Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 05:58 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Dave:

Here's another exhaust, still one piece, just a little newer than yours. It has a proper expansion chamber, otherwise it could be considered the same. This one came on an FA-65.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19929.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	335556  
Old 10-07-2005, 06:14 PM
William Robison

Dave:

So, since you agree about your getting a twin, GET BUSY!!

Here's a shot of my "Mish-Mash" FA-120. Mish-mash because I've put the latest AAC cylinder on to lighten it. It still has the small rear bearing, and the "Same" exhaust your latest has. Bigger, but otherwise the same.

If you look closely you will also note it has the air bleed carb. Wish I had more of them, the big block has a mid range adjustment that's much easier to adjust than the one on the two needle carbs.

Bill.

Name:	Sq46129.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	335558  
Old 10-07-2005, 07:46 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hobbsy,
What brand of engine stand are you using, and where can we get one?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
N1EDM

Bill, I'm doing a similar type of mish-mosh on a 120. It's one of the original designs (heavy), and I'm changing the crankcase housing. I bought the motor used, and the engine mount holes had been hogged out. That didn't appeal to me. Overall, the engine is in excellent shape, though.

Bob
Old 10-07-2005, 07:53 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just got a 100 for my Funtana 40..overpowered...NAH, I'm just torqin it at 1/4 throttle!

I love my Saito, and the first time I cranked it up, I was so suprised at how quiet it was....I'm running an APC 15x6W on mine....Great combinationg. Am I part of the club now?[sm=thumbup.gif]

~Michael~
Old 10-07-2005, 08:04 PM
William Robison

Bob:

There are many things I prefer about the older ABC cylinders as compared to the later AAC parts.

The ABC has nicely finished ports, well radiused to flow the intake and exhaust with a minimum of turbulence. The AAC has all straight edges and hard corners in the ports, maximum turbulence and resultant restriction of the flow. The ABC has genuine bronze valve guides and seats, a damaged seat can be repaired. The AAC has brass guides and the seats are thin chrome plating over the base aluminum. Any valve seat damage and the cylinder is junk. The ABC has nice size fins on it, it looks like an engine. The AAC has small fins that look like they were stuck on as an afterthought.

The only advantage (to me) of the AAC is that it's a LOT lighter. And that's a BIG advantage.

Bill.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:13 PM
William Robison

Michael:

I don't suppose we can keep you out. Don't know any reason why we'd want to keep you out anyway.

You're number 81, iflynething.

Bill.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Bob, its a PSP, I'll get the addy. It's a little pricey but well worth it. I've had everything from my Fox .15, Saito .30, MDS 2.18 and Saito 2.20 in it.

http://www.pspmfg.com/EngineTestStand.html
Old 10-08-2005, 06:33 AM
N1EDM

Thanks, Hobbsy,
I've got everything from a .25 Irvine to a 1.20 Saito that need attention from time to time. Something like that might just be the ticket...

I was thinking about making my own, but might not have the time...

Bob
Old 10-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Bob, I don't know what those hold down bars are made of but I've clamped down pretty hard on them and they don't bend. It's one of the highest quality pieces of equipment I own. I don't know if you noticed but I have it mounted on a B&B Vibra-Loc because I used to clamp it to a picnic table and big engines, especially Diesels, made the picnic table rattle like a drum. Hopefully I can put my 2.20 in it today and wring it out some more, I only have 10% and 15% nitro to put in it, I'm almost out of 20%.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:20 AM
N1EDM

Hi Hobbsy,
I think that they're made out of Stainless, if I remember the website info.

I didn't seen the vibra mounts from the pictures. I see that the price is now $10 less than it was when RCR reviewed it a few months ago. I think that the only problems ol' Gordo had with it were the flexible throttle cable and the non-adjustable tank height.

Won't take the thread off the Saito subject. Thanks for the info. That could be a great tool for adjusting and breaking in the Saito's though...

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 10-08-2005, 10:25 AM
luftmeister

Hey guys,
I have a problem... I am installing a new FA-120 in a Sig 3D Mayhem, but this engine is the largest size that Sig says to put in this plane. I am able to get the engine on the firewall just fine, but the intake manifold runs into the motor mount. I tried to swivel the intake to avoid this, but there is just no easy way to position it to not screw things up in there. I was thinking of swinging the intake all the way out so it sticks out the side of the cowl, leaving only the intake bell exposed to the outside airflow at the side of the plane. In your opinions - will this work? Concerns of turbulence at the intake are among my concerns...
Old 10-08-2005, 10:34 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The fuel tank must be mounted on the centerline of the carb.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
luftmeister

Ya - that would be a problem for sure. Swiveled out like this, the carb ends up about 1.5" below the fuel tank - so that's a no go... It looks like I'll need to hit the Mayhem thread to see if anyone there has had this issue. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 AM
William Robison

[b]LM:

We all have this prolem with four stroke engines. You need to use a longer engine mount that will allow the carb to sit between the rails. And of course, this can make the plane nose heavy so batteries and servos need to be moved to the rear.

Bill.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:38 PM
av8r1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found that out with my .82 replacing a .46. The stock mount on my Funstar was too short for the .82 so I got the Hangar 9 40 size clamp-style metal mount that's just a bit longer and it fit perfectly.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:46 PM
luftmeister

That's the not so good part - I have plenty of room on the mount to extend the engine forward, but there will be a big gap between the spinner and the front of the cowl. Oh well - I guess that's just the way it goes!
Old 10-08-2005, 02:05 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

William Robison-- I took the .65 off my L-4 to clean it up and adjust valves today, 1st time the valves have been touched in the year and a half I've been flying this engine. They were just a tad loose (not enough to get 2 feeler gauges in the gap), but they're back to specs, now. What I wanted you to see is the exhaust rocker mounting post (the cast portion that has the rocker arm pivot) It has a flaw in the casting, hasn't caused any problems yet, but I wonder if it will eventually be a location for stress failure. This engine is an early .65, came with the black brass muffler, and has an air-bleed low end carb. There is an "A" stamped on the right hand engine mount lug. 1st picture is the exhaust side, 2nd is the intake side for comparison.

I think I can speak for everybody in Club Saito when I say thanks for sharing your seemingly infinite store of Saito lore.

Name:	Om34250.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	336003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21626.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	336004  
Old 10-08-2005, 02:18 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And while I'm on the subject of Saitos (that's for the mods )I happened to compare the .65 to my as-yet un-run .91S. I was amazed to find that all major external dimensions are identical--height, case width, backplate to prop hub length, mounting lug size and location, cam box, you name it. The only readily noticeable differences I see are the carb offset to one seide on the .91, and the squared-off cylinder base on the .91, and very slight differences in the case webs. Why did Saito change from the centered carb to the offset one? Makes changing the carb orientation for throttle linkage a bit more challenging, IMO, since the linkage comes out directly behind the cylinder if you have the needle adjuster coming off the left side, as for a sideways mounting. I guess going to an all-aluminum (eliminating brass liner) design allows room for a pretty decent displacement increase without increasing the overall engine size. The .65 is the one with the muffler.

Name:	Bz77712.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	336006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37260.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	336007  
Old 10-08-2005, 04:30 PM
iflynething

Many, many posts....William Robison, I"m happy to say that I'm 81. Are you really counting like they're doing with the Brotherhood?

~Michael~
Old 10-08-2005, 07:11 PM
William Robison

[b]KH:

Looks nasty at first glance, but the fault line looks to be right where someone would cut metal away to lighten the engine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Carb centering? Don't know. The FA-72 still runs a centered carb, but none of the big block engines do. As a guess it's the cost of the compound curve in the intake pipe that has made them offset the later mid block engines. The small block engines with the carb and intake pipe are offset also.

So you have noticed the commonality of size in the mid block engines. The odd ball is the FA-82, had to widen the crank case a bit for that one.

Big blocks are the same way, the FA-120 is almost exactly the same size as the FA-180.

You might also go [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1693951/anchors_3435911/mpage_1/anchor/tm.htm#3435911]here[/link], I've posted some new info on valve adjustment.

iflynething:

81 years old? you have 15 years on me, I'm just a kid of 66 years.

And yes, I have an Excel spread sheet with everybody's user name on it. You can also go back to page four of this thread, I'm keeping the two lists there up to date. First posted list is in alphabetic order, second is by "Member" number.

Bill.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:58 PM
solafein

Greetings from # 70

Now I feel like saying "Mr. Robison", or worse yet, "Sir".[:-]

I think that my 91 is finally getting over the break in hump, as I hovered my Tiger 60 today, for about five seconds, and went ahead and pulled out vertical to the ceiling, 400 feet. I feel like Mikey and a big bowl of life cereal.[>:]

I am about to build a GP Tracer, 40 sized. Do you feel that the 82 is too much? I want to enter Sportsman Pattern with it, and would hate to disturb it with too much engine.

I have also received plans for a scratch build Katana, which calls for a 1.20 - 1.80 four stroke. It is slightly bigger than 1/4 scale, 10 - 12 pounds and 78 in. wingspan. I want to squeeze in a 2.20 into it.[>:]
Have I gone crazy for Saitos?[X(]
Am I running the power up too much?
Or am I becoming like the rest of you?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 10-09-2005, 03:09 AM
XJet
Banned

Count me in. 1 x Saito 82 in a F3A/3D profile ship and a 100 waiting for my Mojo to be built.

I've also got a TT91FS (not nearly as nice as the Saito) and an HP21VT -- sweet but gutless.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:41 AM
William Robison

Dear Mr. Seventy:

ORIGINAL: solafein

I am about to build a GP Tracer, 40 sized. Do you feel that the 82 is too much? I want to enter Sportsman Pattern with it, and would hate to disturb it with too much engine.
It may be heresy to so state in this thread, but I actually like the K&B ringed 61 in this plane. Lighter than most 40-46 engines, makes it a rocket ship. Of the four strokes though, the FA-82 is my choice.

I have also received plans for a scratch build Katana, which calls for a 1.20 - 1.80 four stroke. It is slightly bigger than 1/4 scale, 10 - 12 pounds and 78 in. wingspan. I want to squeeze in a 2.20 into it.[>:]
Point of definition Sir. It's only scratch built if you are also the designer. That being said, if you can balance the plane with the FA-220 it should work well.

Have I gone crazy for Saitos?[X(]
Am I running the power up too much?
Or am I becoming like the rest of you?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
If you keep quiet, and don't yell too loudly, I think we might have as much as another year before they come for us.

Haw.

Bill.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:00 AM
William Robison

XJet:

You're on the list as number 82, XJet.

If you don't talk too much about your TT engine, we wont hold it against you. We have even let people in who admitted having O
riental Scrap products.

The HB? It's kind of cute with the "Elephant's trunk" coming out and down in front. Pity it doesn't have any power.

Does "Ex-Jet" mean you're now a glider? Haw.

Bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.