Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

how to change 1/16 Heng Long M4A3 barrel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

how to change 1/16 Heng Long M4A3 barrel

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 04:32 PM
mozit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change 1/16 Heng Long M4A3 barrel

Hi all.
Another newb question.
I'd like to exchange the standard M4A3 barrel for the 17pdr barrel, but I can't find any instructions on how to go about it.
I know the tank is not right for a 17pdr, but I guess it's as close as it's going to get.
Can anyone tell me how to go about it, or direct me to somewhere which can?
Thanks
Old 06-05-2023, 05:56 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Look here a firefly kit .
https://dgsselkirk.wixsite.com/dgsmi...ade-turret-kit
https://c834df98-fcb5-4b3b-981a-207b...a79dd0b1ee.pdf
Thanks
Jimmy

Last edited by bowlman; 06-05-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:13 PM
mozit

Thanks for the response Jimmy.
Not quite what I had in mind though.
I would have thought there was some simple way to pull out one barrel and slot in another. This is what I am really after.
Also, I can't see the point of spending considerable $$$ on the turret when the hull is still wrong for a Firefly.
Thanks again for the resp[onse
Peter
Old 06-05-2023, 08:09 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mozit
Thanks for the response Jimmy.
Not quite what I had in mind though.
I would have thought there was some simple way to pull out one barrel and slot in another. This is what I am really after.
Also, I can't see the point of spending considerable $$$ on the turret when the hull is still wrong for a Firefly.
Thanks again for the resp[onse
Peter
Ya just showing what you can do before servo recoil came out guys would just stick a firefly barrel on it.
Thanks
jimmy
Old 06-05-2023, 08:16 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I don't know of any video showing it. Take a picture of where all the wires go before you start any work or label them to what ports they go to on the control board. Disconnect the leads going to the turret. You will need to remove the turret by unscrewing the screws on the turret ring gear. After that you can reach the screws under the turret to separate the two halves of the Sherman turret. From there it's just a matter of removing the old barrel and installing the new one, but since I don't have the BB or HL guts in any of my turrets anymore I can't really go into any more detail than that.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:18 PM
mozit

OK, thanks. I'll take it apart and see if I can work it out.
Cheers
Old 06-06-2023, 04:39 AM
mozit

Well, I got inside the turret but it's still not clear how to get the barrel out.
I may have been a bit naiive in thinking it's just a matter of pulling the old one out and sliding the new one in. Looking at the parts it certainly looks like that would be all there is to it.
I'm not too keen on dismantling all the gun mechanisms to see where that leads to. If anyone else can help here it would be much appreciated.
TIA
Old 06-06-2023, 05:23 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Photos would be very helpful. Does it shoot air soft? Most airsoft units hold the barrel in with a screw on the side of the plastic air soft unit, right behind the hole where the barrel slips in.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:12 PM
mozit

Got it!
Yes, it is a BB tank. And the Mato blurb says the 17pdr barrel should work with the BB system.
You don't need to disassemble the mechanisms inside the turret.
Inside the turret there are 2 hard to get to screws holding the mantlet. Undo those and the mantlet and barrel come off. The barrel is pushed through the mantlet FROM BEHIND. Makes sense, I guess - that way the barrel is firmly held in place.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Cheers