Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How to choose a receiver

Old 05-04-2021, 08:07 AM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to choose a receiver

I purchased a set of electronics over the internet that includes a propeller and 1100 KV 40 amp brushless motor a brushless ESC I forget what else but it doesn't come with a receiver so I was wondering how you determine how many batteries you need to use. Is that determined by the ESC? How much do the servos affect the power requirements of the receiver? does the torque affect the amount of current the receiver has to deliver to the servos? If there's a standard voltage for the receiver how would I know what voltage of batteries to get for the ESC? Can I buy a spectrum receiver transmitter set to go with a non-spectrum set of ESC and motor and servos?

Last edited by obrien135; 05-04-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:25 AM
Flyingbaseball

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obrien135
I purchased a set of electronics over the internet that includes a propeller and 1100 KV 40 amp brushless motor a brushless ESC I forget what else but it doesn't come with a receiver so I was wondering how you determine how many batteries you need to use. Is that determined by the ESC? How much do the servos affect the power requirements of the receiver? does the torque affect the amount of current the receiver has to deliver to the servos? If there's a standard voltage for the receiver how would I know what voltage of batteries to get for the ESC? Can I buy a spectrum receiver transmitter set to go with a non-spectrum set of ESC and motor and servos?
Your reciever does not really determine any of the voltage or battery requirements. It is actually the ESC that determines it. Look up your ESC on the internet and you should be able to find what batteries it is rated for (ie. 2s 3s 4s etc.) ESC's have a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) built in. A BEC lowers the voltage of the flight battery so that other electronics like servos and recievers can be powered off of it. For example a 3 cell lipo battery has a voltage of 11.1v but most receivers and servos operate off of 4.8v. The BEC brings the 11.1v down to 4.8v so that the receiver and servos can be powered without overpowering them. In some cases you can raised the BEC voltage to give your receiver more voltage so that you can have more power to your servos. But the servos and the receiver have to be rated for that. 4.8v is the standard voltage that most electronics will work of of. You mention using a spektrum receiver and transmitter. This would work fine even if the servos, motor, and esc are a different brand. As long as you have a receiver and transmitter on the same protocol (ie. Spektrum to Spektrum) your fine.

Last edited by Flyingbaseball; 05-08-2021 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:41 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Oh man, how do people like you get loose on the Internet forums??????

You are WAY OVER YOUR HEAD and any explanation for what's going on you would not understand. Do some research, a LOT of research on the topic and then maybe someone can talk to you in terms you'll understand.

Old 05-09-2021, 03:33 AM
obrien135

Yes I am way over my head with a lot of these questions. I only hope I can figure it out in time to know what direction to go in. I think I am going to give up the hobby
Old 05-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Flyingbaseball

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I am way over my head with a lot of these questions. I only hope I can figure it out in time to know what direction to go in. I think I am going to give up the hobby
Would hate to see someone give up on such a great hobby. I would just start watching videos and doing some research as said before. It seems like a mountain of information right now but slowly research one thing at a time and you'll get there. I know, even researching things seems hard to do because it is hard to know where to start. Search Youtube for the "Flite Test Beginner Series". That is a great series of videos that has lots of valuable information, even a video over electronics. Wat h that whole series. It is a great place to start and it gives you very simple and basic information.
I hope you dont give up. RC is so much fun and very rewarding. Hopefully you give it a shot.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:50 AM
obrien135

Thank you for the encouragement. It's not so much the complexity of it that's one thing but also I've tried to build about 12 models and I couldn't get any of them to work right. Not so much due to the complexity of the electronics but just the assembly process with my Parkinson's. And I had nine ready to fly airplanes which I could barely fly and about 12 or 13 helicopters and drones which I had a little bit better luck with but not much. I probably would keep trying but my wife doesn't want me to spend any more money on the hobby and it's becoming a point of contention for us. It's frustrating transit to pursue an expensive hobby with limited funds. Maybe I'll just put it on the back burner for a while.