Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 06:45 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by winter1
That is a good idea. Have you set it so that the brakes operate when the elevator control lever moves from 0% (middle stick position) to 100%? And only with the gear extended. ****winter***
That’s how mine are configured.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:37 AM
camss69

This video is really well done and the Electron controller is the exact same as the LG15.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:08 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

That is a good idea. Have you set it so that the brakes operate when the elevator control lever moves from 0% (middle stick position) to 100%? And only with the gear extended. ****winter***
Yes.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:10 AM
Tip22v

Originally Posted by camss69
This video is really well done and the Electron controller is the exact same as the LG15.

https://youtu.be/5nJzwbkBpKY
I agree, this video is well done and worth watching.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:55 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

https://youtu.be/5nJzwbkBpKY

+2 I agree with you guys, I watched on the treadmill one day and it is all good info.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:56 AM
winter1

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok ... Thanks for the driver setup links. I've seen them a few times. They're really well done. Today I was setting up ECU + Kingtech telemetry for the turbine. It went pretty well. I do the brake control like Tom and canss69. I think it's more comfortable than the button on the bottom of the Tx. In addition, the brakes will be controlled proportionally. ***winter***
Old 02-22-2020, 10:20 AM
camss69

Ok ... Thanks for the driver setup links. I've seen them a few times. They're really well done. Today I was setting up ECU + Kingtech telemetry for the turbine. It went pretty well. I do the brake control like Tom and canss69. I think it's more comfortable than the button on the bottom of the Tx. In addition, the brakes will be controlled proportionally. ***winter***
The plane I have with the brakes setup on down elevator doesn’t have an LG15 in it. If it did I would set it up on a slider so I’m not lifting the rear wheels up when I go to add brake, and I’m not wheelbarrowing on the nose gear. With the LG15 once setup right you just hit the slider and let it do the rest itself.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:23 AM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

The plane I have with the brakes setup on down elevator doesn’t have an LG15 in it. If it did I would set it up on a slider so I’m not lifting the rear wheels up when I go to add brake, and I’m not wheelbarrowing on the nose gear. With the LG15 once setup right you just hit the slider and let it do the rest itself.
Totally agree.....
Old 02-22-2020, 02:01 PM
winter1

If I understand it correctly. If you have an LG15 or GS200 driver in your model. It would not be assigned to the elevator control lever. Would you assign it to a proportional controller (slider) on the side of the Tx, for example, or to a switch? ***winter***
I'm a little confused. Above wrote:

. camss69 , Today 02:45 PM
Quote:
That’s how mine are configured.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:01 PM
Tip22v

I definitely would not setup a taildragger with brakes mixed to down elevator for that reason. However, on my jets (with a nose wheel) I’ve never experienced any of the wheelbarrowing you describe, and I brake hard due to our short runway. Perhaps wheelbarrowing is possible if you touch down at very high speed, that I would not know. What I don’t understand is why your worried about wheelbarrowing without the LG-15, but you are not worried about it with the LG15?
Old 02-22-2020, 05:04 PM
camss69

Originally Posted by Tip22v
I definitely would not setup a taildragger with brakes mixed to down elevator for that reason. However, on my jets (with a nose wheel) I’ve never experienced any of the wheelbarrowing you describe, and I brake hard due to our short runway. Perhaps wheelbarrowing is possible if you touch down at very high speed, that I would not know. What I don’t understand is why your worried about wheelbarrowing without the LG-15, but you are not worried about it with the LG15?
Taildragger?? Where did you get that from?

I didn’t say I wasn’t worried about it with the LG15 I said I would set it up on a slider instead of using down elevator.

When applying down elevator you are putting pressure on the nose wheel that you wouldn’t be if you were using a slider.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:59 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 160 Likes on 143 Posts

Slider is pretty much the best way to use brake.....because once I get on the brake the plane is no longer flying so I can let go of the right stick.....using elevator down unload the wheel somewhat..

Elevator was used in the dark ages, and encourage by the old folks.....because of the TX programming restrictions back in the days...I since have moved into the 21th century
Old 02-22-2020, 06:06 PM
Tip22v

Taildragger?? Where did you get that from?

I didn’t say I wasn’t worried about it with the LG15 I said I would set it up on a slider instead of using down elevator.

When applying down elevator you are putting pressure on the nose wheel that you wouldn’t be if you were using a slider.
I’m just saying that I would agree with you on the down elevator pressure if I was flying a taildragger. But I don’t agree the down pressure on a nose gear is significant enough to worry about, just my .02. If the down pressure on your nose gear concerns you then the slider is an option, there is no right or wrong way to activate the brakes, do whatever works for you
Old 02-23-2020, 12:01 AM
winter1

Ok guys. I'll try both options. Then I'll let you know which one I chose. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages. A - more comfortable operation. Risk of high pressure on the front wheel. B - less comfortable operation. No impact on the front wheel. Thanks a lot. If anyone has any other suggestions - here with them. ***winter***
Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Tip22v

Ok guys. I'll try both options. Then I'll let you know which one I chose. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages. A - more comfortable operation. Risk of high pressure on the front wheel. B - less comfortable operation. No impact on the front wheel. Thanks a lot. If anyone has any other suggestions - here with them. ***winter***
There is another option (that has not been mentioned here) that I've read about elsewhere: using the accelerometer function in Jeti radio to activate brakes. Instead of using a slider or up-stick mix you simply tilt the transmitter to activate the brakes. From what I understand it is proportional, but you would have to make sure you are not tilting the transmitter at touch down otherwise you may inadvertently land with the brakes pre-locked. I like the idea of this method more so than using a slider because the last thing I want to be doing right during one of the most intensive parts of the flight (touch down) is fumbling to find the slider to apply brakes. I understand this would not be an issue for those of you with runways long enough to have the time to transition to the slider for braking, however that is not the case for me as our runway if very short, so getting to the brakes quickly is imperative. I think I'll play around with this the next time I'm out at the field and at least try it out with some high speed taxi. - Tom
Old 02-24-2020, 10:07 AM
camss69

There is another option (that has not been mentioned here) that I've read about elsewhere: using the accelerometer function in Jeti radio to activate brakes. Instead of using a slider or up-stick mix you simply tilt the transmitter to activate the brakes. From what I understand it is proportional, but you would have to make sure you are not tilting the transmitter at touch down otherwise you may inadvertently land with the brakes pre-locked. I like the idea of this method more so than using a slider because the last thing I want to be doing right during one of the most intensive parts of the flight (touch down) is fumbling to find the slider to apply brakes. I understand this would not be an issue for those of you with runways long enough to have the time to transition to the slider for braking, however that is not the case for me as our runway if very short, so getting to the brakes quickly is imperative. I think I'll play around with this the next time I'm out at the field and at least try it out with some high speed taxi. - Tom
Let me know what you think if you try it, I’d be interested to know. I have Jeti as well and read that before but forgot about it. I actually changed fields to fly jets, I went from a 400’ paved runway to a 600’ petromat, the petromat is great because it’s longer but it’s also a lot slicker so any bit of inconsistent braking and you start sliding sideways.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:22 AM
Tip22v

Let me know what you think if you try it, I’d be interested to know. I have Jeti as well and read that before but forgot about it. I actually changed fields to fly jets, I went from a 400’ paved runway to a 600’ petromat, the petromat is great because it’s longer but it’s also a lot slicker so any bit of inconsistent braking and you start sliding sideways.
Will do, our runway is only 300' paved, but five minute drive to get there. I'm a member of another club with a 400' paved runway but it's an hour drive so I tend to stick to the closer field. I've never flown any of my jets from a petromat but I can certainly understand how it would be slicker than asphalt, but with 600' you should be able to almost coast to a stop
Old 02-24-2020, 12:57 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I forgot about that option too. Haven't tried it but I would prefer it to a slider. I use the acc. to report timer and fuel remaining but always meant to try it for brakes.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:30 AM
winter1

Dansy, at the controller GS200 / LG15 / you use normal servo mode or JETI EXBUS. ***winter***
Old 02-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Dansy

Dansy, at the controller GS200 / LG15 / you use normal servo mode or JETI EXBUS. ***winter***
Depends if I have a spare ExBus port or not......I use the CTU so I normally have at least 2 more ExBus, but even with that I sometime run out....do sensors
Old 02-25-2020, 02:06 PM
winter1

I need picture, wiring connectors in case of using JETI EXBUS + GS200. Complete wiring + Whether additional power cable is needed on the side: gear ............. steering. ***winter***
Old 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM
Dansy

That stuff is pretty basic.....To connect ExBus.....from ExBus port to Gear port on the GSU, otherwise its like connecting servos....pretty you can figure that one LOL
Old 02-25-2020, 05:09 PM
camss69

It’s all covered in that video as well as the manual..
Old 02-25-2020, 11:19 PM
winter1

Guys, I said, that English is not my native language. It happens that I misunderstand or overlook something in the manual. Answers that there is something in the manual or that it is a basic wiring will not help me.
When explaining something, I try to be understandable or attach some photos for better understanding.
My main point is whether there will be sufficient power supply servos (cable cross-section). If you need to add some extra cable + - for example to the port: / steering in / or / brake in /. I think yeah it described in the instructions, I just want to confirm it or clarify. Thank you ***winter***

Last edited by winter1; 02-26-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:30 AM
winter1

I tried the GS200 connection and setup yesterday. It was incredibly easy. Thanks guys / Tom, Dansy, ...... /
What is your current setup: T1 - GS200 / LG15 / - Electron ***winter***

Tom, I think you had the basic setup:
Gyro Gain: -50%
Steering Mix: -60%
Gyro Mix: 60%
Heading Hold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.