Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

SIG Mustang 450

Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 AM
xcead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SIG Mustang 450

Hello, has anyone ever built this plane? any info will be usefull. I've downloaded the .pdf plans

Regards
Old 07-26-2019, 10:23 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

I would highly suggest using a more modern airfoil. If you may have noticed on the plans the tip airfoil is incredibly thin and has an insane amount of washout. The Mustang was designed when we thought that you needed thin airfoils to fly fast. Having designed airfoils for a fair amount models I would be more then happy to work up a set for you, all I would need is the root cord and thickness and the tip cord.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:25 AM
xcead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I would highly suggest using a more modern airfoil. If you may have noticed on the plans the tip airfoil is incredibly thin and has an insane amount of washout. The Mustang was designed when we thought that you needed thin airfoils to fly fast. Having designed airfoils for a fair amount models I would be more then happy to work up a set for you, all I would need is the root cord and thickness and the tip cord.
Nice! Thank you
This weekend i'll be working on it
Old 07-26-2019, 11:30 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Glad to help, this way I can do some design work without having to spend any money on a building a new airplane I don't have room for LOL. The last go fast airplane I designed for Warbird pylon racing did very well, coming within one second of the course record in Sacramento.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:45 PM
festus01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've build this kit 1982. With a Saito 80 Flat Twin it had more weight then with the 40 size two stroke engine. Normal flying was ok, but in low speed turns tip stall could be possible without warning. In these times we used hairspray to decrease stall speed on wing tip. This helped a little bit, but it was still to heavy to be a good flyer.

Regards
Martin

SIG Mustang 450, 1982
Old 12-06-2019, 08:08 AM
RACE 66

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at this website. Couple of years ago I purchased the 'sport ribs' and worked out well. Something to consider.
Website to 'ribs': | Lazer Works - Engraving & Design | Radio Control Airplanes, Specialty, and More Look under 'misc'

Here's what they offer:450 Midget Mustang
$93.00
(Original Race Wing Version)
$99.00
(Modified Sport Wing Version)

From Sig Kit Plans

Wingspan: 51 1/2 in.

.32 / .53 2-Stroke

4 Ch. Radio

Note: This particular parts file is for their original 450 Midget Mustang. It is an earlier version of the one that came out with the fiberglass fuselage. The one that we’re offering has a built up fuselage.

So, we're also offering 2 versions of the wing: the thin, race wing and a thicker, what we call a "sport" wing. It still builds on the same plans, but it has a thicker airfoil, making the airplane more fun to fly.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 AM
mgnostic

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by RACE 66
Take a look at this website. Couple of years ago I purchased the 'sport ribs' and worked out well. Something to consider.
Website to 'ribs': | Lazer Works - Engraving & Design | Radio Control Airplanes, Specialty, and More Look under 'misc'

Here's what they offer:450 Midget Mustang
$93.00
(Original Race Wing Version)
$99.00
(Modified Sport Wing Version)

From Sig Kit Plans

Wingspan: 51 1/2 in.

.32 / .53 2-Stroke

4 Ch. Radio

Note: This particular parts file is for their original 450 Midget Mustang. It is an earlier version of the one that came out with the fiberglass fuselage. The one that we’re offering has a built up fuselage.

So, we're also offering 2 versions of the wing: the thin, race wing and a thicker, what we call a "sport" wing. It still builds on the same plans, but it has a thicker airfoil, making the airplane more fun to fly.

The guy who runs Lazerworks is an experienced builder. I've built a half dozen of his kits and he pays a lot of attention to parts fit.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:01 AM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love Lazer-works