Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Dornier DO 335

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Dornier DO 335

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dornier DO 335

Look at 2:11 in the video. It looks like they lifted it along the main spar and determined the plane was nose heavy. I'm assuming that's the correct balance point.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

I will not comment again on the Electric vs engine issue here as it is off topic. But I see more accidents with electrics than I do with engines. The reason why is that they can go to instant, full power just trying to set them up. Usually these accidents are in the shop or someones living room. There are certainly serious injuries with both types of propulsion, but it is my opinion that you have to be more careful with electrics. There is more of a possibility for the prop to start turning unexpectedly with E power than with an engine. This has nothing to do with which type of propulsion you prefer, it is just the nature of the the beast.

Also, the 2 very serious incidents we have had within our club were grievous errors on the part of the users. 2 airplanes with over 50cc engines started without assistance or proper restraint. They broke all the rules with engines you do not mess around with.

To bring this back to the DO 335, I think much attention will need to be paid to that rear prop when starting if an engine is used here. One time when E power might be safer!
I apologize for going off topic. oliveDrab tends to do that.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There does not seem to be any way to tell where they lifted the plane from. The view of the wing tip is blocked..
ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

Look at 2:11 in the video. It looks like they lifted it along the main spar and determined the plane was nose heavy. I'm assuming that's the correct balance point.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: drifter

There does not seem to be any way to tell where they lifted the plane from. The view of the wing tip is blocked..

Yes - the view is blocked. But it looks like they tried to verify the balance was acceptable and apparently they thought it was.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
jimkron

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: drifter

Yes - the view is blocked. But it looks like they tried to verify the balance was acceptable and apparently they thought it was.
Balancing this plane is serious business because of the weight of the rear motor, mount, spinner, prop, wiring, esc, etc
I missed that at 2:11...wow...I spent hours moving batteries around, adding nose weight, double-checking measurements, etc. I obsessed for days...stopped...then started all over again to make sure I didn't miss something. For what-ever reason ESM measured back from the wing crook (151mm??? I can't remember) This adds to the trickyness. Not to mention the lower tail fin...there is no margin for error...cg has to be perfect.

Just look at how much airplane is aft of the CG. Hats off to the Germans for figuring it all out.

jim
Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

My friend's DO 335. It had been flown by the family of my friend on a single gas engine up front. My friend passed away and another member acquired the model and converted it to a dual electric setup, didn't go well.

Im sorry......but regardless of it having previously flown with a gas engine....the setup shown in the video was severely tail heavy....and I mean BADLY tail heavy. Thrust line had nothing to do with it. The angle of attack on this plane is setup so that the plane sticks to the ground even with the slightly longer then scale ESM nose strut. It will lift off on its own without much elevator input and will do so in a very flat manner once it reaches speed on the ground. This is what other pilots have reported who have built and flown this model....not my own experience since Im still building mine.

There is no hatch on the front of the nose to put batteries in on that plane in the video. There are THREE bulkheads in the way from that midline fuse cover hatch to behind the firewall of the front motor. Its not possible to get batteries up forward far enough without really compromising the integrity of the internal structure without making a hatch........OR packing in a snot load of dead lead thru the wheel well opening behind the firewall. Additionally, there is no front spinner...just a little Higly type prophub. Had the plane been balanced right, the pilot would have had to put a spinner up front just for weight.

At the 2:07 mark...the pilot had turned the plane around and no longer had any grip on the tail. It was obviously still light on the nose. You may have to replay that spot a few times to see what Im referring to.

This is video of an electric setup on this plane that's been shown before in the thread....but it shows very clearly how the plane takes off when properly balanced........flat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_5TmC94BF0
Old 02-23-2013, 03:49 PM
jimkron

ORIGINAL: kahloq

ORIGINAL: SunDevilPilot

My friend's DO 335. It had been flown by the family of my friend on a single gas engine up front. My friend passed away and another member acquired the model and converted it to a dual electric setup, didn't go well.

Im sorry......but regardless of it having previously flown with a gas engine....the setup shown in the video was severely tail heavy....and I mean BADLY tail heavy. Thrust line had nothing to do with it. The angle of attack on this plane is setup so that the plane sticks to the ground even with the slightly longer then scale ESM nose strut. It will lift off on its own without much elevator input and will do so in a very flat manner once it reaches speed on the ground. This is what other pilots have reported who have built and flown this model....not my own experience since Im still building mine.

There is no hatch on the front of the nose to put batteries in on that plane in the video. There are THREE bulkheads in the way from that midline fuse cover hatch to behind the firewall of the front motor. Its not possible to get batteries up forward far enough without really compromising the integrity of the internal structure without making a hatch........OR packing in a snot load of dead lead thru the wheel well opening behind the firewall. Additionally, there is no front spinner...just a little Higly type prophub. Had the plane been balanced right, the pilot would have had to put a spinner up front just for weight.

At the 2:07 mark...the pilot had turned the plane around and no longer had any grip on the tail. It was obviously still light on the nose. You may have to replay that spot a few times to see what Im referring to.

This is video of an electric setup on this plane that's been shown before in the thread....but it shows very clearly how the plane takes off when properly balanced........flat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_5TmC94BF0
Thank you...that would be my plane.
Hatch in front of cockpit with 4 X 5s 5000mah lipos.
I reinforced the area with carbon fiber after cutting bulkheads, etc.
Plane balanced with less than a pound in the cowl. It could use a little more nose weight. The tail can drop a bit on landing if you don't keep the speed up. Dislocated the bottom fin recently. Our old astroturf runway is only 400 feet so I added brakes to the Sierra retracts.

jim
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM
kahloq

Would you be so kind as to remind me which retracts you used? Sierra or the ESM? I ask because I have the ESM and understand the nose strut to be a rad long scale wise. The wheels included with the gear are 4.5" mains and 3.5" nose. However, in an effort to try to give a tad bit more room under the bottom tail fin, I bought the older style ESM aluminum hub 4.5" mains and a 3" nose wheel. So, that'll drop the nose by an 1/8". Not much, but do you think that will make any difference?
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Dang! What a shame. They really missed the nose weight of the gas engine up front.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM
jimkron

Would you be so kind as to remind me which retracts you used? Sierra or the ESM? I ask because I have the ESM and understand the nose strut to be a rad long scale wise. The wheels included with the gear are 4.5'' mains and 3.5'' nose. However, in an effort to try to give a tad bit more room under the bottom tail fin, I bought the older style ESM aluminum hub 4.5'' mains and a 3'' nose wheel. So, that'll drop the nose by an 1/8''. Not much, but do you think that will make any difference?
The ESM's were priced right and looked good but felt cheap. My retracts and brakes by Sierra with 4.5 inch wheels are much more stout, especially since my plane topped 35 lbs. I was tempted to put 5" in there but I already had the other ones. I would go with 5" if you have not purchase yet. Anything to get the plane higher. Watch that Lower Tail fin.

jim
Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 AM
kahloq

I already received the wheels, however i could shim the retracts themselves off the wood rails a bit. The issue there would be the wheel pants wouldnt be flush with the wing.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 AM
jimkron

I already received the wheels, however i could shim the retracts themselves off the wood rails a bit. The issue there would be the wheel pants wouldnt be flush with the wing.
I fly without pants.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 AM
jimkron

Out of curiosity, do you guys from Fort Collins know each other?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM
vertical grimmace

We do. You should see how we argue in person! lol
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: jimkron

Yes....we fly at the same field. We give each other a lot of crap cuz we both like different spectrums of the power options(gas vs electric). We are both warbird fanatics as well as mostly prefer Luftwaffe planes...very rare at our field. Vertical's only current flying 50cc size plane is a Mig3 though LOL....however, he is half way through a build of an Anderson plans 110+" TA-152, has a Holman D9 that I helped him procure and of course his 1/4 Busa Fokker DVII. Smaller size he has a Platt D9. He likes gassers.

Me...well....I have a lot more in quantity of planes( talking warbirds here)....predominantly electric and some glow...including the ESM fw-190D9 and this Do-335, however, many of them are 120 size ESM planes....a few H9, etc. The one giant scale plane I had acquired prior to the D9 was an 80" H9 P-51(not my cup of tea really...only built it to fly with a friend that doesnt visit the field much anymore)....and as such...that P-51 just sits in the basement.

In an attempt to make peace(tongue in cheek here since me and Vertical are actually friends)....I bought that Hobbyking 89" Spitfire and will be installing the 50cc turnigy gasser I mentioned a bit earlier back(the one I asked vertical to test run for me).
That'll make him happy LOL...but he'll always give me chit about electrics no matter what I do.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM
jimkron

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

We do. You should see how we argue in person! lol
That's Funny...I think its great. Frankly, the knowledge we learn here feels more accurate when there is a little discourse.

Jim
Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 PM
kahloq

You know though......I'll find some gizmo or something to put on that giant spitfire even with a gasser that will drive Vertical batty!!! Like an electric start system or something off the wall <big grin>........hmmmmm...would that make it a hybrid? Might get better gas mileage LOL
Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 PM
jimkron

You know though......I'll find some gizmo or something to put on that giant spitfire even with a gasser that will drive Vertical batty!!! Like an electric start system or something off the wall <big grin>........hmmmmm...would that make it a hybrid? Might get better gas mileage LOL
Put something on there that won't destroy the outline of one of the most beautiful planes of all time. No muffler please.

jim
Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Ameisenbar

Well, one of our members found a pretty effective way of destroying the outline of a Spitfire, gas powered, I think about 35cc. I wasn't close, but it was either the CoG to far back like the 335 a few posts back, or else he just heaved it off the ground a bit soon. Either way it was a pretty short maiden flight. Those elliptical wings are pretty, but not very forgiving at low speeds.

John
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 AM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jimkon
your statement that "you fly without pants" that may work in califonia
I just hope other people dont try that

if you are in the North Texas Panhandle you would freeze to death
some of us are not so lucky

I just couldnt resist that easy lay up
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 AM
kahloq

Put something on there that won't destroy the outline of one of the most beautiful planes of all time. No muffler please.

jim
Well...dont really have a choice on the muffler since I've already commited to using a gas engine on the spitfire. I did order a pitts style wrap around, so hopefully, there wont be much showing out of the cowl except a couple short muffler pipes. But.....since I mostly prefer luftwaffe planes, keeping the lines of the spitfire intact isnt as high on my list.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 AM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is my muffler on my yellow spit
home made
nothing hangs out except the G 62 plug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77281.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1856148  
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 AM
vertical grimmace

Yes....we fly at the same field. We give each other a lot of crap cuz we both like different spectrums of the power options(gas vs electric). We are both warbird fanatics as well as mostly prefer Luftwaffe planes...very rare at our field. Vertical's only current flying 50cc size plane is a Mig3 though LOL....however, he is half way through a build of an Anderson plans 110+'' TA-152, has a Holman D9 that I helped him procure and of course his 1/4 Busa Fokker DVII. Smaller size he has a Platt D9. He likes gassers.

Me...well....I have a lot more in quantity of planes( talking warbirds here)....predominantly electric and some glow...including the ESM fw-190D9 and this Do-335, however, many of them are 120 size ESM planes....a few H9, etc. The one giant scale plane I had acquired prior to the D9 was an 80'' H9 P-51(not my cup of tea really...only built it to fly with a friend that doesnt visit the field much anymore)....and as such...that P-51 just sits in the basement.

In an attempt to make peace(tongue in cheek here since me and Vertical are actually friends)....I bought that Hobbyking 89'' Spitfire and will be installing the 50cc turnigy gasser I mentioned a bit earlier back(the one I asked vertical to test run for me).
That'll make him happy LOL...but he'll always give me chit about electrics no matter what I do.
It is easier to have more aircarft when you do not build them! lol Also, I am kinda poor. But thankfully I do not crash as much.

Sorry to disappoint you though Kahloq, I will still not be happy!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
kahloq

I do not build planes from plans no. That is not a part of the hobby that has held interest for me. Maybe one day I'll give it a go. So...your not even happy that the spit will be a gasser? And for crashing......I do recall you getting the smoking hole award at Pueblo warbird meet last year.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
vertical grimmace

I did not crash anything last year. I lost my triplane after 9 years of a lot of use from that plane. It got the smoking hole 2 years ago at the warbirds over the rockies. The only other crash I had was my Mig 3 2 years ago, but I rebuilt it and it is flying once again. One of the benefits of building, they can generally be repaired if the motivation exists. Heck, not sure if you noticed, but I did not even have an engine issue last year. But you were probably too busy charging batteries to notice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.