Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 08:45 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The Robin Hood 25 is coming right a long, I have 2.5" wheels on it, it calls for 3" but I think I can live with 2.5". I scrounged up an ancient well worn tail wheel that's 1" in diameter but looks very similar to the Kavan's. The Saito 30 is a great fit. As you can see I had to sand a notch in the windshield base to squeeze a 6 oz Sullivan in there. The rudder and fin are today's project. And then sanding, lots and lots of sanding.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-22-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:57 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

Looks great! So you going to fly it next weekend?
Old 11-22-2020, 10:09 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice Dave, nice glue amounts on those joints. Did you allow the Superphatic to wick in to the tight joints on its own or double glue them?
Old 11-22-2020, 11:51 AM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking plane. I had to go to the web site and look over the kits. If I didn't already have too many kits around here I would be ordering one.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:09 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Can't argue with that.

Or this: "Bottom line remains : The new, undamaged crankpin already on hand is the way to go."

Also, can't argue that a very fine abrasive slip stone in the hands of a talented operator would yield better results. I don't have the appropriate stone and I'm not a talented slip stone operator.

Run what ya brung!

Everybody starts someplace, just don't rub off more than you have to, whacking with paper.

Do you have a four jaw Chuck for your lathe?

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-22-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:33 PM
Hobbsy

Nice Dave, nice glue amounts on those joints. Did you allow the Superphatic to wick in to the tight joints on its own or double glue them?

I hit the surfaces that are going to touch, then, for example I stood the wing on end and did all the little corners, flipped the wing end for and did the other sides of the joints.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:01 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

For the life of me I cannot find the hardware for my Corsair. GRRRRR. Not a clue where I put it. I have the flap servo in, the flaps dialed in, and one aileron servo mounted. While waiting on the epoxy to cure on the other servo tray I went to hook up the aileron. That is where I'm stuck now. Going to have to dig the plans out so I know what size control arms to use. Thats the drawback of starting something and putting it aside for years. Guess I should do some more shop clean up and reorganizing, maybe I'll find it.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:53 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Everybody starts someplace, just don't rub off more than you have to, whacking with paper.

Do you have a four jaw Chuck for your lathe?
Yes, a Nova 4 jaw scroll chuck for my wood lathe.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:56 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by acdii
For the life of me I cannot find the hardware for my Corsair. GRRRRR. Not a clue where I put it. I have the flap servo in, the flaps dialed in, and one aileron servo mounted. While waiting on the epoxy to cure on the other servo tray I went to hook up the aileron. That is where I'm stuck now. Going to have to dig the plans out so I know what size control arms to use. Thats the drawback of starting something and putting it aside for years. Guess I should do some more shop clean up and reorganizing, maybe I'll find it.
Funny thing about misplaced "stuff", it'll show up when you're looking for something else.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:01 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I hit the surfaces that are going to touch, then, for example I stood the wing on end and did all the little corners, flipped the wing end for and did the other sides of the joints.
It sounds like the bottle of Superphatic you got is thin, as it shoud be. Many, including myself, weren't so lucky. May have something to do with whether or not it experiences freezing temps between the factory and your door.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 11-23-2020 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:07 AM
Hobbsy

I first ran across it at the original Hobby-Lobby in Tenn, when it was owned by Jim Thompson who's son was married to Herr Graupner's daughter. So, I've been using it for a long time.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:11 AM
Jesse Open

Yes, a Nova 4 jaw scroll chuck for my wood lathe.

Nope,

Sorry, I should have specified independent.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:20 AM
Glowgeek

Had a feeling you wanted me to chuck up the crank pin on center, why I specified "scroll" chuck.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:31 AM
Jesse Open

Had a feeling you wanted me to chuck up the crank pin on center, why I specified "scroll" chuck.
Yep,
I got that.
Four jaw scroll chucks are relatively little used on metal lathes.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:50 AM
Glowgeek

Speaking of metal work I'll be fabricating my own cdi conversion sensor ring and bracket. Been giving some thought on how to secure the sensor ring to the drive flange without leaving set screw marks. Thinking of maybe making a 2-piece "V" ring that fits in the drive flange groove for the set screws to press on.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:07 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Yep,
I got that.
Four jaw scroll chucks are relatively little used on metal lathes.
Something on my wish list for my mini lathe, both independent and scroll. I also have an adjustable plate that I can mount a chuck on for the mill where all three come in handy. The 4 jaw scroll comes in handy for square stock that should be centered and repeatable. I have a few things I can make with it.

Speaking of metal work I'll be fabricating my own cdi conversion sensor ring and bracket. Been giving some thought on how to secure the sensor ring to the drive flange without leaving set screw marks. Thinking of maybe making a 2-piece "V" ring that fits in the drive flange groove for the set screws to press on.
You can also make it with a split and cap screw to secure it. Just remember to balance it.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:08 AM
Jesse Open

Something on my wish list for my mini lathe, both independent and scroll. I also have an adjustable plate that I can mount a chuck on for the mill where all three come in handy. The 4 jaw scroll comes in handy for square stock that should be centered and repeatable. I have a few things I can make with it.

You can also make it with a split and cap screw to secure it. Just remember to balance it.
The independent four jaw will usually find a LOT more use on the metal lathe. I would end to look for a good collet setup before hunting down the 4 jaw scroll. Actually, for thin tube etc, I have put the small 6 jaw scroll chuck to use often. It really came in handy for those thin muffler tubes with minimal distortion. Also used it for the roll crimp tube operations where it was priceless!

De

Last edited by Jesse Open; 11-23-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:37 AM
acdii

Is that Sherline compatible? I have an old Craftsman lath in the garage with an independent chuck, but dont remember if 3 jaw or 4. Going to have to go dig it out and check. On that one it has thread cutting gears. I had converted it to a 36" wood turning lathe, but still able to use all the metal cutting equipment, I just extended the bed with flat steel bars and standoffs so the tailstock can slide back.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:47 PM
FlyerInOKC

Oh! I like that 6 jaw chuck it has a wealth of possibilities!
Old 11-24-2020, 05:55 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
I know most of you may furrow your eyebrows but i am considering my newer FG 21 to sell. it is my only gas motor and the ******* fuel requirement needs to go. Too many fuels, the other gas stuff (which also needs to go) runs different mixes. I mounted it on a bearcat last week and few it a bunch of times. I dont want to mix another half gallon. lol Think i will remount a 120 nitro sell it off.
Whats it worth on the market ? Probably e bay it away?
I bought it new from HH.
This might hurt.
I should probably buy that from you. Give me a PM if you decide to sell.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:28 PM
acdii

Call me ambitious or crazy, but I imported all the templates for the Top Flight .60 Corsair into lightburn tonight and making adjustments to match the leftover sheets in the kit. Got the first two Fuse sheets done and they came out dead on. Couple days and will have another full short kit to add to my collection. The Giant Scale I need to make a few adjustments to and it will be ready too. At least now it will be easy to make replacement parts in case my first few flights wind up breaking things.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 PM
FlyerInOKC

Call me ambitious or crazy, but I imported all the templates for the Top Flight .60 Corsair into lightburn tonight and making adjustments to match the leftover sheets in the kit. Got the first two Fuse sheets done and they came out dead on. Couple days and will have another full short kit to add to my collection. The Giant Scale I need to make a few adjustments to and it will be ready too. At least now it will be easy to make replacement parts in case my first few flights wind up breaking things.

Say whatever happened with the Liberty Sport you were trying to cut did you get it finished the way you wanted it?
Old 11-25-2020, 06:24 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Say whatever happened with the Liberty Sport you were trying to cut did you get it finished the way you wanted it?
The plans are an image, and when I try to turn them into an SVG, the work involved to clean them up is not worth it. It's still on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet. I'm still learning the software, so once I become fluent in it, the LS parts will be much easier to work on. for some of the PDF I have, the templates will convert to SVG as a single thin line, perfect. For others I get crappy double lines that are difficult to work with, and thats how the LS comes out. The plans are not conducive to making parts either since they are overlapped. Some point I will have it done, for now I just have the wing ribs done.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like a challenge and a half! I can see why you went on to other things.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:00 AM
acdii

Too many distractions though. I want to finish the Corsair, but can't find the hardware. In searching for the hardware I came across all the empty blanks the die cut parts came from and, well, now that is taking up my time. I did find the original manual, while looking for the P-51 manual, and the last page is the parts list, so I now have that to work with. Still haven't found the P-51 manual, to avoid losing parts for that I stuck them and the plans back in the box. Just trying to reorganize things. Once I have all the parts at the correct size I can put the box back on the shelf. My Giant Scale is almost ready fro prime time, someone is sending me the wing dimensions so I can compare to the plans I have before I make any changes to the T ribs. All the center ribs are correct but the tip ribs are off, according to my plans. I also have to resize all the slots where they are sized for 1/8" plywood, to 3MM plywood. Then it is ready to market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.