Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Hello All,
Yes, I know its been a long time! Been working on some other models also!!
1... The Graphics are pre-applied for you now!!
2... ALL GB will be 2 piece wings.
3... There are no flyying wires, But can be added.
4... Yes, we are working dummy radial.
5... The model comes with wire gear, BUT we are getting oleo struts made for 30cc and up!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

There you are Great add with the radial and especially the oleo struts, now when you say wire can be added for wing and landing gear support, does that mean the mounting supports are already in the wing and fuse or does that mean we as modelers will be responsible for going into the structure and adding our own attachment points? The wire also attaches to the gear through the wheel pants, that would be another concern. While I'm bashing,[:@] is there a possibility that the fuselage could get a little more sheeting. From the pics it appears that the wings are fully sheeted, which is very nice, and the fuse is only partially sheeted. A fully sheeted fuse would look 100% better and add a lot of structural support. Thanks for listening Gerry and hope to be contacting you soon for a little jet fly

will be in touch

Go low if you wanna make a show
Jimmy
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM
gjhinshaw

YES, You as a Modeler will have to do this. The wing plugs into the fuse. This has been test and holds up very well! Now saying that we did bust a wing!! we came by at about 100mph and yanked the Elev. up. (OH...SNAP!) Yep, it snaped the wing. It was sad, but cool! The video is being worked one to get up and so YOU and everyone else can see!! The wires are for the scale look, but not needed. The 150cc, I am pushing for the wires. This will be talked about when I see it in April. In volunteers to test?? LOL..... Here are some pictures of the frame
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60021.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1585411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58302.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1585412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76040.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1585413  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great meeting you in Toledo Gerry.

Guys, this airplane is AWESOME! I will be doing a review of the 50cc version in RCU magazine as soon as it arrives.

I'll post building notes in this thread as I go along and when it goes live, I'll post a link to the review.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
GotSky

Mine is on the Way... Woot Woot. Now just need to get 2 other builds done before I can start.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We ordered two of these beauties, the 50cc version at Toledo, and with great anticipation they arrived yesterday. Both boxes arrived in good shape with the kits, fairly well packed and the contents secured. Unfortunately, we found damage to both models.
The wood ring formers on both cowls were cracked, wood missing, with the fiberglass on one cowl being dented and cracked. The thin wood formers were not even glassed to the inside of the cowls, rather just spot glued in place. Not too tough of a fix as new cowl formers can be easily be traced and fabricated out of thicker, better quality wood. The broken cowl however cannot be fixed.
The covering seams on one of the fuselages are really bad and I'm not sure if they can be fixed without doing a re-cover. I was surprised at this as film covering is one part of ARF manufacturing that the Chinese have really mastered in recent years. Additionally, there was a broken and loose former on one of the fuses. I would recommend that a complete inspection be done on the fuse framework to identify any loose glue joints. One of the wheel pants was also cracked
The canopy/turtltedeck on one model is bent and cracked. Not sure if it can be repaired.
All in all we're a bit dissapointed . We were actuallly thinking about doing a written reveiw of this model after we got them airborne. In our discussion with Gerry at Toledo, he assured us that ALL models were thouroughly checked out prior to being shipped by GMP to the customer. Looks like a couple must have slipped throught the cracks. This is obviously a first run,new ARF product and some problems are to be expected. Rarely do the manufacturers get it right the first time, no matter what country they are made in. Having said that, we're probably going to send one model back to GMP and just build the one. For the price we paid, there's just too much repair work needed to make it right.
I'm sure we'll get a good response back from GMP as they seemed to be honest and very focused on customer support.

Good flying,
paul
Old 04-13-2011, 02:16 PM
gjhinshaw

Paul,
Glad you got the models!! Can you send me pictures?? I need pictures to show/prove to China these areas need fixed and WEREN'T done as told!! I will call you and we can discuss options!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:24 AM
pacoflyer

Gerry,
Thanks very much for your follow up phone call the other day regarding the R 3, as I enjoyed our chat. I feel much better about the whole thing now that we have talked about the issues with the plane. Unfortunately the plane left via Fed EX back to you before I had a chance to take any pictures of the things we discussed. We still have the other R 3 and as we get into building that one, I'd be happy to document the things we need to change and pass them on to you. In the end, I'm sure we'll get his all sorted out and get the changes made to make this a great ARF. Please keep us posted as to the availablity of the landing gear oleos as I really believe they will be needed for those not so perfect landings .
Good luck with your trip to China.

Good Flying,
paul
Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Capt Midnight

Gerry,

My Gee Bee arrived last Saturday via Fed-Ex with no apparent external damage, however when I opened up the shipping container my observation was very similar to Pacoflyer's (Paul's). The fuse, wings, elevator halves and other misc. parts seemed to have come though OK, but the cowl was a different story. Even though the cowl was placed right-side-up in the box (sitting on the rear edge), the cowl had taken a side hit in transit as the mounting ring was in 3 pieces in the bag, and the cowl had 2 major creases in it that split the paint. Additionally, there were 3 large dents inwards, which I was able to push out without damaging the cowl further.

I stuffed the cowl with newspaper and foam rubber in order to let the cowl regain it's shape naturally, and will look at it again this weekend to see if I need to work it over with a heat gun to get it back in shape. If this works, I'm hoping the cowl can be salvaged.

Aero-works and Pilot-RC both have had similar problems with their shipments over the years. Their corrective-action fixes now include using a solid piece of light-ply cut in the exact shape of the cowl itself, and then screwed/bolted to the mounting ring to prevent crush damage. Their shipping containers also have a layer of 1/8" thick Masonite between the outer shipping carton and the retail carton, in order to provide more protection from concealed shipping damage.

Regarding the vinyl graphics included with the ARF; these are made with very thin-gauge material that will tear or stretch very easily, if the end-user isn't careful. The graphics are also lacking a carrier layer, so the letters would have to be positioned by hand using masking tape as a guide. This will make for a long and difficult installation when it comes time to apply the graphics. My set was also missing one of the white "TEXACO" text logos for the side of the aircraft.

Since it will be at least 30 days before I get some of my other aircraft off the workbench in order to start work on the Gee Bee, I have shipped the entire package of graphics up to Bad Brad Graphics in Cedarburg, WI. Brad does most off my graphics, and keeps all the artwork that I have sent him over the years on file. He is also going to send me a couple sets of the round "Texaco" logo that I have used on my other Gee Bee's. This logo will be sized at 6-1/2" diameter in order to fit the cowl.

Lastly, I reviewed the CD that came with the plane. The documentation does not contain any information relating to balance point, or recommended control surface throws for initial flight set-up. You may want to ad that to your "to-do" list of items to discuss, as it sounds like you have a trip coming up shortly.

Good Luck with that...

Bob

Name:	Ec89244.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1594332  
Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM
gjhinshaw

Here is the CG!

Name:	Rp44444.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1594351  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Capt Midnight

Thanks Gerry. Looks like a very broad range though, if I'm reading the .jpeg right.... 5.00" to 6.25" from the leading edge. It looks like the 6.25" dimension is place right in the middle of the wing tube. Is this how you interpret the drawing?

B.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 PM
gjhinshaw

The 6.25 is the front 1/4 of the wing tube
Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 AM
n8622t

ORIGINAL: Capt Midnight

Gerry,

My Gee Bee arrived last Saturday via Fed-Ex with no apparent external damage, however when I opened up the shipping container my observation was very similar to Pacoflyer's (Paul's). The fuse, wings, elevator halves and other misc. parts seemed to have come though OK, but the cowl was a different story. Even though the cowl was placed right-side-up in the box (sitting on the rear edge), the cowl had taken a side hit in transit as the mounting ring was in 3 pieces in the bag, and the cowl had 2 major creases in it that split the paint. Additionally, there were 3 large dents inwards, which I was able to push out without damaging the cowl further.

I stuffed the cowl with newspaper and foam rubber in order to let the cowl regain it's shape naturally, and will look at it again this weekend to see if I need to work it over with a heat gun to get it back in shape. If this works, I'm hoping the cowl can be salvaged.

Aero-works and Pilot-RC both have had similar problems with their shipments over the years. Their corrective-action fixes now include using a solid piece of light-ply cut in the exact shape of the cowl itself, and then screwed/bolted to the mounting ring to prevent crush damage. Their shipping containers also have a layer of 1/8'' thick Masonite between the outer shipping carton and the retail carton, in order to provide more protection from concealed shipping damage.

Regarding the vinyl graphics included with the ARF; these are made with very thin-gauge material that will tear or stretch very easily, if the end-user isn't careful. The graphics are also lacking a carrier layer, so the letters would have to be positioned by hand using masking tape as a guide. This will make for a long and difficult installation when it comes time to apply the graphics. My set was also missing one of the white ''TEXACO'' text logos for the side of the aircraft.

Since it will be at least 30 days before I get some of my other aircraft off the workbench in order to start work on the Gee Bee, I have shipped the entire package of graphics up to Bad Brad Graphics in Cedarburg, WI. Brad does most off my graphics, and keeps all the artwork that I have sent him over the years on file. He is also going to send me a couple sets of the round ''Texaco'' logo that I have used on my other Gee Bee's. This logo will be sized at 6-1/2'' diameter in order to fit the cowl.

Lastly, I reviewed the CD that came with the plane. The documentation does not contain any information relating to balance point, or recommended control surface throws for initial flight set-up. You may want to ad that to your ''to-do'' list of items to discuss, as it sounds like you have a trip coming up shortly.

Good Luck with that...

Bob
Hey Captain Midnight, post a pic of the badbradgraphics when you get them. Brad does a lot of stuff for me as well, he is very reasonable in price for a really great quality product.

Jimmy
Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 AM
gjhinshaw

I am trying to contact him but his wife is in the hospital. We may say NO THANKS to the ones that come with it and just get them from Brad. INTERESTED??????? I am also waiting to talk to him on more graphics!!! Check out our Matt Hall 100cc!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Capt Midnight

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

I am trying to contact him but his wife is in the hospital. We may say NO THANKS to the ones that come with it and just get them from Brad. INTERESTED??????? I am also waiting to talk to him on more graphics!!! Check out our Matt Hall 100cc!!!

Gerry,

I called Brad also today, but he's not picking up on his end. He'll probably be back on Monday, so try him then. I sent him all the graphics that came with my plane on Friday so he should have these by Monday as well. Brad said he would work on the cutting layout and send me the artwork via email for discussion & approval. I will also talk to him about the "Texaco" logo artwork that I sent him previously and can send him a release so you and your other customers can use the Texaco art work if you want to. If I can I will also post the artwork that Brad sends me on this forum as well.

B.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Michael lazzaro

Hello all. I will be following this thread cause I have the 100cc version and still deciding if I'm gonna go with DLE-111 or a Moki 215 or 250. I think the Moki would be cool! Looking forward to more pics, post, and vids.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 PM
gjhinshaw

Everyone........ I am on my way to China to vist the factory and will taking notes!!!! PLEASE, let me know if there is anything!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Capt Midnight

Travel safe, Gerry.

B.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM
gjhinshaw

THANKS!!! 11 Days!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM
pacoflyer

Gerry,
As I had suggested to you earlier, I would take care of the CD instructional and the graphix upgrades of your R3 over here in the states, and just concentrate on the construction issues when you meet with the factory reps.

Just my 2 cents...

Take care and have a safe trip,
paul
Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you bring me back an order of Moo Goo Gai pan?

Safe trip!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 PM
gjhinshaw

Paul,
YEP!!! Bad BRAD doing Graphic's for them!!! I am working on the CD. thanks!! AND GOT YOUR EMAIL!!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 AM
n8622t

Ok Jet Guru, you take care over there and just remember, you are 100% capitalist!!! Talk to ya soon.

Jimmy
ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

THANKS!!! 11 Days!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:49 AM
n8622t

Put me down for a set of badbradgraphics.com in 100cc size please.

Thank you
Jimmy
Old 04-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Capt Midnight

Graphics Update

I sent my copy of the graphics that came with my R3 to Bad Brad Graphics last week, and have been working with him on the phone this week to fine-tune converting the graphics package into something that was more complete, and more to the point, user-friendly and easily installable as they will have a built-in carrier strip, which the original graphics did not have. The end result is displayed in the photo below.

The original package was very lacking in that some of the graphics were incomplete, or missing entirely (at least in my set).

To explain the graphic photo below further, the "NR1312Y" and the "TEXACO" graphics shown in "Lime Green" with a black border, are actually 2-color graphics (White vinyl with a black border). The reason for the is two-fold; to allow the "NR1312Y" logo to be used and placed anywhere on either the top or bottom of the wing (the original graphics did not have anything for the wing), and to keep the "TEXACO" from "bleeding out" as happens when White logo is used over a Red background without a border. The "NR1312Y" art is sized at about 16" wide and the "TEXACO" is about 18" wide and both were scaled off the original supplied graphics.

The four round "Texaco Star" logos have a Kelly Green "T" on the star, and are sized at 5-1/2" in diameter and will allow their us on the cowl, as well as on the top and bottom of the wing next to the "66" numbers (if the user wants to). The "66" numbers were copied and styled from my 59" Electric Gee Bee R3 that I did 3 years ago, as they are more contemporary and typical of a futuristic Granville Brothers R3 built in 2011, rather than the square-edged, military styled numbers used in the original graphics. 4 sets of numbers are in the package; 2 large for use on the wings, and 2 smaller for use on the fuse sides.

The small "NR1312Y" numbers are for use on the rudder, and scale out at about 5-3/4" side.

Lastly we come to the Gee Bee R3 Special logo... This was styled after the full sized Gee Bee Sportster on display at the Udvar-Hazy hanger at the Smithsonian; you can't get more "scale" than that. This is 2-color art (Red with a Black border) that is scaled to fit the 50cc version. If you want all black, Bad Brad can to do that also, or you can give your 7 year old daughter a magic marker and let her whack away at the tail after you think you're done; you'll probably end up with something that looks better that the original graphics anyway...

I'll be meeting Brad this weekend at a local swap meet that he's displaying at, and picking up my graphics. Any changes or notable differences, I'll note in a future post. If you need to get a hold of Brad, his info is...

Brad Schulz
1558 Sylmar Road
Cedarburg, WI 53012
262-377-3944
www.badbradgraphics.com

Later... B.

Name:	Tr51541.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	1597176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81969.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1597177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17078.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1597178  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.