Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:33 AM
bfreee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

you might want to remove rtv, they will frown on that. you have use that stuff very sparingly or it will get into everything. Also that stuff is not rated for use where it will get contact with fuels. The best rtv is "right stuff" sold at napa stores. hylomar sealant is rated for use with fuels and its good stuff, also available at napa
Old 08-05-2006, 11:56 AM
EMVIN

Befree, I have a 180 on a somenzini yak were the tank is set back over the cg (8"+/- of fuel line from tank to carb). I'm using a perry pump with satisfactory results. Using the perry pump will eliminate the need to use muffler back pressure as well. Therefore your slimline pitts will not be a problem...........EMVIN........
Old 08-05-2006, 12:07 PM
scratchonly

My problem with the 80 is it won't idle inverted without onboard glow heat. I called Peggy at horizon about carb upgrade kit available date. She told me they had a couple in stock and I ordered one; this was earlier this week. For 11 bucks I thought it was worth a try. I just hope it is the right one.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:27 PM
bfreee

emvin,
thanks for the reply. I have the same plane & engine. I actually use the stock muffler with the tank in the stock location & nothing else. The plane runs great. I think there might be small loss of power but it still pulls out great. I wanted to use the slimline pitts for looks & fit, but it doesn't make enough back pressure to run the engine. I bought the cline to solve this & all its done is cause 2 dead sticks which one ended in a hard landing that did some damage. so i'M not happy with that. The cline setup cuts out when I go into a hover. How is the perry in a hover?
Old 08-05-2006, 12:44 PM
EMVIN

bfree, the perry works very well in hovers and all 3d maneuvers. it gives a nice steady flo. It took a little time to get it tuned properly due to lack of experience with it. I was running mine without a perry for a while. The engine was running hot and at best 8,000 rpm. now i'm getting about 8500rpm and running cooler. I'm using a pro zinger 18X6 with 30%cool power........Did you have a goldberg yak?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15526.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	502037  
Old 08-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is my old High Compression Saito .80 running at full throttle with the carb upgrade in place, Pic. #2 is it running at about 5,900 rpm which used to be fat and smokey, no more, it now throttles cleanly and quickly, no stumble or smoke. It is running on WildCat 15% fuel which makes it a little rattley compared to 10%. The reading is 2 clicks rich of 9,517 which was steady and maintainable. The .82 does not rattle at all on the 15% nitro. The Keleo collector ring for my Saito .90 triple also came today, it was easy to install, the nuts have Teflon tape on them.

Name:	Qo41181.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	502038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69279.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	502039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46071.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	502040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92352.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	502041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16908.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	502042  
Old 08-05-2006, 01:05 PM
bfreee

em, figures, I was told by many in here that perry was junk, & cline was the way to go! I've had nothing both trouble with it so far. I've only had this qq yak. How is your cowling cut out for your muffler?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:20 PM
EMVIN

Yeah its cut pretty wide open. not so pretty, but ther is much air flo... I think that you would have similar results with this set up.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:05 PM
scratchonly

Is it possible for you to invert your test setup? Iwould be interested to know if the carb upgrade works that way.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Scratch, let me think about that, it's not impossible. I ran the .90 triple with the Keleo exhaust, 7,400 with an APC 14x6, 20 minutes later it will turn it 7,590. It's no power house but sounds awesome. It has a great growl at idle.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:53 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill- my old backplate has a lot of indentations from the screws and washers. Definately deformed some and I didn't tighten them too much. I suspect that this old backplate was allowing the manifold to move a little. I can go home with the .72 tached around 10,200 and it is running around 8900 or less the next time I go out. I also seem to need to richen the lowspeed needle valve every trip or so too.

Ordered the 1.25 and it should be here Wed.

Nice radial there, Torque Wrench. We need a video file so we can hear it running.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 PM
bfreee

Emvin, I just got done doing some testing. I've found out why the cline is not working. I pressure checked the system & found out that there is virtually no pressure coming off of the pressure tap on my slimline pitts muffler on the saito 180. The cline needs 2-12 psi to work & at full throttle I get about 1psi. I really wanted to use the pitts, but it is just to free flowing to make any pressure. I guess I could go with the perry pump or the saito pump. I also thought about using the stock muffler with the cline. that should work as I have checked the pressure that muffler makes---about 5+psi. That would work well I guess. like I said, my engine actually runs pretty good with just the stock muffler & the tank back on the cg. Seems a little down on power, but not bad & the cline would probably take care of that. I just hate trying to put on the stock muffler . You have to hack to cowl up so bad. Do they make a straight through muffler for the saito 180 instead of the 45 degree setup that comes with it?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:06 PM
RVM

Bill: Supercharging ala the YS system. It's not needed, necessarily, but it might work well for those who want an alternative to YS for competitive flying.

Supercharging? Could be done, but is it really needed?

Bill.
[/b]

bfreee: I am going to install a Slimline Inverted Pitts on my Saito 1.00 with an Iron Bay regulator. I was concerned there would not be enough pressure in the muffler to operate the system effectively, so I asked Iron Bay about it. They said that it will run just fine on my set up as long as I kept the fuel tube between the carb and the regulator under 3" or so.

Now I'm concerned again. Blargh. I need time to stick it on a bench to test it!

ORIGINAL: bfreee

I've found out why the cline is not working. I pressure checked the system & found out that there is virtually no pressure coming off of the pressure tap on my slimline pitts muffler on the saito 180. The cline needs 2-12 psi to work & at full throttle I get about 1psi. I really wanted to use the pitts, but it is just to free flowing to make any pressure. I guess I could go with the perry pump or the saito pump.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:36 AM
dubd

Hi everyone,

I am having some serious issues with my Saito 180 that has caused tremendous amount of damage to my Dave Patrick Ultimate. The 180 dies on me when I enter a high g maneuver, such as a blender that goes from a aileron spin to a snap to a inverted flat spin. I managed to dead stick the plane 5 times, but on the 6th I wasn't so lucky and the plane got beat up on landing... so much so that I am considering buying another fuse. [:@] I thought my idle was too low, so I mixed in a "flying idle", then I thought it was my tank, so I checked all my hoses and the clunk was in place, so now I am unsure what to do. A flying buddy told me that at low idle the tank isn't pressurized and the high g maneuver are causing the engine to be starved. Is this true?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:32 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

The only time you really need supercharging is when there is a displacement limit, but no other limits. That doesn't exist today in most competitions. It is a holdover from the past.

I'd just as soon get the extra needed power from using more displacement rather than supercharging. Less complexity, more reliable.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 AM
EMVIN

bfree, if your concerned about cosmetics you will be better off with the Perry Pump as there is no connection to the muffler, therefore, eliminating that issue. The extra power dosn't hurt either. On the other hand cutting the bottom of the cowling up is not so bad. its out of sight most of the time and there is superior air flo as well....
Old 08-06-2006, 07:51 AM
NM2K

There is no way that a Cline regulator is going to increase the power output of a glow engine. Either your engine gets enough fuel, or it does not. All the Cline regulator does is keep the engine from flooding because of the extra pressure you are applying to the fuel tank.

Plug up one of the Slimline muffler's exhaust tubes. If that isn't enough obstruction to generate the pressure you need, then begin plugging up the other exhaust tube a bit at a time. There is no need to return to the stock muffler.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Uncle Ted

My 80 is mounted horizontal ( on its side) and plug heat does make a difference . But I had it running fine, w/o heat, for more than a tank of fuel until it went back to the erratic performance and poor idle during the flight. I would be interested in your results using the Carb rebuild kit.
Uncle Ted
Old 08-06-2006, 09:10 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Uncle Ted

My 80 is mounted horizontal ( on its side) and plug heat does make a difference . But I had it running fine, w/o heat, for more than a tank of fuel until it went back to the erratic performance and poor idle during the flight. I would be interested in your results using the Carb rebuild kit.
Uncle Ted

---------------

If it only occurs during flight, your fuel tank is vibrating and foaming the fuel. No, most times you cannot see this on the ground because the model doesn't do it until the wheels are off the ground.

One way to find out for sure is to get a little fuel and put a drop or two of Armor All in it. Mix it up and then burn that one tank of premixed Armor All/fuel. If the problem disappears, your tank is foaming the fuel due to vibration and must be isolated from solid pieces of the fuselage, including the firewall if the tank neck passes through it. This usually requires a new fuel tank and lots of loose packed real foam rubber. No solid/hard part, including the tank neck or the brass fuel vent/feed tubes can be permitted to touch the firewall or any other solid part of the model. I do not recommend relying on Armor All to fix the problem. Who knows what that gunk will do to your engine in the long term. I haven't seen any problem using Armor All to verify that fuel foaming is the problem.

The ARF manufacturers do not care if your engine fries itself and destroys your model. They know that you will blame the engine and buy another ARF.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Uncle Ted

ARTISAN- I will double check my tank. But it is wrapped in thick (1/4) foam. The problem continues on the ground and vibration seems normal for a 4-cycle. Thanks for your input.
Uncle Ted
Old 08-06-2006, 09:45 AM
NM2K

I didn't realize that it occurs on the ground too. I hope you get it sorted out soon. I know that can be frustrating.

Why is everyone talking about carb rebuild kits? Is it because of gaskets/o-rings needing replacement? Or is there a modification in the latest kits? I can't imagine any metal parts wearing out. TIA
Old 08-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Uncle Ted

ARTISAN- Horizon Hobby has a Saito Carb Upgrade,Rebuild Kit for FA-80 to be offered in Oct. per there website. The supposition is that the carb on FA-80 has problems and that the kit will solve them. I will find out more on Monday when I intend to call Horizon.
UNCLE TED
Old 08-06-2006, 11:04 AM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: riotgear

Hi everyone,

I am having some serious issues with my Saito 180 that has caused tremendous amount of damage to my Dave Patrick Ultimate. The 180 dies on me when I enter a high g maneuver, such as a blender that goes from a aileron spin to a snap to a inverted flat spin. I managed to dead stick the plane 5 times, but on the 6th I wasn't so lucky and the plane got beat up on landing... so much so that I am considering buying another fuse. [:@] I thought my idle was too low, so I mixed in a "flying idle", then I thought it was my tank, so I checked all my hoses and the clunk was in place, so now I am unsure what to do. A flying buddy told me that at low idle the tank isn't pressurized and the high g maneuver are causing the engine to be starved. Is this true?
riot, how long it the supply line to the carb?how far back is the tank from the carb?)
i have a 180 in a monster pitts and i can flip it around pretty hard and never misses a lick.
it is true that at idle there is almost no pressure on the tank but i have no problem doing a blender at all, i have over 60-70 flights on mine and it has never dead sticked(knock on wood).
i am almost certain its not the engine, imo its the tank being to far back(mine is up front and close to the carb) or you have it a little lean or rich on the low end.

Name:	Vt57831.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	502482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32672.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	502483  
Old 08-06-2006, 11:17 AM
scratchonly

Uncle Ted

I ordered one earlier in the week. Peggy at the toll free number said they have a couple in stock. I hope they sent the upgrade and not the same one supplied with the engine. I expect to test it in the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:28 AM
p-80
My Feedback: (1)

does any one know the diameter on the saito 170 and the saito 325 engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.