Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Futaba 12FG with modern electric planes throttle cut how?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12FG with modern electric planes throttle cut how?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 12:43 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Futaba 12FG with modern electric planes throttle cut how?

Hey guys, I have a Futaba 12FG and I was wondering if anyone has successfully programmed the radio to cut the throttle off for and electric plane. this is one of the only things I cant seem to get working right. partially because Futaba programming is convoluted and I have a hard time understanding their way of thinking.

I have a bit of a back story that may need to be heard. I have successfully used a lemon RX DSMP DIY module for legacy transmitters so I can use my existing Spektrum systems installed in my planes. via the trainer port. so the radio has to be operated in trainer mode. Trainer mode might be why I can't seem to get this to work. however, I am able to bind to Spektrum receivers and program the switches to work with SAFE modes. beginner, intermediate and off. everything works on my apprentice STS except the throttle cut. anyone think they might know how to help me?

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 06-06-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:02 PM
FUTABA-RC

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Easiest thing is to set a dual rate on throttle. Set a switch to give you a zero throttle curve regardless of stick position when active.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:35 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Page 103 of the manual shows how to set this up using a selectable switch.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 06-28-2023, 03:10 AM
RCoffroadracer

Originally Posted by modtron
Page 103 of the manual shows how to set this up using a selectable switch.

modtron
Oxford UK
Ive been successful getting it to work for my electric edf jet using the standard wing types in the stock programming of the radio and futaba receivers per the manual. I cant seem to get it to work with the lemon rx module doing the transmitting to spektrum receivers. Must be the issue.
I Found a review of this radio where the guy had found several programming features of the radio he couldnt get to work right either.
i have a basic sig kadet trainer glow powered and i cant get the throttle cut to work with it which its intended. When i flip the switch to cut the engine, it operates the servo the wrong direction. Theres no setting to reverse it.
Im giving up on this radio and buying something modern. 08 doesn't seem all that long ago but this radio is far behind. Seems like an experiment radio that was full of bugs and futaba quickly abandoned it

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 06-28-2023 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:13 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing wrong with the Futaba 12FG, certainly not an experimental rig as you suggest.

Futaba designs equipment to work properly with it's accessories, not those of other manufacturers. Using other equipment invites conflicts as you have learned. Generally the channel mapping differs from Futaba so when programming certain functions it may or may not work due to a missing channel link.

Spektrum, Lemon and a host of knockoffs all operate on the original JR systems channel mapping and mixing functions although well updated over the years. Aftermarket manufacturers follow that pattern to insure compatibility as it is not as complex as Futaba.

Futaba has worked with some high end aftermarket people to integrate some equipment into their data stream, but not many.

Futaba gear works best with Futaba. And Futaba generally does not give a hoot if a lot of marketplace, good or crappy equipment, doesn't work well.

If one wants to fly Spektrum, or Spektrum related products, buy a Spektrum transmitter. I own both systems so I don't have to fiddle with incompatibilities. Both systems work fine when staying within brand.

Use your Futaba 12FG for it's intended purpose. It is a reliable, robust transmitter although missing many of today's desired bells and whistles. most of which are never used anyway.

Good luck and enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
jescardin (02-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 04:03 PM
RCoffroadracer

woah, I forgot I made this post. so after a few months of ownership and trying different setups I have successfully got the radio to throttle cut my Nitro planes as intended. still can't figure out how to keep the ESC off with a switch. like I said I use this radio with a Freewing F16 and the throttle cut works out of the box so to speak. I didnt have to figure it out. I also had to ditch the Lemon Rx DIY module due to way too much glitching. I simply do not trust it even with a beat up foam plane. I was able to get a ORX module and it works great. still can't figure out that cut off though. I'll keep playing with it more and if I do get it working I'll post it here. mainly because I might forget how to do it and I can come back here to see how LOL. but my suspicion is the use of the radio via the trainer port might have something to do with it.

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 01-22-2024 at 04:06 PM.