Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Question about troubleshooting....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 10:43 PM
Charles Vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about troubleshooting....

Hi all

I have a question about my Traxxas Slash 4x4 and just need pointed in the right direction. I got it out today and blew the dust off (been on the shelf for a year or so) and took it to a nearby construction site. I'm running a Castle Creations 8th scale Sidewinder motor/ESC and two 3s Venoms in series. I wasn't too hard on it but after about 15min it just died; no lights, no noise, nothing. So I removed both LiPos and let it cool down, then plugged up only one battery. I got nothing, no lights or program initiation beeps. Fluke says batteries are pushing 11.7v and 11.6v but when I plug either or both up, literally nothing happens.

I checked the usual, connections etc and anything out of the ordinary. The truck was running just fine for awhile, nothing unusual, and the motor isn't seized up. You'll notice in the photo that I have disconnected the ESC in preparation for a chassis swap. I wasn't planning on doing it until late summer but.....

I don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-10-2020, 02:34 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ESC is only rated for a 3~4 cell LiPo battery.
The following users liked this post:
Charles Vane (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 11:07 AM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi charles , yes rusty is probably right . , you could have cooked the esc ( damaged the esc ) some of the esc s and motors also have a specific volt and amp rating not to go over a certain limit that could destroy the electronics . also some esc s have a thermal shut down when temperature exceeds the rating of esc some are temperature programmable , remove the wire nuts , solder the connections and use
shrink wrap , to extend your wires to various areas of your truck , or buggy ok you might need a new esc and motor ,the new sensored esc and motors nice too ok MUGEY

Charles Vane (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:22 PM
Charles Vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice and the quick responses. I'll start looking into alternative ESCs later tonight.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:35 AM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi charles , you can try a hobbywing esc and motor or another castle creations 1/8 scale esc and motor , read the set up manual for the esc s and motors min and max on battery sizes ok mugey
Charles Vane (04-11-2020)