Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Purchase info

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 04:12 PM
galaxy24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase info

Looking to get into RC again. I retired my nitro Jammin X1 CRT years ago. Still looking at a Truggy style vehicle but in a 1/10 scale with 4x4 drive. 1/10 looks to have a lower initial cost and lower cost of ownership. Plus I am looking to move to electric and I am new to LiPo and I don’t have any batteries or a charger which I will need to purchase as well. Most of the time I will be driving on a short track I have at my house with some jumps and clean dirt. There is a local indoor track that I may take it too which is a clay track.

I have been looking at the Habao Hyper TT10E. The price seems to be in the range that I would like to spend. I have looked at the X-RAY and Tekno equivalents but they are a little more than what I really want to spend.

I also have been looking at the Traxxas Rustler VXL. I know they are really not the same category of vehicle but similar price (looks like it just got a price bump). I just look at the Traxxas Rustler VXL and see an abundance of plastic which makes me nervous but parts for it are everywhere. Is there a different vehicle similar to the Hyper TT10E that you would recommend that I may have missed that I should consider? Or is the Hyper TT10E a good vehicle that I should purchase?

Any information is helpful.

Thank you.

Last edited by galaxy24; 05-27-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:35 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi galaxy24 , well you have to get alot of stuff yes the 1/10 tekno eb410 , et410 4wd is very nice , also the xray too very good bashers and excellent racers , go to the rc track and see what everyone else is running , buggy or truggy , then you can make your choice.
and also see the youtube videos ok this will help you with your decision too so you don t get buyer `s remorse , ok hope i helped mugey i m running xray xb4 buggy 13.5 T motor

Old 05-28-2020, 04:40 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I almost went with the Hyper TT10E when Ofna was on their way out. I gave up the notion of owning a 4wd stadium truck. Time went by, and I was enjoying my 1/8 scale buggy to the fullest. When rumor was out about a Tekno RC 4wd stadium truck, my blood pressure rose and I knew I had to have one. When the pictures of the ET410 started showing up on the web, and me being an Associated fanboy, I actually was hoping Team Associated would catch wind of it, and possibly jumpstart something in Area 51 Design Works.

I didn't jump in on the ET410 pre-ordering party. I waited patiently for AE to get their act together. Welp, long story short...the ET410 has exceeded my expectations on what a 1/10 4wd stadium truck/mini truggy can do on a backyard track bashing endeavor. The ET410 purchase was some of the best money I ever spent on the hobby.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:09 PM
galaxy24

Thank you both for taking the time and giving your input on this. I like the suggestion of going to the track and seeing what they are running. The ET410 just looks like a great vehicle. I will keep throwing that idea around.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:00 AM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Here are my thoughts:
  • HoBao Hyer10TT - I have owned 3 of these and raced them for many years
    • Design flaw in steering, requires custom ackermann bar to be bent to fix
    • Requires far too many aftermarket upgrades making the car equally as expensive as TEKNO/XRAY/PR
    • Dated geometry, no quick access diffs, no pill inserts, limited tuning options and non standard springs/sway bars
    • Just not worth the effort to make this car right
  • Traxxas Rustler - I have not owned this car but will share my thoughts
    • Overpriced for what you get, far more limited tuning options compared to HoBao
    • It's not a true Truggy, without a rear wing it will not be nearly as easy to drive
    • If you will be running on an indoor dirt track you absolutely need a center fluid filled diff, which will add to a long list of upgrades which will put you close to total cost with a true race grade by the time you're done making things right
  • TEKNO ET410 - I have owned this rig and have over a year of race experience with it
    • You will be nickle and dimed on necessary upgrades
    • weak points are inner suspension arm pins, front shock tower and front bulkhead
    • truck is phenomenally more durable than HoBao and Traxxas, but I have seen a guy break 3 bulkheads on the same race day, talk about having bad luck!
  • XRAY XT4 - I have not owned this truck but I race alongside several guys and am very familiar with it
    • Very solid design, about equal in durability with TEKNO, if anything a pinch easier to drive
    • Only weak point are the arms, they did not upgrade them from the 2WD version they are based on, I've seen guys break arms about as often as TEKNO breaks bulkheads
  • PR Racing 401R-T - I have been racing this truck for about a year now
    • Most durable option of any Mini Truggy on the market today
    • Geometry is extremely similar to XRAY, performance is about a wash
    • Includes more upgrades in kit than any other brand making it the most cost effective on the market today
    • BUILD/REVIEW: PR Racing 401R-T

Feature Comparison Chart between PR Racing, TEKNO and XRay

Hands down, PR Racing is the clear winner in my book, if I wasn't happy with the brand I promise I would've went back to TEKNO or jumped over to XRAY by now.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:54 PM
galaxy24

Wow! That is a lot of detailed information. Thank you for sharing that with me. I hadn’t heard of PR Racing until your post. Looks like an awesome vehicle.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:48 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It's a win, win situation no matter which kit you choose. I can't speak for the Xray XT4, or PR Racing 401R-T mini truggies, I'm sure they handle relatively the same as the Tekno RC ET410, or better. All I know is Tekno RC made a believer out of me. The ET410 is the most fun to drive 1/10 scale RC that I have ever driven. Stupid fun I tell ya! 4wd stadium trucks, or mini truggies, whatever you want to call them...they rule.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:28 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi rustyus i pm you ok mugey