Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

Official Radio Shack Golden Arrow Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Official Radio Shack Golden Arrow Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:03 PM
rcjunkie85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Radio Shack Golden Arrow Thread

i got my golden arrow from radio shack years ago.. i just need to noe where four cables go.. if anyone has the origial set up and if they could post some pic of how the receiver is connected that would be great.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:32 PM
rcjunkie85

hey golfstreamI i see that u put a picture of the old golden arrow receiver but can u take a picture of the bottom of this receiver i need to noe where the pink wire and the brown wire and the red wire and the white wire go..  thank u so much please i really wanna get this rc car running ive had it for 13 years!!! email the picture to me at [email protected] [img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/92769/Zw69461.jpg[/img]
Old 04-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Nitro Killer Dave

O.K. I'm going to try and  describe it the best I can, and if that doesn't work call me. 1(360) 500-0223. I live in Washington St. So check your time. O.K. The red wire goes strait twords the rear. Next to the blue. It's The battery con.  Next is the brown, and it goes on top of the BIG red wire. Next is the White wire, and it goes right across from the brown. you should see soder  marks where they where ripped off! Now the hardest one. The pink wire! Now look at the bottom! You see a little black , and orange wire? It goes right between the black, and orange. back twords the rear. About a quarter inch back. Its kind of wide on the ends, and narrow in the middle. Now if that doesn't work call me.  Nitrokiller Dave!   P.S.  Sorry about pictures.  My wife has a camera phone, but no time on it!
Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
snipermaster
My Feedback: (19)

i have an vintage f10 rhino and a vintage nikko turbo panther im awsome condition. i can post pifs if youd like. but im looking ofr parts for my f10 rhino since the front drive thing brok and i need a new one, any ideas to finding some parts for these?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM
trueimport
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys I can help with pictures just give me a day and I'll get them posted up. I actually bought that Golden Arrow off GulfStreamI and have drastically altered it since. Its now running a 9T brushless in it! Anyways I'll get some pics posted up later and I'll also get pics of the stock board posted for Rcjunckie85. And to Snipermaster I might have what you need for that Rhino. Post a pictured of the broken bits and I'll see what I have that I can sell to you to get that thing up and running.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
rcjunkie85

rite on man i just really need to see how those wire are connected to the on and off switch... and if that receiver does not work i got a new receiver i just need to noe what kind of speed control i need to buy thank u..
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Nitro Killer Dave

I see true import that's why you wanted my Golden Arrows! You are going to sell the parts. I should have thought of that myself. Oh well They're yours now. I just hope people will stop sending me emails about them. So anybody reading this, I sold them! 
Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
trueimport

And I bought them so PM me instead
Old 05-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Shadow Racer

This is another Golden Arrow owner who needs tires.

The local Hobby store is not much help, they dont like Radio Shack stuff. An earlier post mentioned Tamiya and Nikko buggy's that have tires that might fit but if someone has replaced theirs it would be great to hear how it worked. My son has collected a few of the old Radio Shack cars but the wheels are all different.

Can Tamiya tires be glued on to the Golden Arrow wheels?

Thanks for any help!  Great site!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 AM
trueimport

I'm not 100% sure if a tire from a Tamiya Grasshopper, Hornet or frog will fit the stock Golden Arrow rim but you can get a set for wheels and tires from those buggies and they will bolt right up to the Arrow. Tamiya and Radio Shack Golden Arrow uses the same wheel adapters and axle size so the bolt up is the same. I'm thinking that the rims from each buggy are the same size though (1.9" maybe) so if you find tires that will fit the only hard part is going to be removing the old tire from the stock Golden Arrows rims.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 AM
trueimport

rcjunkie85 - Sorry I didnt get a chance to get the pictures up but I did take them I just need to get them loaded to the computer. I've been really busy these past few days and again I'm sorry I did get to this sooner. I'll make sure to have them posted at some point later tonight.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:51 PM
trueimport

rcjunkie85 - Here you go, I hope this helps if not PM and I'll see what else I can do to help get you up and running.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88947.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1429898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75005.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1429899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58832.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1429900  
Old 05-03-2010, 06:46 PM
rcjunkie85

[img]{akamaiimageforum}/upfiles/435371/Cx75005.jpg[/img]k i see can u take one of the bottom of the switch so i noe wich wire is across from each other ...  thank u
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM
rcjunkie85

nvm i see the next pic rite on bro and what mods did u make to ur frame buggy?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM
stoddmi

Hey,

Sorry it has taken a while for me to get back on the progress of our Golden hawk. We ended up buying our parts on ebay.
Igot a Hitec Aggressor 2 channel AM pistol grip 75MHz radio with One HS-311 Servo ($50) and a Duratrax IntelliSpeed AutoSport FWD ESC.($22)

I had to carve out the chasis to install the servo. It actually sits a little too far forward as the control arms rub the fram some times.
I am going to see about setting it back a hair.

We got the intellelitrax ESC that only went forward, and while it was fun, we are not good drivers.
So I found one with reverse on ebay for $24 so now it goes in reverse. However, it makes a high pitch noise now. We can live with it.

I had to cut the switch casing off to get the new switch in, and I pretty much mounted all the new components (except the servo) with mounting tape.

Thank you all for the advice! I am attaching a pic.

I still have the old Mobo, remote control, detailed manual, and I think the top part of the box with styrofoam if anyone needs anything.

Thanks!!!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54473.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1430346  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

hey guys jst browsing threads and i realized that the golden arrow shares a very large number of parts with the traxxas cat and by extension the traxxas spirit chassis. i think ill be on here more often

ive got the ultimatetraxxas.com "cool cat" and have a blast running it, even though i really shouldnt run a car like that as much as i do.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM
trueimport

rcjunkie85 - I was like are you kidding me, how could he not see the diagram of the switch right there and then I saw your next post haha.

As for my mods I'm running a EzRun 9t Brushless system, a 17 tooth pinion gear, Traxxas transmitter and receiver, the steering servo is a new Futaba unit, Tamiya shocks with 20w oil and for right now I'm running HPI Super Star 2.2 rims front and back to give me some added ground clearance, the front tires are Pro-line Dirt Hawgs and the rears are Pro-line Dirt Paws.
I'll get some pics of it posted up soon. Dont expect it to look like as good as it did when I first got it from Gulfstream because I've been bearing the hell out of it and having a BLAST doing it!!!

Stoddmi - Looks clean, nice job! Try and get some video posted up so we can see that bad boy in action.

FieroMan121 - Is that your Cat or just a link to one? Because MAN some of those mods are so nicely done and just MAKE the buggy so much nicer. I looked over the entire article and wow its crazy how much is the same or really close to the same as the Golden Arrow. I need to find a set of shocks like that because no matter how much I tune these old Tamiya ones they just cant handle the abuse and cause the buggy to flip and roll way too easily. Do you have any other suggestions for shocks that would fit? They dont have to be period correct because I'm not using this one as restored shelf queen, I just want it to run as best as it cant.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 PM
rcjunkie85

hey trueimport are u using the original remote control that came with ur golden arrow or did u have to change it when u change ur reciever?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
trueimport

ORIGINAL: rcjunkie85

hey trueimport are u using the original remote control that came with ur golden arrow or did u have to change it when u change ur reciever?
No I had to change it. I'm now running a Traxxas transmitter and receiver. See the problem is that when you try to use the stock remote (transmitter or TX) with a new ESC and receiver (RX) there is no way to change polarity of the steering and the way the signal is sent is reversed so to speak. In other words and to put it as short as possible, when you turn right the buggy will go left and vice versa. There is no way to change that so you'll have to use a different remote if you plan on changing any of the electronics.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
trueimport

So I figured I would give you all a nice little update on my Golden Arrow. I just got back from the hobby shop with my very first lipo. I was like a kid in a candy store because I knew that the buggy was fast running the EzRun 9t brushless but I've only been running it with a Venom 3000 7.4 NiMH but now its was going to be an entirely different animal and I was right!!!! HOLY COW was it fast!!! Let me emphasize WAS hahaha. That lasted a whole 3 minutes until I goosed it one more time at full throttle and BOOM went the entire rear end. I mean it literally exploded the casing lol. It was nuts for those 3 minutes though. It didn't matter what speed I was going before i hit the throttle all the way it would do a back flip with authority! I have no idea what the tooth count is on the spur gear but what ever it is in combination with that 17 tooth pinion was just CRAZY!!

So off I go to mend my poor GAs wounds and piece her back together. If I get it together and able to stay together long enough I'll try to get some video of it for you guys.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM
GotGA

Hey Guys, I just found this thread and had to join. I have held on to a non-working Golden Arrow that I inherited from one of my sisters boyfriends. Even though I never ran it, I knew someday I would be in a position to get it going again. After 20 something years, it is time.

I am 34 and just started school for electrical engineering. Starting to learn about circuit boards, I pulled out the old r/c. Seems that there is a melted capacitor. I can't wait to understand the repairs/upgrades you guys have made and get mine going.

I have all the original equipment (battery, charger, controller...). One thing I did do waspaint it. I hope no one is offended by this but one day I was bored with a can of spray paint. Pics in my gallery.

Again, I look forward to using this thread to meet other GA fans and to get mine going.

Later.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
trueimport

GotGA - Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining my thread. Honestly the paint job looks good so no offense here You will 1000% need a new battery. Keeping the original is cool bit its not going to work for crap so a new one is in order. I wish you the best of luck fixing the old board. If you need I might have one lieing around.

I havent posted on here in a long time so just to update everyone on my Arrow she is a scramer for sure!!!!! I've been running that EzRun 9t brushless with a TrueRC 7.4 4000mAh 2c. This set up incinerated the Tamiya Grasshopper rearend that I was running within the first 2-3 minutes of run time. When I say incinerated it I mean litterally. The case exploded in 3 different pieces and stripped almost all the gears. I replaced it with a stock Golden Arrow rearend and gear set and WOW this thing is bullet proof. I have thrown EVERYTHING at it I got and it just keeps going. The old girl is a tank to say the least. The only weak spots have been the rear shock supports but some simple reinforcements with aluminum and its perfect now. The other problem area is the rear wing mount on the body itself. The reason this is a problem on mine is because the car is so fast that every time I goose it, it rips a wheelie and slams back on the edge of the wing putting stress on the body. To solve this I cut the back of the body off about a quarter inch behind the on/off notch out and secured the wing to that lip with 3 small nuts and bolts. I'm still trying to find some other shock options because these old school Tamiya ones are just not up to the task of handeling the speed of my GA. When I get up to any good speeds and hit some bumps it starts to get squirly and normally flipps end over end a dozon times or so. I'll take some pice this weekend and post them up and I'll also try to get some video taken as well.

The body of my runner has seen better days but I have a nice near percect condition one sitting on the shelf so no worries I also have a stock working GA that I'm contemplaiting parting with so if anyone is interested let me know.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 AM
ElectricGuy007

Oh wow! Golden Arrow's. That was my first RC.
I got one when Radio Shack released them in the mid 1980's.

Mine is long gone. But It was similar to a Hornet or grasshopper in many aspects.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
dust75

hi all
dont know if this thread is still running
but here is my golden arrow

http://s933.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=MOV023.mp4
Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 PM
dust75

hi all
does anyone know if the bearings from a hornet will fit the golden arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.