Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:45 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

invertman:

The Saito engines are normally rough both at idle and in transition until they are broken in, and the mixture dialed in. If yours is answering the throttle fine other than the roughness you probably have enough time on it to start leaning the low end.

Bill.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:27 PM
invertman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:59 PM
wkunkel
My Feedback: (8)

Bill,
You were sure right about Dennis Davenport. He's a very helpful guy. He couldn't do enough to help me and he found all the parts I was looking for. The aluminum gasket for the 150 was in the 120 engine gasket kit and not in the 150 engine gasket kit.
Also, the number SAI 120 S 37 is the cam gear washer. But he did find me the rocker spacer with the tab. He's the man !
Thanks
Wally
Old 06-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the info Chris fr.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:23 PM
T28RON
My Feedback: (32)

I have the Saito 180 (broken in) in a CAP 232 by world models and would like to add smoke. I have the Du-Bro Super Smoker Cat # 225. I see how to install it but am looking for some advise as to; is this going to work and if someone has some special instructions or advice prior to installation? If this is not the one I should be using, is there a way to install a smoke system with out the tank by using the exhaust? I thought of running a hose from the rear case outlet nipple to the muffler??????? Thanks

Ron
Old 06-07-2006, 05:01 PM
William Robison

Wally:

Glad Dennis at Horizon Hobbies was able to help you. I’ve never found him to anything but eager to help.

Also, called Paul at rc-bearings.com earlier today, he was nice enough to thank me for recommending him to you. Ordered a bunch of bearings at the time, that was the reason for calling him.

If you feel like it, you can give him a plug in your next post.

Dennis and Paul are two of the few remaining really good people in the business. We need to encourage them whenever we can.

Bill.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
William Robison

Ron:

The smoke system works by pumping oil into the exhaust, using the heat to vaporize it. The Saito engines do it very well, as do most other four stroke engines.

Problem arises in that there is only one nipple on the muffler, normally used for tank pressure, so you need to put a second nipple in for the smoke oil. You may have one in the kit with the pump, if not almost any nipple available will work.

Other than that, you don’t have to do anything but mount all the bits and pieces.

Bill.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Dave :^)

Hi all,
i'm new to RCU but have been modelling for 32 years. As most of the locals to me are OS fans (I did once have a '40FSR) and I've been running Saitos since they became available in the UK it's nice to find others who appreciate them. I've just fitted my early FA65 into a Seagull Harmon Rocket III and it's peachy!
RegardsDave :^)
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
William Robison

Dave :^):

You are our latest entry from across the pond, you are now member #305 in "Club Saito."

Now, if you will visit your tailor he will fit you with a nice straight jacket. You need not spend a "Bond Street" price, a cheaper one will do fine.

Haw.

Welcome.

Bill.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
loughbd
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can remove me from your "club" I want nothing more to do with a one way forum. If it no matter what anyone says you pretty much contradict them. If I learned anything here, it is to never question the resident expert.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:36 PM
dvr

Horizon called today with the news regarding my Saito 180. They took the engine apart and found several signs of severe vibration that they could not identity. Engine only had seven flights plus break-in so they informed me that they would be sending me a new engine after they had completed a run to verify that it was functioning properly. They said the other engine was basically being thrown in the trash and that it was just a "bad engine" for whatever reason, a manufacturing lemon so to speak. I am VERY IMPRESSSED with the Horizon rep that contacted me (TROY) and explained the situation in a prompt and professional manner. EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM HORIZON!! I'm still skeptical about the Saito 180 product itself and only time will tell if this was a blip or a true engineering and design issue. I'm willing to give the Saito 180 another shot based upon the response from Horizon.
Thx Horizon for your excellent service
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Sarge1947

Ol Betsy Saito .65 still needs some help please...
Ive been able to get my ol Saito .65 running with Yalls help. Problems that remain are...
1. Idle was at a very low rpm with 8 stroking and lotsa smoke. I leaned it down to a much higher idle rpm but after checking the ls needle turns it is now set at about 1/8th turn open or nearly closed.
2. Transition to max rpm is still iffy and 2 times today, at high rpm, on the test stand, it chuffed, popped the prop loose and died. This after I tightened the prop nut with a 1/4 inch ratchet. Bummer, take the spinner off, position the prop, tighten the nut, replace spinner.
Yo Troops, Ol Sarge needs more help!! Thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:57 PM
William Robison

Ol' Sarge's Ol' Betsy 65 is starving at idle. Open the LS neele a little at a time until the backfiring tendency goes away, and it comes off idle properly.

Bill.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Sarge1947

Bill,
Opening the LS needle will slow down the idle speed from peak rpm. If this is acceptable what rpm, by the tach, should I be looking for?
Thanks, Sarge
Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 PM
William Robison

Sarge:

With the idle adjusted for max rpm the engine doesn't have the reserve fuel needed when the throttle is opened. The older autos with carbs had accelerator pumps jut for this reason. When the throttle is opened the air flow increases immediately, but the fuel flow lags behind – the engine goes lean and either quits, stumbles, or backfires violently.

Lacking the accelerator pump we have to have this excess fuel at idle to get quick throttling. If you always open the throttle slowly you can run the idle mixture at a more lean setting.

Yes, the idle rpm drop is OK, and it's expected. Use the transmitter throttle trim to maintain the rpm, with the FA-65 and a "Normal" prop it should idle around 2K rpm, up to 2200 rpm is still all right.

Bill.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:50 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

William,

Since I am running a fuel pump on my Saito 150, and the fuel pressure is constant through the entire run, can I adjust my mixture for max RPM and fly it that way ?

JettPilot
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 AM
William Robison

Jett:

With the pump you can indeed peak the HS mixture, but you will still need to be wary of overheating. For this reason you’re safer still running a little rich at high speed, although a 200 rpm drop is usually enough with the pump.

The idle still needs to be a bit on the rich side as I explained in the earlier post.

Some may ask about adjusting the fuel pressure on the pump. The way the Saito carb is made, with sleeve metering for the LS, it is not sensitive to fuel pressure beyond making the HS needle really sensitive when the pressure is high. If your FA-150 is running with the HS needle at least three turns out your pressure is fine. You will find that adjusting the pressure to get the HS needle to four turns out makes carb adjustment much easier.

The engines smaller than the FA-120 seem to like the pressure adjusted for the HS around three turns open. I’ve not played with the new FA-125, but as its carb is “The Same†as the smaller engines I’d think three turns was “Right†for it also.

Bill.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:32 AM

Hi Bill, Sarge,
my '65 which runs a 13x6 APC prop has a nice low tickover although I couldn't tell you exactly how low, but on the fuel I have always used (5% nitro-2%castor-15% synthetic-78% methanol) with muffler pressure the HS needle is a constant 3 1/2 turns open year in year out. couldn't tell you about the LS setting as in 20 years I've never adjusted it. I know this won't help much but does confirm the 3 - 4 turn setting. The straight jacket you suggest might actually improve my flying Bill although I may have to come to the U.S. to get one in my size, hang on, I'll be there in August. I'll come round and borrow yours! ;^p
Old 06-09-2006, 10:18 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the info William,

My Saitos get cooled very well, I dont have any cowl on them at all. The GK versions look so good, I wouldnt want to cover them up

For my Saito 56 project, do you think I should use a VP-30 or the VP-20 ? Either one will fit on the model and they are both easy to setup, so I just want to use the one that will give me the most constant pressure.

JettPilot
Old 06-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Harleyflyer
My Feedback: (9)

I have a basic question about mounting the stock muffler for a new Saito 100. Should red locktite be used to make sure it stays on or will blue work??

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Old 06-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Stubshaft

I have the 1.00 / 1.20 / and 1.50 - big 4 strokes rule...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleyflyer

I have a basic question about mounting the stock muffler for a new Saito 100. Should red locktite be used to make sure it stays on or will blue work??

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Keith, use the blue. I actually don't even recommend that. But the red? No way. You will remove your threads along with the muffler if you ever try to remove it. [X(]
Old 06-10-2006, 08:19 PM
johnS555
My Feedback: (27)

Harleyflyer:
When you put the muffler on your 100, take note that one end of the pipe is tapered, that end goes into the engine, put 3 wraps of teflon tape around it first and turn it in to bottom out in the engine, then jam the nut down with the teflon that is left outside from screwing it into the head, that seales is from leaking fuel, and like the William says run it to hot and then tighten the jam nut, you can do the same on the muffler with the teflon and jam nut if you want to, works good, no locktite.......good luck......John
p.s. if you have plenty of room you can cut off the pipe quite a bit so the muffler is mounted closer to the engine also.......(just cut the nontapered end)
Old 06-10-2006, 08:47 PM
conchohoncho
My Feedback: (120)

To take something apart that is put together with locktite use heat. So it doesn't make a lot of sence to use it on an exauhst system. I use Permatex High=Temp RTV Silicone with good results.
Member #160 (as I remember)
Richard
Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Castor gunk works pretty good to hold the muffler on after the engine has run a while. (g)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.