Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dan, I have the 1.50 set up to go again but we're having moocho big storms. Maybe tomorrow. It will be with a Mejzlick 16x8, I only had one Graupner 16x8.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:57 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Dan, I have the 1.50 set up to go again but we're having moocho big storms. Maybe tomorrow. It will be with a Mejzlick 16x8, I only had one Graupner 16x8.

I couldn't find my 16 X8 propeller. The 18 X 8 is more than ideal for a 150 but it makes for good comparative power output compared to my various 180 prototypes. A 16 X 8 will allow the FA-150 engine to spool farther up into its power band.

Don't expect a significant boost in power output. There will probably be some, but it will be slight.

The big improvements will be in fuel economy, lower reliable idle, easier flip starts & over all better user friendliness. CDI will allow engine tuning (like higher CRs) that will allow higher output W/O the ill manners associated W/GI. My 12.8:1 FA-180 was psychotic on GI.

If you want to do comparative tests, after you get it tuned for CDI, you can simply disconnect the module, swap in the glow plug & retune the carburetor making notes on the settings so you can return to the CDI settings.

Comparing RPMs from one day to the next is fraught W/pitfalls as it can vary greatly W/varying atmospheric conditions.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 06-14-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:27 AM
slamn sammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys don't get me wrong! I love satio! I have a 91and a 50. The 50 is not in anything. I was just saying cost is (MY) bottom line! The Satio is the best four-cycle out there as for my money! BUT! The cost fuel is getting high! I have started using Powermaster 15% and where getting it here in Arkansas for $20.00 and 10% for $17.95 where Omaha and Coolpower is going for $27-37.00 a gal. I was just reading the revue on the Grate Planes Decathlon and is said that the DLE35RA was perfect for it and as for fuel cost, I'm retired and cost is everything to me. Two gal's, of gas cost me around $8.00 with oil and there no mess on my plane's. I like thew sound of the four-cycle. Just got some Ryobe four-cycle weed-eater engines that run no gas with on oil mix, also I have two briggs & Stratton four-cycle weed-eater engines that will run on gas with no oil mix that I have been testing on the bench that will turn a 20X10 prop @ 5700 RPM and a 16X10 @ 7700 RPMs. with out a prop i'm getting 8000 RPMs. Ageen! I'm not knocking Satio!

Last edited by slamn sammy; 06-14-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:33 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by slamn sammy
Just got some Ryobe four-cycle weed-eater engines that run no gas with on oil mix
Those are good engines for weed eater use. I used to run mine all day clearing brush. The clutch went out and there are no replacements. Lots of low end grunt for sure. The engine didn't make it in the move here a few years back and I regret that now. It was a little touchy to restart when hot.

I'm betting that you meant to say they run ON gas with NO oil mix, right?
Old 06-14-2014, 02:48 PM
FNQFLYER

16x8 on a 150, that is the size I use on my Texaco 65. Re fuel don't you yanks mix your own? Lots cheaper here, mine is always fresh (when I don't forget) and I save around 20% on costs. Outlay to get the right measuring equipment is minimal and the only problem for me (and mates) is getting good quality nitro. But one can get that from our friendly drag racing fraternity. The watered down crap out of china is a problem best avoided.
As an aside I discovered that my son in law (of marathon / triathalon persuasion) still has an almost pristine 50 in his house. He is having problems with his electronically geared titanium and carbon velocopede that I might be able help him with for a consideration. So fingers crossed I see him today
Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Rudolph Hart

Sammy i believe your government subsidizes fuel costs quite considerably.Here in western australia we pay around 55 bucks a gallon for 10% glo fuel and around seven dollars a gallon for gas.The subject of using fourstroke weed eater engines comes up every now and then here too.Weight was one issue if i remember right,think there were others.

Fnq if the son in law sold his pushbike (pushy/velocipede) he'd be able to buy heaps of saito's you could 'test run' with a view to passing that knowledge on to him...then that would be one less pushy rider to dodge up in the hills on a sunday morning.Is it legal to ride two or more abreast round blind corners over here???

ps i think selling the pushy would just transfer the problem rather than minimise it..perhaps the game department could issue tags for them.

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 06-14-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:52 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a plane for my Saito 100 GK, so what prop should I use? Its going on a 1/7th P-51
Old 06-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Rudolph Hart

14x10 apc pattern
Old 06-15-2014, 04:18 AM
slamn sammy

I hear you Oldfart! Ya, I get it, I have not tested the Ryobe yet? have not had the time to tair one down yet. l know there heavy and would not put one in a Edge or ? But! a club be Ok! if glow fuel was $55 a gal here l would have to play with the toy my fother gave me! LOL.... The govermment sucks as life it's slef! I retired and pushing 60, Have had to meny surgerys, l used to race and trail ride ATVs. I had to retire racing at 43, chasing kids got to hard for me! At 53 l crashed (BIG TIME) broke meny bones and wife made me give up my ridding, so, all l got left to do is my RC airplanes.Glue is getting high, Gas is getting high, food is getting high! I miss work, BUT! No one will hire an broken down OLD FART! LOL....... I know it's comming to the time where l can't do this any more and l don't know what i'm going to do? Got to cut where l can, thats why l like gas. l like big planes. l fly anything from yard sticks to 35% 3D and scale. Just have to do what we can do and hope the good lord keeps me hanging there! Happy Fothers Day to all! Stay out of the trees and may your glue never dry up.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

my wife went and bought a new washer and dryer without informing me. no new Saito's for me
Old 06-15-2014, 04:59 AM
slamn sammy

Thats where I'm lucky! My brother came up one weekend and we wen't flying. on the way home he keep'd giving me flack about me buying airplanes! (HAD NEW WIFE) we walked in the door and before l could get out "HONY I'M HOME" she told me that "YOU NEED TO CALL THIS GUY IN HOT SPRINGS AND GO PICK UP TWO PLANES I BOUGHT" My brother head the floor! LOL :-) He don't give me crap any more! See, She's retired U.S. Air force. She was a F4 engine tech, she can talk airplanes with the best of them! One year for Christmas l got a Top Flight Gaint scale P 40,TFGS P47 and a Spektrum DX8 radio System. l was a good boy that year! (l had shoulder surgery that year, l could not get into trouble) LOL..... Our club made me club President and club Secatery-trasuer. Works out good for me! And as for as the washer and dryer, I bought mine a weed-eater and vacuum cleaner. Happy Fathers Day!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:54 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by SigMan
my wife went and bought a new washer and dryer without informing me. no new Saito's for me
Sounds to me like she owes you a new Saito.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:00 AM
slamn sammy

LOL! We have talked about it! Like to have a Radial for my P47, Man that would be sweet! ';-]
Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM
FNQFLYER

Old Fart had dinner in son in law last night, was is usual self (*****) and at the suggestion of passing on the 50 it was a case of its mine and it can stay in drum until you give me $1000 for it (seeing as how they don't make them any more. Nuff said, unfortunately another good engine that will rot away. bicyclists herre in Brisbane are even more stupid than in Cairns just spred out more (no more comments please). BTB when are you coming over next year, what events you plan on visiting??
Old 06-15-2014, 02:54 PM
FNQFLYER

One good thing about an "old a/c engineer" is that people who have old a/c suddenly find the need for your services just like people who work on old cars. Distributor, what is that, amazing the looks on young uns when you solve there problems.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:17 PM
SrTelemaster150

Default FA-91S Wingsmaker 1/5 Scale J-3Cub

I spent the afternoon mounting the FA-91S on the Wingsmaker 1/5 scale J-3 cub.

The clear plastic cowl overlay is an awesome feature of this ARF. It allows one to see where to cut & after the alterations are done you just slip it over the nicely painted fiberglas cowl & mark the areas to be removed making allowances for any errors made W/the clear plastic cowl.

I had to cut clearance for the rocker covers. Since they protrude almost completely @ the forward portion, the 1mm shorter height of the FA-82 will still require cutting, especially when one considers that the front portion of the FA-82 ahead of the cylinder C/L is 4mm shorter.

So, no advantage in purchasing the smaller engine.

The 1mm taller FA-115 will fit in the same cut-outs & motor mount holes so I may opt to purchase one of those if the FA-91S doesn't provide the vertical performance I am seeking. I may just opt for buying yet another Saito in any case.

If the nose requires ballast W/the FA-91S I will definately want to have the additional 66gr of the FA-115 up there. So far, I've never added nose ballast to a plane yet.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:47 AM
Rudolph Hart

Can you do a web search and see who is flying the same j3 with what engine re weight and hp ?
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Old Fart had dinner in son in law last night, was is usual self (*****) and at the suggestion of passing on the 50 it was a case of its mine and it can stay in drum until you give me $1000 for it (seeing as how they don't make them any more. Nuff said, unfortunately another good engine that will rot away. bicyclists herre in Brisbane are even more stupid than in Cairns just spred out more (no more comments please). BTB when are you coming over next year, what events you plan on visiting??
Respect mate,no comment on the 50.Yes am going to try and make it over there next year with a saito to fly.We were going to drive over with a trailer full but as you know it's 3,000k's of mostly boring nullabor plain so will fly rent and drive.For some reason i thought you were in northern nsw somewhere as that was where i was headed so i can see the temora aviation museum as well.Would probably just take the midget on as handluggage the 115 is a nice engine to fly but usually fly something else first as a warm up.

Sammy thats one of the funnier things i've ever read.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Hobbsy

Dan, I have resurrected your namesake plane I started about 3 years ago. It will get a Saito when its finished. I need to turn the plans over and oil them to build the right wing, left wing, stabilizer and wing mount nearly finished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele 150 wings 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2005661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele 150 wings 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	2005662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele 150 wings 004 (Small).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2005663  
Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 AM
slamn sammy

LOL! ';-D You know? Like a good (Plane) a good ((Woman) Is hard to find! Sometimes a woman and a plane can be a BIG pain in the A**! LOL....BUT! When you find a good one, you want to play with it all the time! When l was a kid for Christmas my father wanted to buy us (My brother and l) toy's and my mother wanted to get us clouse! So we would get pants with holes cut in the pockets. l'll let you fuger out what the holes is for! LOL..... The funny part, I'm 59yrs old, never been marred. She asked me to marry her? l don't see what she see's in me? BUT! I said YES! So i'm getting marred in the fall, so whats next? Frist I retired, Now I'm getting marred, whats next? What scared me about retiring, every one l have seen retiring has past away shortley afterword! I retired in 09 and i'm still around and everyone l see get marred are not a year later? But l try to do something all the time, Just hard to get off of the couch! I'm like a cotten ball watting on the wind, when l get rolling it's hard to stop. I wast the day with Tv and when I fill like it, when l start working on planes, before l know it's 2:30 in the moring. l work to a stopping point and set back to look at my work and l see something to do and before l know it the sun is coming up? As lone as l have a good plane and a good woman and health l'm happy and l RELLY starting my day with you guys! Keep it coming! If you go to my gallery, you can see l stay bissy! l will take 12 planes to the field and may take 12 home with no harm and some l may bring 12 shaks of crap for the burn pile! one thing for sur, l always got something to do. Well my sope box just broke so l'll stop bending your ears and burning yr eye's. Keep on flying! Later : ';-}
Old 06-16-2014, 12:54 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Dan, I have resurrected your namesake plane I started about 3 years ago. It will get a Saito when its finished. I need to turn the plans over and oil them to build the right wing, left wing, stabilizer and wing mount nearly finished.
Put that FA-150 CDI on it! That's what I started out with. It balances out perfectly, it has enough power to knife edge & go vertical for 300'.

If you want a sport flyer, reduce the wing incidence & dihedral.

Best trainer there is if built to plans.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Can you do a web search and see who is flying the same j3 with what engine re weight and hp ?
I've found YT videos of the plane W/FA-82s, but no FA91-S.

It should have a similar thrust to weight ratio as this 1/4 scale W/an FA-180.

http://youtu.be/tN1_-xmVLIo The FA-115 has the same case footprint as the FA-91s. It is mm taller from the mount & 1mm longer to the rear which I have accounted for in the mount.

I'll just fly it W/ the FA-91S & if I want more power, an FA-115 will drop right in. I can shift battery packs to balance the heavier engine if needed. Actually, if the FA-91S won't balance W/O nose ballast I will definitely have to get an FA-115. I use reciprocating mass for balance, not lead.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 06-16-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:30 PM
FNQFLYER

Old art, I live just west of Amberly air force base. Between Ipswich and Towoomba. Good museum at Amberly and the Zuicoli outfit at Towoomba has warbirds as well including the T6 that started the modern warbird movement in Oz. Know a little about that one. (the a/c) Also there is Caboolture and Sandora etc for oldies and lastly Caloundra mseum, they have 3 of the old a/c I have actually worked on plus a number of examples of ones I have worked on over the years.
The Nationals (if they happen) are on over Easter but I'll probably be in Canowindra NSW (politics and about people feeding others egos etc) and we have the races and big scale events, all at Calvert if you are interested.

I have just started back building. A Great Planes Super Sporster 40. It is a little old, I bought it new in Hong Kong and the catalogue inside is for the 1992 range. It was to get the Saito 50 (my son in laws) but now my arm has been twisted and the 56 is going into it. In addition there are one or 2 O/T airframes that are going to be started again. Lifes good even if it is a tad cold. I am having trouble getting used to single diget temperatures but hopefully I will survive.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Rudolph Hart

Ok i know where you mean now,awesome motorcycle roads remember them well.Been out in the shed running a saito on the bench as flying is right out of the question.Freezing cold with gale force winds (GAIL!..stop it!!,it's a pommy/honourable englishman joke) and heavy rain.After running the engine my hands are freezing so i'm warming them up with a glass of scotch and a hot cigar.

It may have been asked here before so bear with me guys.Is anybody checking exhaust temps with an infra red gauge? and if so what prop and nitro were you using on a saito single,any size.

ps is there any advantage/disadvantage to dropping a little nitro into a saito gas engine ??
Old 06-17-2014, 04:22 AM
Hobbsy

Pete, about 10 years ago my brothers and I went to the Expo Center where the Indiana Pacers play to a Race Car equipment expo. I bought a quart of nitro methane. The instructions say to use one once per gallon of gasoline. I put an oz into a gallon of WildCat 15% Premium Extra. I noticed no improvement. One thing I did notice was that the engines exhaust would burn my eyes and nose.

PS, I met Johnny Rutherford there and talked to him for quite a while, years ago he was the team mate of my English name sake David Hobbs who talks funny.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 06-17-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.