Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 11:43 PM
Monty Python

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Pete, we are buds for sure, some day I am going to move in next door to you and you will teach me how to paint babes on Harley tanks !! and don't forget the beer we will drink . and Ouzo on birthdays and Christmas

as for the pipes, I was thinking if the tubs are thin they may crack at the bend after a given number of flights, hope not thO

Jim
You would be welcome jim. We could do some nose artwork like they did back in ww2 maybe, but since no one is travelling at the moment i've just hung the airbrush up for a year to go travelling around aussie in my van from the end of january next year. i hope they sell emu export in the other states
Re the copper exhaust pipe bruce is making for his radial, saito sell their flex pipe in longer lengths than that, easier to hand bend and does not crack but it doesn't look as good to me. I think gary wants to unload a couple of those smelly black and gold ( a cheap brand of tinned baked beans/spagetti etc goods over here ) two stroke engines if you are interested, otherwise he can post them here maybe and i can see if they can be fitted to a clay target trap throwing machine. I've got nearly two boxes of 00 buckshot left in the shed i need to get rid of before i leave.

ps aniseed flavoured ouzo is what we call mothers milk here, no wonder the greeks went crazy, plus you can't see invisible flames from a teaspoon of burning ultra proof re distilled tequila, it's safer to just drink a small amount tho.

Last edited by Monty Python; 12-13-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:26 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by captinjohn
I have a 1.5 size. It is setup with ignition & was wondering if it will run ok with no nitro in fuel? Will it be a dog with low power.
John, I have CHI on mine too set a 30 btdc, it's a *****cat now, Saitos run great on 5% or no nitromethane and don't lose much power. Saitos respond well to nitromethane but they sure don't need it. Outside the US few people use it.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:32 AM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Oh, which one of you guys has the hots for black and gold HP engines? I have a 61 and a 40 to sell from an estate. Can offer at a good price. They look and feel good but do have some old castor in them.
A few years ago I had a Black and Gold 61 and a 120 twin, both had Dykes rings. They are nice smooth running engines. I even had the over/under Mac's twin pipes for the 120 with Mac's Quiet tuned pipes. They deserve a good home with a two stroke lov'r.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:50 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Monty Python
I think gary wants to unload a couple of those smelly black and gold ( a cheap brand of tinned baked beans/spagetti etc goods over here ) two stroke engines if you are interested, otherwise he can post them here maybe and i can see if they can be fitted to a clay target trap throwing machine. I've got nearly two boxes of 00 buckshot left in the shed i need to get rid of before i leave.

Well pete, those two stinkin engines aren't mine. I don't and won't use nor own two strokes of any color. Just trying to get them into the hands of one of those masochistic types who seeks to use them as a means to fulfill perverse self punishment.

Just like drinking "buddies" getting ttheir alcoholic friends booze that they probably can't handle.
Not my engines nor choices, just an enabler passing them along.
The original owner is long since gone. He actually passed away at our club's flying field. Just finished a flight, sat down at the picnic table to chat. Without word or warning he simply slumped forward, gone in an instant. He was a great fellow, with a fine family. That is why I am helping the family. They are donating the proceeds to our club.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:06 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 274 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
A few years ago I had a Black and Gold 61 and a 120 twin, both had Dykes rings. They are nice smooth running engines. I even had the over/under Mac's twin pipes for the 120 with Mac's Quiet tuned pipes. They deserve a good home with a two stroke lov'r.
Hey there are nothing wrong with two strokes and they at least run glow fuel and not gasoline which should stay in your automobile!
Old 12-14-2020, 06:50 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
that bend is not as tight as I thought it was going to be. looks good.

Jim
That is the shortest pipe with the easiest bend, the #1 on top has a 90, but not sharp, the #3 is the one that will be a bugger, it has a 180 in it. I will also be figuring out a way to secure them so they don't wiggle and break.

Will send some flux early this week, will also look for some 3/16 stock. Anything else?

Going with UPS from here on out. The Post Office cannot deliver anything outside of votes.
I found a piece of 1/4" aluminum so I am good there, got the QCTP fully working how I want it. I alo took up your idea of slitting the brass tube and inserting a rod inside the copper. Worked like a charm for trimming the end to size, they were a little long and would risk thread stripping if I had left them alone.

Re the copper exhaust pipe bruce is making for his radial, saito sell their flex pipe in longer lengths than that, easier to hand bend and does not crack but it doesn't look as good to me..
I have the flex pipes, but they are too long and look terrible for the plane. What you see in the pic I posted is where the full scale exhaust exits. If I really want it scale I would drill through the firewall and through the belly and have them come out behind the cowl, but this will be close enough for me, will look better than a bundle of slinkys sticking out the bottom.

If I do a Giant scale, this is what it would look like, I just don't think it would work well on this smaller one.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:37 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Geez GaryWhat a sweet way to get the call to come home.
Musta been a special person.
No hesitation for my dad either.
After the truck ran him over, he just reopened new eyes and said hello to Christ.
Bet yer buddy did too.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
That is the shortest pipe with the easiest bend, the #1 on top has a 90, but not sharp, the #3 is the one that will be a bugger, it has a 180 in it. I will also be figuring out a way to secure them so they don't wiggle and break.

I found a piece of 1/4" aluminum so I am good there, got the QCTP fully working how I want it. I alo took up your idea of slitting the brass tube and inserting a rod inside the copper. Worked like a charm for trimming the end to size, they were a little long and would risk thread stripping if I had left them alone.

I have the flex pipes, but they are too long and look terrible for the plane. What you see in the pic I posted is where the full scale exhaust exits. If I really want it scale I would drill through the firewall and through the belly and have them come out behind the cowl, but this will be close enough for me, will look better than a bundle of slinkys sticking out the bottom.

If I do a Giant scale, this is what it would look like, I just don't think it would work well on this smaller one.

I made a adapted header and slash cut ends to mimic the exhaust on an AT6 with a 77 cc ums seven cyl.
Worked good and looked real good.
When a ring replaced it for a different application , the engine performed markedly better.
I assumed the longer tubes in conjunction with the shorter sections caused un even cylinder performance.
"Unturned" exhaust back pressure I thought.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:41 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

If all works out good half of my model engines will be running on gas by years' end.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:41 PM
acdii

I need to make a pressure tap on that short pipe. The stock pipes are close to equal length for two cylinders, the shortest pipe has a pressure tap, so that is probably what makes up the different in lengths.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Jesse Open

I would suggest that pressure tap should be placed downstream of any tight bends.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:24 PM
acdii

It will be at the very end of that short pipe just like the stock pipe. I will bury it inside the dummy outlet so it won't be seen.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Jesse Open

Dave, do these have your name on them?

Last edited by Jesse Open; 12-14-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:36 PM
acdii

OOh those are some nice little props. Mine keep getting larger and larger in size.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:13 PM
Jesse Open

Hijynx, Yes, a very fine way to go! I had a preview of that a few years ago. In a-fibrillation all day. Heart stopped, revival wasn't working. About the time they gave up, it started up again in perfect sinus rythm. I felt born again with an un-earned second chance. The big thing I learned was it wasn't all that bad to die! Had an extended heart stoppage during surgery back in 1992. When the doctor was describing the event I told him that I wish I could have been awake, sorry to have missed it. I did wake up with a split lip to show for their revival work.

ACDI,
Some props that I have no use for, but I know Dave likes that brand. Will be tossing them in the next Dave box.

Old 12-14-2020, 03:24 PM
acdii

He will put them to good use for sure.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:36 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

On a pipe with continuous diameter the pressure is higher the further down the pipe you go.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:53 PM
Jesse Open

Yes, but on scale planes you often compromise to avoid a rubber snake at the exhaust tip. The small gain from past the bend to the pipe tip is marginal.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:00 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

You would be welcome jim. We could do some nose artwork like they did back in ww2 maybe, but since no one is travelling at the moment i've just hung the airbrush up for a year to go travelling around aussie in my van from the end of january next year. i hope they sell emu export in the other states
Re the copper exhaust pipe bruce is making for his radial, saito sell their flex pipe in longer lengths than that, easier to hand bend and does not crack but it doesn't look as good to me. I think gary wants to unload a couple of those smelly black and gold ( a cheap brand of tinned baked beans/spagetti etc goods over here ) two stroke engines if you are interested, otherwise he can post them here maybe and i can see if they can be fitted to a clay target trap throwing machine. I've got nearly two boxes of 00 buckshot left in the shed i need to get rid of before i leave.

ps aniseed flavoured ouzo is what we call mothers milk here, no wonder the greeks went crazy, plus you can't see invisible flames from a teaspoon of burning ultra proof re distilled tequila, it's safer to just drink a small amount tho.
Pete, I am surprised you would waste a good box of shotgun shells on a couple of 2st

Jim
Old 12-14-2020, 07:04 PM
the Wasp

I could go along with tequila. but not too long

Jim
Old 12-14-2020, 07:17 PM
the Wasp

I would buy that HP 61 but I really don't need it, I still have not run the brand new one I bought

Jim

Old 12-14-2020, 08:17 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
If all works out good half of my model engines will be running on gas by years' end.
Going gas?! I think they have a therapy group for that now.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:31 AM
Hobbsy

Dave, do these have your name on them?

I love those Super Nylon Greys and the fact that I might have more will really please Pete in Oz.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:40 AM
Hobbsy

I feel almost human today after spending most of yesterday on the couch covered up, the sore throat is gone but one whale of a headache still remains. I don't think I'll venture out today except to get wood for the wood burner. Supposed to be snow tomorrow.
Maybe I can grab a glow plug session on Thursday. It's really difficult to do a meaningful test when you don't know what you're doing.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
It's really difficult to do a meaningful test when you don't know what you're doing.
Not knowing what I was doing never stopped me or any elected official! I hope you get to feeling better lots of rest should help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.