Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Dornier DO 335

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Dornier DO 335

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

ORIGINAL: jmohn

Jim,

You can stick all the battery packs up front right behind the firewall. That's what I had to do on mine. I made a hatch rught behind the front firewall and stuck all the packs right there. It balanced fine that way.

If you use 10 or 12 guage wire you should be fine. Just get the good stuff (wet noodle) stranded copper to keep the resistance down.

Mine fit in the fuze right above the front wheel bay.

Jeff
For my ESM Bearcat I had to place the 10s Lipos ON the firewall. But hey - it balances great just like that. Looks weird but it works well. Hasn't flown yet. Am waiting for ESM electric V3 retract upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61551.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1854608  
Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
F82FAN
My Feedback: (10)

Coolio. Just didnt know if it would slow one engine down in order to sync them
Both.... Let us know how it goes!

ORIGINAL: grossy2

ORIGINAL: F82FAN

I'm using a Wike PDS and Twin Sync. All powered by dual A123 batterys. These I placed up front next to the engine.
Just a Q....
Why use a twin sync on a pusher twin with dissimilar engines/propellers???
I cant for the life of me think of a reason...
Good point. I just used the gear out of my Tiger Cat. I just love the harmonics of a twin in Sync.

Cheers
Grossy
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: kahloq

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Looks like a this old house episode on how to install a ceiling fan! lol
Yeah except this is one ''fan'' that'll cut your hand off if your not careful.
Amen to that. The last time I tested a motor w/prop in the living room, the plane leapt off the table and bit me. Cost me $900. Kahloq - I'm so excited to see your DO-335 coming together! Can't wait to see the finished plane.

Ouch! That sucks. Another reason I do not like electrics. Sorry
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! That sucks. Another reason I do not like electrics. Sorry
Oh and hand flipping an internal combustion engine is safe? You forget what happened to Jim Brink? Lost three fingers on his hand cuz the GAS motor started up on a hand start and pulled the plane straight at him.
Its no different......safety procedures need to be adhered to with either, cuz BOTH can maim you.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM
vertical grimmace

It's a lot different. I have been hand starting engines since 1980 and have never been hurt by a prop. It is about understanding what is going on and paying attention. An electric is more dangerous and you have to be even more careful. I feel they are way more dangerous. IMO
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Na...just different.

Casey

Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM
grossy2

Coolio. Just didnt know if it would slow one engine down in order to sync them
Both.... Let us know how it goes!

I'm using a Wike PDS and Twin Sync. All powered by dual A123 batterys. These I placed up front next to the engine.
Just a Q....
Why use a twin sync on a pusher twin with dissimilar engines/propellers???
I cant for the life of me think of a reason...
Good point. I just used the gear out of my Tiger Cat. I just love the harmonics of a twin in Sync.

Cheers
Grossy
Yes, I was worried about that as well. Thats why I Tac'ed them both with ythe twin sync disengaged to see what they were pulling. Each Engine was pulling 7500rpm (Static) with there respected props. I was still getting the same RPM from each engine with the twin sysnc on, plus it sounded great. Mine you once it's in the air it's a totally new kettle of fish.
I'll let you how it goes. we have had terrable weather the last few weeks down under. I was suppose to fly today, but a large low is over the Mid East coast and once again it's windy and raining. Mid you, further North they have flooding and South we have hot and dry, with bush fires.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM
kahloq

It's a lot different. I have been hand starting engines since 1980 and have never been hurt by a prop. It is about understanding what is going on and paying attention. An electric is more dangerous and you have to be even more careful. I feel they are way more dangerous. IMO
No...there is ZERO difference. It's only your biased vantaged point and opinion because you LIKE gas engines. Me....once I have my spitfire running with a gas motor, I WILL have a steel wire mesh glove for hand starting as I am not taking chances of losing my fingers....either that or buying a big honkin engine starter to keep my hands away from that dangerous thing. Hobbyking sells one that will turn over a 300cc motor, but its $299

You said......"It is about understanding what is going on and paying attention". Bingo.......same exact thing for electrics. You have to ARM the esc to get power to the motor....just as you have to start a fuel motor. The difference there is...once the fuel powered motor is running....it has to STAY running. Moving the plane around needs MORE attention then an electric plane since the electric....the motor can be stopped and doesnt require an idle while waiting, taxing, whatever. There are also arming plugs that can be used for electrics as well. Pull that out and NO power gets to motor if you install one regardless of whether the battery is hooked up or rx is on.

Its a different beast, but no more dangerous then fuel....in fact...in a lot of ways a lot LESS dangerous. They just dont make much noise and you LIKE a plane that makes a bunch of rakkit.

You're a good guy Vertical and very knowledgeable about gas and nitro motors where i am not. On the reverse.....I know a crap ton more about electrics then you do as that's where my expertise lies. My safety procedures are slightly different then you would use on a fuel powered plane and I know what to do and what not to do. I have never had a plane fly off the table or anything like that or cut my hand once. Because I know what I am doing and am paying attention. When it comes to gas motors, thats where I refer to your vast knowledge base....and to be honest here....and let everyone know Im not being anything BUT truthful.....did I not ask you to test run my turnigy 50cc gas engine cuz I know next to squat about them?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM
F82FAN

Makes perfect sense now.
I trust it will work as expected.
Hope to see vids when the WX us better and the fires subside!
Sounds like Texas down under too!
Floods, fires, drought, tornados, just missing
some pestilance and we have most of the plagues...
Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 PM
kahloq

Just hope "The Walking Dead" don't come strolling thru in a herd. That's one virus/plague id rather avoid.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM
F82FAN

Just hope ''The Walking Dead'' don't come strolling thru in a herd. That's one virus/plague id rather avoid.
Have you seen a Texan before his coffee????

Scary!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 PM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No...there is ZERO difference. It's only your biased vantaged point and opinion because you LIKE gas engines. Me....once I have my spitfire running with a gas motor, I WILL have a steel wire mesh glove for hand starting as I am not taking chances of losing my fingers....either that or buying a big honkin engine starter to keep my hands away from that dangerous thing. Hobbyking sells one that will turn over a 300cc motor, but its $299

You said......''It is about understanding what is going on and paying attention''. Bingo.......same exact thing for electrics. You have to ARM the esc to get power to the motor....just as you have to start a fuel motor. The difference there is...once the fuel powered motor is running....it has to STAY running. Moving the plane around needs MORE attention then an electric plane since the electric....the motor can be stopped and doesnt require an idle while waiting, taxing, whatever. There are also arming plugs that can be used for electrics as well. Pull that out and NO power gets to motor if you install one regardless of whether the battery is hooked up or rx is on.

Its a different beast, but no more dangerous then fuel....in fact...in a lot of ways a lot LESS dangerous. They just dont make much noise and you LIKE a plane that makes a bunch of rakkit.

You're a good guy Vertical and very knowledgeable about gas and nitro motors where i am not. On the reverse.....I know a crap ton more about electrics then you do as that's where my expertise lies. My safety procedures are slightly different then you would use on a fuel powered plane and I know what to do and what not to do. I have never had a plane fly off the table or anything like that or cut my hand once. Because I know what I am doing and am paying attention. When it comes to gas motors, thats where I refer to your vast knowledge base....and to be honest here....and let everyone know Im not being anything BUT truthful.....did I not ask you to test run my turnigy 50cc gas engine cuz I know next to squat about them?
While this has nothing to do with ESM DO335, I love this debate. Experience, knowledge, and procedures can make both saf(er), but newbies without proper instruction can get in trouble quickly whether hand-proping a gasser or arming an electric motor.

I had a 100mm Tamjet EDF motor spinning at 25,000+ rpms. I had started plenty of electrics but nothing like this. Anyway, the motor would not arm so I moved the throttle stick up and down a few times (mistake number one)...suddenly I heard it arm itself and moved the stick to the low position quickly (mistake number 2). Kahlog can tell you what happened next...beat...beat...The 25,000 rpm motor went to full throttle and exploded the carbon fiber prop into 8 large pieces. One sliced through my sleeve and missed slitting my wrist by a 1/4 inch, the rest shot across the shop like a hand grenade had gone off. It's a miracle I wasn't hurt seriously.

So what did I do wrong to begin with? Anybody know? Beat...Beat...throttle was reversed in the transmitter. It armed itself with the throttle up and went full speed with the throttle down.

I thought I was a pretty smart, careful guy...not any more.

I won't bore you with my HexaCopter stories, but one ESC/BL failure and you could have 6 blades in your face very quickly.

As were learning...and even afterwards...its all dangerous.

Be careful out there.

jim
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 PM
vertical grimmace

I will not comment again on the Electric vs engine issue here as it is off topic. But I see more accidents with electrics than I do with engines. The reason why is that they can go to instant, full power just trying to set them up. Usually these accidents are in the shop or someones living room. There are certainly serious injuries with both types of propulsion, but it is my opinion that you have to be more careful with electrics. There is more of a possibility for the prop to start turning unexpectedly with E power than with an engine. This has nothing to do with which type of propulsion you prefer, it is just the nature of the the beast.

Also, the 2 very serious incidents we have had within our club were grievous errors on the part of the users. 2 airplanes with over 50cc engines started without assistance or proper restraint. They broke all the rules with engines you do not mess around with.

To bring this back to the DO 335, I think much attention will need to be paid to that rear prop when starting if an engine is used here. One time when E power might be safer!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 PM
jimkron

I will not comment again on the Electric vs engine issue here as it is off topic. But I see more accidents with electrics than I do with engines. The reason why is that they can go to instant, full power just trying to set them up. Usually these accidents are in the shop or someones living room. There are certainly serious injuries with both types of propulsion, but it is my opinion that you have to be more careful with electrics. There is more of a possibility for the prop to start turning unexpectedly with E power than with an engine. This has nothing to do with which type of propulsion you prefer, it is just the nature of the the beast.

Also, the 2 very serious incidents we have had within our club were grievous errors on the part of the users. 2 airplanes with over 50cc engines started without assistance or proper restraint. They broke all the rules with engines you do not mess around with.

To bring this back to the DO 335, I think much attention will need to be paid to that rear prop when starting if an engine is used here. One time when E power might be safer!
I have a Eflite 160, 10s, 20x10 prop on the rear of my 335. I like to run the engines up full to make sure everything is working right before I take to the air. (yes, an old habit that might not be necessary with electrics) but I'd rather know there is a power problem before liftoff.

Try standing with your legs against the stab while doing this...one club member did...never again.

Here's a good one...if you have any pebbles or tiny rocks on the runway, the front prop likes to throw them into the rear prop.

You know how we tell people not to stand next to the prop, well now you have twice as many to worry about.

One club member, out of habit, tried to help by grabbing the tail to point the nose towards the runway. "thank you, but please don't do that".

Most people can not comprehend a prop on the rear of a plane...it really is a trick our brain plays on us.

Be careful out there.

I have over 70 flights on my ESM Do335...it still scares the sh!# out me.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimkron
I have over 70 flights on my ESM Do335...it still scares the sh!# out me.
Not to mention those who handled these beasts in real life.

hehe.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 AM
kahloq

I can attest to having seen issues with electric setups also. So yea, its not without risk. One glaring one is others trying to be helpful and grabbing your tx if you need to go get your plane cuz maybe you nosed over on the runway or ran off the side on landing....or whatever. You go to get the plane and someone else is holding your tx and gets started talking with another person......all the while not paying attention and bumps the throttle stick while you're trying to carrying your plane back to the pits. I had that happen a couple weeks ago. Thankfully I was carrying the plane nose away from me(common sense). But the guy had pushed full throttle and I'm trying to yell at him to shut it down.
I won't let anyone take or hold my tx anymore after that.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 AM
kahloq

Btw....I did flip the rear prop around. Thanks to everyone who tried to be inform me about it. I thought I had it right,....and didn't. Apologies for my stubbornness.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck on the maiden flight of the 335, Kahloq, I hope all goes well.

It should because according to Ta 152 it was not difficult to land. I hope you haven't used much of the ARF hardware that came with it, but use rigid big warbird stuff instead.

Hopefully there will be a video too.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 AM
vertical grimmace

I can attest to having seen issues with electric setups also. So yea, its not without risk. One glaring one is others trying to be helpful and grabbing your tx if you need to go get your plane cuz maybe you nosed over on the runway or ran off the side on landing....or whatever. You go to get the plane and someone else is holding your tx and gets started talking with another person......all the while not paying attention and bumps the throttle stick while you're trying to carrying your plane back to the pits. I had that happen a couple weeks ago. Thankfully I was carrying the plane nose away from me(common sense). But the guy had pushed full throttle and I'm trying to yell at him to shut it down.
I would think an arming switch would be the prudent thing here. At least have the ability to unplug the battery before carrying the plane back. Of course this needs to be done quickly as you need to clear the flightline. Isn't a deans plug used to achieve this?

Also, my understanding of this incident, no stick movement was involved at all. It was radio glitch or something . Regardless how it occurred, it is another incident of a motor shooting up to full power unexpectedly. You are lucky you did not get hurt.

Just like having the ability to kill ignition power on the side of a gas engine being mandated by the AMA, some sort of protocol for electrics should be a rule as well. At least with an engine, they have to be turned smartly through compression to start. (not likely while carrying your plane) Where an electric can run up to full power on it's own.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 AM
vertical grimmace

Btw....I did flip the rear prop around. Thanks to everyone who tried to be inform me about it. I thought I had it right,....and didn't. Apologies for my stubbornness.
I bet it blows better now! lol
Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 AM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 335 is more hazardous in the pits
like someone said we are not accustom to the REAR motor
I have had to educated my helper when starting my plane
I always start the rear motor first
with someone standing in front of the stab
then I move to the front and start the front
I have cautioned everyone NOT to grab the top rudder to assist with run up or taxi
same on Landing
I try to be the only one that touches the plane with the motors runningan\\
and I be very careful
treat it like a porcupine it has BARBS everywhere
handle with care electric or fuel
Kaloug is was interesting to see you resist for so long-the advice of everyone on the direction of your prop
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 AM
kahloq

I would think an arming switch would be the prudent thing here. At least have the ability to unplug the battery before carrying the plane back. Of course this needs to be done quickly as you need to clear the flightline. Isn't a deans plug used to achieve this?

Also, my understanding of this incident, no stick movement was involved at all. It was radio glitch or something . Regardless how it occurred, it is another incident of a motor shooting up to full power unexpectedly. You are lucky you did not get hurt.

Just like having the ability to kill ignition power on the side of a gas engine being mandated by the AMA, some sort of protocol for electrics should be a rule as well. At least with an engine, they have to be turned smartly through compression to start. (not likely while carrying your plane) Where an electric can run up to full power on it's own.
That plane did have tthe ability to disconnect the battery with a hatch.....but there were planes still in the air and didn't want to be in the way. As far as the motor and the individual holding the tx.......it wasn't a radio glitch. I could see him holding the tx and the throttle stick was up against his jacket near his abdomen.

Hellcat...yea I was resisting for a bit there more out of frustration then anything. Almost everytime I'm at the field, someone cracks a joke at my expense....even after I've made it clear its getting really old........I'm not referring to anyone in this thread either. Its just a general thing that happens very often from several different ppl......and that aggravation carried over into this thread regarding the prop. I feel like I'm back in high school sometimes when at the field and I have no idea why I get razzed so much. Ok....enough of the vent.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 AM
SunDevilPilot

My friend's DO 335.  It had been flown by the family of my friend on a single gas engine up front.  My friend passed away and another member acquired the model and converted it to a dual electric setup, didn't go well.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM
jimkron

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

My friend's DO 335. It had been flown by the family of my friend on a single gas engine up front. My friend passed away and another member acquired the model and converted it to a dual electric setup, didn't go well.

Easy to get this beast tail heavy. Just guessing, but it looks like his lipos are under the big hatch...that's a mistake. Remember, to measure from the crook.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM
SunDevilPilot

It had been flown as a single gas engine with the same balance point as the electric version. Our guess was a thrustline issue with the rear motor.

SunDevilPilot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.