Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Dornier DO 335

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Dornier DO 335

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 AM
F82FAN
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

ORIGINAL: grossy2

I'm using a Wike PDS and Twin Sync. All powered by dual A123 batterys. These I placed up front next to the engine.
Just a Q....
Why use a twin sync on a pusher twin with dissimilar engines/propellers???
I cant for the life of me think of a reason...
Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some pics of the progress today. I now have the rear motor installed, rear cowl and spinner all in place. Motor again is a turnigy g60 400kv spinning a 16x10x3 MAS PUSHER prop. Spinner is from Dave Brown with pusher prop cuts along with a lightened back plate.
The esc shown is a SS 100 amp....the motor wires have been lengthened considerably with fat high capacity wiring. Even still....I will have to use a long extension on the battery side. So...because of that....I ordered a Tamjets 3x 180UF 63v plug-n-play capacitor. That will get placed at the point from the current esc battery lead and then the additonal wiring will go forward to the battery itself.

You can see in the pics that the esc sits right on the big fat belly airscoop so it will stay plenty cool.

Also note the rear air vents I cut out and then glued screencover over. This will allow air to vent out of the fuse rather easily. An additional bonus of this location....since the rear prop is a pusher....its going to help suck air out of the fuse and blow it behind the plane.

I may have the rear motor limited to 50% throttle just so its not drawing a whole lot of juice.....but...will need to see overall performance first with both at 100% to see if I can do that. No dounts that I can do so with a 65cc up front...but....always good to do tests
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50779.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1854078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77679.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1854079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95157.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1854080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27401.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1854081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz28376.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1854082  
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
kahloq

Nice length shot of fuse here...LOL....damn thing is longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!

ESC position and finally all buttoned up at the rear

Name:	Yv66075.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1854083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh40423.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1854084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw90106.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1854085  
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM
F82FAN

You might ask around, but the prop is on backward.... The markings go forward regardless of whether its a pusher or normal rotation...
You knew that, but are just seeing whos lurking, eh???
I love this bird. It is HARD not to bite off on one from Tomas... There was one at the LHS for sale at @ $2,800... LOL wishful thinking! Didnt even have Sierras in it.
Im following. Cant wait for the maiden!

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Here's some pics of the progress today. I now have the rear motor installed, rear cowl and spinner all in place. Motor again is a turnigy g60 400kv spinning a 16x10x3 MAS PUSHER prop. Spinner is from Dave Brown with pusher prop cuts along with a lightened back plate.
The esc shown is a SS 100 amp....the motor wires have been lengthened considerably with fat high capacity wiring. Even still....I will have to use a long extension on the battery side. So...because of that....I ordered a Tamjets 3x 180UF 63v plug-n-play capacitor. That will get placed at the point from the current esc battery lead and then the additonal wiring will go forward to the battery itself.

You can see in the pics that the esc sits right on the big fat belly airscoop so it will stay plenty cool.

Also note the rear air vents I cut out and then glued screencover over. This will allow air to vent out of the fuse rather easily. An additional bonus of this location....since the rear prop is a pusher....its going to help suck air out of the fuse and blow it behind the plane.

I may have the rear motor limited to 50% throttle just so its not drawing a whole lot of juice.....but...will need to see overall performance first with both at 100% to see if I can do that. No dounts that I can do so with a 65cc up front...but....always good to do tests
Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good Kahloq, looking forward to seeing it fly!

casey
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Chicks dig the 3-bladed.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kahlog
ta152
jimkron
anyone
can anyone tell me the distance fromt he bottom of the wing to the ground
just trying to find out how tall from the ground
Sounds like a lot of you guys have it on the wheels
how about a measurment?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Ameisenbar

Hi Hellcat,

Ihaven't assembled mine yet, and only have the fixed gear it comes with, so Ihave measured a main gear leg and the wheel. It looks like the wing should be about 320 mm from the ground. That would be just over foot in Imperial units. Ipresume the height would work out similar with the retracts.

regards
John
Old 02-20-2013, 06:39 AM
jimkron

ORIGINAL: hellcat56

kahlog
ta152
jimkron
anyone
can anyone tell me the distance fromt he bottom of the wing to the ground
just trying to find out how tall from the ground
Sounds like a lot of you guys have it on the wheels
how about a measurment?

11.25" from the bottom with Sierra Retracts and 4.5" wheels.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 AM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: F82FAN

You might ask around, but the prop is on backward.... The markings go forward regardless of whether its a pusher or normal rotation...
Ummmm....actually, the prop is NOT on backwards. The markings always face AWAY from the front of the motor the prop is installed on. Its the direction the blades are canted that determines if pusher or tractor. The spinner was specifically cut for a pusher prop and the prop can only fit in it one way.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM
F82FAN

ok....

Ummmm....actually, the prop is NOT on backwards. The markings always face AWAY from the front of the motor the prop is installed on. Its the direction the blades are canted that determines if pusher or tractor. The spinner was specifically cut for a pusher prop and the prop can only fit in it one way.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM
Lifer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Backwards.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, backwards. Try running it. Is it Pushing air away from plane?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Yep, backwards. Try running it. Is it Pushing air away from plane?
Nope...not backwards. And yes I have tried running it and sure enough it pushes air away from the plane.

The only reason why you'd have to mount a pusherprop on the TAIL of a plane with markings towards front of plane would be due to using an IC motor that mechanically only turns in one direction.

All the proof I need that its on correctt is that the spinner from dbproducts was specifically cut for pusher. The prop only fits in one way. The setup works as it should blowing air rearward frontm the TAIL. There is no argument to be had here. Seriously, some of u talk to me like I'm Forest Gump. Did you people even bother looking at the close up pic with spinner on? Jeez ppl, it can't be mounted any other way.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run Forest run!  

Jeesh guys, what did I miss here.....

Kahloq seems to be playn nice?

Casey
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
jrtal

Regardless of which direction the prop turns; it is still on backwards.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Ameisenbar

If a propellor is on backwards it will still push air in the correct direction, but with less efficiency. Look at a normal propellor mounted on the front of the plane as usual. The rounded edge of the airfoil is at the front and the sharp edge is at the back. It will of course turn anticlockwise. If you turn it over on the shaft, the helix angle is still the same but the airfoil will be operating inverted. It will work but at lower efficiency.

If we mount the same propellor at the back as a pusher, it will still need the rounded edge towards the front of the plane, and to work properly will need to turn clockwise. (as seen from the rear)  This is no problem with electrics, just swap any two motor leads. With an IC engine you would generally need internal modifications, so you want a pusher prop. This has the opposite helix angle. As with the prop at the front, it can go on the shaft two ways. If it is on the wrong way it will still push in the right direction, but with less efficiency.

So my little foamy DO 335 uses two ordinary tractor props, but the pusher motor is running "reversed", eg if you look from the front of the plane both motors are turning anticlockwise. My ESM DO 335 is going to have IC engines, so the rear prop will need to be a pusher. But in both cases, all the props need to be installed with the rounded leading edge of the blade towards the front of the plane.

From a torque reaction point of view, it is nicer if the two props counterrotate, so one would need to be a pusher. But for our purposes it probably does not matter much.

John
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Kahloq,
Its on backwards buddy. The blunt leading edge should be butted up against the spinner backplate of the rear motor. The spinner should still fit, but not as well. It looks to me they possibly cut the spinner wrong.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
kahloq

Possibly a blonde girl moment on my part. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I get home from work road trip. If the prop won't fit any other way, regardless of whether its on right or backwards, ill be stuck with the way it is. I'm not going to spend another $75+ on a spinner if its not cut right just to make an efficiency improvement(if that would be the case) on a motor I'm not relying on for thrust production anyway.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Possibly a blonde girl moment on my part. I'll take a look at it tomorrow when I get home from work road trip. If the prop won't fit any other way, regardless of whether its on right or backwards, ill be stuck with the way it is. I'm not going to spend another $75+ on a spinner if its not cut right just to make an efficiency improvement(if that would be the case) on a motor I'm not relying on for thrust production anyway.
I was looking at the leading edge of the prop, not the spinner or writing on the prop itself. I would not brush it off as a slight performance improvement. IT is more of a significant performance loss. If it were me (but it's not) I would cut the spinner to work, if the prop does not fit. It would not take much. I am going to bet, They (whoever you bought the spinner from) sent you the wrong one. Maybe an exchange is in order.

Do any of you remember on some of the old .049 planes, you could turn the prop around to fly for the first flights to lower performance? The prop still created thrust, just not as much. The same thing is happening here.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Ameisenbar

The spinner is actually the right one, they are cut with a reasonable amount of clearance and will still clear if you reverse the prop. At least mine did when I initially put the prop on wrong last night when playing with mine.

Incidently the backing plate on these spinners looks a bit heavy to me, for something that is to go at the back of the plane over a metre behind the CoG. It might get a bit of a skim on the lathe.

John
Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM
kahloq

I paid to have the backplate lightened. One of the pics should show it.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM
grossy2

ORIGINAL: grossy2

I'm using a Wike PDS and Twin Sync. All powered by dual A123 batterys. These I placed up front next to the engine.
Just a Q....
Why use a twin sync on a pusher twin with dissimilar engines/propellers???
I cant for the life of me think of a reason...
Good point. I just used the gear out of my Tiger Cat. I just love the harmonics of a twin in Sync.

Cheers
Grossy
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM
jimkron

ORIGINAL: Ameisenbar

If a propellor is on backwards it will still push air in the correct direction, but with less efficiency. Look at a normal propellor mounted on the front of the plane as usual. The rounded edge of the airfoil is at the front and the sharp edge is at the back. It will of course turn anticlockwise. If you turn it over on the shaft, the helix angle is still the same but the airfoil will be operating inverted. It will work but at lower efficiency.

If we mount the same propellor at the back as a pusher, it will still need the rounded edge towards the front of the plane, and to work properly will need to turn clockwise. (as seen from the rear) This is no problem with electrics, just swap any two motor leads. With an IC engine you would generally need internal modifications, so you want a pusher prop. This has the opposite helix angle. As with the prop at the front, it can go on the shaft two ways. If it is on the wrong way it will still push in the right direction, but with less efficiency.

So my little foamy DO 335 uses two ordinary tractor props, but the pusher motor is running ''reversed'', eg if you look from the front of the plane both motors are turning anticlockwise. My ESM DO 335 is going to have IC engines, so the rear prop will need to be a pusher. But in both cases, all the props need to be installed with the rounded leading edge of the blade towards the front of the plane.

From a torque reaction point of view, it is nicer if the two props counterrotate, so one would need to be a pusher. But for our purposes it probably does not matter much.

John
My rear prop has the blunt edge against the motor. Top speed 90 mph plus at 35 lbs. Both had to work at peak efficiency.
We flew my ESM 335 with Eflite 160 on back and front with Zoar 20x10 props. I'm doing this from memory. The back prop was a pusher. The two motors counter rotated. We tried using two tractors spinning in the same direction but the torque made the plane less fun to fly. The roll rate left was different than the right roll rate. No huge deal but you had to "stay on it". Bummer cuz the pushers are hard to find and sometimes have to be special ordered.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Looks like a this old house episode on how to install a ceiling fan! lol
Yeah except this is one ''fan'' that'll cut your hand off if your not careful.
Amen to that. The last time I tested a motor w/prop in the living room, the plane leapt off the table and bit me. Cost me $900. Kahloq - I'm so excited to see your DO-335 coming together! Can't wait to see the finished plane.

Name:	Hf97506.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1854606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58158.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1854607  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.