Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 02:06 PM
jwalk2c
My Feedback: (47)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One American News

Originally Posted by acdii
Try OAN, One American News. No opinions, even Fox is opinionated, just plain up facts that they can back up. I'm so tired of opinionated articles, with no facts to back them up, or skewed facts, or taken out of context, that I do my own research. Did they really do that, or was something else involved?

Dave of the David, I had the same thing happen, Wrong arm, thankfully discovered it while doing hinge check and felt it pop. Grabbed the wrong arm. I also have JR, Futaba and Hitec and easy to grab the wrong arm.
Thank you, I did not know this news source.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalk2c
Thank you, I did not know this news source.
Another source of news? There is so many "news" sources flying around today none can be truly trusted. Even enemies of the U.S. have news sources. PLEASE NO MORE! especially here!

Old 05-26-2020, 11:18 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, for the record, and last I will say about it before we get into a scurfufull, <how ever you want to call it, The only part of OAN I watch are the reports, just up front reporting on matters. I don't watch any opinion shows or anything like that, AND I also do my own research, trust but verify. Yesterday CNN reported that Brian May almost died from his heart attack making it appear that he almost didn't get the health care he needed, but Brian put up a YT video explaining every detail of what occurred to him and how he came about his heart attack. It was as if two different people were being reported on. He had some stents put in for three blocked arteries, but CNN presented it as if he had died and had to be resuscitated, which wasn't what happened. So like I said, beware of what you watch, and trust but verify. IMO CNN is the least trustworthy news source, AlJezeerah has more reliable news.

And on other news, My Chipmunk is coming along nicely. I built it about 4-5 years ago, flew it twice, both times dead stick, the second dead stick was on a windy day that caused the plane to stall on every final, drop a wing and roll away. I belly flopped it in the corn and cracked the fuse. It was my first attempt and a cheap covering job with fabric store dress lining and Rustoluem paint. It looked good, but was heavy and the paint wrinkled where I tried to patch it, the Nitrate I use to attach the fabric melted and destroyed the paint it came into contact with. So I stripped it and recovering with HK film. I pulled off over a pound of covering. I replaced the Magnum 91, which is not even broken in, reason for the dead sticks, and put the FA-100 I just put new bearings in, and saved another ounce or so. Still working on the wing. I found the LE was broken from the bad landing, as well as one elevator, so good thing I did a strip and recover. I still have three wing surfaces to sand smooth, cut the ailerons off, and then can recover it. Other than stickers, the fuse covering is done, just needs a new RX installed and center the servos and controls. Undecided yet if I want to make another cowl, or repair and reuse the existing one. I have a mold I made from the kit cowl.

Before

Now

Old 05-26-2020, 11:50 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some dude told me back in 1993 that the world was going to end soon and I asked him what he source was and he said CNN! I don't watch any new shows anymore its just so down these days. But I am building again after a hiatus and maybe I will finally get to fly this next weekend!
Michael Johnston
Old 05-26-2020, 12:03 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

That is going to be one gorgeous Chipmunk when you are done!
Old 05-26-2020, 12:10 PM
acdii

That wasn't the same dude who said NYC and Florida would be under 3 feet of water by 2020, was it? LOL OH NO the sky is falling, so live life to the fullest each and every day, for tomorrow is never known. I'm hoping to get back to the field by this weekend. Sunday would have been a great day to fly too, calm winds, warm temps, but I was too busy taking the winter wheels off my truck and getting some long needed maintenance done. Friday, Sat and Sun are looking at 70* with 5-10 MPH winds. Good flying weather for this sweats in a blizzard Ahole. Three planes ready to maiden, 4 planes ready to fly, plenty of planes to keep me busy. If all goes well I will get my P-51 back in the air and enjoy it.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
That is going to be one gorgeous Chipmunk when you are done!

Thanks! That is what I am hoping for, though I screwed up the measurement on the rudder, but didn't notice until after I put glue in the holes for the hinges. I may just cut thin strips and make them even. That HK covering is some really easy to work with stuff, and it blends really nice at the seams.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM
FlyerInOKC

If you hadn't said it we probably would have never noticed!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 PM
acdii

Well, I am one to point out my F ups, because I am not perfect and never intend to be, just doing the best that I can.

Right now my ambition meter got pegged and I am designing a tool rack to cut out from 1/4 plywood on the laser. It will hold my metric drivers, two razor saws, 2 mini screw drivers, 10 files, 5 pens, 3 knives, 5 picks, 6 bottles of epoxy, one canopy glue, and 6 CA of 1, 2 and 4 ounces. Almost done, just laying out the openings for the tools and getting everything aligned. That should help keep at least some of my stuff better organized.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:44 PM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like a great idea!
Old 05-27-2020, 12:14 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

The Chief Flying Instructor at my club is a man called Roger Aubard who has competed in the French National Championships with both aerobatic aircraft and gliders. He once finished tenth in the glider championship. Like 85% of French r/c pilots he flies Mode 1. He uses Futaba equipment exclusively and our club trainer is also guided by a Futaba radio.

There is a high proportion of novice pilots in our club and to take the strain off Roger, once beginners have reached a degree of competence, I offer flight experience on either an ARTF i/c trainer or a "We Can Fly" foamie electric trainer.

Primary 40 ARTF Trainer. Irvine 40 up.

We Can Fly. In flight one autumn Sunday afternoon 2019.

I use Spektrum equipment and I'm a Mode 2 pilot but I have the use of a Spektrum DX5e Mode 1 transmitter so that I can teach Mode 1 trainees. Between the two of us we are teaching a fifty-something Frenchman called Eric Ceyrat who has his own We Can Fly and a Spektrum radio.

Last Sunday was quite breezy but Eric had brought his model with him and had had a flight with Roger on club's i/c trainer and buddy box. He then had two flights with me on my We Can Fly. He is still very unsteady but he has reached the stage where I usually only have to take back control once or twice in a five minute training flight. He has not learned to take off or land yet.

He expressed an interest flying his model which he had already assembled. For me to fly it with him would have meant me binding my transmitter to his receiver so he asked Roger fly with him, old style, with only one transmitter between them. Roger took off and handed him the transmitter. Eric managed quite well most of the time then the model would suddenly plummet towards the ground requiring Roger to regain control and hand the transmitter back to Eric. This happened twice. I heard Eric say, "Il y a du vent!" ("Its windy.")

After the third incident Roger took hold of the transmitter and set up the model at a good altitude flying straight and level into wind. Then he put the transmitter on the ground. The model continued to fly steadily onwards for several seconds.

Then he said, "C'est toi qui fait ca!" (" It's you who are doing that!")

Spectators fell about laughing! Name:  teeth_smile.gif
Views: 452
Size:  1.2 KB

PS. Eric has nicknamed me "Aile Plat," literally "Flat Wing" from the verbal instructions I give to French trainees after they've completed a turn. Perhaps "Level your wings." would be a better English translation.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-27-2020 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:51 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi David;

I fly Mode 1 also, so would probably feel 'at home' flying with the French group; tried flying just once with Mode 2 and the result was a smashed up nose on a bad landing, decided then and there that I had better not mix modes.

Joe in Arizona.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Its hard enough flying in just one mode I think Joe is right better not to mix them. Hats off to you David for being able to pull it off!

David, are you familiar with the Brian Downham's Sopwith Baby? I think it won the Scottish Nats back in the early 80s.

Mike
Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Its hard enough flying in just one mode I think Joe is right better not to mix them. Hats off to you David for being able to pull it off!

David, are you familiar with the Brian Downham's Sopwith Baby? I think it won the Scottish Nats back in the early 80s.

Mike

That's not quite right Mike.

I have the use of a Mode 1 Spektrum DX5e transmitter which I use as a slave transmitter. When buddied up to my Mode 2 Spektrum DX9 transmitter I can teach a Mode 1 beginner, who already has some experience. I also own a Spektrum DX6i transmitter which is Mode 2 which I use as a slave for Mode 2 beginners.

It's a good job that I had the DX6i transmitter last year. The DX9 "had issues," so I sent it away for repair and competed in La Coupe Des Barons with the DX6i. Photographic evidence below. Note the two guys in the orange tee shirts admiring my female mechanic!

Walking up to the starter boxes with my Spektrum DX6i transmitter, Coupe Des Barons 2019. Miss Blue Eyes is obscured behind me carrying Bertie, my RAF Baron. The club treasurer, Gerard van der Moulin carries my flightbox.

Mr Downham's plan is available from Sarik Hobbies fro £17.50 which is $21.42 US plus postage and packing. Must close, a pork chop and a 2018 Cotes du Rhone are waiting for me. https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product...-sopwith-baby/

Old 05-27-2020, 09:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have come into possession of an uncompleted project of this aircraft and was looking for information on it. The previous owner had left the hobby and has since returned but only with small electrics. The project was dormant for 10 years and he was looking to find someone wishing to finish it up and wanted very little for it. I need another project like a hole in the head but a float plane I can take off and land off land intrigued me. It didn't take much to persuade me, I'm suck a sucker for unusual airplanes.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:46 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Mike, I wish you all the best in moving the Sopwith Baby on or competing the project. Perhaps the following might help.

PS. The pork and Cotes du Rhone were excellent.

PPS, Perhaps you may find this useful. Must close, Miss Blue Eyes expects a Facebook/Messenger contact at 21.00 Central European time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_Baby
Old 05-27-2020, 11:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

I read that very interesting. Sopwith really had something there. An airplane designed pre-WWI and it remains in service thru threw the whole war and the next decade is impressive.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:54 AM
Gooosberry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow KittyKraft - that is a mind jogger!
Old 05-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

You guys may be interested in this film about making aircraft in the USA in 1918. It's a silent film with a musical soundtrack superimposed. I didn't care for the music myself so muted it! Most of it deals with the construction of the Liberty engined De Havilland 4 but later on some other types are flimed. It shows just how much labour went into the building of those old aeroplanes.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

They had a nice bio of Thomas Sopwith who founded the Sopwith AviatnCompany

And a video of building B-24s at Willow Run

And one on building B-29 engines.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:08 AM
acdii

If you go to the Rat FB page, I posted a lot of B-17 videos that will waste a good day of your time.

Thats the link in my sig if you were wondering
Old 05-29-2020, 12:51 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I don't know why I was surprised to see so many women working on the Liberty Engines, after all so many men were in the army but it reminded me of what I was told years ago about the Ducati motor cycle company. Apparently the engines of their works racing bikes were assembled exclusively by women. The company found that women we more careful than men when assembling engines. They also employed a lot of women on the road bike production line.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:26 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yesterday was mowing day. Figured I would also finish cut the runway if it had not grown too much. So I was mowing along the road swale. When suddenly I rolled over some grass that was hiding a patch of mud. I came to a quick stop with wheels just spinning. Like the wheel spinning mud scene in the movie My Cousin Vinny.

I shut down as I didn’t want to sink my mower any more. Rather than use my truck, I decided to use my Honda ATV with a long chain. Not sure if it had the power but was going to try it. This is a Zero Turn Mower so I had to kick the front wheels to the angle needed. Revving the Honda engine to high speed I managed to pull the mower a few feet to dry ground. Emergency over, I parked the equipment and called it a day.

Today, I cleaned and hosed down the mower and the mud from the tires. I checked the runway and found it was better to cut with the tractor again. It is starting to look really good. Still needs a finish cut.

I then worked on my starting bench. When I built it, the gaps between the boards were pretty close. Having been out in the weather the gaps got bigger as the wood shrunk some. I decided to cover the front part of the bench with a piece of coroplast I had in the shed. Now I can do work, if needed, and parts will not fall through the gaps maybe never to be seen again. Next week will be a very good week weather wise. I have to do the annual inspection on my SPAD airplane.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:45 PM
FlyerInOKC

Looks good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.