shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-21-2020, 02:44 PM
shannah

Hi Everyone,
I have been running the new BJ Craft motor in the XDrive and have been very impressed with it. I received this motor in January and have been flying it ever since. As you can see from the pics I am attaching it is very different than the original BJ Force motor. I am also including pics next to the Kontronik 650-53 for comparison.

The original motor was smaller and lighter but ran very hot. The new motor is quite different and runs very cool. This motor has a wide operating range and can work across timing from 5dgr to 25dgr. Recommended is 15dgr. A setting of 15dgr timing results in 560KV, 10dgr is 550KV and 20dgr is 570KV. I use 15dgr.

I limit my throttle to 70% max and have more than enough power. I typically consume 3800-4000mah per P sequence and very similar for F. If it is really windy and I have to fly bigger and faster then the power consumption increases obviously. I run the 5800mah 35C RoaringTop batteries.

I have had zero issues with this unit and have been really impressed by its smooth operation and quiet flight. There is no maintenance required at all. The belts still look great and have no real signs of wear. It is a great power unit and I think it is a great match for the Eternity Bipe.

The motor has an outer diameter of 67mm. If you scroll back a few posts you'll see a pic of the original drive unit on the scale with a weight of 655g. That same config is now 710g. A bit heavier but much more robust and better performance.

Here are some pics.

New BJ Craft drive on the left, Kontronik 650-53 on the right

New motor, Kontonik, and original motor

Old 03-25-2020, 04:59 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It looks like this drive is still in development?
Any estimates on when it will be available for purchase?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:03 AM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

About 220 grams heavier than the Contra V4 drive.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:09 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by big_G
About 220 grams heavier than the Contra V4 drive.
The Akiba belt drive Contra is a bit heavier than the X Drive if I recall.
The V4 is a really nice bit of engineering work, my hat is off to them. I’m not sure you could reduce the weight much further without resorting to materials changes
Old 05-10-2020, 08:02 AM
myckey
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shannah
Hi Everyone,
I have been running the new BJ Craft motor in the XDrive and have been very impressed with it. I received this motor in January and have been flying it ever since.
Hi Steve,

great information as usual, can I ask you if you can tell me if the new BJ motor is a simple replacement fit for the original or does the drive itself need modification/replacement parts?

Thanks

Myckey
Old 05-10-2020, 10:18 AM
ltc

I don’t believe these are on sale yet here in the USA. The only ones I’ve seen for sale were Bondaero in the U.K. and Morris Hobby in Japan, but I’m not sure which version those are.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:53 AM
myckey
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
I don’t believe these are on sale yet here in the USA. The only ones I’ve seen for sale were Bondaero in the U.K. and Morris Hobby in Japan, but I’m not sure which version those are.
They were the earlier version which is what I have, asking just in case I do in fact burn out the motor although mine doesn't seem to run all that hot, though that might possibly be due to great cooling.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:12 PM
shannah

The new motor continues to run extremely well. It stays very cool and the power is great. The combination is very quiet as well. B.J. Has done a very nice job on this drive.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:57 PM
ltc

I’m curious for the websites that currently offer this drive for sale, which version will you get if you buy one?
Is there a name or version number? How do you tell them apart or describe the differences ?
Is there a motor upgrade kit for the early units?
Old 05-29-2020, 01:06 AM
UKpatternflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that Bondaero in the UK do supply the BJ Craft X drive. As you know a motor replacement is available from BJ following a re-design. Bondaero will change any X drive motor originally purchased from them to the new motor free of charge. Any X Drives purchased from Bondaero going forward will now be fitted with the new motor.

Best wishes

Keith, Chris & Adrian

Bondaero.co.uk
Old 12-01-2023, 05:08 PM
shannah

Hi Everyone,
It's been a while since I updated this thread. The X-Drive has continued to run strong and has required no maintenance. I have been flying this same drive since my last post in March 2020. Those of you who have seen me flying it out here in NSRCA District 7 have seen its quiet and powerful performance. The unit is very durable and does weigh more than other solutions. But the metal gearing and multiple ball bearing supports are worth it in performance and reliability. Now that the weight limit has been increased to 5500g there should be no issues, even with planes on the heavier end of the scale.

I just received my second unit. It will go into my next airplane. I wanted to let everyone know that BJ has a limited quantity for sale. If you are interested in finding out more then shoot me a PM and I can help you get in touch with BJ Park.

Thanks
Steve​​​​​​​