Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 06:48 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Chrome bores with ringed pistons utilize a different surface finish to seat rings than used with plain, iron bores. They need just enough texture to retain oil and prevent burnishing which results in quickly glazing the bore and the ring face.

What Dave said earlier is pretty close. Do not "hone" the chrome. If /when the bore is glazed, a bit of dulling down is all that is needed.

These comments pertain to chrome bores only. Iron or Nikasil are different yet.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-27-2022 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:23 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Every Saito which I have rebuilt has had near zero leak compression whether I installed a used or a new RJM ring. I never hone one. I assembled a 56 yesterday with a new RJM ring and if turned slowly you best not let go of the prop because it's coming after your fingers.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:07 AM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by the Wasp
OK, no honing. that is how my MVVS 35 came new, no honing

Jim
Yep, One of the finest chrome bores made.

Dave, I don't "hone" them either.
The few glazed bores do get the gloss knocked off. Just as we did when re-ringing in the shop with larger chrome bores in chainsaws snowmobiles etc that had chrome bores.

Hyjinx
Hope you had a good trip home last night. Two visits in less than a week! A new record.
I'm betting you put the cylinder on the Saito before you put the other cylinder on the 66 Pontiac.

Be patient with that Keleo. Use finger pressure only on those exhaust nuts. Easy to bugger the threads when you start coaxing with wrenches. Most people swear the thing will NEVER fit. They do. Once you start tweaking, all bets are off. Try loosening the the cylinders like we talked about. Maybe work in a star pattern like when tightening lug nuts .

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-28-2022 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:23 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Yep, One of the finest chrome bores made.

Dave, I don't "hone" them either.
The few glazed bores do get the gloss knocked off. Just as we did when re-ringing in the shop with larger chrome bores in chainsaws snowmobiles etc that had chrome bores.

Aaron,
Hope you had a good trip home last night. Two visits in less than a week! A new record.
I'm betting you put the cylinder on the Saito before you put the other cylinder on the 66 Pontiac.

Be patient with that Keleo. Use finger pressure only on those exhaust nuts. Easy to bugger the threads when you start coaxing with wrenches. Most people swear the thing will NEVER fit. They do. Once you start tweaking, all bets are off. Try loosening the the cylinders like we talked about. Maybe work in a star pattern like when tightening lug nuts .
As always Gary, a great visit. You have been kind to me. I value our friendship. The base nuts on this bugger are snap off (or round out) torqued from the factory as usual. Have 16 to deal with sans the four I got out successfully to swap your cylinder with. Used to that procedure we discussed with Harley v twins. Plumber fitted early ohv heads and ring type pan head intake seal rings usually leak lean if you don't get pristine alignment. Even with shovelhead bands over the OEM o rings.
Have to follow the procedure religiously. Even in the parking lot tear down at the closed thirby auto parts store in Mesick on one of the rides home from Arcadia a couple seasons ago. Seriously, a pain the the butt.
The ring will not be much of a challenge. I am a patient person while I wait for healing. I am supposed to not stress myself for a couple months. Hence all the driving around for parts for projects that have been collecting dust for a while.
God bless you for the kindness and fellowship.
I listed the first of my radial engines I intend to sell on the forum entitled UMS Evolution radial care and .. for 800. It is my Evo 7-77. It was 1199.00 new ( as I recall from horizon hobby)
There will be a complete American made Morton M-5 with the A serial number and aluminum adjustable pitch prop also a complete on a run stand American made Technopower 9-90 also offered also.
The three engines may go as a package for 3500 cash dollars to a legitimate buyer unless the Evo sells first to someone one the other thread.
I may sell off several Saito and OS singles also. As well as some larger gas two strokes.
None of my engines with the exception of the glow singles and gas two strokes will be marketed on e bay. All sales of my radials will be face to face for cash currency
​​​​​​at my bank in Chelsea Michigan. No exceptions.
I sent an open check to Adrian for the seven cylinder and a conversion kit for my German 7-77 I mentioned last night. I intend to fully fund it within a month.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:29 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
As always Gary, a great visit. You have been kind to me. I value our friendship. The base nuts on this bugger are snap off (or round out) torqued from the factory as usual. Have 16 to deal with sans the four I got out successfully to swap your cylinder with. Used to that procedure we discussed with Harley v twins. Plumber fitted early ohv heads and ring type pan head intake seal rings usually leak lean if you don't get pristine alignment. Even with shovelhead bands over the OEM o rings.
Have to follow the procedure religiously. Even in the parking lot tear down at the closed thirby auto parts store in Mesick on one of the rides home from Arcadia a couple seasons ago. Seriously, a pain the the butt.
The ring will not be much of a challenge. I am a patient person while I wait for healing. I am supposed to not stress myself for a couple months. Hence all the driving around for parts for projects that have been collecting dust for a while.
God bless you for the kindness and fellowship.
I listed the first of my radial engines I intend to sell on the forum entitled UMS Evolution radial care and .. for 800. It is my Evo 7-77. It was 1199.00 new ( as I recall from horizon hobby)
There will be a complete American made Morton M-5 with the A serial number and aluminum adjustable pitch prop also a complete on a run stand American made Technopower 9-90 also offered also.
The three engines may go as a package for 3500 cash dollars to a legitimate buyer unless the Evo sells first to someone one the other thread.
I may sell off several Saito and OS singles also. As well as some larger gas two strokes.
None of my engines with the exception of the glow singles and gas two strokes will be marketed on e bay. All sales of my radials will be face to face for cash currency
​​​​​​at my bank in Chelsea Michigan. No exceptions.
I sent an open check to Adrian for the seven cylinder and a conversion kit for my German 7-77 I mentioned last night. I intend to fully fund it within a month.
The 66 Pontiac needs to go to. Runs, moves and stops. Fully equipped with rust and a few frame rot repairs for 2500 with temporary tires and wheels. I am keeping the rally wheels at this price. Also cash, no dickering at this price. 3500 if someone feels like they want to " negotiate" to get something for nothing. Lol
Old 10-03-2022, 03:28 AM
1200SportsterRider

47 degrees-f today and pouring rain, no cutting or splitting firewood, no installing new spindles and blades on lawn tractor, no Saito's to rebuild.

I might be able to run the .66 Frankensaito if the the rain is coming straight down, if blowing sideways, no can do. Bummer, maybe I'll just sit here and listen to CCR
Old 10-03-2022, 04:03 AM
Jesse Open

Not raining here but I will be working inside anyhow. Neighbor's Ford Jubilee tractor needs new clutch and steering gear repairs. Should keep me busy at least until 2PM. Hopefully he won't want to help, we may be here a lot later if he does!

Will play some Glen Campbell in the background.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 10-03-2022 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:15 AM
1200SportsterRider

Do you have to break it in two, even if, that's still good work. I love reading about tractors.

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tra...aa-engine.html

This one? Thanks
Old 10-03-2022, 04:48 AM
Jesse Open

Yessir,

Parts between engine and bellhousing.
Back in 1968 I did my first tractor clutch .
It was a lot tougher job. A Ford 3500 Industrial.
As if that was bad enough, it happened to have a backhoe that I had to remove first.
Made me wish I was still loading scaffolds and mixing mortar for my dad.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:50 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I need to try to cut a second cutting from the neighbors hay field. I first have to find my cable cutters so I can cut the fence between our properties so I can get the equipment in without driving around and down to where the other neighbor is.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:24 AM
Jesse Open

I was using the bucket on the 3500 to backfill a 9 foot deep trench when the clutch throwout went thru the clutch fingers. Couldn't pull it out if gear and the brakes couldn't hold it back. Thought I was going to die at age 17 while driving a Ford! At the last instant I stretched out the bucket just enough to catch the other side of the trench.
As a reward, Jim gave me the job of replacing the clutch. That throwout had been squealing for two weeks and getting worse. Jim said it would have to wait for winter. It didn't listen.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:51 AM
1200SportsterRider

Keeping the clutch linkage clearance adjusted was a good idea.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:35 AM
Jesse Open

In this case the throwout bearing was frozen up and the friction made it wear it's way right thru the three skinny levers on the old Borg-Beck pressure plate.

Pretty scary stuff though.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:49 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Jim's friend) hey Jim, what's up? what you doing today?
Jim) well buddy. you know I took 7 months to pick out a toolbox that was just right for me? well. I finely found one that I really like, and the price was lowered $125 because I found a coupon, so I snagged it. I received it today.
Jim's friend) so how is it? you like it?
Jim) hey man I love it. it's really nice! it's defected! it's got to go back!!!!!!!

that's right guys. I finely found a toolbox like I wanted and it's got to go back because it's defected. see the pic. 2 of the small drawers are not supported. I can raise and lower their front corners.
guys, this is crazy. the only 3 times I ordered something on the net this summer and all 3 were defected 1) the Prop Balancer, 2) the only 3 1/4 Spinner I can find. 3) the Toolbox. it would not bother me so much if it didn't take 7 months to find it!!

Jim
PRO-SOURCE - 9 Drawer Top Tool Chest - 12757910 - MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)

Last edited by the Wasp; 10-03-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:14 AM
Jesse Open

Jim's friend) hey Jim, what's up? what you doing today?
Jim) well buddy. you know I took 7 months to pick out a toolbox that was just right for me? well. I finely found one that I really like, and the price was lowered $125 because I found a coupon, so I snagged it. I received it today.
Jim's friend) so how is it? you like it?
Jim) hey man I love it. it's really nice! it's defected! it's got to go back!!!!!!!

that's right guys. I finely found a toolbox like I wanted and it's got to go back because it's defected. see the pic. 2 of the small drawers are not supported. I can raise and lower their front corners.
guys, this is crazy. the only 3 times I ordered something on the net this summer and all 3 were defected 1) the Prop Balancer, 2) the only 3 1/4 Spinner I can find. 3) the Toolbox. it would not bother me so much if it didn't take 7 months to find it!!

Jim
PRO-SOURCE - 9 Drawer Top Tool Chest - 12757910 - MSC Industrial Supply (mscdirect.com)

Bugger!
Sorry to see that. Have you checked to see just what is the cause? Maybe something like a slide that has slipped off off it's mounting point?
I realize you shouldn't have to make repairs to a brand new item, sometimes it is easier though.
Pity the Chinese don't always live up to their high standards for quality Also a pity the higher quality, USA suppliers of tool boxes, people like Waterloo in Iowa have been shuttered.

Did you measure to see if it is the actual size of the box you ordered? I see one buyer got an undersize box.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2022, 05:22 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like the rail mount hardware is missing or fell out during shipping. Easy fix.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:31 AM
Jesse Open

Yep

Last edited by Jesse Open; 10-04-2022 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:42 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Bugger!
Sorry to see that. Have you checked to see just what is the cause? Maybe something like a slide that has slipped off off it's mounting point?
I realize you shouldn't have to make repairs to a brand new item, sometimes it is easier though.
Pity the Chinese don't always live up to their high standards for quality Also a pity the higher quality, USA suppliers of tool boxes, people like Waterloo in Iowa have been shuttered.

Did you measure to see if it is the actual size of the box you ordered? I see one buyer got an undersize box.

Good luck!
I have a older Craftsman lower I pulled out of a work trailer I sold off. Been tripping over it since. I have sets all over the place. Free for the taking lol.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:18 AM
the Wasp

Drawer Sliders.
the sliders are the normal 2 stage slides with a 3rd part/a mount that holds them (all 3 parts are silver). the Hanging mount (red) that hangs down between the 2 drawers is there, but that 3rd silver mount is not mounted to the Red Hanger as it should be!

you can see in my pic the 2 sliders inside the mount (all 3 are sliver), that mount is not mounted to the Red Hanger.
I'm not sure how to take it apart. and even if I could I feel I wouldn't be able to mount the holder to the Red Hanger. BTW, this box was made in Tiawan.

errrrr
Jim

Old 10-04-2022, 11:24 AM
Hyjinx

Drawer Sliders.
the sliders are the normal 2 stage slides with a 3rd part/a mount that holds them (all 3 parts are silver). the Hanging mount (red) that hangs down between the 2 drawers is there, but that 3rd silver mount is not mounted to the Red Hanger as it should be!

you can see in my pic the 2 sliders inside the mount (all 3 are sliver), that mount is not mounted to the Red Hanger.
I'm not sure how to take it apart. and even if I could I feel I wouldn't be able to mount the holder to the Red Hanger. BTW, this box was made in Tiawan.

errrrr
Jim

this ole crapsman stuff was made by Mericans lol
Old 10-04-2022, 11:41 AM
the Wasp

UPDATE;

thanks to YT I found how to remove the dawer. I found there is NO rivet holding the sliver mount to the red Hanger.
to fix it I would have to drill a hole in the red Hanger and buy a Rivet Gun. and what if I drill the hole too high or too low. it's going back.
to add, even if MSC asks me to fix it I will tell them no because IF I do something wrong they can then blame me. so it's going back.

Jim
Old 10-04-2022, 11:52 AM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
I have a older Craftsman lower I pulled out of a work trailer I sold off. Been tripping over it since. I have sets all over the place. Free for the taking lol.
thank you for the offer! but shipping will be too much

Jim
Old 10-04-2022, 03:32 PM
Monty Python

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, ah got an idee. Your luck will improve if you do three things my friend.
1 Never post any pictures of two strokes here again,
2 Disavow all intentions of ever being involved with, or flying helicopters again.
3 And most importantly, never consider buying an FA125!. Easy peasy, and good luck from now on
Old 10-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

UPDATE;

thanks to YT I found how to remove the dawer. I found there is NO rivet holding the sliver mount to the red Hanger.
to fix it I would have to drill a hole in the red Hanger and buy a Rivet Gun. and what if I drill the hole too high or too low. it's going back.
to add, even if MSC asks me to fix it I will tell them no because IF I do something wrong they can then blame me. so it's going back.

Jim
A hand rivet tool is $5 at Harbor Freight, the rivets $5 a pack. Darn handy tool to have around. The slide needs to be parallel with the one above or below it. 5 minute job really but I get it Jim, you shouldn't have to fool with it.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
A hand rivet tool is $5 at Harbor Freight, the rivets $5 a pack. Darn handy tool to have around. The slide needs to be parallel with the one above or below it. 5 minute job really but I get it Jim, you shouldn't have to fool with it.
Leave that chink crap on the shelf and get one from a garage sale. The ones NOT made outta chineisum last for generations. And you don't have to fix the tool before you fix the tool. I got two or three of em my dad couldn't wear out. Me either.
Just saying.
Man. I am starting to sound like him as much as I look like him. Frightening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.