Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: Giant Model Products Introduces a 50cc GeeBee R3 ARF

Captain Midnight, that looks like the Hobby Lobby electric they used to sell! Good looking plane!! Hey Gerry, we miss you![]

Jimmy
Old 04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
n8622t

ORIGINAL: Capt Midnight

Graphics Update

I sent my copy of the graphics that came with my R3 to Bad Brad Graphics last week, and have been working with him on the phone this week to fine-tune converting the graphics package into something that was more complete, and more to the point, user-friendly and easily installable as they will have a built-in carrier strip, which the original graphics did not have. The end result is displayed in the photo below.

The original package was very lacking in that some of the graphics were incomplete, or missing entirely (at least in my set).

To explain the graphic photo below further, the ''NR1312Y'' and the ''TEXACO'' graphics shown in ''Lime Green'' with a black border, are actually 2-color graphics (White vinyl with a black border). The reason for the is two-fold; to allow the ''NR1312Y'' logo to be used and placed anywhere on either the top or bottom of the wing (the original graphics did not have anything for the wing), and to keep the ''TEXACO'' from ''bleeding out'' as happens when White logo is used over a Red background without a border. The ''NR1312Y'' art is sized at about 16'' wide and the ''TEXACO'' is about 18'' wide and both were scaled off the original supplied graphics.

The four round ''Texaco Star'' logos have a Kelly Green ''T'' on the star, and are sized at 5-1/2'' in diameter and will allow their us on the cowl, as well as on the top and bottom of the wing next to the ''66'' numbers (if the user wants to). The ''66'' numbers were copied and styled from my 59'' Electric Gee Bee R3 that I did 3 years ago, as they are more contemporary and typical of a futuristic Granville Brothers R3 built in 2011, rather than the square-edged, military styled numbers used in the original graphics. 4 sets of numbers are in the package; 2 large for use on the wings, and 2 smaller for use on the fuse sides.

The small ''NR1312Y'' numbers are for use on the rudder, and scale out at about 5-3/4'' side.

Lastly we come to the Gee Bee R3 Special logo... This was styled after the full sized Gee Bee Sportster on display at the Udvar-Hazy hanger at the Smithsonian; you can't get more ''scale'' than that. This is 2-color art (Red with a Black border) that is scaled to fit the 50cc version. If you want all black, Bad Brad can to do that also, or you can give your 7 year old daughter a magic marker and let her whack away at the tail after you think you're done; you'll probably end up with something that looks better that the original graphics anyway...

I'll be meeting Brad this weekend at a local swap meet that he's displaying at, and picking up my graphics. Any changes or notable differences, I'll note in a future post. If you need to get a hold of Brad, his info is...

Brad Schulz
1558 Sylmar Road
Cedarburg, WI 53012
262-377-3944
www.badbradgraphics.com

Later... B.
Nice job on the graphics Captain Midnight! For those that dont know Bad Brads work, it is second to none and his pricing is more than reasonable! Get in line guys for his graphics you wont be disappointed

Go low if you wanna make a show
Jimmy
Old 04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All from China,

So far things are going great! They understand what I am wanting from them! I have been very busy with them in the factory. GUYS...... If you EVER get a chance to come see just what goes into ONE model, You would look at it differently!! I have takin many notes and pictures and videos.
1. What a kit?? They are producing the GB as a kit now! As well as the Sbach, Edge, Yak...etc...
2. For now one the whell pants will be a ONE Piece.
3. The Cowl will have fiberglass around the cowl ring, and the FRONT WILL NOT BE CUT OUT! Some have complained about the curve not being correct.
For those of you that want to know, This is ALL cut out and sanded by HAND!
4. They are now sending ALL kits with Carbon fiber tubes
5. The fiberglass tubes are being doubled.
6. The Cowl is going to have more fiberglass.
7. The canopy is going to be a 2 piece.
8. They are making Oleo struts for all GB's
9. BETTER PACKING WILL BE DONE!!!
I hope this helps most of you! I have traveled 10,000 miles to help bring great products!!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 PM
gjhinshaw

CG for the 50cc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49748.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1597281  
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Capt Midnight

ORIGINAL: n8622t

Captain Midnight, that looks like the Hobby Lobby electric they used to sell! Good looking plane!! Hey Gerry, we miss you![]

Jimmy
Yup!

It is. This is plane #2.

B.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:08 PM
n8622t

Hey Gerry, any changes to the 100cc?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
gjhinshaw

Yes, It will be like the 50cc changes
Old 04-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Capt Midnight

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

Hello All from China,

So far things are going great! They understand what I am wanting from them! I have been very busy with them in the factory. GUYS...... If you EVER get a chance to come see just what goes into ONE model, You would look at it differently!! I have takin many notes and pictures and videos.
1. What a kit?? They are producing the GB as a kit now! As well as the Sbach, Edge, Yak...etc...
2. For now one the whell pants will be a ONE Piece.
3. The Cowl will have fiberglass around the cowl ring, and the FRONT WILL NOT BE CUT OUT! Some have complained about the curve not being correct.
For those of you that want to know, This is ALL cut out and sanded by HAND!
4. They are now sending ALL kits with Carbon fiber tubes
5. The fiberglass tubes are being doubled.
6. The Cowl is going to have more fiberglass.
7. The canopy is going to be a 2 piece.
8. They are making Oleo struts for all GB's
9. BETTER PACKING WILL BE DONE!!!
I hope this helps most of you! I have traveled 10,000 miles to help bring great products!!
Gerry,

Since we seem to be part of the factory's product development team (although we didn't know it at the time we bought into the plane) how about some upgrade or replacement program for the parts that need to be changed or replaced?

B.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 PM
gjhinshaw

Capt. Midnight, ARE YOU CRAZY????????

Yes, I will be working with everyone that has bought one!!! This isn't TBM!! (SORRY for that last commit TBM!)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 PM
n8622t

LOL I love it

Yes, I will be working with everyone that has bought one!!! This isn't TBM!! (SORRY for that last commit TBM!)
Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 PM
n8622t

Don't be sorry about the comment, they need to face who they are
Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Capt Midnight

Yup! Certifiably so.

Crazy like a Fox...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 AM
jose pop

Hello boys,

I´m from Madrid Spain and i brought this 50cc Gee Bee R3 airplane made in China, i want to start to build up the model but i haven´t got instructions or CD with indication or any documentation.

Can anybody please post or send me by e.mail the files of the build up instruccions or documentation.

Thanks...

Sorry for my spelling...
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 PM
gjhinshaw

Here are some pictures! This has been a GREAT trip for me and GMP! With the understanding that changes will be made to packing and product.
1. Wheel pants will be one piece.
2. Struts are being made for DROP IN FIT! (extra)
3. More fiberglass to wheel pants, cowl, and wing tubes
4. ALL GB'S will come with Carbon Fiber wing tubes
There are a few more but this is the most!! I will be talking to everyone that has bought one for the up-graded parts.

I have set out to change the RC Market and so far its working!!
You think that with all these upgrades the cost will go up?? WRONG!! Cost will be the same!!
Got the first look at the 100cc GB!! SWEET!!! BIG!!! WOW!!! Check out the web page in a few days and specs will be up!!

I have also been talking to many of the manufactours on this trip, and they are all willing to cooperate with GMP!! So maybe, we will be selling ALL the top brand airplanes at a REDUCED PRICE!!! I'm not here to play games!! I am here in China FOR YOU, THE MODELER!!!

Name:	Us54742.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1599342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95980.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1599343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62055.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1599344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65348.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1599345  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:23 AM
kerwin50

Have you checked on any smoke pumps while your over there?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Michael lazzaro

If anyone is interested I just started a build thread of the 100cc geebee under giant scale general this morning. Got a couple of pics up but gonna put more pics and info soon.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM
GotSky

Just wondering for those of us that have already put out the money for the first kit. Will you be sending us these upgrades.. Please let me know before I begin building mine. As this would seem to include wheel pants, cowl, and wings along with wing tube and possible canopy
Old 04-27-2011, 04:43 PM
n8622t

HI Gerry, Micheal Lazzaro started a thread on the 100cc GeeBee and it looks really nice. I still think the airplane would be drastically improved if the fuselage was fully sheeted. Just a note while you are in China An example of this is the new Aeroworks 100cc Yak 55M. Rocco chose to sheet the fuse of the plane as well as the wings and the airplane is gorgeous!! The 100cc GeeBee is beautiful, but a fully sheeted fuse would take it to a higher level. As long as the nose of the plane is, I don't think cg will be any issue. Ok enough from me, I made my point

Best regards
Jimmy
Old 04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Capt Midnight

Graphics for the R3 Gee Bee

Hi to everyone...

My graphics package from Bad Brad arrived this afternoon. Simply put, they're even better than the artwork that Brad had sent to me previously (see below), especially the "Gee Bee R3 Special" logo done in Red with a Black outline. Brad really took his time and did it right, which is why I didn't pick them up at the swap meet we attended last weekend. The quality is fantastic!

For those just getting started with this thread, these graphics are sized and scaled for the 50cc version that Gerry is importing. Brad told me the retail price to the 50cc version from Bad Brad Graphics will be $64.00 (as per the .jpg shown below). If the end-user needs changes or deletions to the artwork, the pricing will be adjusted accordingly.

For those just getting into figuring out what they want to do with their 100cc versions, Brad doesn't have a size or price yet. Send him an OEM graphics set, or call him with dimensions, and he'll work up a price for you.

Brad can be reached at:

Brad Schulz
1558 Sylmar Road
Cedarburg, WI 53012
262-377-3944
www.badbradgraphics.com

Later...B.

Name:	Zx72003.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	1600550  
Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 PM
n8622t

Bad Brad is the man!!!

Jimmy
Old 04-30-2011, 07:21 PM
brusshorton

Here are pics of my build. I updated the vinyl decals with my own materials. I have a 24" US Cutter. Maiden tomorrow if weather holds.

Russ

Name:	ay74960.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1601753   Click image for larger version

Name:	fa86125.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1601754   Click image for larger version

Name:	hm25083.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1601755   Click image for larger version

Name:	vo37728.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1601756  
Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
n8622t

Brusshorton!! Beautiful, and next to the pool, OMG!! What are you trying to do to the rest of us Ok, since you are the first, you have to help the rest of us out so we dont have to work so hard. First off I see you have a DA50, could be a 60, I cant see the plug cap, perfect! Now where are the batteries to make the cg work or did you add any weight to balance? A pic of the interior would save you a lot of typing Good luck on the maiden and you must know that we are all gonna want a flight video

Nice job!!
Jimmy
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM
brusshorton

Here is video. This is not the maiden, but flight 3. I was using a 22x14 Xoar on the first flight, but it did not pull well at all. Went to a 23x8 on the second flight and it really came alive.

Today was VERY windy, with lots of gusting cross winds. Every other landing was fine, excepts this one. The plane weather vanes into the wind very strongly. I think it is the big landing hear acting like side force generators. Despite what you see here, it is very easy to land. It floats in and the forward mains helps it stick when it gets down.

My CG is behind the recommended range at 6 1/2 inches behind the LE. I had full smoke tanks on this flight. When full, the tanks push the CG into the 6-6.25 range. Does not seem to mind, and is not pitchy at all. Probably helps slow it down with the landing.

I did not use flaps at all. I am not sure I trust the flap horn mounts. The flaps are very soft balsa, and even with CA hardened points, they still feel flimsy. I may add plywood hard points in the future.

I have the Ignition battery (1500mah NiCad) and the smoke pump (Sullivan) mounted on top of the engine box. The flight and smoke battery is in front of the wing tube, and I still had to add 2 oz of weight to the firewall. Now that I have flown it, I may remove some of the nose weight.

Flies great. Tracking takes some getting used to. Have to use coordinated rudder in the turns. Want to KE if you don't. BTW it KE's great.

Enjoy.

Russ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmeLo9sKVSY
Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 PM
turboratt89

very nice looks good in the air
but how bad was the gear after that last landing looked a little week after or a broken gear mount ?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM
brusshorton

Gear was slightly bent, but not broken. I was thinking about adding the outboard flying wires. Looks like they could be tied into the solid block wing tips and would stabilize the gear immensely.

BTW, I am using a da50 with bisson Pitts muffler. Everything but the headers fit inside the cowl.

Russ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.