My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Just ran my Saito 1.25
Prop=Master Airscrew Classic 16x6
FUel == WildCat 15% nitro with 18% 80/20 blend
Plug==Saito SS
RPM==9,390 peak.

Spool up, kept up with throttle movement.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:52 PM
edkoz
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help from the Saito Mavens.

I have to 82's and just bought a used 150. The manual says to start the high speed needle 5 turns out but says nothing about the low speed. On my 82's they came with the low speed set about flush with the top but on the 150 I got, that screw is about 3 turn past the top.

What is a good starting point for the low speed needle?

I tried to search in this thread before asking a question that may have been asked and answered 10 times but I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 01-02-2007, 07:27 PM
angrycookieman

Sign me up, I just ordered the saito 100 from the LHS for an ultra stick 60. Can't wait to get it all together.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:37 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ed

Your low speed needles are correct on the 82's for the beginning break in. You will have to screw them in a couple turns as you get them broken in.

If your used 150 has a plastic throttle arm someone has already set the low speed mixture. I would try it there and see what you have.

If your used 150 has a steel throttle arm the needle is in too far. When the needle is about right with the steel throttle arm, the screw is about flush with the outer surface.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:07 AM
les40
My Feedback: (1)

I bought a Saito 100 from a guy that hasn't been run yet. He couldn't find the muffler, muffler nuts or manifold. When I look at the manual's exploded view there appears to be a "muffler gasket" between the manifold and head. Is this a washer? Is it aluminum, stainless? Does anybody know where I can get one? It doesn't seem to have a part number. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
w8ye

There's no gasket. Just the manifold pipe and a jam nut
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80022.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	589448  
Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 AM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

doesn't hurt to put a several wraps of teflon tape. i find it helps to keep it tight. easier that rtv.
jon b
Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Birman

I have a RCV 91CD which is a messy engine. It blows a lot of oil out of the crankcase vent. One of the ways to minimize the mess is to install a nipple on the exhaust manifold (not the muffler) and run a piece of tubing from the crankcase vent to the new nipple. The method is approved by RCV and the engine suffers no ill effects. Has any one tried doing this on a Saito? Before I do it on my 91 I thought I'd check with other users.

Thanks,
Larry
Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Give this a try and let us know how it works out. I usually just run my crank vent tube out the bottom. I don't notice much residue on the airplane related that that. One thing to keep in mind is to make it where you can use afterrun oil, we wouldn't want any rust on any of these great engines.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:59 AM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Birman

I have a RCV 91CD which is a messy engine. It blows a lot of oil out of the crankcase vent. One of the ways to minimize the mess is to install a nipple on the exhaust manifold (not the muffler) and run a piece of tubing from the crankcase vent to the new nipple. The method is approved by RCV and the engine suffers no ill effects. Has any one tried doing this on a Saito? Before I do it on my 91 I thought I'd check with other users.

Thanks,
Larry
Almost seems like the exaust pressure (which pressurizes your fuel tank) would at best inhibit the flow from the crankcase vent... Some of the new 4s designs run the crankcase vent to the intake pipe... Seems to work quite well on the ones I have... Makes it a bear to get afterrun oil in though if you have a cowl on the engine...
Old 01-03-2007, 11:01 AM
w8ye

On several of my older Saito four strokes I have run the vent line to a brass tube strapped along side the muffler. The outlet is right at the muffler outlet. Seems to work OK.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look out, its angrycookieman!!!! Run!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:06 PM
angrycookieman

Be careful there, I may turn into the cookieMONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=48_48.gif] Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 01-03-2007, 07:35 PM
turboapache

By installing a nipple in the exhaust stream prior to the muffler the highspeed gasses act as a venturi and siphons or creates a low pressure in the line coming from the crankcase. This will pull the excess oil and add it to the exhaust stream. The reason you get pressure to the fuel tank from the nipple on the muffler is because the outlet of the muffler acts as a restriction and causes a pressure rise in the muffler itself. I hope this sheds some light on this for you.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:43 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

220 saito...please report ![sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 PM
P47 Jug - Al
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: turboapache

By installing a nipple in the exhaust stream prior to the muffler the highspeed gasses act as a venturi and siphons or creates a low pressure in the line coming from the crankcase. This will pull the excess oil and add it to the exhaust stream. The reason you get pressure to the fuel tank from the nipple on the muffler is because the outlet of the muffler acts as a restriction and causes a pressure rise in the muffler itself. I hope this sheds some light on this for you.
Then on a flexible Echause such as...
[link]http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=sai182td1112&CatId=[/link]

Is the nipple used to pressure the tank or connect to the crankcase to pull out the excess oil?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 PM
IronCross

Isn't that kind of like saying water in part of the hose is moving at 1000 gallons per second but only coming out at 100 gallons per second ?... Hard for me to visualize... I would have asumbed the pressure in the hose was the same from source to outlet... ???
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you install the crankcase vent line to the exhaust you will burn your engine up, simple, no oil will get to the bottom end. dont do it. the vent has to go to atmosphere on a saito
Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Thunderchild

ORIGINAL: IronCross

Isn't that kind of like saying water in part of the hose is moving at 1000 gallons per second but only coming out at 100 gallons per second ?... Hard for me to visualize... I would have asumbed the pressure in the hose was the same from source to outlet... ???
Ironcross,

Pressure and flow are two different things. You can have a 1000 gal/minute flowing from a given orifice but at low pressure. You can also have the same 1000/gal minute flowing from a smaller orifice at a much higher pressure. It all depends on the restriction.

To follow it to the other end of the scale, I seem to recall also from my dim dark youth a law of compressability: A force exerted on an (enclosed) liquid will be transmitted equally throughout that liquid. This is pressure and is a basic pricipal of hydraulics I think.

Does this help any?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Thunderchild

ORIGINAL: IronCross

Ironcross,

Pressure and flow are two different things. You can have a 1000 gal/minute flowing from a given orifice but at low pressure. You can also have the same 1000/gal minute flowing from a smaller orifice at a much higher pressure. It all depends on the restriction.

To follow it to the other end of the scale, I seem to recall also from my dim dark youth a law of compressability: A force exerted on an (enclosed) liquid will be transmitted equally throughout that liquid. This is pressure and is a basic pricipal of hydraulics I think.

Does this help any?
No, guess I am kind of thick headed The way I see it the pressure is the same from one end to the other... Pressure/resistance will eliminate any high speed gas flow... All you will do is pressurize the crankcase ... Pressure there equals less blow by and oil to the bottom end... Could be wrong... I know the manufacturers chose to run the crankcase vent to the intake pipe rather then the exaust...
I think Jim had the best idea by just running it along side the muffler...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:06 PM
turboapache

I think maybe you are confusing pressure with volumetric flow. It is not pressure we are dealing with in this instance but the hot expanding gasses flowing at high speed past the nipple in the stream. As a gas or liquid moving at speed passes from a small area to a large area you get a pressure drop as when going from the manifold to the muffler and pressure rises when it gets to the exit of the muffler because of the restriction at the end of the muffler. Think of drinking thru a straw with a small hole in it. What happens? The same principle as a paint spray gun. The air flowing at high speed pulls the paint into the stream and atomizes it. Hope this helps and if not just let me know and I will be quiet.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you put a hole anywhere in the header or muffler and you will get pressure out, not in
Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
turboapache

Manufactures are using the same principle when they hook the vent to the intake. The air moving thru the intake is a low pressure area and draws on the vent.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 PM
w8ye

The intake manifold on a Saito or OS four stroke has a vacuum in it when the engine is running regardless of flow past the hole.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:18 PM
turboapache

True, if you just put a hole in the exhaust, but if you insert a nipple down into the flow of gasses you will draw air into the flow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.