Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/6 Rochobby Jeep Suspension Upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 Rochobby Jeep Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 11:35 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts
Default 1/6 Rochobby Jeep Suspension Upgrade

Got better springs at the LHS but they're all over online, including from Traxxas, so anyone that wants a bit stiffer suspension in the Rochobby MB Scaler (Jeep) should be able to easily find them. There's even a link in the description at the video.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:45 PM
Crius

OK, here's how easy it is to get a better suspension

And after the swap ...

And a couple of quickies in action

The following users liked this post:
Pah co chu puk (05-24-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 04:47 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I'll have to double check my two jeeps. They seem to run fine but I didn't check the suspension limits. I don't climb rocks with them but I do run them through deep puddles, mud, gravel, grass, dirt, weeds and long grass. They do bounce around a lot. Thanks for researching the alternative springs.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:43 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

THANKS GARY! The stock weak springs on my jeeps are so mushy and I ain't even run'em yet. I'm going to get a couple sets of these springs and find what kinda batteries go in'em so I can run'em!

Thanks again! Mike
Old 05-25-2023, 12:25 PM
Crius

Hey Mike, are you set up to use lipos? Proper charger and all that? If you are then I highly recommend the three cell lipo instead of the two cell. The Jeeps just seem to perform so much better with the extra power. The three cell doesn't really increase the top speed by all that much, but you can really tell when you're climbing Hills that the extra power helps. I haven't tried using the kind of batteries that come with the tanks yet, but I think one will fit in there, but I don't want to step down to the two cell. In that last video I showed the three cell battery that I'm using, it's only 1,000 mAh but runs the Jeep for at least a half an hour and it's small enough that I can also get my sound card into the battery tray. Let me know what you come up with, and photos are always great.
Old 05-28-2023, 05:13 AM
Old MSgt

Hey Gary! Sorry for being slow getting back with ya cause we've been so busy I haven't gotten on the computer hardly any.

You've got GREAT videos on improving the jeep suspension and I'm going to order a couple sets of the Traxxas 7448 springs. You've put the springs on the rear but how about the front shocks? Do you put'em on there too?

And I haven't even gotten batteries for the jeeps yet so I'll order a couple of those Zippy 3 cells ones. Is there even a larger battery that'd go in it? What is the voltage of the Zippy batteries? I have a DXR2 rc dozer that uses a 11.1 volt 5200 mAh Li-Po battery that will fit in the jeep battery box (I just now checked it) but the voltage may be too high.

Thanks Gary!! Mike
Old 05-28-2023, 07:52 AM
Crius

I have not yet tried these springs on the front, mainly because the rears by themselves seem to take care of a lot of the Leaning problem and the travel and ride height in the front seems to be just right with the stock springs ( with the preload ring turned all the way down to Max preload). You have to remember that I put extra weight in the back and that has a lot to do with the dramatic difference you see when I change the rear springs. I suppose I should probably try them on the front, just so that I can post the results here and maybe save someone else a little time. I have to go out later and I have an idea about getting a slightly longer spring for the front, partly because I don't have as much weight up there, and partly because the preload right now is set to Max, so if I use a slightly longer spring and it turns out to ride too high I can just relieve a little bit of the preload in the front and that should take care of it. I have to go out later anyway, I'll swing by the hobby shop and maybe pick up a pair of Springs that I think will be better in the front. I'll let you guys know how that comes out.

Your Dozer battery will be perfect. 11.1 is 3 cell and at 5200 Mah it should run that jeep for at least an hour, maybe even two. If you're checking voltage on the battery, when it's fully charged it will probably be a little over 12 volts, so don't worry about that. And I think there's a switch that you have to throw to go from two cells to three cell, you should check the manual that came with the jeep, don't rely on my hippie memory. I think the reason you have to throw that switch and tell it whether it's a two cell or three cell is so that the automatic shut off will work properly. Or, you can just throw in a small lva, which is what I usually do, just to be safe. Let me check my manual about that switch and I'll get back to you. And don't worry about any delay in answering, I've been having phone nightmares and can only post from home which really makes a difference. If I can post at work on my break and at lunch time I contribute a lot more, partly because I've been on 10-hour days and when I get home from work I really don't feel like doing anything more than having a bite to eat and falling into my bed, so I don't usually get to the computer in the evenings. But this is a three-day weekend, so you guys might not be able to shut me up!

But for now, I think you should just put that battery in it and take it for a spin in it's totally stock configuration, just to see what you're working with to start. Besides, these things really are a blast. Happy Motoring, and I'll really be looking forward to seeing what you think about these jeeps. I've been thinking more and more about a rocket launcher jeep, I guess I'll just have to go ahead and make that happen.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:26 AM
Crius

Okay, Mike, I'm about to hijack my own thread for a second here because I want to talk about 1/6 scale and Danville. I know you did a 1/6 scale event there a couple years ago, any plans for any future events? I would really love to make it to one of those, and even though I don't have an armortek, I do have (all in 1/6), two nice jeeps, the Hetzer (the one that shoots .50 caliber paintballs, woo hoo!!), a stock M5 Stuart, and a car that I plan to work on today, the Mercedes-Benz 540k. If the next event is next year, I might also be able to add an M3 Scout car and make the M5 better than stock by then, and don't forget, I do have what might be the only functional, rocket firing 1/6 Nebelwerfer in North America!! So, I really think I can make a significant contribution to your event.

One of the things I don't like right now, is that there are no events close enough for me to attend. In 1/6 or 1/16th scale. You know me well enough by now to know that a big part of it for me is the showing off!

So how about bringing me up to speed? Is there any chance at all that you might do an event there again in the next couple of years? I haven't heard about anything this year, so I'm assuming next year would be the earliest. I'm ready, and it should even be a lot easier for me than for most guys since most of my vehicles are smaller and less weight. I would imagine that if you wanted to take all of your tanks to Danville, you would probably have to at least rent a semi, maybe even two! Yeah, I'm still jealous, but don't take it personal.

And don't worry about the hijacking thing, if the OP complains I'll have a little chat with that moron!

Old 05-30-2023, 02:40 AM
Old MSgt

Good Morning Gary! Last I heard the 'Armortek' meet this year is Sept 1 & 2, all day Friday and Flamethrower Day Saturday.

There's been four 'Armortek' meets at Danville so far and I attended the first two. They schedule the meets on 'Flamethrower Day' and there's usually large crowds that come for that. All rc tank scales are welcome even though it's suppost to be 'Armortek', the more the merrier cause we're all 'RC Tankers'.

The times I went there there was a Dragon Stuart, other 1/6 vehicles, and somebody brought one of those 1/6 Russian Tiger 1 (that needed worked on mechanically). Larry brought some 1/16 for the young crowd attendees to drive (which helped spark their interest in rc) and people got a kick out of'em.

When the first Armortek meet was planned I campaigned to have it on the regular 1/16 Battle Days (which is about two weeks after our meet) because it's all rc tanks no matter the scale. AND I wanted to watch the tank battles, especially after seeing their BIG battle area! But my plea got shot down. If the 1/16 Battle Days were at the same time as the Flamethrower days (and 'Armortek' meet) the crowds would love it!

I haven't went to Danville the last couple years because the drive there (325 miles) and then back in a big U Haul truck wears me out! I don't like driving that far anymore but the Danville Museum IS something to see!

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 05-30-2023 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:13 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Gary,
I bought four sets ($5.00 each on evilbay) and put one on the rear suspension on one of my jeeps. It does make a difference! Thanks!
The jeep I did first had only a driver and passenger and some light stuff in the back. I mentioned before I hot glued the figures in the jeep but I removed them because I upgraded some accessories and uniform parts on them. Anyway I put them back in, drove it around without hot gluing them back in and they didn't fall out or bounce around like Mexican jumping beans. When I replaced them I did notice the shocks were not filled to the top with fluid, is that correct? About 1/4 inch maybe a little more from the top?
Old 06-07-2023, 01:35 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

My shocks weren't filled all the way to the top either, but I'm not sure what the proper level is. That's one of the things I need to ask the crawler guy at my local hobby shop the next time I'm in there, as well as what kind of oil to use. But, mine seemed to be about a quarter inch from the top as well. Eventually I'll replace the front springs as well, just to see out that works, but for right now it seems to be running quite well and you know what I always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.