Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Old 04-05-2020, 07:17 AM
  #45826  
Captcrunch44
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: dysart, IA
Posts: 1,567
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek View Post
Yep, you can't defy physics. In this case the Bernoulli effect.

Design for cylinder charging and expelling effeciencies is so complicated that computer programs are used to design today's engines. The smallest change to one of the dozens of variables can have a dramatic effect on desired performance. Won't keep me from trying though.

Even though the Saito engineers have developed a line a very strong engines they had to make some compromises to keep costs down. Namely the machining, or lack thereof, in the inlet and outlet ports. I believe that with a little careful smoothing of the short turn radii significant effeciency gains can be realized. My fa82 pig is a good candidate for such an endeaver.

For all you naysayers out there, yes I could simply move up to the next size engine but where's the fun in that? It's obvious to me at least that the fa82 has issues, it's just a matter of finding and solving them. The higher flow exhaust helped, the compression increase helped too. The larger carb didn't help and therefore I doubt seriously that a larger intake tube would either. All things point to flow effeciency problems. Dremel time!
Hmmm
Well
Old 04-05-2020, 07:38 AM
  #45827  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 8,835
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
what engine ?? guys, tell me !

what V6 car engine has 4 over head Cams, and has only 1 "one" Exhaust Manifold Port pre Head ??

I know, do you ?

EDIT, no cheating LOL don't be looking it up on the Net LOL
Jim

Don't know if it is the same one, but I do know from looking at the 2.7 when I bought my truck, that the drivers side has one port in the back of the head, so my guess is that is the passenger side head for the 2.7. I remember reading somewhere about all the engineering that went into the 2.7 as it was designed from the ground up to be turbocharged, where the 3.5 is based on an existing 3.5 NA engine design, but the block was modified for the turbo cooling and oiling. The 3.5 uses a compact manifold design, but the heads are still standard one port per cylinder. From what owners of the 2.7 say it is one powerful fast little engine, and well suited for the F150.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:14 AM
  #45828  
Jesse Open
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Just North of Canadian border
Posts: 1,990
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lonnie

Lonnie,
I sent you a PM about the 65
Old 04-05-2020, 11:07 AM
  #45829  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,612
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

I fired one back atcha.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:39 PM
  #45830  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,212
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Don't know if it is the same one, but I do know from looking at the 2.7 when I bought my truck, that the drivers side has one port in the back of the head, so my guess is that is the passenger side head for the 2.7. I remember reading somewhere about all the engineering that went into the 2.7 as it was designed from the ground up to be turbocharged, where the 3.5 is based on an existing 3.5 NA engine design, but the block was modified for the turbo cooling and oiling. The 3.5 uses a compact manifold design, but the heads are still standard one port per cylinder. From what owners of the 2.7 say it is one powerful fast little engine, and well suited for the F150.

the head in the photo above is for the Camaro SS V6,, here is another photo below, of the V8, I find it very surprising Chevy is producing a V6 with 4 over head cams. did Ferrari buy GM LOL

looks like there's room to open-up the exhaust port
Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-05-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:04 PM
  #45831  
Jesse Open
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Just North of Canadian border
Posts: 1,990
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek View Post
I fired one back atcha.

Replied , if it went thru,
Old 04-05-2020, 01:04 PM
  #45832  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,212
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glowgeek View Post
Yep, you can't defy physics. In this case the Bernoulli effect.

Design for cylinder charging and expelling effeciencies is so complicated that computer programs are used to design today's engines. The smallest change to one of the dozens of variables can have a dramatic effect on desired performance. Won't keep me from trying though.

Even though the Saito engineers have developed a line a very strong engines they had to make some compromises to keep costs down. Namely the machining, or lack thereof, in the inlet and outlet ports. I believe that with a little careful smoothing of the short turn radii significant effeciency gains can be realized. My fa82 pig is a good candidate for such an endeaver.

For all you naysayers out there, yes I could simply move up to the next size engine but where's the fun in that? It's obvious to me at least that the fa82 has issues, it's just a matter of finding and solving them. The higher flow exhaust helped, the compression increase helped too. The larger carb didn't help and therefore I doubt seriously that a larger intake tube would either. All things point to flow effeciency problems. Dremel time!
Lonnie, the FA 115 has the same size Header tube threads as the 91, that poor 115, but that 115 is one engine I wont mess with.

you have to be careful of when measuring the Saitos intake manifold's OD, because the 4 I have measured were not perfectly round, because of the bend that was put in them

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-05-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:05 PM
  #45833  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 11,256
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
the head in the photo above is for the Camaro SS V6,, here is another photo below, of the V8, I find it very surprising Chevy is producing a V6 with 4 over head cams. did Ferrari buy GM LOL

looks like there's room to open-up the exhaust port
Jim
How could you for get the infamous Quad 4 engines it rates right up there with the unforgettable Cadillac V8-6-4?
Old 04-05-2020, 02:29 PM
  #45834  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 8,835
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
the head in the photo above is for the Camaro SS V6,, here is another photo below, of the V8, I find it very surprising Chevy is producing a V6 with 4 over head cams. did Ferrari buy GM LOL

looks like there's room to open-up the exhaust port
Jim

Hmm GM is finally coming into the 21st century with a DOHC V engine, majority of their engines are all pushrods, and you can't do 4 valves per cylinder with pushrods. GM needs to step up their engines, because aside from the Ram Cummins, no other manufacturer can compete with the Ford powerplants. When Ram touted 1000 TQ, Ford engineers said, hold my beer. 1050TQ. I watched some dyno runs, that new powerstroke is one powerful Diesel. They were pulling near 1000 TQ on a stock engine, at the wheels.

So is GM going to turbocharge that V6? Would make sense to make a cast in manifold if they are, if not, pretty much locks the engine in for mods and power increases.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:43 PM
  #45835  
Jesse Open
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Just North of Canadian border
Posts: 1,990
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Hmmmm again

My wife's 2001 vintage GM car has a DOHC 4.0 L V-8 Runs perfectly to this day.



Old 04-05-2020, 03:42 PM
  #45836  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,612
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
Lonnie, the FA 115 has the same size Header tube threads as the 91, that poor 115, but that 115 is one engine I wont mess with.

you have to be careful of when measuring the Saitos intake manifold's OD, because the 4 I have measured were not perfectly round, because of the bend that was put in them

Jim
My 115 is one baaaaad mammajamma! Spins an apc 15x8 at the same peak rpm as my fg21 and transition from idle is wicked fast. It's going in my nib PM.46-.55 Strega.

I PM'd you about the 100 carb.

PM'd you too Gary.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:56 PM
  #45837  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,212
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Hmm GM is finally coming into the 21st century with a DOHC V engine, majority of their engines are all pushrods, and you can't do 4 valves per cylinder with pushrods. GM needs to step up their engines, because aside from the Ram Cummins, no other manufacturer can compete with the Ford powerplants. When Ram touted 1000 TQ, Ford engineers said, hold my beer. 1050TQ. I watched some dyno runs, that new powerstroke is one powerful Diesel. They were pulling near 1000 TQ on a stock engine, at the wheels.

So is GM going to turbocharge that V6? Would make sense to make a cast in manifold if they are, if not, pretty much locks the engine in for mods and power increases.

I'm betting Chevy will put one of those small blowers on the V6 like the ones on the 427 Vet/Camaro, those small blowers putout almost as much air as a 6-71.

Jim
Old 04-05-2020, 06:07 PM
  #45838  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,612
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Jim, check your PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:40 AM
  #45839  
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (101)
 
Hobbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Colonial Beach, VA
Posts: 19,880
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Keeping the exhaust as hot as is possible for Turbo Charging is a great benefit, bolting the Turbo directly to the head makes perfect sense.


Last edited by Hobbsy; 04-06-2020 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Alter content to make more sense.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:02 AM
  #45840  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 11,256
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Hey Gary Pete says to pass this along:

i like gary's choice of a brough superior ss 100 like t e lawrence/lawrence of arabia rode, that guy had huge balls. During ww2 he'd ride long distances at the weekend on very average roads while averaging 80mph or more which was eventually his undoing. He was riding down a narrow english country lane bordered by thick hedges when a young boy on a bicycle came out of a gap in the hedge. He swerved to miss him and was killed instantly.

I don't remember if I mentioned it my youngest son the Paramedic came down sick last week and his partner on the ambulance was hosipitalized both are suspected to have the COVID-19. Test are so far backed up they he won't get the test results until late this week. He is recovering nicely and hios partner was release yesterday and is recovering it at home. Alast there was one small casualty that has really pissed him off!



Before

After

The reason


Old 04-06-2020, 06:40 PM
  #45841  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,212
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Pete ! where's his beer ??
tell him we are pulling for him !!

Jim
Old 04-06-2020, 07:16 PM
  #45842  
acdii
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Capron, IL
Posts: 8,835
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default


Old 04-07-2020, 05:07 AM
  #45843  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 11,256
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

I'm surprise no one commented on the "Osiyo" on my son Scott's shirt? No word on his COVID-19 test results yet. My lung problems are kicking up to the point I need to call the doctor today. I'm a little scared about going in to the office, Not because I think I might the virus (it feels like the usual lung iritation in the upper lobes) but I might get exposed going to the clinic.

Pete tells me since they started having senior citizen shopping hours at the local stores it has solved his beer problem. He said: "Yes although i have a 2011 hyundai iload van and they usually use the forklift to load the pallet in the back." I'm not sure if he is kidding, knowing Pete I think he isn't! :0 Pete's daughter is a nurse who is like 8 months pregnant he is worried about here and the baby with the virus running around. She has started her maternity leave to go into quarantine.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:14 PM
  #45844  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,212
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Pete, I believe all things in the universe are connected. that comes from the Native American in me. about 1/3 percent. something tells me you are going to have a new grandson. when he get's old enough he will be picking on you, yes he will be just like you

I saw that "Osiyo" thing, but I knew nothing about it.

Jim

Old 04-07-2020, 12:25 PM
  #45845  
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)
 
FlyerInOKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 11,256
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
Pete, I believe all things in the universe are connected. that comes from the Native American in me. about 1/3 percent. something tells me you are going to have a new grandson. when he get's old enough he will be picking on you, yes he will be just like you

I saw that "Osiyo" thing, but I knew nothing about it.

Jim
It means Cherokee in the Cherokee language.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:33 PM
  #45846  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,212
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
It means Cherokee in the Cherokee language.

yes, I copied and pasted it in Google Images, I think it's a restaurant among other things

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-07-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:41 AM
  #45847  
Hyjinx
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by the Wasp View Post
yes, I copied and pasted it in Google Images, I think it's a restaurant among other things

Jim
Lol
I thought it meant " new mutton chops".
Couple maidens to get a laugh out of at our field recently.
Socially distant of course.

​​​​​​
hope the links work
Enjoy a dirversion from the difficulty of the times.
Remember all in prayer.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:53 PM
  #45848  
Glowgeek
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,612
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Nice planes and great running engines, just what the Doctor ordered. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:33 PM
  #45849  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,212
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

I like how this guy flies.

Jim


Last edited by the Wasp; 04-08-2020 at 08:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rowdog_14 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 PM
  #45850  
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 4,212
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

well RCU is not letting me post 2 or more videos in one post. well, if I do post 2 videos both links play the same video,. this is the 2nd time this happened.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
rowdog_14 (04-09-2020)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.