Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

1/6 ROC Hobby Willys MB 1941

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 ROC Hobby Willys MB 1941

Old 04-01-2020, 12:26 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 1/6 ROC Hobby Willys MB 1941

I had a GI Joe Jeep when I was a kid in the '60s & always was tempted to go on eBay so this is a welcome surprise.

Ordered mine today & will let you know what its like once it arrives later this month. Clark is already working on a board for it.

For you folks on that side of the pond: https://www.fmsmodel.com/product/roc...april-21/1182/

Last edited by herrmill; 04-01-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:48 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

BAD LINK
Old 04-01-2020, 04:01 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

The link work for me, but it won't let me buy one. First I registered, and then I added a Jeep to my cart, but when I tried to go to checkout it asked me to sign in and it won't recognize any of the information I just registered.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 AM
herrmill

I ordered mine on Taobao from the same store I got my HG Hummer last year. I'll let you know what its like after it arrives in 3 weeks.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=614449080305

Old 04-01-2020, 08:26 AM
Crius

I also ordered one, from FMS at the link above, and they say it will ship on April 21st. I, too, will post the results here for my fellow enthusiasts.

Oh yeah, they accept paypal so naturally I went that route. You guys know the rule - No Paypal, No Sale!!
Old 04-01-2020, 11:39 AM
tankme

Received 205 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks nice. That guy that wanted to convert a Dragon Jeep to pull his aircraft should be happy. Now he can just buy this one.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:52 PM
Crius

If he's smart he'll wait till mine shows up and see if it will do what he wants before he spends the money. I'd hate to see him buy this and then find it can't do the job and have to spend the money all over again for a proper tow-Jeep.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:49 PM
sassgrunt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not smart enough to wait. I was never sure how to make a frame to attach RC parts to the Dragon kit, so I never started that build. But now I plan to either use this one stock, or enhance the details with Dragon parts, as suggested. Thank all of you for the info and link!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:12 PM
RC_BobM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

That is really cool. I'd like to see those reviews before buying!
Bob
Old 04-02-2020, 07:12 PM
herrmill

I'll let you know guys know my thoughts once mine arrives - seller confirmed once again yesterday that it will ship on 4/21 so should have in 3 weeks from today.

Last edited by herrmill; 04-02-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:56 PM
herrmill

Appears FMS has a hit on that hands after seeing their initial run sold out during a pre-sale! Saw this on their Facebook page:

The first batch of 1000 pcs MB Scaler will be sold out soon after only two-day presale!! 🤩 The last 30 pcs are still available at:
https://www.fmsmodel.com/product/roc...mb-scaler/1182 (Expected delivery date: April 21st, 2020)

Or you will wait for the next batch at the end of May. Come and Order now!!!
I checked again with the Taobao seller who confirmed I'll see mine next week. Soldiers already arriving that I ordered last week so we're getting excited.

Last edited by herrmill; 04-12-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:37 AM
RC_BobM

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I didn't wait for reviews - already ordered one too. At that price hard to beat. Fingers crossed.
bob
Old 04-13-2020, 06:14 PM
herrmill

Here's the first unboxing video on the new ROCHobby 1941 MB. Packaging very similar to the HG 1/10 Hummer I have. Am impressed so far.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:18 AM
Crius

I just got the email that says my Jeep is being shipped. They provided a tracking number, but when I looked it up at USPS it just says label created, not yet in system, and it will continue to say that until the package hits u.s. soil. Creating a label doesn't really mean anything, though, as that's what the guy did when I tried to order the 1/6 dragon schwimmwagen kit. They created a label but they never shipped the item because they never received it from Dragon because Dragon still hasn't released it. In that case they kept my $300 for over 3 months before I got my refund. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the tracking number and I'll do a box opening video when he gets here.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:41 PM
herrmill

Mine's on the road & halfway to HZ so expect to see within the next day or two. Will post my impression as soon as get it outdoors.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:56 AM
herrmill

My initial comments after unboxing;

Overall it looks great, is well built, with ABS body, detail parts metal frame & a mix of metal / nylon parts, Great packaging which is modeled clearly off HG's excellent foam box. Detailing is amazing & you'll love how the steering rotates when you turn the wheels. A very nice touch! I can already see the aftermarket going to town when it comes to accessories.

Can't wait to get it outside tomorrow. Drove it around my living room tonight & found it quite very responsive both in throttle & steering.

At only 4kg its quite the lightweight which is half as much as the 1/10 HG Hummer. I see a lot of bouncing around at speed on uneven terrain.

One thing I didn't expect: the suspension with its much touted oil shocks are far too soft to carry any load. I was disappointed to see how much the body leaned with just one figure in the driver seat & with another figure in the passenger seat it drove around like a drunken sailor lurching from side to side. Don't even think about adding another in the rear since its almost sitting on the rear wheels. Its no wonder FMS posted videos of it driving without figures. These absolutely need to be changed out with something more firm so will look into what can fit.

Will post more photos & comments after I get it outside for a proper test drive tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:15 AM
Crius

Thanks for posting this, a lot of us are waiting for this Jeep right now. That's bad news about the suspension, so hopefully we'll be able to find some stiffer Springs to take care of that. I definitely plan to put figures in mine so I'll need good suspension and Brad is planning to use his to tow a 1/6 scale P-38 so he'll probably need beefier suspension as well.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:38 PM
herrmill

Stiffer springs will certainly be my first step but you'd think FMS would have gone for a more stiffer suspension given many would plan to run with 1/6 figures. I'd rather have leaf springs on this myself so looking at all options. The tow hook is pretty basic, nothing like the cast tow hitch thats on my HG Hummer, so you'll need to do some work on that end. I'll post some more photos later.

Didn't have time to do a run outside before work so will do later or over the weekend.

Last edited by herrmill; 04-23-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:30 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by herrmill
Stiffer springs will certainly be my first step but you'd think FMS would have gone for a more stiffer suspension given many would plan to run with 1/6 figures. I'd rather have leaf springs on this myself so looking at all options. The tow hook is pretty basic, nothing like the cast tow hitch thats on my HG Hummer, so you'll need to do some work on that end. I'll post some more photos later.

Didn't have time to do a run outside before work so will do later or over the weekend.
Hey Chuck too bad we're not closer, I'm getting ready to do some castings and I'd only be too happy to throw
your tow hook in the sand and cast you an aluminum version..

Jerry
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:45 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by Tanque
Hey Chuck too bad we're not closer, I'm getting ready to do some castings and I'd only be too happy to throw
your tow hook in the sand and cast you an aluminum version..

Jerry
Jerry, you should cast a few anyway because I know there's a bunch of guys are going to want them, especially Brad, who wants to use this Jeep to pull a 1/6 scale aircraft.

I think the problem may be that they didn't really build a Jeep, they built a rock crawler in 1/6 scale and then stuck a Jeep body on top of it. I think they would have been much better off to use a true leaf spring suspension just like the real Jeep.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:50 PM
herrmill

Excellent idea but I'd not rush into things. From what I'm seeing after a quick check makes me believe that FMS took some creative license on their new creation.

The tow hook on my MB isn't even close to what was on the original. I'll post some photos this weekend.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:37 PM
downwind leg

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info guys. Crius, everything you talked about makes sense. I wasn't smart enough to wait and mine wont ship until May but would love to get a metal hitch as you said. I know very little about crawlers but one of the guys at the field showed some adjustable tension springs a couple of years ago that might help. Short of that, it seems like stiffer springs could be found. Looking forward to further input.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:31 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

If one of you folks can get the parts to me or can get a spare I'm willing to give it a go. It's been warmer here all of a sudden and I've been a little sluggish should be a bit cooler in a few days. Bear in mind I'd make no promises and all I'd do is make the raw castings and y'all can finish them..

So far I've been avoiding outside activities with others like the plague ( well in a way there IS a plague out there) as doctor friends
keep telling me of ongoing discovery of new effects of this CVS19 krap the worst being its ability to trigger harmful blood clotting in
especially younger folks that even blood thinners can't seem to counter! So I need to fire up my foundry soon just to keep from going bonkers...
Old 04-25-2020, 07:29 PM
herrmill

Took the MB out for a spin this morning & overall am satisfied driving it, with & without figure . Hadn't had a chance to run in dirt or gravel so expect it will be a bit more squirrelly with the figure. Its quite a peppy little bugger. With stiffer springs, it can only get better, especially since I always plan on having at least one, if not more, figures onboard. Shocks are standard 80mm so will be easy to change out with something better, am looking at adjustable shocks now on Taobao.

Since I was solo I didn't get a chance to take any video but here are some shots alongside the Hummer for comparison. Again, with all the metal parts HG uses as standard, my Hummer weighs twice as much as the MB. In case anyone is wondering, I lifted up the driver's side of the body to straighten up for the shots due to the softness. The Hummer's suspension, on the other hand, is rock solid but a completely different design with shocks designed to carry the weight. HG certainly makes a very nice product!

Regarding the tow hook, I guess I was overstaying my initial thought - its similar but thinner & made of plastic, appears to be nylon & does have an upper latch that closes but its not spring loaded like the Hummer's which is cast aluminum. Regarding upgrade parts, the manual does show some optional aluminum bumpers & windshield wipers (?) along with the canvas canopy & machine gun so who knows if anything else is forthcoming. Still am waiting to hear back from FMS on inquiries I sent regarding parts.

Last edited by herrmill; 04-25-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:07 PM
herrmill

Here's why it needs a firmer suspension. Add two more figures & the shocks bottom out. Granted, its a simple fix but have to question why release something like this, especially knowing it will appeal massively to the 1/6 collector market. As I said above, HG's 1/10 Hummer weighs twice as much & its suspension makes this pale in comparison. Of course, we could be put the soldier on a diet...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.