Originally Posted by the Wasp
thank you for the offer! but shipping will be too much

Jim
Tru dat . Biflation sucks.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:04 PM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Leave that chink crap on the shelf and get one from a garage sale. The ones NOT made outta chineisum last for generations. And you don't have to fix the tool before you fix the tool. I got two or three of em my dad couldn't wear out. Me either.
Just saying.
Man. I am starting to sound like him as much as I look like him. Frightening.
I have one of each. Lost my old rivet tool, bought a cheapo, then found my old one. They both work fine. Probably would grab the old one if I wanted to rivet an entire aircraft together.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:29 PM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I just did a piece of door trim on my wife's Scamp trailer, HER hobby lol. I had three of them in a old metal tool box with the title "gutter tools" on it. Moved to my garage when dad died, and my brother died then my mom died. Man that box has been around. If tools could talk.....
Old 10-04-2022, 05:36 PM
Glowgeek

Yep, there's a treasure trove of sentiment in old tools. I have a box full of my father's precision measurement tools, some passed on to him by his father. A true joy to use and to reflect on.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:41 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Pete, as you say, Easy Peasy on the Helis and the FA125. but I have 3 nice 2st I like. and they don't smell yet LOL

Lonnie. the toolbox is packed and addressed with the RA#. to add I don't see how I could drill a straight hole in the Hanger, no room to get a C-drill in the cubby. besides, I take the Box problem as a bad omen for it.
Jim
Old 10-04-2022, 06:16 PM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Jim,
Another one of those "overkill" tools :
The Roper Whitney hand punch. Puts precisely placed clean holes in sheet metal. A favorite of (skilled) tradespeole around the world.,
That tool place you deal with should have them. Just the ticket for that job

Aaron,

When my dad pased, my mother asked if I wanted his ring or his watch. I told her my sisters could have them. She then asked what I would like instead. I told her I would like his old canvas bag that held his masonry tools. The brick hammers, joint raking tools, trowels, chisels etc.
I started working summers with my dad at age twelve. I remembered that bag and those tools well. It was always in the cab his old ton and a half Ford stake truck. Many a day I would carry block and mix mortar. He was the only man I knew who could easily lay 500 12 inch block in an eight hour day.

It was a priveledge to have worked at his side.
I have used those tools often since then and feel deeply honored to be able to use them

But I have never approached a 500 block day, not even with 8 inck block

Last edited by Jesse Open; 10-04-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:55 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I have two of these that are nearly alike, but one has three small drawers at the top. It is dedicated to general small tools, one drawer is full of drill bits and another is filled with rc switches, extensions, gyros etc. The other chest is dedicated to Life batteries in the top for lawn equipment, the lower drawers are for lathe accessories. Both are quality items. I throw a little lube at the sliders now and then.

I talked to Crunch the other day, he's doing well and is very busy. He's still going to send the Saito 300-t single carb twin for me to freshen up. A Saito 56 will be my wages, I love it.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:55 AM
Jesse Open

Most of the Craftsman boxes were made by Waterloo in Iowa. Now copied by Chinese.

Those Saito 300 are a joy to work on. Good running, easy starting too. Is it a single or twin carb?

I sold this seven foot span, Dave Gunning built Smith Miniplane last year . Powered by a Saito 300 that I put together from parts about 10 years ago. My favorite Saito. Liked it much better than the O.S. Gemini.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 10-05-2022 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:30 AM
1200SportsterRider

Like this, I think.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:39 PM
Glowgeek

I prefer the dual carb boxers over the single carb versions. In the end, once fully broke in, they run the same but being able to adjust each cylinder independently allows a new engine to become airborne quicker. No short term use of an OBG required either.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 10-05-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:52 PM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Jim,
The Roper Whitney hand punch. Puts precisely placed clean holes in sheet metal. A favorite of (skilled) tradespeole around the world.,

Aaron,

When my dad pased, my mother asked if I wanted his ring or his watch. I told her my sisters could have them. She then asked what I would like instead. I told her I would like his old canvas bag that held his masonry tools. The brick hammers, joint raking tools, trowels, chisels etc.
I started working summers with my dad at age twelve. I remembered that bag and those tools well. It was always in the cab his old ton and a half Ford stake truck. Many a day I would carry block and mix mortar. He was the only man I knew who could easily lay 500 12 inch block in an eight hour day.

I have used those tools often since then and feel deeply honored to be able to use them

Wow, you guys were fast!! Obviously not working for the Union.

My record is 128 8x8x16 blocks in 8 hours with one clueless helper. Slow, I know, but at least they were equally spaced, straight, level and plumb.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 10-05-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:24 AM
1200SportsterRider

The only advantage I see to the twin carb is it's hotrod look, I put one of those carbs on my 150 and it changed nothing, Sr. Telemaster, (Dan) has it now.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 10-06-2022 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 10-06-2022, 06:25 AM
Hyjinx

Jim,

Aaron,

We were blessed the same individually Gary. Started bending nails on floors and houses with dad at 13 building our first house in Lenco. Tended for the Queen's dad at 17 in the same county. Retired their favorite hammers and trowels to the beam above the window in our living room. My Grandfather's foot aze also hangs on these beam. I have Greg's Klein bag up here at the cabin today for the staircase project. Dad nailed 120 feet an hour in his prime. My punk ass never got more than 60...all salt of the earth people. All returned to the dirt they were made of.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:11 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
The only advantage I see to the twin carb is it's hotrod look, I put one of those carbs on my 150 and it changed nothing, Sr. Telemaster, (Dan) has it now.

I still have to wonder how those HP carbs with the accelerator pumps would work on a Saito.

Jim
PS, the toolbox is now in UPS's hands.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:01 AM
1200SportsterRider

Good Morning Jim, is that HP carburetor a slide carb like this Webra Dynamix, Thanks, Dave The rod on the right side, (the one with the spring), has a slot in it the holds fuel and as the slide opens, (moving to the right), the fuel in that slot is dumped into the airstream. It's not exactly a pump carb but is called that by most folks. If readable, there is a partial explanation of the Dynamix operation below.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 10-07-2022 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 10-07-2022, 06:09 AM
Hyjinx

Morning Saito heads.
Sue said look at the rainbow out there this morning. I said take a shot of that eh. Hope you can expand this a bit.
Remember that old song by the Marshall Tucker band?

Wonder if "that pot of gold" showed up on the deck as it chugged north? Or in the hold lol.
Sorry to sail off topic.
Maybe I should have tried that carb in my R5 before I put the webra on it? There we go....
Old 10-07-2022, 06:22 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Morning Saito heads.
Sue said look at the rainbow out there this morning. I said take a shot of that eh. Hope you can expand this a bit.
Remember that old song by the Marshall Tucker band?

Wonder if "that pot of gold" showed up on the deck as it chugged north? Or in the hold lol.
Sorry to sail off topic.
Maybe I should have tried that carb in my R5 before I put the webra on it? There we go....
https://youtu.be/9xI-o5Tf1vsNow THIS is definitely ON TOPIC!!
Old 10-07-2022, 09:35 AM
Jesse Open

Did you catch the name on that freighter?
When I was a kid I used to ride my bicycle out to the big lake and log the passages into the St Claire.

Sure missed seeing The Edmund Fitzgerald after it went down.

Yep, you should try one, if nothing else to find out how bad they were
Old 10-07-2022, 10:40 AM
Hyjinx

Did you catch the name on that freighter?
When I was a kid I used to ride my bicycle out to the big lake and log the passages into the St Claire.

Sure missed seeing The Edmund Fitzgerald after it went down.

Yep, you should try one, if nothing else to find out how bad they were
The back story on the R5. Ran great on the GP1359 Super Stearman for two seasons. Super powered and idled perfectly on my homebrew 15/18. Started easy with my 9600 mAH 1.2 nicad starter packs. Ran great and idled reliability once I warmed it up to operating temps and pulled the pack plug. One fine day on takeoff, I hit a hole in the turf at our field and ripped the gear off. The stock ring had a long outvert on it and when the plane bottomed it bent the downpipe and cracked some of the brazed points.. It snapped the exhaust spigot casting on the #3 lower cylinder (the reason I needed yours last week). I attempted repair of the ring and failed on the brazing of it. Dropped it at my local welders shop in Dexter for repair. The guy still has it unrepaired after two years.
I fashioned exhaust individual headers from 5 Saito motors I had laying around. I fixed the gear on the SS and remounted it. It would run fine but wouldn't idle no matter what I did. I added two taps on two of the headers for tank pressuring (it didn't have taps on the OEM ring). Still would not idle. I tried three carbs that fit the intake invert and sealed correctly. No change. I tried adding a external fuel pump like my gas radials use. No change.
I was deciding on a 125 UMS or a 180 Moki for another project during that time frame. I reluctantly decided on the UMS from Adrian. He also offered the gas conversion for the Saito and a Keleo ring. You know the rest of the story. You personally opened the boxes in my dining room. Lol.
We are at the cabin. I am trying to resume the staircase/flying bridge project for my neighbor I told you about. Sue is trying to help as you also know of my recent health changes. Probably permanent so the doctors say. I now need help that I never needed in my past life.
I have a UMS 160 seven cylinder and a gas conversion for my German Seidel 7-77 held with two open checks from my hobby account to Adrian right now. This project will allow him to cash the checks and ship the converted Seidel and the UMS back to me.
That's the whole shooting match.

Can't see the name on the freighter with the field glasses here at the cabin today. I don't keep my Swarovski EL's here as we rent the place.
My dad and I were heading to deer camp in Houghton County the day the Edmund Fitzgerald broke up and sank off paradise point. We were buying cold meds in Marquette when it came across the radio. He had a terrible flu. The storm was heinous in and around Marquette near the beach crossing area on 28. We were saddened by the news story on the radio. We had rolled past paradise point earlier in the trip up there. Just south west in the Seney Stretch.
Sorry to bore all u Saito heads with an old man's reminiscing.
Shoulda wrote this stuff down in book form. I have journaled most of my life's experiences. It has been a good full run on this rock. God has been graceful to me on this sojourn. Yours in Christ. Your friend.
Aaron-

Last edited by Hyjinx; 10-07-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:35 PM
the Wasp

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
Good Morning Jim, is that HP carburetor a slide carb like this Webra Dynamix, Thanks, Dave The rod on the right side, (the one with the spring), has a slot in it the holds fuel and as the slide opens, (moving to the right), the fuel in that slot is dumped into the airstream. It's not exactly a pump carb but is called that by most folks. If readable, there is a partial explanation of the Dynamix operation below.

oops, yes Dave, the HP carbs are sliders, click my link, there are 2 sizes.

Jim
80-22.jpg (1100×673) (mecoa.com)

Last edited by the Wasp; 10-07-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 05:49 PM
the Wasp

wow, a really nice landing there with the Waco. and flying under the E-wires LOL

Jim
Old 10-08-2022, 03:28 AM
1200SportsterRider

Different approaches to same job. The Saito carb, (220) has a sleeve the runs in and out over a cat's eye, the Super Tigre, (4500) carb has a flat ended bar that runs in and out inside the cat's eye. Both work very well.

Saito 220 carb

Super Tigre 4500 carb
Old 10-09-2022, 03:34 AM
1200SportsterRider

Yesterday after coming home from our club meeting, 12 to 20 mph wind and gusts, I was digging in my stuff and found the lower end of a black Saito 150. It is complete with crankshaft, good cam and followers, back plate, rod and good piston. I have an extra RJM piston ring. No cylinder, but I have the rocker stands and probably valves. I have a couple good carbs also.
At Horizon==Cylinder for engine code CC==SAI159H01 $172.42
Piston ring==SAI300T09A=========================$50.51 (Each)
RJM ring======================================$20.00 I have one.
Valves============================SAI180L6====$112 .24
Gaskets===========================SAI150S=====$14. 99
ICBIM Gaskets==============for 150-A=============$9.99

Well, now what?

Old 10-09-2022, 03:42 AM
Glowgeek

Buy a preowned 150 in decent condition and keep your spares?

The parts doubled in price about 3 weeks ago. Highway robbery. Shameful really.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:37 AM
Jesse Open

Yes sir!
Looks like Saito or Horizon anyhow is trying to discourage people from repairing engines, hoping to persuade them to buy new instead.

Like I said a few days ago; not buying any new Saitos nor any new Saito parts.Will buy aftermarket bearings, make my own rings and gaskets, velocity stacks, mufflers, pipes etc. Still refinish tappets to better than new
Otherwise, all engines and repair parts will be sourced from used. Selling off the Saito .72 and .62 and replacing them with .65s. The used and pre-owned new .65s and parts are plentiful and durable. They will also fly any planes that the .62 or .72 will.

Used YS and OS are other options.

Well Dave,

At least you had a great day fo flying! 12-20 MPH makes for a real good time.
The old three channel Sr Kadet is the go-to for those days.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 10-09-2022 at 08:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.