Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

powersmoke 740 smoke pump leak

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

powersmoke 740 smoke pump leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 05:17 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default powersmoke 740 smoke pump leak

I have a emcotec powersmoke 740 smoke pump that is beginning to leak at the face plate. The two screws that hold the face plate on are tight. No leaking is apparent from the fuel line connections on the face plate. but after each flight there is a small quantity of smoke oil below the face plate.I am hesitant to open it up not knowing what i will run into.
Has anyone seen this problem, and if so were you able to fix it without send it back to the factory? I am guessing it is a o ring problem but am reluctant to open it up.
Thanks for any help you can give me,
Stan
Old 12-12-2019, 11:18 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm bet it has an O ring like the others, I handle a few Tamjets ones throughout the years, Tam used to work on his pumps before shipping them to make sure they worked, the key here is to tighten the two screws back on just enough to allow the gears to run freely, there is a point where the plate presses on the gears and it's hard for the motor to move them.

I would lube the O ring with thick O ring lube first, if that doesn't do the trick, change the O ring and reset the front plate to the point explained above.

Fuel pumps are the same way but way more critical.

Last edited by CARS II; 12-12-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:59 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by CARS II
I'm bet it has an O ring like the others, I handle a few Tamjets ones throughout the years, Tam used to work on his pumps before shipping them to make sure they worked, the key here is to tighten the two screws back on just enough to allow the gears to run freely, there is a point where the plate presses on the gears and it's hard for the motor to move them.

I would lube the O ring with thick O ring lube first, if that doesn't do the trick, change the O ring and reset the front plate to the point explained above.

Fuel pumps are the same way but way more critical.
sounds like what I need to do.
I'll give it a try.
thanks for the quick response.
stan
Old 12-12-2019, 03:09 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Make sure you turn the screws just a bit at the time at the end then test for leaks.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:01 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by CARS II
Make sure you turn the screws just a bit at the time at the end then test for leaks.
i have several of these smoke pumps and I checked the screws on the others, they were all tight. maybe this is the norm for this pump.