Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 03:25 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
If so equipped, mine are ejected by sudden abrupt unplanned stops eventually...
lol. Yeah I think that’s what mine are trying to avoid.
the divot.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:20 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I don't have that problem, I set up a card table in the den and build in the air conditioning. If I built on my workbench in the garage I would be working on the same airplane for 30 years and it still wouldn't be finished. I just store projects out there. This wing was progressing nicely until I had an accident with it in the garage now I have to rebuild it.
Looks like the wing to an SC-W? With that double tapered wing design and very narrow wingtips it looks like a recipe for tip stalling. The wing stalls at the tips first and makes the ailerons ineffectual. I hope you find an adaquate power plant for it. The fa-115 will keep it in the air if you keep the speed up, especially on approach for landing. That type of wing design is noted for snap rolling on approach so a nose down attitude on approach is manditory, like a warbird, Just saying. Kind of reminds me of the CAP 232 "Snap 232" wing design that caused so many problems for people on landings. To be honest my SBach has a similar design, although not tapered as much on the leading edge and it can be a handful on approach if the wind is crossing. I've heard the SC-W is quite the floater on landings and that may be true do to the wide wing chord near the fuse but when it slows enough to stall for landing that's when the rubber meets the road.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:47 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
If so equipped, mine are ejected by sudden abrupt unplanned stops eventually...
I have literally seen his pilot jump out at altitude. Maybe if he attached a tiny parachute to them, it would making it more thrilling.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:58 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Looks like the wing to an SC-W? With that double tapered wing design and very narrow wingtips it looks like a recipe for tip stalling. The wing stalls at the tips first and makes the ailerons ineffectual. I hope you find an adaquate power plant for it. The fa-115 will keep it in the air if you keep the speed up, especially on approach for landing. That type of wing design is noted for snap rolling on approach so a nose down attitude on approach is manditory, like a warbird, Just saying. Kind of reminds me of the CAP 232 "Snap 232" wing design that caused so many problems for people on landings. To be honest my SBach has a similar design, although not tapered as much on the leading edge and it can be a handful on approach if the wind is crossing. I've heard the SC-W is quite the floater on landings and that may be true do to the wide wing chord near the fuse but when it slows enough to stall for landing that's when the rubber meets the road.
Good eye! The design is Dick Katz's Ryan SC-W I have modified it a bit but the wing remains as designed. The plans call for 3/8" washout at the type to prevent tip stalls. We will see how it works. I may plant it the first time but have enough parts to rebuild. Pepino (Mammoth scale plans) AKA Scale Plans and Photo Service had a 1/4 scale size build about exactly the same way. I bought a set of both plans and decided the Katz size was more manageable in my situation. I will be adding the airbrake under the wing, its my favorite feature. There is a guy overseas on YouTube who built a quarter scale it reported it flew great. I hope the 1/5th scale does as well.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:43 AM
Glowgeek

The underwing perforated air brake (belly flap) is a really cool looking thing on the SC-W. Reports on the full scale version say its like deploying a parachute! Full scale landing speed with air brake deployed is only 45 knots, pretty slow. Only 14 of them were ever produced with less than 10 still flying today. Might be the best kept secret in light aircraft. There's really not a lot of info out there on this Ryan. It was a pretty fast little thing. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

I was told by Russell Williams, owner of NC18914 since 7/2002, the Ryan SC likes to float and doesn't want to land without the air brake deployed. If you see one with "Firestone" on the side it's Russell's airplane.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:57 PM
Glowgeek

Default Saito powered Ryan SC-W

Argy is one of the most talented builders I've ever seen.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

How did you like the pilot he made? It looks just like Russell! I have already purchased some AeroFoil to cover my plane so I'll have the polish aluminum look. I notice Argy flies his in a scale manner no fancy stuff. I don't think this airplane would look right trying to fly 3D.

I downloaded all his SC videos as a reference.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:03 AM
Glowgeek

How did you like the pilot he made? It looks just like Russell! I have already purchased some AeroFoil to cover my plane so I'll have the polish aluminum look. I notice Argy flies his in a scale manner no fancy stuff. I don't think this airplane would look right trying to fly 3D.

I downloaded all his SC videos as a reference.
The animatronics are over the top with the Russel Williams figure! Wow, just wow! How many of us us could pull that off?

Yes, his plane is heavy too with all the add-ons. You'll notice that with the belly flap deployed he has NO problem with floating on landings. It lands like most of my warbirds. Careful and slight flaring is all that's needed right before touchdown for stall with HIS plane because its Heavy ie a lot of extra wing loading. Yours will be lighter and may float a little longer but should be fully controllable (ailerons effective) with the belly flap deployed until you reach ground effect altitude. Rudder is all that should be used once you reach ground effect ie approx 7 ft off the ground.

Anytime I maiden a new airframe I take it up very high and stall it repeatedly to see what it does. Sometimes they just tip stall right over and sometimes they just smoothly drop the nose. I check them all before attempting my first landing. Probably why a crash so few aircraft.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good idea!
Old 06-29-2021, 04:36 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Good idea!
Unless if course the new to you stall and recovery characteristics create an unrecoverable situation at the 400 foot ceiling. At that point pilot error.
Stall charistiics don't equate to correct landing procedure. Pilot error does. The one thing an airframe can't can't fix. LolKnowing the plane is gold. But sometimes with scale types reading and old training videos buffer the experimentation at the field.
like recovering an F-15 in freefall straight down until airspeed is regained. Lack of pre knowledge before leaving the ground is suicide in some cases with some airframes.
​​​​​​i lost a topflight 90 series AT6 unrecoverable from a stall and I witnessed the same thing happen to my brother in law with a 1/4 scale Byron Harvard. . Best rc pilot I have seen fly.
Should have watched the old WW2 training videos the government published first. Specially when the ones they paid Ronnie Regan to star in.
The cartoon one on ground looping ( or not) the PT 17 type is HILARIOUS!
Old 06-29-2021, 04:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have watch some of those on the Zeno site, very entertaining.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:11 AM
Glowgeek

No Aaron, I wouldn't intentionally stall an F-15 either. Lol
T6 Harvard? I stall my 60 size H9 AT6 into a spin during every flight as part of my routine. No problem with achieving a "steady state" spin after 3 or 4 rotations and recovery (using rudder and elevator only) is always a sure thing. I'm not saying I'm within the 400 ft. ceiling, no way to know that. I do start way up there when doing initial testing.

Intentionally spinning the Harvard was standard practice for pilots in flight training. Attached is a link to a flight instructor's page.
https://www.t6harvard.com/%F0%9F%8F%...-scully-levin/

Old 06-29-2021, 06:01 AM
Hyjinx

No Aaron, I wouldn't intentionally stall an F-15 either. Lol
T6 Harvard? I stall my 60 size H9 AT6 into a spin during every flight as part of my routine. No problem with achieving a "steady state" spin after 3 or 4 rotations and recovery (using rudder and elevator only) is always a sure thing. I'm not saying I'm within the 400 ft. ceiling, no way to know that. I do start way up there when doing initial testing.

Intentionally spinning the Harvard was standard practice for pilots in flight training. Attached is a link to a flight instructor's page.
https://www.t6harvard.com/%F0%9F%8F%...-scully-levin/
Fascinating stuff MikeThat guy would have been one to follow.
​​​​​​I wonder if the pucker factor in the seat holding the sticks is the same as the factor I experience thumbing the stick from a hunnerd yards or better
I am afraid I may have been a statistic in the seat of the real thing. And there were many who left the earth training. Landing the thing was even trickier.I can't imagine the feeling when that 20 year old former "college kid" started to ease back the throttle to initiate the first attempt.
I would have needed a change of undergarments when the wing dropped. Or a flag draped box a few short seconds later.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:46 AM
Glowgeek

Yeah, me too. Would have been scared to death! My knees get rubbery just flying rc planes. Those young men back then had some serious steel nuggets, probably clanked when they walked! Lol

If it weren't for their bravery and others we wouldn't have the liberties we enjoy today. I am truly grateful.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:11 AM
Hyjinx

Yeah, me too. Would have been scared to death! My knees get rubbery just flying rc planes. Those young men back then had some serious steel nuggets, probably clanked when they walked! Lol

If it weren't for their bravery and others we wouldn't have the liberties we enjoy today. I am truly grateful.
A firm Amen from Michigan Mike.
My dad was one of those kids.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:34 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Lonnie. one of the guys I flew with was a (LOL as I'm typing I can't remember what he was called LOL) he commanded the ground crew for P-47s. in WW11. he was wonderful. I had come to love the guy. he said he never saw a new P-47 with black guns, he said every new P-57 that he saw came with chrome guns and the crews would paint them black.
later we was a field Rep for command helicopter on a AirCraft Carrier. he told me that thos Helis had wood blade. I tell you I cringed when he told me that. he also said that the jet fighter pilots would go to bed stoned drunk every night and get up in the morning ready to go. he said he could not understand how they could do that

RC talk; I got my smaller P-40 ready to fly, you know, the one with the OS smelly 2 stroke Hyper 50 smelly Heli engine in it. I rebalanced it, the tail is a bit heaver, we will see if it responds better. I have been wondering if it would be as fast with that Saito 65 that Dave gave me

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 06-29-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:39 AM
Glowgeek

Chrome plated gun barrels? Lol. Nothing like clueing the enemy into your location with flashes of light. Wow, what were the designers thinking? Was corrosion resistance really a concern? How long did they think a war would last? We have much to learn from the guys who lived it day in and day out. The guys in the air and those on the ground. They are disappearing quickly so we should have an open ear, don't you think?

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-30-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:51 AM
Hyjinx

Chrome plated gun barrels? Lol. Nothing like clueing the enemy into your location with flashes of light. Wow, what were the designers thinking? Was corrosion resistance really a concern? How long did they think a war would last? We have much to learn from the guys who lived it day in and day out. The guys in the air and those on the ground. They are disappearing quickly so we should have an open ear, don't you think?
Lol with 90% plus shiny aluminum skin. I doubt the flash gave em away. He Haw
Old 07-01-2021, 03:41 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Cap's Saito Black Knight 65 is ready to spin up, I found an APC 13x6 perfectly balanced for the run. I'll do 14 oz of Wildcat 10% with 18% full synthetic and then S&W 15% with 17% full synthetic..

Old 07-01-2021, 05:58 AM
Glowgeek

That's a high compression version so yeah, I'll be keeping up with your numbers!
Old 07-01-2021, 07:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, I took your advise does this look better? I was surprised it didn't come with the lock nut so I reused the old one.

Anyone heard from Pete lately?

Old 07-01-2021, 07:56 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
Cap's Saito Black Knight 65 is ready to spin up, I found an APC 13x6 perfectly balanced for the run. I'll do 14 oz of Wildcat 10% with 18% full synthetic and then S&W 15% with 17% full synthetic..

wow that looks bad ass just sitting there. WOW!!!

Dave where can I get the little washer retainer fir the o-ring on intake pipe to head. For a Saito.50?
I can’t seem to locate one.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
........snip......Dave where can I get the little washer retainer fir the o-ring on intake pipe to head. For a Saito.50?
I can’t seem to locate one.
It is part of the carburator gasket set sai5091b.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:29 PM
FlyerInOKC

I think I like the black rocker covers better than the gold ones on the BK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.