Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:34 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

2018 Chevy Cruze
Three blades are no less efficient than two blades if properly chosen and in many cases more so.

Pete, this thing landed in our driveway Saturday pm with my wife in the left, (pilot's) seat, her first new car since 1997.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-14-2018 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-14-2018, 04:49 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

You have our sympathies Hobbsy! Just think of all the Saitos and the airplanes to go with them you could have bought! What a waste of money!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:57 AM
Hobbsy

Okey, it was a trade off, the Misterbishi Galant's engine with 240,000 miles on it blew up, that engine would have required a lot of Saito sacrifices too. The Saito 120 DP I bought a couple of weeks ago will have to keep me happy for a while. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to pay for the plans for the 77.5" Pawnee Brave. New Zealand not an easy place to send money apparently.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

I know how that is I just bought short kit and plans for a 75% Ziroli Staggerwing and now I'm waiting on delivery at the seller was in Texas. Bob is very up front on how long it takes to cut the kit and ship and he usually ships early so I can't complain.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Dave, I hope you have good luck with the new Chevy, I am a Chevy man from way back, I had 2 Novas, a 68 and a 71 SS, and a 68 Camaro SS, I love that old Chevy small block !

the last Chevy I/we owned was an 89 Z24, the mechanic said quote "oh I can fix it",, oh sure he can fix it, but it will be needing fixing again the next week, it would stall whenever it decided to, mostly just after the light turned green, or as you are pulling out of some spot,,,,, the dealer called me one time to come and get it, when I got there he said it didn't stall, and there was nothing wrong with it, so I said "really, give me the key", I got in the car and I turned the key 5 times and it stalled 5 times LOL LOL, needles to say they could never find the trouble and so they could never fix it, so I bought a Toyota, now Toyota's run like Saitos, well I went to the Chevy dealership to pic up a check for $800 from the pay off of the loan, when I walked in a salesman runs up to me, he thought I was looking to buy, as he runs up to me I say I deserve a congratulation, the salesman stuck his hand out and said congratulations, as I shook his hand he asked me what he was congratulating me for, and I pointed to my new week old Toyota 4-Runner and I said "see my new week old 4-Runner", well he must have felt like a ham,,, so the owner of the dealership brought me out the check and as he looked at my new 4-Runner he asked me "we didn't have anything that would have interest you",, and I said no Phil, you got me once on that pile of crap Z24, you will not get me again",,

you see I had to take the dealer to arbitration, and I lost, then I found it was Chevy that paid the arbitrator's fee, go figure,, well I took the arbitrator for a ride in the Z-24 and the car stalled 4 times in 6 miles, when he said he couldn't give me my money back I said "so that means the car will stall 8 times in 12 miles and 16 times in 24 miles and 32 times in 48 miles and they can not fix it and you are not going to give me my money back, he said sorry,,, that's when it hit me to ask him who pays his fee,,,, Chevy,,, so I looked at the guy from the dealership and the arbitrator and told them I was going to trade it for a Japanese car and never buy an American car again, and I have only bought Toyota since,

so guess what that Chevy dealer did 20 years later, bought a Toyota dealership and built a new building, then ten years later he bought a Keya dealership and built another building, well no one bought hes Keyas, and he sold the dealership and rented out his new building to Johndeer

BTW, I like Saito, I have 3 now, a 100, and a 100, and another 100..

Jim
my story is about 110 percent of something else

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-14-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 AM
Hobbsy

Well, I'm a little different, I haven't watched a NASCAR race since they put Toyota in it, Joe Gibbs should be shot as a traitor.

Do you still have the Saito 100 twin? Thanks
Old 08-14-2018, 09:01 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I know how that is I just bought short kit and plans for a 75% Ziroli Staggerwing and now I'm waiting on delivery at the seller was in Texas.
"75%" LOL wow, very cool, now you know that people have built 1/2 scale Corsairs and P-40s and fly "in" them, and your's will be 75%, so the question is>>>> are you going to be setting in it at the controls ??

Jim
Old 08-14-2018, 09:28 AM
the Wasp

QUOTE=Hobbsy;12455077]Well, I'm a little different, I haven't watched a NASCAR race since they put Toyota in it, Joe Gibbs should be shot as a traitor.
Do you still have the Saito 100 twin? Thanks[/QUOTE]

LOL I agree about the Toyota in NASCAR, that's nuts, they must have been payed off or they look to the fact that the Toy is made inside the USA and many American cars today are made outside the USA, crazy never the less..

yes Dave, I still have the 100T, I will not let that one go, it's mine mine mine now LOL, it's going to go into my 4-Star 60 if I ever get it finished, surly next Spring, as I said the plane will look like an old 30s racer, I was going to have stickers made up and call it "Charley Horse", it sounds old, right ?,, but the other night I came up with a name I think I like more "Howling Matilda", I thought that would be fitting for an old golden era racer, funny too

Jim
Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Hobbsy

I had a Bruce Tharpe Venture 60 a few years, much like the Four Star, in fact I think he designed the Four Star series. The Venture 60 weighs about half as much though. It flew with a Saito 72. The right aileron servo failed, the dual aileron servos was my own doing.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have had a few Toyotas, hated them all. They felt like cheap POS. The Prius was the worst driving car I ever drove, and the Camry, who was the idiot who designed that interior? The center stack was so bright that the car could not be driven in fog unless the instrument lights were turned completely off. It too was a Hybrid and you could hear that car 500' away when regen braking. Traded it for a Ford Fusion and was like night and day. The Fusion was quiet, and better built, and drove much better. Had 4 Fusions since then, all but one, never buy a first off the line new model, ever, as it was trouble, but the others were great, troublefree cars.

My current F150 though is a POS, my 2014 F150 was awesome. I have a brand new 2018 on order and should have it next week. I sued Ford and won over Breach of Warranty, and the settlement will offset most of the depreciation on trade, so was worth the hassle. If this new one, which is a special order, is anything like my last special order, it will be awesome too.

I had a couple Chevies too, but they were about as inspiring to drive as ago cart with 3 wheels and a hit and miss engine. My last one was an 03 Silverado with Quadrasteer, and it handled like crap, and left me stranded with a flat tire because the mechanism that holds the spare tire was corroded, and would not release. Stupid design, they have not learned the lesson of metallurgy, and how dissimilar metals tend to corrode with an electrolyte. Remember Vega with the Aluminum block and iron head? Now they are building their trucks with thin steel inner structure and aluminum skins. Let see how long those will last!

Wanted to try a Ram, but after that Fusion fiasco, not ever buying a first year model ever again, even if it is Saito powered!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by the Wasp
so here is where I am at with the Mustang, I have 3 engines I can use and each engine gives me a different problem I have to get around, what engine would you go with ?
Convert it to electric and you won't have to cut the cowl!

CR
Old 08-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I have built three of the Four Star 60s and a couple of the 40s. The first 60 had a Saito 90 but the next two were powered by a YS 91AC , my first 91AC. Wow that really woke the Four Star 60 up!

I jave a Venture 60 kit in the box to build this winter. That one is getting just a simple Saito FA .72.
For now anyhow.....

Bruce designed the Four Star 40 and 120 but not the 60. I think Maxey Hester designed the 60.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-14-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:53 PM
the Wasp

Charley, I got to have a fire breather in it, LOL

Gary, on my 4-Star 60 I am going to clip the wings down to 66 inches and round the ends

Jim
Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Well, I'm a little different, I haven't watched a NASCAR race since they put Toyota in it, Joe Gibbs should be shot as a traitor.
Well, you would have to give up drag racing too Dave. I mean, I know where you are coming from and I would have agreed some years back. But, the big 3 are getting a bit of a free ride on that 'made in America' thing as my Tacoma is all built in the U.S. Same goes for Camry and I'm sure everyone knows they defended their place in NASCAR by saying they were the only car still made in America. You know, it's kind of like Honda cleaning up in Formula 1 racing. I won't ever watch F1 again, but for a different reason. The Indy thing in 06 or 07. I grew up thinking F1 & drag racing was the only thing to watch with 4 wheels.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:14 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I had a Bruce Tharpe Venture 60 a few years, much like the Four Star, in fact I think he designed the Four Star series. The Venture 60 weighs about half as much though. It flew with a Saito 72. The right aileron servo failed, the dual aileron servos was my own doing.
I used to swap email with Bruce Tharp. He's a great guy and he had some good Claude McCollough (sp?) stories. I asked about his front edge of the wings design being a turbulator wing and he said he never considered that in the designs. It was to save parts count.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:15 PM
Rudolph Hart

2018 Chevy Cruze
Three blades are no less efficient than two blades if properly chosen and in many cases more so.

Pete, this thing landed in our driveway Saturday pm with my wife in the left, (pilot's) seat, her first new car since 1997.
Did she duck when you took the photo dave? you be careful now,it can make a woman feel forty years younger...Thank gawd it does'nt have a rag top,next thing you know she's cruisen the night club strip at midnight with an elevated heart rate it's why i've still got the old toyota camry wagon.I agree with barry in so far that F1 is boring as bat****,races are won or lost in the pits,not out on the track where they used to be.Watch a motorcycle race like moto3 or motogp (1000cc v4 250hp four stroke factory bikes) for more on track passing than you can count.

Volkert i watched a vid of your spitty powered by an fa100,it was well and truly powered right so your fa125 looks like you went a bit overboard!...welcome to the saito a bit to big for your plane club pal.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:03 AM
wagen017

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad I cannot share a video here of my FA-125 Spitfire, you would love how it flies. So no worries, a TF Spitfire with a 125 is great!

Volkert

video!!

FWIW I gave up buying new cars, it is just a waste of money. Better an older one with more character!

Last edited by wagen017; 08-15-2018 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Add video!
Old 08-15-2018, 04:50 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Jim,

I responded to the PM. Not sure if it went through. Let me know.

Assembled in the USA from Asian components is not "Made in USA" Not getting close to buying that nonsense
Not many cars are "Made in USA" but Toyatahas minimal North American content. IIRC Ford has the highest US content per vehicle overall.
A few years ago a Japanese collector visited us to buy some vintage stereo gear that I had at the time (McIntosh, Marantz, Fisher etc)
He wanted to buy my Buick Park Avenue Ultra, he loved it even with 175,000 on the odometer. As it was, when he returned home he had me buy a Lawnboy lawnmower and 10 Anderson Windows for his new house. They were container shipped to Japan.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 08-15-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by wagen017
Too bad I cannot share a video here of my FA-125 Spitfire, you would love how it flies. So no worries, a TF Spitfire with a 125 is great!

Volkert

video!! https://youtu.be/WZ6ugCVHjNc

FWIW I gave up buying new cars, it is just a waste of money. Better an older one with more character!
Beautiful flier but video is way too short!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Rudolph Hart

Mike google top flite spitfire saito you tube and you should get a few minutes of vid,it's reasonably well flown,you may be surprised at how well the fa100 flys the spitty.Volkert is certainly not under powered with his fa125,if it's anything like my midget with the fa115 he has his hands full,they get a bit snakey at full throttle and slow speed and i wish him good flights.Adrenaline buzz.

dave DAVE! you still out doing laps of the town looking for a new red chevy?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 AM
Hobbsy

Yep, still Cruzin in it, 326 miles and still nearly half full. It's precise steering and handling continue to surprise me.

I talked to my local Bank manager a couple of days ago, the fee for sending the money to NZ Aero Products is 50 bucks, I'll have to bite that bullet in a week or two.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

There are some nice Spitfire videos on YouTube!
Old 08-16-2018, 08:12 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
There are some nice Spitfire videos on YouTube!

but the P-40 is American and has more character LOL

this Top Flight P-40 has a Saito 100Ti in it, and it fly's nicely, even has good climbouts, it must weigh in more than 11 pounds, my VQ P-40 is a bit smaller (2 inch smaller span, 3 inch shorter fuselage), and should weigh in around 9.5 pounds with E-retracs, it should fly well with my Saito 100,,

this Top Flight P-40 utilizes the Saito 125, it's well powered, surely a "big air" plane (the Spitfire should be faster), just what a guy like me needs, notice the runway is to WW11 scale,,,,
opps, he crashed it,,

here is that Top Flight Spitfire (again) with the Saito 100Ti, this model should really move-out with a Saito 125 with the right prop

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-16-2018 at 08:18 AM. Reason: I changed "the" to "that", and you are scratching your head thinking "what"
Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 AM
the Wasp

wow, rivets, with a "r", the guy is good !

hey Pete, your good with stuff like that, if I send you my P-40 will you do the whole thing in rivets for me ?, but know that I got to have it back by next Friday

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 08-16-2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: I'm dong good, I only forgot the w
Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 PM
Rudolph Hart

You know jim,with my sense of humour i would'nt trust me to do that,never know what you'll get back.It's a well known fact that if you were flying a p38 or p40 during ww2 and had to take evasive action,the best way to do that was to unfasten your harness and run around in the cockpit.Nice vids.

Dave fifty bucks is highway robbery.We've just had a royal commission in to the banking system here,it had got so bad here the banks were charging dead people fees among other things.Why don't you take a bigger gun and the bank manager can bite one? but seriously...can't you do an internet banking transfer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.