Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Heat problem

Old 05-27-2020, 02:25 PM
johnberriman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat problem

My name is john berriman I have been in too rc for a min but I have recently bought a pro boat sonicwake I have ran it a few time but she seems to get hot quick so I add an upgrade rudder hot racing rudder for traxxas spartan it has dual inlets on it so I ran one waterline to esc and the other to the motor it seemed to help but anybody out there have any ideas on how I could cool it better would like to add bigger prop but with its heat issues I don't think a bigger prop is a good idea
Old 05-27-2020, 03:50 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Which one is getting hot, the ESC or the motor? The answers you get will be different depending on which one it is
Old 05-27-2020, 04:14 PM
johnberriman

Both esc and motor I thought when I put that dual outlet rudder it would have helped my problem
Old 05-27-2020, 04:16 PM
johnberriman

Default batteries

My batteries I'm running are zee lipos 8000mha 100c discharge And I have some power hobby 7600mha 75c discharge
Old 05-27-2020, 04:30 PM
johnberriman

I have one other question should you use soft case lipos in a boat
Old 05-28-2020, 12:55 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Stuff getting hot is usually a sign of too much prop overloading the motor and producing heat rather than motion. An overloaded motor will get hot because it is pulling more current. If that is pushing the current drawn via the ESC to the ESCs limt, that will get hot as well. Providing more water flow helps remove unwanted temperature from hot items but is only attacking the symptom, not curing the problem.
Counter-intuitively, very often, for a faster boat with the same motor, a smaller prop that can spin faster gives a boat with more speed, but at the cost of acceleration. It's all a compromise, the motor converts electric energy into kinetic energy (rotary motion), the propeller converts rotary motion into moving water.
If there is too much resistance caused by too much prop, the motor produces heat energy rather than kinetic energy. When forced to run more slowly than it should, its resistance effectively drops, causing it to demand more current via the ESC. This warms up the ESC. Less capable batteries would probably heat up as well, but yours seem to still be OK.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:01 AM
Hydro Junkie

How did I know you would pop into this one? Actually, I'm glad you did as I was suspecting prop or driveline issues but don't know enough about electric powered boats to really answer the question. Must be the reason I run nitro boats
Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 AM
johnberriman

I'm running the stock prop all stock except the rudder that I added
Old 05-28-2020, 02:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Okay, mfr02 mentioned the motor "load" as being a possible cause for the heating up. That has me wondering if it's a drive line issue? Have you greased the drive line after running? I know a drive line without grease increases the friction between the flex cable and tube, resulting in an increase of drag and, consequently, heat from the motor working due to it's having to work harder. Following the path that mfr02 laid out, that means more current to the motor which, in turn heats up the ESC and shortens the run time due to pulling more amps from the batteries. If this is the case, lack of greasing, the service life the everything, tube, flex cable, motor and ESC will all be severely shortened. If the cable breaks, you could find yourself without a prop as well as it can and will pull the bottom of the shaft out and sink to the bottom of the pond
Old 05-28-2020, 05:14 PM
johnberriman

Yes sir I grease it every time I run it and like I said everything is stock
Old 05-28-2020, 05:29 PM
johnberriman

When I first put the hot racing rudder on it seemed to do really well but the other day when me and my kid took it out it got really hot I don't have a temp gun but I'm going to pick one up so I know exactly what the temp is running I try to keep it up on plane when running and you can see the water coming out of the side of the boat
Old 05-28-2020, 06:05 PM
johnberriman

Should I try a battery with a lower discharge rate and how much space should I leave between the strut and prop I was leaving about 1/8 inch how much do them flex shafts shrink
Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 AM
Hydro Junkie

A general rule of thumb is one shaft thickness between the drive dog and the end of the stuffing tube. 1/8" is probably too close, that is if it's a flex cable. You can assume, with a fair degree of accuracy, that the shaft will shrink in length roughly one shaft thickness under load. If you only have 1/8", it may be causing the drive dog to drag on the stuffing tube, causing the motor to draw more power and heating everything up.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:41 AM
johnberriman

That is probably my problem thanks for all your information you have a wonderful day
Old 05-29-2020, 04:38 PM
johnberriman

Took her out again tonight leaving more room helped the motor a ton but the esc
still is heating up about ready to just purchase a different one
Old 05-29-2020, 11:43 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by johnberriman
Should I try a battery with a lower discharge rate and how much space should I leave between the strut and prop I was leaving about 1/8 inch how much do them flex shafts shrink
A battery with a lower discharge rate will likely give a hot battery to add to the problem.
Hydro Junkie knows a lot more than me about flex drives.
Out of interest, which has first go at the cooling water, motor or ESC? Or are they on separate lines? Just thinking back to a workmates experience when he shared a heatsink on a project. He discovered that trying to cool two iems with one heat sink resulted in the two items heating each other up. Pre-heating the cooling water for the ESC by extracting heat from the motor before passing it to the ESC could do the same job.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:16 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by mfr02
A battery with a lower discharge rate will likely give a hot battery to add to the problem.
Hydro Junkie knows a lot more than me about flex drives.
Out of interest, which has first go at the cooling water, motor or ESC? Or are they on separate lines? Just thinking back to a workmates experience when he shared a heatsink on a project. He discovered that trying to cool two iems with one heat sink resulted in the two items heating each other up. Pre-heating the cooling water for the ESC by extracting heat from the motor before passing it to the ESC could do the same job.
Back in the initial post, he stated that he had changed out the rudder to a dual pick up type and ran one line to each with no real effect to the heating problem
Old 05-30-2020, 05:00 AM
johnberriman

So are you saying that having the two different cooling lines is a bad thing
Old 05-30-2020, 05:13 AM
johnberriman

Everything is stock except rudder I would have thought spliting the water lines would have helped n the stock set up the motor was first in line for the water then esc but that way things even got hotter so I thought I would change the rudder to a duel inlet set up that way it really helped the motor but not the esc The esc is a dynamite 120 amp esc since they are putting them in at the factory that way I figured it would have worked no problem but that is not the case If I purchased a bigger amp esc qould that help maybe I'm just to the limits of that esc
Old 05-30-2020, 10:58 AM
Hydro Junkie

The rudder shouldn't be the problem, unless the pick ups are much smaller combined than the one in the original rudder. Mfr02 was trying to help diagnose the problem, just like me. The problem is, without seeing what's happening first hand, we are grasping at straws. The prop shaft issue was a common sense cure, to me, since I use them on my hydroplanes, though I do use nitro motors for power rather than electric drive. Could you post some pictures of your set up, both inside the boat and out, so we can see what you're looking at? It would probably give us a bit more to go on
Old 05-30-2020, 11:43 AM
johnberriman

How do I add pictures for you guys I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me
Old 05-30-2020, 11:53 AM
johnberriman

Old 05-30-2020, 11:54 AM
johnberriman

Here are some photos hope this helps you guys
Old 05-30-2020, 11:56 AM
Hydro Junkie

Take your pictures and save them on your computer. To post them, click on the Go Advanced tab below. That will bring you to a new window with a Manage Attachments tab below. From there, it will let you bring up and add attachments to your post, like the picture I attached below, from 1973:

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 05-30-2020 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johnberriman (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 11:57 AM
johnberriman

I just uploaded some photos can you see them I don't have a computer I spent all my money on RC stuff LOL I'm just using my phone

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.