Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pluses/Minuses of Two Radio Choices

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pluses/Minuses of Two Radio Choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pluses/Minuses of Two Radio Choices

A tale of two radios.... I hate to bring this up as I truly do not want to start a feud here, but as I re-enter the turbine world after being MIA for 11 years, I need to decide on a radio system. I have narrowed it down to the Spektrum iX20 or one of the Jetis with 2.4 GHz and 900 MHz. I would appreciate opinions, especially from those whom fly these systems. Currently I am leaning towards the iX20, but I am not yet locked in. Please weigh in with your opinions hopefully supported by facts. Thank you all!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:55 AM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

If those two are your only choices, I would choose Jeti.
Personally I would choose the Core, because I think it has more potential than the other two choices.

Regards
Eduardo
Old 05-28-2020, 10:58 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

You got to ask yourself why they need a 900mhz ‘safety net’ what is lacking with the 2.4Ghz bit?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:06 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably more of a selling point than a need.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Out if those two, Jeti is going to be much harder to program.

But that harder programming makes for a MUCH more powerful radio.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:51 AM
aehaas

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like expensive things that are made better. Though it does not necessarily mean that it is actually better just because it is expensive.

When the time came for me though I chose the Spektrum as there are a bunch of people who could help me program and use the transmitter whereas only one person I know at the field flies the Jedi. I also think there are many more accessories and options that go with the Spektrum line up.

AEHaas
Old 05-28-2020, 12:13 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
You got to ask yourself why they need a 900mhz ‘safety net’ what is lacking with the 2.4Ghz bit?
No, you really don't because they don't NEED a 900Mhz safety net. Many, including myself have flown Jeti for years on a single 2.4Ghz receiver without the slightest hint of a problem. Just because these features are offered for people that WANT them doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean they NEED them.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:20 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I do indeed like the idea of 900 MHz backup. Feces happens. Would be nice to have back-up.... But is that needed often enough to drive the radio choice? Spektrum seems very reliable from all that I have read, especially with the multiple remote RXs with antennas. I have only flown a year or two back in 2007-2008 with my only 2.4 GHz radio: Futaba 12FG. Never had a lock out or any issue. But I sure don't want one.....
Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeti rules

I've been flying Jeti 24 for nearly a year after flying JR, Spektrum Dx18, and Spektrum Dx20. I find the Jeti is a little harder to program than anything I've had before since there are no preassigned switches or channels in the Tx or Rx, however, it is much more versatile and lets you assign any channel to any switch, which can be really helpful in some cases. I really like the free updates on all Jeti equipment on the internet which to my knowledge, no other radio has. I also like the 900 mz backup, especially when flying expensive jets - just another insurance policy. I was a little apprehensive about programming it when I first received my Jeti, but after working with it in several airplanes, I really love it. I think it is the best radio out there today. There was a review of the Jeti in the last month's Model Airplane News magazine that you might find helpful in making up your mind. I don't plan on going back to any other radio except Jeti as long as I'm able to fly.

Last edited by jetjockey; 05-28-2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 05-28-2020, 01:33 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Big decision, especially because you are starting fresh. Over the years, I have used several different brands. I also have been "trained" on the Jeti and CORE, somewhat. I would have to say, starting fresh, the programming would for me be equally as hard on all of them. But if one has had past experience with say Spektrum, then one would probably find that the transition to one of the others is a lot more challenging. Knowing what I know today, if I was starting over with a new brand, it would be the CORE, if I could afford it. However, the IX20 is a lot cheaper and Spektrum service is excellent. However, I have had Powerboxes for years and I know they have performed flawlessly. So, If I was to change brands now it would be CORE. If I was starting fresh, it would probably be the IX-20 and put the savings into something else for the plane(s).

When looking at Txers, also look at what is available for matching Rxers. Some brands have been out of stock for many months! Some RXer brands do not have the channels to even handle its Txer capability. And then there is the cost of the Rxers. Some brands are reasonable and others are not. If you are getting serious about jets, you will eventually want more than 14 channels. 9 channels just does not seem to do it anymore.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:36 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Honestly you may want to wait. Reasoning is within the next couple of years we are all going to be forced into buying the new RF ident whatever to be in compliance with the FAA.
I have Spektrum myself.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:44 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I have flown both. I dont like the fiddley sliders on the Spectrum. Jedi is nice but I personally fly Futaba 18MZ. All are good choices
Old 05-28-2020, 01:47 PM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TimD.
Honestly you may want to wait. Reasoning is within the next couple of years we are all going to be forced into buying the new RF ident whatever to be in compliance with the FAA.
I have Spektrum myself.
100% accurate.
I have all of my radios. Starting with the Futaba 8U PCM to my JR-12X second hand but practically brand new.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

The field I have flown at since 2006 (Willy McCool Park, North Las Vegas) is known to be a very "busy" RF environment. The field sits right next to a large neighborhood. In my 14 years of flying experience here I have never experienced any degradation in the RF link using Spektrum-based 2.4 systems (JR12X on both DSM2 and DSMX). My models include: CARF Corsair/Moki, Ultra Flash, BVM F-4 and a sizeable quantity of 50cc and 80cc warbirds.

-High-end radios take a knee occasionally at our field. We've scratched our heads over this trying to rationalize why a $2000+ radio system goes into hold or locks out while a 15-year-old Spektrum-based system like mine soldiers on without issue. Maybe it is the power the older transmitters put out? We searched and found that a JR 12X puts out 128 milliwatts, current high end radios put out the European-mandated maximum of 100 milliwatts. Just guessing here, no data beyond, I have not crashed with Spektrum, to support the notion.

-I now fly one of the high-end systems and I lost a 10-year old prop model because of it (went into hold in the final turn to landing). I am currently evaluating my new radio system and can say that so far, the numbers look ok. Like with the other high end system a couple of my buddies fly, we have learned which components, and how many, to use for redundancy. Its worth noting that all my Spektrum systems used/use 4 receivers.

-Another buddy of mine flies his jets at our field with the iX20 and he has so far not experienced the issues mentioned here.

Take it for what it is worth. This is one personal experience example and you must understand it is shaped by the environment I fly in. We have taken our "high-end" radios to the dry lake and everything is perfect in terms of the RF performance feedback we get from the systems.

Respectfully submitted,

Old 05-28-2020, 01:59 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere

Pretty funny...post....Jeti work fine on 2.4, but like all radio in really busy 2.4, it can save the day....I have the 900mhz since the intro and I never had the need...
Old 05-28-2020, 02:14 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes of the two you have chosen I personally would go with the Jeti. I have had a chance to setup planes on both radios that you are asking about. As far as programming the radio there are a ton of videos online for both the spektrum and the jeti. I just recently setup a kingcat on a DX18 for a buddy and it was rather straight forward and pretty easy. It was the first time I had touched a spektrum radio also. Every radio has it's programming quirks, but if you are a reasonably intelligent person you can figure out most stuff rather easily. As far as the comment about more accessories being available for spektrum, well jeti has alot of unique gadgets that can be used with it as well. My choice would be the jeti as I hate the satellite RX setup of the spektrum....dont know why it has always bothered me to no end. So in short...my vote is Jeti, it is robust and can do anything you want it too and there are a ton of videos online to assist you in programming. I have no comment on the 900mhz as mine does not have it and quite frankly never needed it.

Patrick
Old 05-28-2020, 02:22 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The difference between Jeti and Spektrum is no one blames their Jeti radio for their mistakes like they do Spektrum.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
The difference between Jeti and Spektrum is no one blames their Jeti radio for their mistakes like they do Spektrum.
Funny thats how i look at Futaba and everyone else = ) knock on wood but I have never had signal issues with futaba since 2.4 came out.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:01 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Dave Wilshire is for core kinda like ZB is for jeti! Ha!

In terms of gadgets, I don’t think ANYONE can match jeti.

And when jeti came out with their flagship 24 channel radio, everyone that had their last flagship 16 channel radio, THEY got a 24 channel radio upgrade, FOR FREE.
The following users liked this post:
CraigG (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:05 PM
tp777fo

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I flew JR for years and switched to Spectrum to get more channels. My DX18 didnt work out of the box..sent it in. When returned switches started falling out. Got got recall for weak transmission and had to do a 1/2 mile range check before flying. Bought another JR and they went out of business. Tried the Spectrum again and bought a 20 channel Rx. Recalled with a do not fly message from them. Finally decided Spectrum works great until it just quits. Sold all the Spectrum and JR stuff and went Jeti. A little complicated at first but the videos and large number of advanced modelers using them allow quick response to answers. I have flown at Joe Nall and Georgia jets, both high density flying with ZERO problems. 900mhz is good for really bad environments like SoCal. I personally dont use it. Great reliability, great flexibility, great telemetry. Data recording allows you to look and see if all is well. My personal opinion is Spectrum will fly you to the scene of the crash. Bottom line...your jet your choice.

Last edited by tp777fo; 05-28-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:06 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tp777fo
I flew JR for years and switched to Spectrum to get more channels. My DX18 didnt work out of the box..sent it in. When returned switches started falling out. Got got recall for weak transmission and had to do a 1/2 mile range check before flying. Bought another JR and they went out of business. Tried the Spectrum again and bought a 20 channel Rx. Recalled with a do not fly message from them. Finally decided Spectrum works great until it just quits. Sold all the Spectrum and JR stuff and went Jeti. A little complicated at first but the videos and large number of advanced modelers using them allow quick response to answers. I have flown at Joe Nall and Georgia jets, both high density flying with ZERO problems. 900mhz is good for really bad environments like SoCal. I personally dont use it. Great reliability, great flexibility, great telemetry. Data recording allows you to look and see if all is well. My personal opinion is Spectrum will fly you to the scene of the crash. Bottom line...your jet your choice.
I share your opinion, using single receivers on Jeti, not even a signal fade to date, not using 900mhz, but if worst comes to worst, you have the option of the 900mhz backup as well

Tks

Old 05-28-2020, 06:29 PM
6blitz
My Feedback: (29)

Well I have a Jeti DS-24. Today I lost signal for the first time ever. I landed the plane no problems. Upon checking the flight log my signal was lost for 25 seconds. The 900MHZ automatically kicked in. Without it the plane would have crashed for sure. The 900 reciever costs 99 bucks. It saved me thousands today.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:34 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 100% right

Originally Posted by ECalderon
Hi

If those two are your only choices, I would choose Jeti.
Personally I would choose the Core, because I think it has more potential than the other two choices.

Regards
Eduardo
Absolutely agree!
Old 05-29-2020, 02:21 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Mark, both are good choices.. cant go wrong with either, presuming you do your homework. This days all the major radio brands are plenty capable to fly any r/c project, including the Taranis. However my prefered brand is the Core and in second place the Jeti. based in my personal preference and bias. :-)

p.s. great to hear you are coming back.
The following users liked this post:
Woketman (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 03:26 AM
tp777fo

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

6bitz What did data show? What setup? Where do you fly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.