Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Any of the Old School buggy guys still around?

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Any of the Old School buggy guys still around?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 11:17 AM
sh0wtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Any of the Old School buggy guys still around?

Hi guys.
been away a while.
are there any of the RCU oldschool crew still around?

be great to chat again & see where we're all at with our racing etc
Old 03-08-2020, 07:01 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

what does old school mean to you? 20+ years nitro only?
Old 03-19-2020, 08:56 AM
sh0wtime

Originally Posted by bill_delong
what does old school mean to you? 20+ years nitro only?

Hi Bill
Oldschool in this instance was referencing the guys who all used to be on here back around 2005 or so. when it was real busy
The following users liked this post:
bill_delong (03-19-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 08:40 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

Ive been away for a long time, very busy with other stuff. Just logged back in after 5yrs
sh0wtime (06-06-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 05:45 AM
xplayer930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sh0wtime
Hi Bill
Oldschool in this instance was referencing the guys who all used to be on here back around 2005 or so. when it was real busy
hahaha!!!! Old school is 1994...My first car was the Inferno DX...at age 8..Been in an out of the hobby for last 15 years (mostly out) ...Looking to get an associated nitro 1/8th scale...But must be honest...The hobby as a whole is dead. There are no LHS anymore. The last one i visited pre-COVID gave me an attitude that everything is electric now, nobody runs nitro. The advancements in this hobby are so far behind its ridiculous, radio technology is joke....The materials these cars are made out of could really benefit from carbon fiber...$2000 for a good buggy an I'm not impressed....
Old 08-27-2020, 06:30 AM
bill_delong

Originally Posted by xplayer930
hahaha!!!! Old school is 1994...My first car was the Inferno DX...at age 8..Been in an out of the hobby for last 15 years (mostly out) ...Looking to get an associated nitro 1/8th scale...But must be honest...The hobby as a whole is dead. There are no LHS anymore. The last one i visited pre-COVID gave me an attitude that everything is electric now, nobody runs nitro. The advancements in this hobby are so far behind its ridiculous, radio technology is joke....The materials these cars are made out of could really benefit from carbon fiber...$2000 for a good buggy an I'm not impressed....
I first got into r/c around 1986 as a basher, took a break from 1992-1995 then got into flying .40 size planes and took a break from that in 2000 when my kids were born, when my son turned 10 we got into club racing around 2010. My son quit racing when he discovered girls and I've been hooked on racing since.

I've seen the industry make drastic changes over the years, so to say we are behind is absurd to me, what specifically is behind in your mind?
Radio technology is truly amazing to what was available when I first started, what exactly is missing? Here's a current look at what's out there today:
Which surface radio system is the best?

If you are only making your judgement from a single trip to your LHS and limiting your options to what they had available at the time, then I can understand your disappointment. Also curious which kit is selling for $2K? Most kits I see are in the $500 range and in order to hit the $2K mark for total investment for a true race grade platform, you'd have to limit yourself to over priced luxury brands from local distributors. I spend closer to $1K per car that I race and that's still with very reliable and high performance gear which keeps me fairly competitive.

Not trying to argue with you but will be happy to share some of my experience to help you get a different perspective.
JROD92 (09-15-2022)
Old 08-27-2020, 06:58 AM
xplayer930

I first got into r/c around 1986 as a basher, took a break from 1992-1995 then got into flying .40 size planes and took a break from that in 2000 when my kids were born, when my son turned 10 we got into club racing around 2010. My son quit racing when he discovered girls and I've been hooked on racing since.

I've seen the industry make drastic changes over the years, so to say we are behind is absurd to me, what specifically is behind in your mind?
Radio technology is truly amazing to what was available when I first started, what exactly is missing? Here's a current look at what's out there today:
Which surface radio system is the best?

If you are only making your judgement from a single trip to your LHS and limiting your options to what they had available at the time, then I can understand your disappointment. Also curious which kit is selling for $2K? Most kits I see are in the $500 range and in order to hit the $2K mark for total investment for a true race grade platform, you'd have to limit yourself to over priced luxury brands from local distributors. I spend closer to $1K per car that I race and that's still with very reliable and high performance gear which keeps me fairly competitive.

Not trying to argue with you but will be happy to share some of my experience to help you get a different perspective.
I agree.....This hobby has gone through some drastic changes. Same I started out in planes, and progressed. but other things have gotten in way over the years...Work/life/traveling.
The RC8 kit is 650, OS speed .21 with pipe is 600, servo's 300, starter box 100, transmitter/lipo 400......Will see once winter hits if I make a purchase. I don't for see myself purchasing multiple cars so much rather have one really good one.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:28 AM
bill_delong

Nitro is insanely expensive, not only for the initial price to get into the class, but extra cost for fuel and added tire wear due to longer mains make it extremely cost prohibitive for me to run nitro.

Technology has advanced so much in electrics that they have finally started to out perform nitro with faster lap times and prove to be more economical with shorter mains offering far less expense on replacing batteries/tires, etc...

TEKNO has been the hot car to get in our area lately, they offer a 50% lifetime warranty making them the least expensive brand to maintain and also an extremely competitive platform, also worth noting they are currently being represented as the #1 fastest brand in the world right now:
https://www.top25rc.com/nitro-buggy

If you are prior military then TEKNO offers a discount where I can get a kit for $485, and decent electronics for the following prices:
Servo - $50
Charger - $100
Radio - $200
4S LiPo -$50 4S LiPo -$50
Motor - $65
ESC - $110

Total - $1K + incidentals (not including wheels because that is a consumable)

A savvy buyer will buy a gently used car from a racer who properly maintained it for roughly half the price
Old 08-27-2020, 08:44 AM
xplayer930

Nitro is insanely expensive, not only for the initial price to get into the class, but extra cost for fuel and added tire wear due to longer mains make it extremely cost prohibitive for me to run nitro.

Technology has advanced so much in electrics that they have finally started to out perform nitro with faster lap times and prove to be more economical with shorter mains offering far less expense on replacing batteries/tires, etc...

TEKNO has been the hot car to get in our area lately, they offer a 50% lifetime warranty making them the least expensive brand to maintain and also an extremely competitive platform, also worth noting they are currently being represented as the #1 fastest brand in the world right now:
https://www.top25rc.com/nitro-buggy

If you are prior military then TEKNO offers a discount where I can get a kit for $485, and decent electronics for the following prices:
Servo - $50
Charger - $100
Radio - $200
4S LiPo -$50
Motor - $65
ESC - $110

Total - $1K + incidentals (not including wheels because that is a consumable)

A savvy buyer will buy a gently used car from a racer who properly maintained it for roughly half the price
Yep, I know of the cost to get into nitro. Electric’s are impressively fast, but nitro is just fun. I’m not military so I wouldn’t qualify for a discount.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:03 AM
bill_delong

There are many discriminating racers in my area who have deep pockets, these guys will replace their nitro engines every 3 months to stay competitive... my biggest peeve is marshaling for the guys running on a tight budget who haven't replaced their motor in a while and they have to stay on the throttle so they don't flame out, then they get pissed because I refuse to marshal their car until they hit the brake. All I have to say is that if you're gonna run nitro, then it's your responsibility to take proper care of your equipment, don't blame the marshal because you wrecked and don't blame the marshal if you can't properly tune your engine not to flame out when you hit the brake. If I bend over to flip your car and you hit the throttle to blow dirt in my eyes, then don't get upset when I use my feet to kick your car over in the future because you can't be trusted.

To all the nitro drivers who take proper care of their equipment and hit the brake when their car is being marshaled, thank you!
Old 08-27-2020, 12:02 PM
xplayer930

I’m not looking to race. Just buzz around the yard and burn a tank or two after dinner.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:50 PM
bill_delong

If you're not going to be competitively racing, then I would simply buy this basher here, great way to get into nitro on a tight budget and have something decent:

https://www.nitrorcx.com/ma1014-madb...lue-24ghz.html
Old 09-09-2020, 11:54 AM
pete2222

I've just logged back in here after 11 years. I have three Nitro buggies 1/8th scale (Lightning2, XRAY XB8 and an X1CR). Just wondering if I should get them up and running again or sell them? What's happened, are people still bashing/racing these? I have the impression they are a lot less popular now. Or is there another forum with all the 1/8th nitro buggy threads?

Hong Nor X1CR
Old 09-09-2020, 12:02 PM
bill_delong

Hong Nor retired a couple years ago, parts are very difficult to find for them, not sure how much value they will retain.

Generally it's best to sell a vehicle as soon as you are planning to take a break from the hobby because they get out dated fairly quick and you'll get more money for a car that still has parts support.

Of all the current race grade brands, the only brand that I know which still supports their legacy platforms is TEKNO.

1/8 Nitro is still fairly popular, but many clubs up north only race 1/8 in the summer, and then they focus on 1/10 indoor in the winter. I am fortunate to race at a club which hosts both 1/10 and 1/8 covered tracks year round

https://www.thornhillrc.com/

Old 09-14-2020, 07:43 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, Hong Nor is still out there but there is one one store that might have parts check www.nitrohouse.com. they show some jammin parts and others on their website. I used to buy from him exclusive but when Ofna bit the dust around 2012 there is not much left. There are a couple of sellers on Ebay that might have what you need and you are going to pay out thru the nose for these parts. I have my Team Durnago DNX with an OS 21xzb verii just wishing to be started and for now its a shelf queen.
good Luck
Michael Johnston
Old 09-15-2020, 04:21 AM
pete2222

Old 09-15-2020, 04:28 AM
pete2222

I've cleaned and serviced the Jammin Hong Nor X1CR pro. Its in 100% mechanical order and very good overall cosmetic condition. Will post for sale shortly if anyone is interested.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:03 PM
royta

I was here in 2005. I sold all my stuff and built up a mountain bike in 2006. Now I'm 47 and don't ride like I used to because of a spinal cord injury in 2014. Now I'm looking into electric airplanes.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:28 AM
Williammus

Default -

There is an old, locked, topic here about integrating theThe VSC Steam Sound Pack sounds intoOsark Northern stock.Is there any information for integrating them into the St.L&NA Equipment Pack and the Colorado Midland Pack?
Old 01-30-2021, 02:11 PM
rabidsquirrel

Default I’m back, I guess!

Bought my god son an arrma Senton 3s. We have had a good bit of fun with it so I decided to revive my old hyper 8.5 nitro buggy.

Getting back into the swing of it right now. Been trying to dial it in at Lake Park off-road track for the last week. Waiting on a new tank from HoBao at the moment...

Nice Jammin’ buggy, BTW!

Does it have the super big bore shocks on it? I put those on my Hyper 8/8.5 back in they day and they are awesome!

Last edited by rabidsquirrel; 01-30-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:06 PM
rccheech

Originally Posted by sh0wtime
Hi guys.
been away a while.
are there any of the RCU oldschool crew still around?

be great to chat again & see where we're all at with our racing etc
My gosh, SHOWTIME!! yea, some of us are still around, its been YEARS, however I was just sitting around thinking back when RCU was in its glory days in the mid 2000s to 2010s. I'm out of the rc scene now since 2015 although I've been itching to get back in... hope all is well with all the old skoolerz here. Take care guys!! Im shocked my account is still here!! Lol
Old 10-04-2023, 02:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I remember when the OFNA Ultra LX2 buggy came out. A friend got a RTR unit and took a bunch of videos of it. I was psyched to get one myself. For months I told myself I’d get one, then I had a different I interest distract me. 1/8th scale monster trucks. Years later I still don’t have a Buggy, but I did manage to find a Losi 8T 3.0 Truggy Race Kit with a brand stinkin new Novarossi P5XLT for under $201 shipped to my door. The guy I got it from was super cool, and was a lot of help getting it together and setup. At the end of it, I am kinda bored with it as it is. I had the P5XLT modified, which added some enthusiasm , but it’s still not enough snort. I am considering removing the center diff and custom fitting a monster truck transmission to it, and putting a snappy RPM happy modified Novarossi 28-7T/9886/41031 combo into it. Short strokes are more my style. After doing a modified Picco P3 and a modified Novarossi 28-8RT in my LST2 trucks, and seeing how brutally powerful they are, it should up the Truggy to the “Epic” level.

warning: modified .28s in truggies causes extreme premature tire wear. Buy stock in ProLine.