Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 06:48 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Open
Like I said, relying on experience, experience with good results.
I am not in the rebuild for resale business. I did that with full size engines for years. That was then.
This is but one hobby, still it is a HOBBY. I do a lot of labor donated work both locally and for a few people online. No charge.
Aside from that, I have passed along third party engines and parts for locals with the understanding that they are as-is and not rebuilt or otherwise inspected. As always if the buyer is not 100% pleased within a reasonable time, a full refund is no problem. For that matter, I have given away dozens of engines in just the last two years.

This is a hobby and I keep it that way. The comments I made were about engines that I personally keep and use.
Little to lose by following that pattern for me.I get a lot of flying in, have fine running engines year after year. My running standards are high.Yet l have not taken up trying to make every used engine a zero time engine. Anybody can assemble an engine from new parts. Trick is knowing when it is not needed.

Bet mine run every bit as well as yours too, Brotha
Mee too movement. Bought a sum total of one new Saito engine. Lonnie ended up with it with only a few flights on it. Have only owned about twenty others attached to semi wrecks to flawless beauties ie Dave's "Claude". . Most I've ever done to any of them was a rare tappet adjustment after freeing up a stuck carb or worse. Those probably the better of the lot due to the castor preservation.
Usually after a season of moderate use or two the rear bearing fails and I replace the set or toss it in the for repair box. Definitely a if it ain't broke ...guy.
A 75 dollar china box. Never. Saitos work just fine as originally designed and built for me. Fuel is cheap compared to other hobby interests. ARO oil, nope, I own a bottle but don't even use it judiciously in radials, of which I have more than ten.
Pan me if you like. Or use me as fodder. Least I have my place in the world lol.
Gary, I have a couple empty cans if you have room....
Old 09-02-2023, 01:08 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

From the Stinger 10cc data, an odd way to say some of it. I have one coming Tuesday for one of the LT 40's.
  • Gasoline-Version : Pre-mixed Fuel, 25-40 (Gasoline):1 (recommended : 32:1 for real oil, or 40:1 for synthetic oil)
  • Lubrication Oil : High quality fully synthetic 2 cylinder oil such as Motul 800 2T 100% synthetic racing motor oil , Red line two-stroke racing motor oil , Stihl Ultra high performance 2 cycle fully synthetic engine oil etc

This will require moving the throttle servo to the bottom left of the LT 40 fuselage.

Last edited by 1200SportsterRider; 09-02-2023 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2023, 03:01 AM
Jesse Open

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyjinx
Mee too movement. Bought a sum total of one new Saito engine. Lonnie ended up with it with only a few flights on it. Have only owned about twenty others attached to semi wrecks to flawless beauties ie Dave's "Claude". . Most I've ever done to any of them was a rare tappet adjustment after freeing up a stuck carb or worse. Those probably the better of the lot due to the castor preservation.
Usually after a season of moderate use or two the rear bearing fails and I replace the set or toss it in the for repair box. Definitely a if it ain't broke ...guy.
A 75 dollar china box. Never. Saitos work just fine as originally designed and built for me. Fuel is cheap compared to other hobby interests. ARO oil, nope, I own a bottle but don't even use it judiciously in radials, of which I have more than ten.
Pan me if you like. Or use me as fodder. Least I have my place in the world lol.
Gary, I have a couple empty cans if you have room....
Good to hear from you Aaron,
Yep, will give you a shout when we make the run to PA.

Sounds like those Saitos are still treating you well. I just received a package from Adrian at CH Ignitions. Picked up another FG-20 to convert over to methanol, also adding CDI to one of my older FA-72 for sparky methanol operation.
How did that FA-325 cylinder work out for you? The FA-65 you dropped off went straight into my buddies Astro Hog. Didn't do a thing to it, has given many trouble free hours!

Hope we can make it out there for a fly-in this fall.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:39 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

This camgear came out of a very nice looking preowned engine. Compression was good and bearings didn't feel too bad. Looking into the exhaust port it appeared to not have much run time. I could have run it as it was but following my strict protocols for preowned engines I tore it down instead.

You just never know what you'll find.

Camgear, tappets and bearings replaced. It became a fine runner for my collection.
Old 09-02-2023, 05:28 AM
Hyjinx

Good to hear from you Aaron,
Yep, will give you a shout when we make the run to PA.

Sounds like those Saitos are still treating you well. I just received a package from Adrian at CH Ignitions. Picked up another FG-20 to convert over to methanol, also adding CDI to one of my older FA-72 for sparky methanol operation.
How did that FA-325 cylinder work out for you? The FA-65 you dropped off went straight into my buddies Astro Hog. Didn't do a thing to it, has given many trouble free hours!

Hope we can make it out there for a fly-in this fall.
As do I Gary. Adrian is a great guy. Lots of fair and good interaction between he and I. Been flying/concentrating on the UMS 125/Waco and the fr300 /PT-17 this summer till recently. Lost the PT at my up north club last month unfortunately. So the Super Stearman with the Saito R-5 is on the bench.The build out has been done for a while. Fiddling with it last week and encountered a pump/fuel issue. The complexity of gassing these small radials is legion.
Sad to report the Waco and Dave's Claude were both lost to a fire last Sunday at my house. They were in the van. The headliner burned due to an electrical fire in its control panel on the ceiling. The tops of both burned to char and the van totaled. Could have been worse. The fuel in my flight kit did not ignite and there was no loss of life or other property.
Sue and I are licking the wound in Arcadia this week, then onto Joe's in the U.P. next week. Helping with his cabin upgrades and cycling. Riding his used gold wing up to deliver. My first foray on a Honda. Don't tell anyone lol.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:16 AM
Jesse Open

Oh no!

Quite a hit there, two of your favorite planes. Kyle was here last week lamenting that he had not bought Claude when he had the opportunity.
That Gold Wing is a nice ride for people who would really rather be drivng a Suburban than a motorcycle!

Experience not rare exceptions in making our overall decisions regarding engines has paid off well.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-02-2023 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2023, 07:05 AM
Glowgeek

Sorry to hear, Aaron. Two beautiful planes lost to fire is two too many.
Old 09-02-2023, 07:12 AM
Glowgeek

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
From the Stinger 10cc data, an odd way to say some of it. I have one coming Tuesday for one of the LT 40's.
  • Gasoline-Version : Pre-mixed Fuel, 25-40 (Gasoline):1 (recommended : 32:1 for real oil, or 40:1 for synthetic oil)
  • Lubrication Oil : High quality fully synthetic 2 cylinder oil such as Motul 800 2T 100% synthetic racing motor oil , Red line two-stroke racing motor oil , Stihl Ultra high performance 2 cycle fully synthetic engine oil etc
Woohoo, that's some serious giddy up for an LT40. Cheap fuel, easy to hand start, less mess to clean up, less maintenance......All good.

With that 10 oz Roto tank you could fly it to Alaska and back without refueling.

Last edited by Glowgeek; 09-02-2023 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:26 AM
Jesse Open

Enjoy that new gasser. Just the ticket now that Wildcat/Byron's went caput!
Just picked up a Ghost kit at the LHS. It will be running a Saito FG-11, freshly converted to zero nitro, low cost homebrew methanol.

The kit looks great. Old School Models is a very welcome company.

BTW, Never owned a Saito that didn't readily hand start
Old 09-02-2023, 10:22 AM
1200SportsterRider

Thanks Lonnie.

Gary, are you going to do the flaps and the drop box, I think he may have another fun addition now also.

Ghost flap
Old 09-02-2023, 04:45 PM
Jesse Open

Originally Posted by 1200SportsterRider
Thanks Lonnie.

Gary, are you going to do the flaps and the drop box, I think he may have another fun addition now also.

Ghost flap
Dave,

Not yet decided on flaps. I rarely use them on planes like this. Most likely do whatever needed during framing to leave that option open for later. I do at times make use of spoilerons to allow power-on landing approaches in fairly high winds.
The kit made it to the LHS in about 1 week.
Looks great and should build very quickly.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:01 PM
Hyjinx

Oh no!

Quite a hit there, two of your favorite planes. Kyle was here last week lamenting that he had not bought Claude when he had the opportunity.
He was on me hard to sell it to him last month. I couldn't be convinced for mere money. Plane was VERY special to me. Devastated to lose it. The Waco is easy to replace and I already have one Brian just sold off to a local guy. If nothing else, at least I didn't wreck the home built with my marginal skills or a malfunction. It lives on in my tube channels and video files.
That Gold Wing is a nice ride for people who would really rather be drivng a Suburban than a motorcycle!

Yeeah. First leg of delivery to Marquette for my kid was our cabin in Arcadia. Got up here faster than in a cage, though three storm cells , with less fatigue. I didn't like the high cog over my hogs with cop seats, but 84 mph @3500 on 127 was pretty impressive. Could a balanced a dime on the tank. And the thing has 89 k on the led....

Experience not rare exceptions in making our overall decisions regarding engines has paid off well.
For me anyway, but I am I user and not a seller lol.
Old 09-02-2023, 06:11 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Sorry to hear, Aaron. Two beautiful planes lost to fire is two too many.
Tru dat. Sue came running into the house in full panic mode. We both were lost in sadness in the aftermath. The insurance company seemed familiar with the upper console starting electrical fires in this vehicle. They totaled it without even inspecting it.
The only thing not replaceable was the Claude. Thankfully.
Maybe someone could resurect it as a Phoenix. Unfortunately I don't have the skills.
Old 09-02-2023, 07:05 PM
Jesse Open

You had the honor of putting more hours on the plane than Dave could have.
Claude had a good life.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:16 PM
Hyjinx

You had the honor of putting more hours on the plane than Dave could have.
Claude had a good life.
Huzzah
Old 09-03-2023, 03:30 AM
Jesse Open

Did the Saito FA-180 survive?
Old 09-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Hyjinx

Did the Saito FA-180 survive?
Hopefully both engines will live on. The boots on the UMS ignition are partially melted (upper cylinders). Claudes wing took the brunt of it The wing was suspended under the headliner. The fire started in the control panel above the wing. (Apparently) Hence little damage to everything excepting the top sides of cargo below. Both planes could probably be salvaged and rebuilt by a better carpenter than myself. But at what cost in time and effort. The Waco arf is already purchased at downstate

. Just not picked up yet as we are away presently.
I believe the Saito to be undamaged.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:17 AM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know the pain of a fire. I'm just glad no one was hurt and the damage was contained. I hope you have good insurance. Don't let them give you a low estimate on the replacement cost.
Old 09-04-2023, 01:17 PM
Glowgeek

..............Experience not rare exceptions in making our overall decisions regarding engines has paid off well.
Nothing at all rare about finding dimpled or troughed out camgears. If I dug through my scrap metal bin I'm sure I could a half dozen without digging too deep. None of them are from my flyers.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:33 PM
Jesse Open

LOL

Seen quite a few here over the last 40 plus years as well. It was one of the reasons I added castor to my fuel and moved the vent forward. Observations from engines I serviced for the LHS.

The rare exception would be finding a running problem that gets past the inspections I give my personal engines.

An unknown engine offered as-is and used is another issue. Hence, the very fair and honorable full refund always applies.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 09-04-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:32 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So what is you guys favorite oil mix for Saitos? How much castor do you want? 20% total oil with 5% castor maybe? Klotz techniplate synthetic good? I plan to mix my own fuel for my 180. Will probably be FAI with no nitro. I have a CH ignition on it. This engine for international competition.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:15 AM
1200SportsterRider

I am not a castor fan, for nearly 20 years I've been using Wildcat 2/4 which is 10% nitro methane and 18% full synthetic. I now have a couple of gallons of S&W 10% with 17% full synthetic.

WildCat 2/4

S&W
Old 09-05-2023, 02:14 AM
1200SportsterRider

Click image for larger version

Name:	713aTWOpkGL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2273287
7075 Aluminum Round Bar, Unpolished (Mill) Finish, Cold Finish, T651 Temper, ASTM B211, 0.5" Diameter, 24" Length, OnlineMetals
Gary, would this be suitable for a Saito connecting rod using glow fuel, Thanks, Dave
Old 09-05-2023, 12:41 PM
Glowgeek

Dave, if I were to fabricate a connecting rod I'd be looking for hypereutictic silicon alloy aluminum or cast bronze, maybe?
Old 09-05-2023, 01:28 PM
1200SportsterRider

That bar is both plus T6 hardening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.