to rubber pads. Might be good to have the wheel magnets in. I may put them back in and see how the LG15 works with them. Hopefully the snow keeps melting here, and I can get this out on the concrete tomorrow to give the brakes a try.The Prolinks on the UF are metal to metal. I suspect that the UF will be the next one to see the LG15 upgrade.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 AM
Len Todd

Got the LG15 in the T-1 and programmed. Lots of work physically changing things around. But all the bench testing indicates the gyro is working on the brakes and steering. May have to wait a while to test it on the runway as it started snowing and freezing rain today. There is one new menu selection that is NOT addressed in the manual or discussed in this thread. I ignored it and all seems well. Also, pressing save pad does not always seem to work. But, when you go back using the X, it seems to have saved the settings correctly. Had to go back an undo a few things in the transmitter (e.g. un-reverse the gear channel, turn off the door sequencer in the Txer, etc.) The setting for the motors had to be set at .7 amps to run the OEM gear. When I get done re-verifying all the settings, I'll post them.

But overall I am quite pleased with the end result. Ordered another one for the Ultra Flash. Talk about service, when I ordered the second one, Dirk asked; what happened to the first one? Where else do you get that degree of service/satisfaction?
Old 01-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Got the LG15 in the T-1 and programmed. Lots of work physically changing things around. But all the bench testing indicates the gyro is working on the brakes and steering. May have to wait a while to test it on the runway as it started snowing and freezing rain today. There is one new menu selection that is NOT addressed in the manual or discussed in this thread. I ignored it and all seems well. Also, pressing save pad does not always seem to work. But, when you go back using the X, it seems to have saved the settings correctly. Had to go back an undo a few things in the transmitter (e.g. un-reverse the gear channel, turn off the door sequencer in the Txer, etc.) The setting for the motors had to be set at .7 amps to run the OEM gear. When I get done re-verifying all the settings, I'll post them.

But overall I am quite pleased with the end result. Ordered another one for the Ultra Flash. Talk about service, when I ordered the second one, Dirk asked; what happened to the first one? Where else do you get that degree of service/satisfaction?
What was the new menu that was not in the manual?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Len Todd

The new menu selection = "Serv.Off"

I suspect it is to turn off servo output ports that you may not want to use. ???

I ignored this selection and the nose door works just fine out of servo #1. In the attached PDF, on page 2, are my LG15 initial settings.
Attached Files
Old 01-31-2019, 04:50 PM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering delayed in engaging

I have a question.
When I have the nose steering run through the LG15 upon deploying the gear the steering does not work for 11 to 14 seconds. I admit that I will probably be on final at least that long, but I have a feeling this is not normal and would like to correct this issue.
If the steering is run directly, instead of through the LG15, the steering is there right away.
What did I do wrong? I have not seen any report of anyone else having this issue.
Running FrSky S8R receiver ( built in gyro ) and a 16 channel decoder, using 15 of the available channels. Everything on its own channel. Using 2S life batteries, one for the receiver, one for the controller.
This is all in a Jet Mach Super Sport with a K-100 for power.
John
Old 01-31-2019, 05:34 PM
Len Todd

Been several weeks since I programmed mine. If I recall correctly, the steering does not go on until the gear program completes the deployment. So, the first place I would look is at the gear programing. It could be that you have excessive delay in the gear programming. Also, If I recall correctly, there is one other delay setting, in another menu, that can impact the gear program. I'd have to get the book back out to verify this and I am up to my eyeballs in another build right now. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:57 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

I will look at mine as well tomorrow, pretty sure it’s on right away.....I just finished programming everything today (LG15 and Cortex Pro upgrade on the mini)...but frankly I haven’t finished double/triple checking everything....
Old 01-31-2019, 06:58 PM
Tip22v

Are you testing this without the main gear hooked up? If so you will get this delay, you should not get this delay with all three gear connected. -Tom
Old 01-31-2019, 08:08 PM
john491

I have been testing with one wing half disconnected, nose and one main, as I don't have enough space to swing around 83" very easily. I will try again with both mains connected and see what happens.
Thanks to all,
John
Old 02-01-2019, 05:45 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by john491
I have been testing with one wing half disconnected, nose and one main, as I don't have enough space to swing around 83" very easily. I will try again with both mains connected and see what happens.
Thanks to all,
John
Let us know how it does with both mains connected.
I have a similar issue with space, I made extension cables so that I could connect the wing servos/brakes/retracts without needing to mount the wings to the aircraft. -Tom
Old 02-01-2019, 06:10 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

John the steering will not be enabled until the gear sequence is completed. This can be programming including doors are taking to long. Lots of settings in that little box and one is off somewhere. I had the same problem programming the B2 because you don't fly that plane with the gear down since its so unstable with it out. You deploy it right before turning for final so I had to speed up the gear down sequence to get nose steering active in time.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Dansy

I have a question.
When I have the nose steering run through the LG15 upon deploying the gear the steering does not work for 11 to 14 seconds. I admit that I will probably be on final at least that long, but I have a feeling this is not normal and would like to correct this issue.
If the steering is run directly, instead of through the LG15, the steering is there right away.
What did I do wrong? I have not seen any report of anyone else having this issue.
Running FrSky S8R receiver ( built in gyro ) and a 16 channel decoder, using 15 of the available channels. Everything on its own channel. Using 2S life batteries, one for the receiver, one for the controller.
This is all in a Jet Mach Super Sport with a K-100 for power.
John
My steering is available as soon as my extension is completed (doors remain open) which is 8.29 secs

But note if you have door (s) that need closing after the gear is down...then it won’t be available until they are closed.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:51 PM
john491

I hooked up both wings and still have a 14 sec delay.
I have no doors. I do not think I changed much programming from original, Although I was in the process of setting the parameters as listed in the thread above. I changed the gain %, and the gyro gain, and the steering center. I adjusted the brake pulse ratio, the steering and gain mixes, and changed to heading hold. All else I hadn't gotten to when this problem cropped up.
I do not remember where the settings were when I started.
Is there some sort of reset I can do? Else I can go back and reset everything to "0".
I don't think I changed anything to the retract cycle.
John
Old 02-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Dansy

I hooked up both wings and still have a 14 sec delay.
I have no doors. I do not think I changed much programming from original, Although I was in the process of setting the parameters as listed in the thread above. I changed the gain %, and the gyro gain, and the steering center. I adjusted the brake pulse ratio, the steering and gain mixes, and changed to heading hold. All else I hadn't gotten to when this problem cropped up.
I do not remember where the settings were when I started.
Is there some sort of reset I can do? Else I can go back and reset everything to "0".
I don't think I changed anything to the retract cycle.
John
What's your cycling time from up to down ?

look into the sequence....no door I would used/try zero for time on everything....(mind you I never program one without doors...)
Old 02-12-2019, 05:28 PM
john491

I seem to have found the problem.
In the motor menu the max time had been set at 20. I lowered it to 5 which is as low as it will allow, and the steering is active as soon as the down lock engages.
Thanks everyone
John
Old 02-13-2019, 08:40 AM
Tip22v

I seem to have found the problem.
In the motor menu the max time had been set at 20. I lowered it to 5 which is as low as it will allow, and the steering is active as soon as the down lock engages.
Thanks everyone
John
Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it I have not changed any motor menu settings on my units, it will be interesting to see if mine are also set at 20. -Tom
Old 02-15-2019, 01:33 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these with electron retracts.
It worked fine until i selected s-bus as the input rather than servos.
The brakes and steering work fine, but i have my gear on channel DG1 ( channel 17) and the LG15 only sees 2 us of movement when i flick the switch.
When i change the gear channel to for example channel 15, the LG15 sees that and the gear moves.

There is something odd about the two binary channels on the 18mz, its odd because the powerbox sees channel 17 normally, and activated the gear, just not over s-bus
Old 03-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Len Todd

Well, … I am getting around to putting one in the Ultra Flash. But the UF is a lot lighter than the T-One. Never could get the LG 13 in it now to avoid the brake dance. Hopefully this will do the trick.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Tip22v

Well, … I am getting around to putting one in the Ultra Flash. But the UF is a lot lighter than the T-One. Never could get the LG 13 in it now to avoid the brake dance. Hopefully this will do the trick.
It took a little tinkering but it worked for my two T-1 minis and my T1.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Len Todd

Tip22v - Got one in the T-One. What Gains did you end up with?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Tip22v

Tip22v - Got one in the T-One. What Gains did you end up with?
I'll check tonight and let you know. FYI, I'm running Electron wheels and brakes in my T1.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Len Todd

Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Tip22v

Here are my settings for my T1 with Electron Wheels/Brakes:

Gryo Gain: -50%
Steering Mix: -60%
Gyro Mix: 60%

I use Heading Hold

i recommend trying to get the brakes as even as possible using the individual brake force adjustment before setting up the gyro, this will adjust out any significant differences in the physical braking differential before allowing the gyro to fine tune the rest.

These numbers should get you in the ball park. Of course, you may need to reverse the polarity of any of mine based as you radio and setup may be different.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Tip22v

Here are my settings for my T1 with Electron Wheels/Brakes:

Gryo Gain: -50%
Steering Mix: -60%
Gyro Mix: 60%

I use Heading Hold

i recommend trying to get the brakes as even as possible using the individual brake force adjustment before setting up the gyro, this will adjust out any significant differences in the physical braking differential before allowing the gyro to fine tune the rest.

These numbers should get you in the ball park. Of course, you may need to reverse the polarity of any of mine based as you radio and setup may be different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.