Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CAC Boomerang Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CAC Boomerang Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:59 AM
puma79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAC Boomerang Project

OK.. so here is a difficult one.

Does anyone know anyone that is or has completed a CAC Boomerang scratch build?

Im currently scratch building a 74" Boomerang, and it would be neat to exchange info.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CAC Boomerang Project

hey Puma,

mate I'm in the Sourthern Cross Warbirds assoc, they have a meet on at TMAC here in Brissy on the 14th, I'm pretty sure that there is a Boomerang floting about, will ask for you.

By the way there is arestored on up in Toowoomba

I have a few pics of it and when I can find the folder I hid them in i will post them here for you
cheers
Peter
Old 02-18-2004, 07:00 PM
puma79

Just got an email from the Flying Scale Association NSW with details of a completed RC Boomer in Victoria. Have emailed him, but awaiting reply.

BTW how do I attach photo's of my progress?

Once I know how to do that, I will start a Boomerang construction thread.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

hey mate if you look towrds the bottom of the window you type in there is a little Upload Images link, click on that and follow the destructions

mmm will have to go re red the last email I got from NSW scale assoc

if you get a chance head up to toowoomba for a peek at the boomer there

I have looked through every damn folder on this thing and can not find those pics
Old 02-19-2004, 05:05 AM
Merlin65

This one appears on the Victorian Flying Scale Aircraft Association home page.

Model is by Noel Whitehead. Span of 84" (2135mm) and 25lb (11.5kg) with a Super Tigre 3000 motor.

Airborne mag also has plans for a smaller version (1826mm) for about $50
--
Merlin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45415.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	102683  
Old 02-19-2004, 07:36 AM
puma79

The airborne plans are for a model with only 70" wingspan. I want to enlarge this for a 80" wingspan, how would you go about enlarging the plan? Just get a graphic shop to copy and enlarge?

Any other suggestions?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

hey merlin,

not too sure about enlarging the plans but what you said sounds ok. You would need to be careful about timber selection and diameters though

only prob is that all the timbers on the new plans will not be correct in size
Old 02-20-2004, 03:25 AM
puma79

Ok,

Been doing some more research on the topic, and I have obtained about 6 books covering specificationa and details on my subject.

The actual aircraft had a 10.97 metre wingspan (which is kind of small) and the airborne plans that I have obtained are for a wingspan of 1,826mm meaning the plane is 1/6 scale.

This plane is going to be for scale competition, what scale would you guys sugges? 1/6 - 1/5 - 1/4

@ 1/6 scale this would be off standard airborne plans 1,826mm (71") with a 120 f/s

@ 1/5 scale this would give me a bird that would have a winspan of 2,194mm (86") 3W-75i

@ 1/4 scale this would give me a bird that would have a winspan of 2,742mm (107") - ??

I currently have a new ASP120 four stroke and a new 3W-75i petrol ready to go, but am undecided. Given that I am new to the scale scene in Australia do they categorise or class the events by scale size?

I have also attached a digital photo showing the detail of the plan which I hope displays. there are 4 pictures, these are of the Fuse sheet.

Unfortunately, there is no top view for the plan, it only provides elevation and top view of wing.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:30 AM
puma79

Image one

Name:	Bz77433.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	103013  
Old 02-20-2004, 03:31 AM
puma79

These three images are a split of the first plan page: Sorry.. images need to be rotated but dont really know how to do it

Name:	Ge95236.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	103014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87045.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	103015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90328.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	103016  
Old 02-20-2004, 03:34 AM
puma79

Just got confirmation via email... my $300 bucks worth of balsa is due to arrive this monday!

I will need to get started with getting templates cut for wing-ribs and fuse formers.

Anyone have an idea regarding retracts here in Australia? Im going to need go get a set of harvard or AT6 retracts for this baby...

any help.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:02 AM
Merlin65

Here's a link to some great photo's of all the restored Boomer's in Oz.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....gsearch=VH-MHR

During my 9 years at C.A.C I walked past the Boomer that the apprentices were restoring without so much as a second glance. How I wish I had taken pictures now!

The size you choose will also depend to some extent on whether you want to stay under the 7kg limit before cetification is required. I believe this certification process requires inspections DURING construction. Over 20kg and you need a permit every flight!
These rules are up for review I think and may have changed now?
--
Merlin
Old 02-20-2004, 05:11 AM
puma79

I've been emailed confirmation from the Flying Scale Association NSW that 25Kg's is the maximum permitted model size. So i guess I will be safe any direction that I go. Im thinking that I will stick with the 1/6 scale of the Airborne plans. 71" given that most of the items will be easy to source from local hobby dealers. Any larger, and Im stuck buying online from o/s.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

guys,

based on your engines

the 120 will go nicely with the 71" version but that 3W75 will be too big for the 86" version but ok for the 107"

86" is a nice size and you will have no trouble getting it certified for flying

remember and R/C plane over 7kg in Australia MUST be certified by a registered inspector - this is a CASA requirement. Check with your local clubs as to who can do it for you. It must be inspected at frame up stage before any sheeting is applied and then again prior to 1st flight.

retracts. Talk to Peter Gow of Custom Retracts, he advertises in airborne and his number is 02 4654 5331. Makes n ice gear but allow a couple of months as he is pretty busy right now. I think the boomer had a retract system pretty much the same as the harvard which was copied on to the winjeel. Dont quote me on that though

cheers from 41C Brissy thanks goodness for aircon!
Old 02-21-2004, 07:10 PM
puma79

Guess Im gonna have to bite the bullet and purchase a new 120 f/s for this project. The only 120 f/s that i have is installed in my R2 Gee Bee racer (which will be flying in the next 2 weeks). The one that I have is an ASP 120 and im not overly happy with it. Its got about 40 mins of run time on it, and has a hard time developing enough power, probably wont go an ASP again.

Ive been checking out the retracts on offer from Robart - which are actually build for a 1/6 scale AT6 - which are identical to the requirements of the Boomerang. They are about $280 US plus have to get an air control kit for them. Actually, I have never installed retractable landing gear before, so this will be kind of fun - and expensive!

I also need to track down a place where I can purchase ultralightweight plywoods. I need to get a range of ply thicknesses for spars, ribs, sheeting, and cowlings. But so far, all my Sydney hobby dealers do not stock them. Any suggestions regarding woods, or do I have to purchase them from o/s.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

yeah I'm not real happy with my ASP .61 either

if you buy a FS120 have a look at the US hoppy shop prices, you will prob find it is cheaper to buy in the US then local - same thing with your retracts

hobby shops here put about 100% margin on everything

plywoods, not sure about that really. There is one mob advertises in airborne called Mr Plywood - try them 1st

2nd ask someone in NSW scale aqssoc or go to a few fields and ask around

cheers
Peter
Old 03-06-2004, 02:33 AM
torana1968

Hi,
I'm building from the same plans, have been for years.... but its comming along slowly. Would like to chat to anyone building from thee plans off list, email me at [email protected]. For the list.. its supposed to be a "60" size model when finished, it seems a bit big for a "60" whats everyone else think?
Roger
Old 03-28-2004, 03:20 AM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Hey guys,

I also have a copy of the Airborne mag Boomer plans. They have been sitting in a draw full of "to do" items for a few years. I am finally getting round to starting the project. I too want to scale up the plans, maybe to 1/5.

I am considering putting an SC FS400AR 5 cylinder radial up front, to give it a more realistic feel! I also plan to skin it in aluminium too. But upon reading all of the comments here I think I will need to review the rules on max model weights again. I will need to do some preliminary calculations to come up with a ball park weight before I start - if that is even possible!?

I have been away from the hobby for a few years and may need to brush up on all of the certification requirements, max. weights etc. Where can I go to find out this info - the MAAA website?

I would love to see this thread continue. If anyone knows of any other forums, websites or anything on this topic please let me know.

I can be contacted via [email protected]

Thanks,

James.

P.S. Peter Gow does have suitable retracts for this model. I contacted him about him a few years back. I can't remember the price.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:21 AM
torana1968

James,
Stick with the size it is, its pretty big. It will also get you back into "building" etc. The more Boomerangs about the better.
Roger
Old 03-28-2004, 02:25 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

The Boomerang is a nice plane indeed. Do you guys know whether the Airborne Boomerang plans are available from anywhere in Europe?

Thanks

Regards

Reuben
Old 03-29-2004, 03:29 AM
Merlin65

Reuben,
I'm sure the guys at Airborne Mag will send you a set if you email them. http://www.airbornemagazine.com.au/

Speaking of Boomerangs, did anyone attend the Tyabb air display earlier this month?
The sight of the Spit MKVIII, Mustang, Wirraway and Boomerang in formation would have been something to see!
--
Merlin
Old 03-29-2004, 06:26 AM
puma79

OK...My bulk timber packs are here! Which means I can get started. I have chosen to stay with the existing plan size, as its been a while since I have built scratch.

I will post photo's as this project moves along.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:25 PM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Merlin,

I am sure they would send it but it will probably take a few weeks to arrive. I have already lost a set of Robart retracts and tailwheel for my DC-3 in the post.

Anyway, I will see what I can do via either my relatives over there or maybe I might go direct. Probably the latter being the easiest.

Anyway, many thanks for replying.

Regards

Reuben
Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 AM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

puma79

it would be great if I could keep in contact with you. I have only just begun to do my research and will start to source materials etc in the coming months. It would be great if you could share your experience as much as possible. You can contact me directly at [email protected]. Otherwise I will keep checking back here. Please let me know if you start a new thread etc.

Regards,

James.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:51 PM
puma79

James,

No problems at all. After careful consideration, I decided not to scale-up the plans. So I will be building off the standard plan sheets. Is anyone else building a blow-up of the airborne plans? Powerplant will be a 120 f/s and I guess its gonna drive 8+ servos. I spoke with Peter Gow only a couple of days ago, and yes he has gear that will fit the standard plans. Harvard/Wirraway gear. I have just purchased a complete retract kit from him for my 94" Kittyhawk. Pricey, but Im told his gear is gold so... its worth paying.

I hope to commence some of the wing this weekend... if I do I will post photo's. One thing is for sure, the flap assembly on this bird is a little complex, and will take some thinking out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.