Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Armortek M26 Pershing Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Armortek M26 Pershing Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Post a picture of that dirt mover! Park a tank next to it so it's tank related and won't get deleted.

I spent a lot of time over the last few weeks on my 1:1 dirt mover (subcompact tractor) for spring cleaning, stump removal etc. Would love to see what you have as an RC dozer. Getting a puppy soon, may an RC poop scooper in the budget?

My option pack arrived last week (Thursday?), so yours should be there soon!
Old 06-07-2023, 01:38 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm glad the springs worked out for you, Mike, and you're doing a really great job on this tank. I'm having a good time following this thread.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:39 AM
Max-U52

Oh yeah, I'd like to see some pictures of your dirt mover, too.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:52 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's some pictures of the 1/14 scale DXR2 D10 dozer I got to do maintenance on my tank area out back. I've been a heavy equipment operator for over 46 years in the military Engineers and a few years in the civilian Operating Engineers Union but now I'm retired. I just couldn't pass up a DOZER to 'operate' now.

This dozer is metal and weighs about 65 pounds. The hydraulics for the blade, tilt, and ripper run at over 300 psi. What surprises me is the sprockets are two 540 brushed motors and power each hub that has 4 sets of gears, each set stacked out feeding the next set, gearing it down a LOT to the sprockets. The tracks will keep spinning if it gets bogged down so it makes a lot of torque. The ripper is GREAT at loosening any hardpan then the blade pushes it easy. And it's like running a 1/1 dozer: ALWAYS keep the blade MOVING (up, down, tilt!)

The moderator can delete this thread but I DID get this dozer to use work in my TANK area out back... and it's a BLAST to run and be a 'Heavy Junk Driver' again! It's got spot lights, horn, & engine sound and I got it on Amazon. Watch the rc construction and rc dozer videos on youtube!

NOW, let's get back to TANKS on this thread...

Last edited by Old MSgt; 06-07-2023 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:39 AM
Max-U52

That's a great looking dozer, Mike, and don't worry about anyone complaining, it's a tracked vehicle so I would say that it's just fine for this thread and forum.

Ever thought about painting that dozer OD green?
Old 06-07-2023, 06:16 PM
Tankhobby

Awesome dozer, definitely on my wish list, an excavator also!

So with the option packs I went to the hull machine gun, the Armortek .30 cal heat shield (some call it the barrel) isn't correct. It's round and has holes but the holes are small and symmetrical. On the M1917 the holes for the barrel heat shield are offset and larger. To most that probably isn't an issue, but for me it is. I made a .30 cal machine gun for my Rochobby jeep via 3D software and printed it out (researching to design the files is why I know the Amortek version is wrong).

How to correct it? I was thinking about machining a new piece, that would take some time, especially drilling all those holes. I was going to ask a good friend of mine that works in a machine shop and does prototyping, he could probably bang it out in no time. But I didn't want to ask too much from him he just fixed my swing cylinder from my tractor's backhoe that broke (saved me about $500.00).

So I looked at the Armortek part and decide to drill out every other hole a little larger then fill all the small holes left so it would look more accurate. It's still not 100% accurate but to me it looks good and I can move on to other parts that need assembly.

Drilled the larger holes and filled in the small ones. There is a piece of plastic tubing inside to hole the piece while I'm working it.

Sanding to get the small hole to disappear, I stil needed to do this again after installation, the bondo shrank after being primed (?)

OK, primed and almost assembled, you can still see some of the small holes. I'll fix them laer, but it looks more authentic, right?

The option pack allows you to move the gun from left to right but no vertical movement, There is also an LED for barrel flash. They provided a reed LED, I switched mine to a super bright white LED. When it's operational I will make a video. That will be a while.

Sorry I didn't take a picture of the barrel shield before I modified it so you could better understand what I did. Maybe someone with the part can post a picture?

Still having fun putting this together!!!
Old 06-08-2023, 01:35 AM
Max-U52

That looks much better. Great job. I'll have to keep this in mind in case I ever scrounged up the loot to get one of these for myself.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:43 PM
Tankhobby

Rear grills done ready for priming and paint:

Got my option packs so work on the headlights can resume:

Soldering the nuts to the fenders so I can easily remove/attach the side skirts:

Starting to look great, the top assemblies are not permanently attached as the option packs need to be installed:

The fenders will take a lot of work:

The following 3 users liked this post by Tankhobby:
bowlman (07-09-2023), Old MSgt (07-10-2023), tankme (07-09-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 08:03 AM
Old MSgt

I've been doing little detail things on this tank mostly because it's been HOT and I've been LAZY waiting on the Motion Pak to get here but it got delivered today. It's tight for space here in the garage so I opened the box and got everything out so I could get shed of it.

There's lots of packages with wires, mounts, bolts, a toothed ring, etc, so I squirreled'em away until I need'em (then HOPE I can find'em!)

Right now I'm enjoying some COLD libations so I'm gonna study these instruction and start putting the motors in soon. I ordered the two 12v batteries so when I get everything in I'll do a bench check to see if the sprockets turn (the right way!) Then I can start installing the upper deck and get busy on the turret.

Just want to give an update. I'll post some more pics when there's something worth looking at. Mike

The following users liked this post:
Tankhobby (08-03-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 10:05 AM
Brian Womersley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Womersley

Hi Guys…. Sorry to burst your bubbles guys but I have had a terrible experience with Armortek.
I live in the U.K., 50 miles from their factory.
I purchased my Pershing Kit in March and was really enjoying the build and participating in their Forum.
Ł7869.00 gbp later having received my options pack I had everything installed and up and running.
one day early July I switched on the receiver and heard sparking… followed by SMOKE…. Followed by FLAMES….. I reacted quickly and switched off the main relay switch and blew out the flames.
I was building in my spare bedroom and could have burnt the house down .
I immediately sent and email to Armortek but got no response due to their annual shutdown .
I posted the problem on the forum under “fire in the power module” and still got no response to further emails and chaser messages.
I went to the Factory and got a replacement module but no explanation from Kian until TWO DAYS AGO . They now agree there is a problem and are recalling ALL POWER MODULES. Because I drew their attention to the faulty module and complained about their lack of response I HAVE BEEN BLOCKED FROM THE FORUM AND MY ACCOUNT DE-ACTIVATED,so I cannot complete my build
They cannot accept criticism ,so be warned .
I will answer any questions you may have but cannot yet post any photos of the burnt module due to your forum T@C’s.
Take care Guys and have a fire extinguisher handy……. Brian
Old 08-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Brian Womersley

Default Brian Womersley

Hi Guys…. I am in the U.K. and had fully installed ALL the options packs.
it was my Power distribution module
that burst into flames and that is why Armortek are RECALLING them.
I reported the fire but failed to get any response from Armortek foe about three weeks.
Because I reported it and complained at their lack of response I have been BLOCKED from the Armortek Forum and my account de-activated, so I cannot now complete my build .
Ł7869.00 gbp wasted . Their customer service is totally unacceptable.
keep a fire extinguisher close by and install fuses or a circuit breaker.
I will answer any questions you may have.
Brian
Old 08-04-2023, 02:35 PM
Tankhobby

Hi Brian,
Yes I saw your post on the Armortek forum. I hesitated to apply power to my units until I saw a response from Armortek. My suspicion was a manufacturing defect or something similar. Fortunately for me I have the "good" module so I will proceed with hooking up the electronics. Although I have a major distraction from the hobby I acquired recently:

Old 08-04-2023, 08:43 PM
Brian Womersley

Good morning… What a lovely little distraction, we have two sibling Yorkies ( little sods)
Looking at you kit photo it looks like you have a length of twin cable with two eyelets at the end? There is a FUSE in the middle? This cable was NOT IN MY KIT to protect the power module .
The FIRE still haunts me and since I got BLOCKED from our Forum as my punishment for complaining I have not touched my tank since. I have no way of contacting Armortek
as my account is also blocked so I am considering ditching the whole project and claiming a refund for faulty goods.
If you continue, keep a fire extinguisher handy as a Module B also burst into flames… it belonged to a Guy your side of the pond.
Take care 🙏
Old 08-05-2023, 11:51 AM
Old MSgt

Brian, sorry to hear about the malfunction of your new production control module and it is an issue that Armortek is addressing.

Armortek has been producing the WORLD'S BEST 1/6 scale tanks/vehicles for about 20 years and a 'glitch' will eventually pop up, usually with the electrics. As with ANYTHING manufactured today there may be a 'recall'. Cars, trucks, computers, cell phones, baby carrages, can openers, food, etc. SHI... STUFF HAPPENS!

Early Armortek control and accessories boxes were VERY large black boxes that took up a LOT of room inside the tanks. Every couple of years Armortek contracts with companies to produce smaller, more efficient, up-to-date electric modules (ESCs, smoke, recoil, sounds, etc.) and when they're delivered Armortek does stringent testing on the modules before they're included with the kits and, if approved, put in production.

A fire is bad but you handled it the right way and put it out without burning down your house. There's a lot of ways a 'tested' module could have malfunctioned and once you contacted Armortek and it was INVESTIGATED the problem was identified and a recall was initiated. Thanks for bringing the 'glitch' in the wiring to the attention of Armortek. I was quickly notified of the recall by Armortek and will get a new module soon.

But, since manufacturer recalls today happen frequently for lots of things, and your problem with the module was resolved in person, WHY did you feel you (yesterday) had to suddenly JOIN a rc tank forum (as a new member!) to complain and badmouth the premium 1/6 large scale tank manufacturer in the world? Would you SUDDENLY JOIN an apple forum if you found one worm inside an apple?

Here's a picture of the 'bad' module I received. I was told not to use it, disconnect the cables and save'em and a new module will arrive shortly and I'm happy. Thanks for bringing the fire problem to Armorteks attention and now they're fixing it and we'll all be HAPPY!

Last edited by Old MSgt; 08-05-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Brian Womersley (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

That really, really sucks, and the response from Armortek is totally unacceptable. Either you stand behind your product or you don't, and not liking the customer is no reason to desert him.

But since you are where you are, if you're up for the challenge it might actually be an opportunity. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford an armortek, but if I ever do get lucky I'll pass on all the "packs". I can build my own smoker for way less, same with the sound and drive. I have one of the blitzkrieg armor 1/6 Hetzers and I didn't use the motors with came with it, I changed to a chain drive with 24v scooter motors on a 6s lipo, with an IBU2 to control everything but the main drive, and a sabertooth 2x32 handles that. Even with rotation and elevation it's still way, way cheaper than a "motion pack".

Whatever you decide to do with it, I really hope you'll get lots of photos and keep us up to date on the build. If I can't afford my own, I'm not too proud to live vicariously through you.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:26 PM
Tankhobby

Originally Posted by Brian Womersley
Good morning… What a lovely little distraction, we have two sibling Yorkies ( little sods)
Looking at you kit photo it looks like you have a length of twin cable with two eyelets at the end? There is a FUSE in the middle? This cable was NOT IN MY KIT to protect the power module .
The FIRE still haunts me and since I got BLOCKED from our Forum as my punishment for complaining I have not touched my tank since. I have no way of contacting Armortek
as my account is also blocked so I am considering ditching the whole project and claiming a refund for faulty goods.
If you continue, keep a fire extinguisher handy as a Module B also burst into flames… it belonged to a Guy your side of the pond.
Take care 🙏
That sucks that they banned you, but they should replace your module with the right one regardless. I think this is a great tank (one of my favorite types) and you should continue with the build after you get the correct power module. I know the slow response is aggravating but the companies I have worked for also had recalls and the usual M. O. is to not jump to conclusions and announce and make decisions after the problem is analyzed and understood. I'm having a great time building this and yes, there were some times I was frustrated with parts not fitting well or instructions not clear but that is part of the build. This is also my first Armortek model.

Also when it's up and running it will give your Yorkies something to play with. My last Lab loved chasing my RC vehicles, a great way to give them some exercise!
Old 08-06-2023, 12:54 AM
Brian Womersley

Default Old M/Sgt

Old M/Sgt

Hi… Could I possibly repeat my question regarding your photo of the Options pack you have received…. The battery feed cable appears to show an inline fuse to protect the power module?
The reason I ask is that my Options pack had no such fuse in the power supply and makes me think that this has been added to later Options packs
I May be wrong, but me thinks it could have added protection to my model and prevented the fire that occurred .

Last edited by Brian Womersley; 08-06-2023 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Missed heading
Old 08-06-2023, 02:28 AM
Old MSgt

Here's the module and wiring harness to the batteries I received.

Brian Womersley (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 02:40 AM
Brian Womersley

Default Old MSgt

Thanks ever so much for the two photos.
this is obviously a later revision as the first kits sent out did not have this fuse.
I have no way of contacting Armortek but would hope they will be sending out this fuse amendment to ALL BUYERS of the Options packs ..It would have saved me all the stress and problems of trying to get Armortek to check their faulty soldering and the resulting ban from the AT Forum.. Proves I was justified in pursuing the problem.
many thanks .

Last edited by Brian Womersley; 08-06-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:28 PM
Tankhobby

Default Took the Pershing out for a backyard run

I was able to beat the rain today and get the tank out for some quick laps around the back yard. My mud field is covered with ice so I didn't want to chance slipping while trying to film it. I'll wait until mud season and get some nice shots. I still need to add the markings, it will be a 3rd Armored division Spearhead tank. I need to create the graphics then pull out the Cricut and make some stencils.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tankhobby:
Brian Womersley (12-17-2023), tankme (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 03:24 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Great looking tank. I just wish someday I can own an Armortek.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:43 AM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks Awesome Ken! Well done - I do like that smoke!
bob