Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen Panther pulls to the left

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen Panther pulls to the left

Old 06-06-2023, 02:58 PM
festus105
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taigen Panther pulls to the left

I have a Taigen Panther 1/16 (plastic edition). It's been sitting awhile and so I cleaned it all up but I've noticed that it pulls to the left. I stripped it down and inspected the gearbox and everything lines up and moves freely. I also added a link to the tracks as they seemed to be a little tight. The culprit seems to be that the left side doesn't start moving when the right side does. As many of you know, the transmitter that came with these doesn't allow you to adjust any trim (because there isn't any). I tried another transmitter and the issue remains. I don't have an extra motor and I haven't switched them (mainly because I don't see how you detach them from the gearbox). Before I replace/upgrade it with a new gearbox/motor combo I was wondering if there is anything else I could try. Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by festus105; 06-06-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 03:34 PM
tankme

Received 205 Likes on 167 Posts

It could be a difference in the way your motors are timed. Timing in regards to a brushed motor refers to it's bias. There are forward timed motors (faster in forward than reverse). There are reverse timed motors (faster in reverse than forward). Then there are neutrally timed motors (same speed forward and reverse). These tanks are supposed to have neutrally timed motors, but I'm sure there is a +/- calibration spec in the factory where the motors are produced. That calibration deviation is probably what is causing it in this case as you have already tried all the other things I would try (track tension, track alignment, or any binding in the gearbox/drivetrain). One motor runs forward and one in reverse to make the tank go forward because the gearboxes are built as a mirror of each other. I don't thing there is any easy way to retime these motors without completely disassembling them. I wouldn't recommend that anyway. My guess would be that both motors are slightly forward timed which makes the difference between running one forward and one in reverse greater causing the noticeable delay in starting the motors causing the yaw. You could disassemble each gearbox and swap the motors around, but that could make it worse. Other option is to get a different set of motors. Once again, that might make it worse if you get a set of motors that even further off. If it's not the motors, it could be a bad bearing in the gearbox or it could be a gearbox that is not aligned right or I've had gears from two different shafts in the gearbox touching each other causing drag. In that case I used a washer to create a spacer fixing the issue.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:45 PM
festus105

Thanks for the reply... I found a video online showing how you might adjust the timing. I may give that a shot. If I screw up the motors sounds like it may be best to simply upgrade the gearbox and motors anyway.

- Ken
Old 06-06-2023, 06:17 PM
tankme

It's a slippery slope... Frankly I just deal with a little bit of yaw. I know it can be annoying, but it is much cheaper just to deal with it.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:43 AM
Max-U52

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have that same tank, and mine has adjustable trim. On mine it's the little knob on top of the transmitter on the right side. And it actually works pretty well. How long ago did you get your tank? Do you know what version of electronics it has?
Old 06-07-2023, 03:11 PM
festus105

Probably this one about 6 or 7 years... not sure which verison of electronics it has. It does have the knob on the top of the transmitter. For some reason I thought it was volume control. Somewhere there is the original manual but I haven't located it yet. This and the Sherman I have, have been basically sitting since we moved about 5 years ago. I'll try trimming it with the knob on top. Probably what the problem was from the beginning as I don't remember it pulling like this before. But at least it's been gone through and cleaned up.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:30 PM
tankme

Well, it's good you got it "straightened out"....