Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good morning Pete, as you know I had a 2.20 for a while and it was a great engine, at least on the bench. I sold the giant Cessna 182 I was going to put it on, so, I sold the engine too. It was a smooth runner. If it were a vertical twin with opposite piston strokes it would have a neat John Deere like sound at low rpm and be smother yet. I no longer have a picture of my 2.20.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:48 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If two 220's hooked together sounded twice as loud as a 200 ti i'd be happy.I don't rember you 182 cessna but i do remember you were trying a pump on your saito 220? at one stage.Here's a picture of mine.Woops hit the wrong button cough
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 220 007.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	549.3 KB
ID:	2228100  

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 08-16-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:07 AM
Hobbsy

There is a 2.20 for sale in the MarketPlace, $220.00 shipped, not a bad deal.

What size prop is that a 20x6 maybe, thanks, Dave

That pump was a waste of money, too hard to get set right, it was for the large carb option which the 2.20 was fine without.

Name:	lg-1313108-1-6844.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2228102  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-16-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Hobbsy, that should haul something big around!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
16x6 @ 9,000 rpm.
Too close to the redline if it unloads much.

CR
Old 08-16-2017, 08:30 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
that little engine will turn that at 9,000rpm. Cool vary cool. I should be able to get some vertical out of it.
edited,, let me tell you about that Saito 125,,,less mufflers>, the 125 weigh only 1.45oz more than my OS 61FX,,, now you have to add the mufflers

now that is the Cat's meow

sorry for the edit, I got the numbers wrong

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-16-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 PM
the Wasp

Too close to the redline if it unloads much.
well we went over that subject in another thread on another page, good things were said, proof of Unloading and RPM numbers was shown with telemetry, but I don't think the mater was really settled,

in the end the only thing I see that can be a problem with over revving a bit is that the valves could float,, but no one really knows at what RPM the valves will float at

personally my guess is that the "RPM Range" number Saito recommends are Static numbers, and the valves wont float until they reach somewhere around 13,000,, as said it's a guess and LOL that's all I got LOL

Jim
Old 08-16-2017, 09:47 PM
the Wasp

oops oops oops I forgot,,

something else I know about Valve Float,,, is >>> when a valve floats the spring weakens, and at that the valve will start to float at a lower and lower RPM every time floating occurs, so this is another reason why I think Saito uses a spring will hold up to a higher RPM than just 11,000 or 12,000

Jim
Old 08-17-2017, 02:13 AM
Hobbsy

Under certain conditions valves can float due to a resonance/(guitar string like vibration) that is in sympathy with or in harmony with certain frequencies at certain rpm of the valve train. Our valve springs are mighty short for,that to happen at our rpm. Sometimes it's called surge, it's like a shiver that flows from one end of the springs to the other. This "dead" spring that is reverse wound inside the live spring is called a damper and serves to resist surge.. Dan may have them in his,Mopar drag car.

Name:	312-P3690933.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2228244  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-17-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:21 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I need some help, probably professional. Now have been collecting Saitos for a few years now and I think now i need to get more organized. I was cleaning of my bench i do my engine rebuilds on and I found a saito 45 in the box I forgot i had. Now only say this because i just bought one to add to my collection. Now i have three. ( i like to get engines in pears, one for flying and one for looking). So what you think do i need help or what.

Also. Can't wait to put that 125 in my hog bipe it should be fun to watch. Thanks for all the information.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 AM
Hobbsy

Nah, you're practically normal. I have far more Saitos than I have planes or the room for the planes.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 AM
Rudolph Hart

Jim the way i read what dave just said about valve springs was,remember what the middle and then the ends of a guitar string looks like just after it has been picked.No? look closer i think you raised a good thing about top rpm for saito fourstrokes.I have the engine pamphlet for my saito 30 and it lists a 30 saito blue head for rc cars that revs to 22000,i'll take a photo and post it for anyone who wants to see it.

Dave that gave me a good belly laugh,a saito 440 inline twin on nitro sounds like a john deere tractor throttled back is as likely as you fitting a pto (power take off) unit to the side of your harley so you could stop and dig the odd random posthole whenever you felt a bit frisky,and now that i think about it..
Old 08-17-2017, 03:56 AM
Captcrunch44

That would be vary cool. A 440 inline twin niece!!
With all the saitos i have i need to start getting some twins. But boy i just have a hard time with the prices they want for the twins.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Still kicking myself on passing on a new 300 twin for $300. I too have more engines than planes, majority are Saitos. I do have an oddball, a 2 stroke 90 OS, doubt I would ever use it, but I have it.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:48 AM
Captcrunch44

Ok question
i now have three of these two piece head designs. Two 45's one 40. One is in Jr. Kadet and runs great. All of them look like they were bench run and then put away. Way such a phenomenon with the two piece head?

Yeah
and i two don't think I could ever build enough planes for the engines i have. Also 95% saitos and a few 2 stroke for that occasional sport plane that I don't really like or want to go stupid fast.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:36 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

16x6 @ 9,000 rpm.
Some 125s insist on a 15x6" APC turning about 9,400 RPM. I don't know if the factory still lets those slip by or not.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 AM
blw

It's doing well but too slowly to suit me, I see the hand guy again Thursday and I should be done with him. I took the last antibiotic and 6 pm, been off the pain pills since Wednesday. Progress is happening. Thanks, Dave
I couldn't get off the sofa without pain pills, and these don't do a good job. I may be looking for a pain management doctor and stronger stuff. The wheels turn slowly in medicine.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:51 AM
spaceworm

Default pain mgmt and collateral effects.

When I took off.the last joint of my pointer and ring fingers I took Percocet for two days and then left for the ocean beach. The pain was tolerable, but the OIC kept me down for a week. That was before they recognized the effects of opiods, and the SFB beach pharm. would offer me no relief. No more of that sh#t for.me, ever.
Originally Posted by blw
I couldn't get off the sofa without pain pills, and these don't do a good job. I may be looking for a pain management doctor and stronger stuff. The wheels turn slowly in medicine.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:34 PM
acdii

No more Xanax for me. Lost an entire month. I would like to have something to ease my back pains though. They get so bad at times that my chest muscles contract and I feel like I am having a heart attack. When I actually do have one, how will I know?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Captcrunch44

Its IBUPROFEN for me every morning just to get out of bed. And every night so i can sleep.
Boy what a bunch of basket cases we all are. No wonder we all build planes it takes the pain of life away for a bit.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:34 PM
acdii

I was doing that and Aleve everyday and was warned that it can damage the liver if taken daily, so if you do, get blood tests done regularly. Neither do a thing for me anymore since its all nerve damage causing my pains. I did have it under control with exercise, but after the crash last January, it has returned with a vengeance. Only thing that helps now is pressure along the spine by massage.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 PM
blw

Hydrocodone is the only thing that will kill the pain from neuropathy for me. I've been taking it about 3 years now. It works. I have constant gout pain, no flare ups, but pain every day. Well, I do get flare ups and those are intense and severe. Hit your thumb knuckle with a hammer and that's like a flare up. I get gout/neuropathy everywhere- knees really bad, ankles, feet every day, leg muscles, lower back, shoulders, hands,etc. It just comes on randomly. Steroids work like magic, but you can only take a few doses a week or you ruin your body. 10mg of Prednisone will kill all gout pain in less than an hour. People going through chemo get peripheral neuropathy like mine, only much worse and Methadone works for some of those patients. I know several who say it kills all the pain.

Do a Google search for peripheral neuropathy and marijuana. I did that once out of curiosity and wow- millions of hits.

I don't consider managing this kind of pain as being a weakling. I want to get up and have a life.

Last edited by blw; 08-17-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Captcrunch44

Blw and Acdii
don't feel bad for one minute about taking something just so you can function. I have two friends that have real problems with there backs. One served in the US Army has a medic,and was in a building when a safe slid out off a collapsed floor and pinned him against a wall and pretty much destroyed his entire back and a few other things so he takes stuff that I can't pronounce. The other is my own wife she was working home health as an RN and had twins at the same time so between the twins and the heavy stuff she was carrying and moving patients by herself. She slipped two disc in her back and three surgeries later she still has nerve damage and takes stuff I can't pronounce.
I should say i am pretty lucky thats all i have to take to get through the day. By the way after sig I spent two days in hospital with heat stroke and they did a load of test on me and my kidneys and liver functions are fine so they said go ahead and keep taking the ibuprofen.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by blw
Hydrocodone is the only thing that will kill the pain from neuropathy for me. I've been taking it about 3 years now. It works. I have constant gout pain, no flare ups, but pain every day. Well, I do get flare ups and those are intense and severe. Hit your thumb knuckle with a hammer and that's like a flare up. I get gout/neuropathy everywhere- knees really bad, ankles, feet every day, leg muscles, lower back, shoulders, hands,etc. It just comes on randomly. Steroids work like magic, but you can only take a few doses a week or you ruin your body. 10mg of Prednisone will kill all gout pain in less than an hour. People going through chemo get peripheral neuropathy like mine, only much worse and Methadone works for some of those patients. I know several who say it kills all the pain.

Do a Google search for peripheral neuropathy and marijuana. I did that once out of curiosity and wow- millions of hits.

I don't consider managing this kind of pain as being a weakling. I want to get up and have a life.
Is that something like intense pain in the fingers from pressure like opening a bottle? I also have very sensitive skin on my left arm and tendonitis in my left elbow. My hands get tingling at times when driving. I also get stabbing pains in my fingertips at times. Should probably bring this up at my next HRA.

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Blw and Acdii
don't feel bad for one minute about taking something just so you can function. I have two friends that have real problems with there backs. One served in the US Army has a medic,and was in a building when a safe slid out off a collapsed floor and pinned him against a wall and pretty much destroyed his entire back and a few other things so he takes stuff that I can't pronounce. The other is my own wife she was working home health as an RN and had twins at the same time so between the twins and the heavy stuff she was carrying and moving patients by herself. She slipped two disc in her back and three surgeries later she still has nerve damage and takes stuff I can't pronounce.
I should say i am pretty lucky thats all i have to take to get through the day. By the way after sig I spent two days in hospital with heat stroke and they did a load of test on me and my kidneys and liver functions are fine so they said go ahead and keep taking the ibuprofen.
How did you manage to overheat?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing we're comparing doctors notes . 1shot disc in the neck and 3 in the lower back . Surgeons won't go near it as they say if they fuse more than 2 and u will eventually have issues . So I've been on morphine since the early 2000's . I'm not to proud to say that without that stuff I'm in bed crying in pain . I couldn't care less if I die 20 years early . I couldn't last a week without that stuff , I can lead a reasonable life now . Its not like I get off my face on the stuff either .
When people say they have a bad back I ask them what pain pills there on and if they say none I have a little chuckle to myself cause they have no idea . Like the ones who say I would never let a surgeon near their back . If u truly have a bad back u would let them operate on u with a axe ! Been to the pain clinic and all that ,had a double blind test where u had to go off your meds before hand . I was in tears before that little experiment was over and swallowed pain pills like candy on the way home lying on the back seat of the car . I will never go through that again .I know the docs try everything not to give them to you and I think there strategy is to give u aspirin if your happy with that they send u on your way . But if u throw them at them and start swearing they realise things are a bit more serious .When your on the pain pills u will never take taking a dump for granted ever again !!!
​​​​​​ Old Fart , I would like to see that car engine , I know OS did a high reving car engine . Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.