Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Mike Birch Models

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
jwmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mike Birch Models

Hi Stevie D.
I would like to express my interest on your sale of the Mike Birch International.
I Have already PM'd you on this.
I have posted a few times on various forums of my interest in this aircraft.
As a young man I saw Mike flying this plane at the British Nationals & fell in love with it.
Later I had the pleasure of working with Mike as an apprentice model maker at Master Models.
I now have my own business making models for the animation industry. www.jwmm.co.uk
I would love to build this model to Mikes high standard.
If, as discussed, some one would like to re kit this model. I would make all information available.
Please let me know if your kit is still for sale.
Many thanks.
Regards,
John. (jwmm)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
RFJ

Alan,

Good to see you on the thread and best of luck with the kit project. Would still like to see some colour shots of Mike's Moonglow as mentioned earlier. I hope my few short posts have brought Mike's models and acheivements to a wider audience, particularly in the USA where he may not be as well known to classic pattern fans as he is in the UK.

Ray
Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
furyguy

A big thank you , to you Steve , for the Capricorn International , was great meeting you today and seeing your Hangar , just to let you know , I have Emailed Mick Reeves this evening too regarding Copyright and any surviving moulds , but l shall make new ones anyway if none exist , will chat soon with you about foam wings if ok , thanks again .
Alan
Old 02-11-2010, 11:03 AM
furyguy

I seem to remember Mike being entered into the "Champions of Champions " event in Las Vegas years back so the Americans may well have heard of him .
Old 02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
furyguy

This is a pic of the front of the International kit box from Steve , as a point of interest , the Silver Capricorn in the picture Mike is holding is the one he left me and is now in my care ,
Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97555.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1376420  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oohhh yes, that's the animal...
Evan.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 AM
RFJ

I seem to remember Mike being entered into the "Champions of Champions " event in Las Vegas years back
Yes, Mike placed 21st at the very first "Tournament of Champions" in December 1974.

Great box top photo - must have helped shift a few kits.

Ray
Old 02-12-2010, 06:56 AM
furyguy

LOL ! Yes , that's the one ! Damn this dementure ! Circus , Circus huh ? JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ !!!!! 36 years ago !! where the hell has it gone ?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM
furyguy

Just been perusing another site only to find out two more old friends l lost touch with are now deceased , Chris Olsen and Stewart Uwins , like l said , where has the time gone ? so very sad , kinda makes you think huh ?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 AM
modtron

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guy's,

I knew Mike very well and flew with him on many occasions. I also managed to get a small Capricorn out of him for myself.

There was a limited plan produced by Mike for a wooden version before the GRP fuse's were made. There was much use of planking for the fuselage.
The only person I would expect to still have a copy would be Clive Weller, but I have not seen him for years.

Mike was a professional model maker, so the original pattern was not very difficult for him to produce.

His ultimate goal was always for a much bigger version with petrol flat twin up front. He even designed an auto starter system for the engine, similar to what is used on the Zenoah 80cc twin with a coil spring.

Not sure of where Pat, his wife is now, but I do know where to find his daughter if you need any permissions for kitting etc ?

If you ever get the model back into production, let me know as I'd love to have a memory of his time with us.

All the best,

Nigel Brackley
[email protected]
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 AM
furyguy

Hi Nigel ,

welcome to the Forum on Mike , if Nikki is still married to Andy l should be able to get in contact , have contacted Mick Reeves about Copyright before l kit but he hasn't responded yet ( no shock there ) l've been trying to get in touch with Pat but phone number has changed maybe , l will drop by her house when l pop down soon and check it out ,
Alan
Old 10-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has there been any progress on the re-kitting of this model?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 AM
RFJ

Had an e mail recently from Rusty Dose who, for some reason, is banned from posting on this forum. He has acquired a Capricorn kit and hopes to finish it in the silver and yellow color scheme shown on the kit box label (post #30) It will have MK retracts, a Kraft 61 and Kraft radio - quite appropriate really as Mike was briefly involved with Geoff Franklin in the import and servicing of Kraft engines and radios and used them at the end of his F3A career.

Great to know that an example of Mike's Capricorn will soon be flying in US skys and I am sure Rusty will do his usual fine building job.

Hope I don't get excommunicated for posting this [sm=omg_smile.gif]

Ray

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55492.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1566874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71450.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1566875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc40615.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1566876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq23138.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1566877  
Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 AM
furyguy

Just to let you know , l have some moulds being made buy a guy from here and l have someone to cut the foams so hopefully the kits should be available very soon .
Alan
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 AM
RFJ

That's good news Alan and I look forward to the kits release. Will it be the standard Capricorn or the big International.

I am sure Rusty would appreciate it if you could post some detail shots of Mike's silver version which I believe you have in your possession.

Ray
Old 02-20-2011, 05:03 AM
furyguy

It will be the International version , l'll do some pics of the capricorn l have and the moonglow when l get a moment , no worries .
Alan
Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Jamie C

Furyguy,

How goes it with the International/Capricorn? i am wanting to buy one maybe two kits and i am wondering what progress has been made with the kits?

Cheers

Would love to see pics of Mike's orginal one.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:51 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray - What was he using for power ? Don't look like much engine up front, his plane's had to be ultra-light.

Crank
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike would have used the most powerful .60 he could find, Enya maybe? Most of the pictures I have of the Capricorn flyers show that while mufflers were fitted, there are very few I can find with pipes. The models themselves are not big airplanes, and the weight would be average for the time, around 8 lb. Ray, any word on the kits at all?
Evan, WB #12.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 AM
RFJ

Mike flew the Capricorn International competitively from 1972 - 1977. For most of this time he used HP 61 engines. His final model used a Kraft 61 as he was briefly a UK Kraft agent. I don't believe Mike ever used a tuned pipe on any of his Capricorns.

any word on the kits at all
Haven't heard anything from furyguy about his progress with these.

Ray
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Jamie C

Anyone in the UK got one of these in there workshop/loft they dont want?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Agilefalcon
My Feedback: (5)

I live in the USA now, but flew an MR International for several years when I lived in England. Mine was powered by an OPS SPA RCA (super 60) with the adjustable OPS header and pipe. I truly loved that model and would enjoy getting another one to fly. Count me in if a kit becomes available.

If I get a chance I'll scan and post some pictures of it.

Chris Berardi
Fort Worth TX

1982-1988 Barton Mills, Suffolk, UK.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:03 PM
furyguy

Hi everyone ,
Here is an update on the international kits l was going to have made for you all , l sold the kit to a chap called Phil Davies who comes here , when l did he said he would make a mould from the original kit l had of mikes , ( my dearest of friends ) here was the original mail from Phil Davies ..............
To:[email protected]
Subject: Re: Capricorn
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:58:49 +0100

Cheers Alan,
No problem,
Templates are no problem.I'll save the foam pieces the cores were cut from and that'll give you the sections.
Fuselage will have to wait for cooler weather to take a mould.I've checked fuselage .Considering kit age the fuealage
is incredibly straight .No problem to take a reasonable mould I think .
Wing surfaces and tail plane will be epoxy glass covered .Hard work but a finish to die for.
I think a powerful .65 drinks like a fish when on song ,so I think the tank needs to be bigger than the kit one and there's certainly room.
My first Change I've decided .The flying surfaces can certainly stand the weight .
Servo's in the tail to balance the bigger capacity ( I've never liked long push rods ; much prefer servos in the tail ,and this gives
me room for the air reservoir in the rear of the fuselage for the retracts .
Going to make air retracts myself .Looking forward to making those .I've used air ones before and like to be able to regulate
the speed to sexy slow .I've a small milling machine and lathe ideal for task .
Thanks again .
Regular updates guaranteed with pictures .
I'm sure Mike would approve .
Phil

Notice the date of 27th June 2010 ?

l then sent this a few days ago .........................

Hi Phillip ,
Can you let me know what happened to the moulds etc you were going to make me as part of the deal for the kit as l now have lots of people chasing me on rcuniverse for the kit .
Alan
then l got this ...........................
Hello Alan ,
I haven,t started to build the kit yet.
Its on my project list.
However your e-mail concerns me in its wording .My offer to make a mould was not part of the monetary deal.Please see the timeline below in your e-mail .My offer after our deal is still good.But in my own time.Please do not say it was conditional cos it wasn't.
Regards
Phil

Sent from my iPad
l received this not long after that one .....................
Alan,
I realise now you,re not going to use the mould for yourself but are planning to sell kits from the mould I was going to give you as a friend to make your own kit .That,s not on .
To then say it was part of the deal is just not true.The e-mails below prove that.
I,m well miffed you might contemplate turning a profit from a gift and are now chasing for it.
I,m afraid you,ve lost my good will .
Good bye.

Sent from my iPad
this is the kind of scum that spoils it for everyone , why would l sell a kit if l wanted to build one for myself ????? he was all talk and yes l would have had to charge for the kits but that would have been at cost , well gentlmen there you are , this arsehole has now got my only kit and has renaged on a deal to furnish more for you chaps , l hope l never bump into him , l have a standard capricorn , the silver one in the pictures it'll take some time but l'll do my best from that , so thank you phil davies for being a greedy lowlife you have insulted my dear friend Mike Birch and you have annoyed me beyond belief , watch out for this idiot everyone , sorry it's gone **** up but that's what l get for believing this "mans" bull****
Alan
P.S. as far as the Regular updates go after he picked the kit up l never heard from him again until l sent that email !!!

waited two years to email him and he calls that chasing too !!! .......................I am unbeleivably angry , not a good thing , sorry folks
Old 06-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Jamie C

A sad story Alan and a loss to us all, i have been lucky enough to pick up an untouched kit of the International . . . . . could not believe my luck! and was amazed at the response i got when word got around that i had a kit.

I will get some pics up later, i am looking into copying the kit as i do not want to build the original. I have done this with the Crescent Bullet Mk2 (glass fuz) and also the Chevron 60 which is in progress at the moment.

Alan,

The silver Capricorn is depicted on the box, do you have any pics of the original as it is now?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
furyguy

yes the actual one on the box lid that mike is holding , it's still the same minus all hardware
Alan
good luck with the copy and don't make the mistake l made , still accidents happen to kits if someone accidently falls on it at a strip wink wink
Alan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.