Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

It's not allowed to withdraw or resign as a member. If you've ever owned a Saito and joined, you are "in"....:-)

Ernie
Old 10-31-2005, 03:22 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

William Robison posted:

Unlike another Jap model engine company we all know about, Saito does not put prototypes on the market expecting the early buyers to work the bugs out.
Ya, like the flexible plastic back plates on the .72 and .82 and defective carbs on the 100 that have been replaced in production. You don't know if you have a bad one until you run it do to possible old stock.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:43 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When did the 100 have a bad carb, I have one of the first ones sold and it has a fine carb.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:45 PM
iflynething

What about a defective carb. I haven't had any problems with my engine (Saito 100)!

~Michael~
Old 10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
PlaneKrazee

Hi Dave,

You got a good one, my friend got a bad one. This has been discussed on this site in the past. His engine ran great on the ground but would crap out in the air after a minute or two for no reason. If you call Horizon and explain what's going on they will send you a new carb.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:15 PM
PlaneKrazee

So maybe the 100 carb problem can't be said to be a prototype problem, just a production run problem. I ran a 100 GK that was flawless and powerful. Just luck of the draw.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Bill, quick question before I pull the crank outta my FA-40:

Do you know if the bearings in the open rocker 40 are the same dimensions as later 40's? I will measure them when I get them out but was just wondering. ANyway, after pulling the engine apart the cross-hatch on the cylinder is still visible. Ain't even broke in yet!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:12 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tom:

All my small block listings have the 698 (8x19x6) front bearing, and of the twelve total entries from 35 to 56 all but two show a 6901 (12x24x6) rear bearing. Problem is that one of the two entries for the 40 shows a 6001 (12x28x8) rear.

I've found it safest not to trust "The Book" on things like this, as often as not their "What fits which" is wrong. I think I mentioned two outwardly identical FA-120s with the same lug code, and different rear bearings, didn't I?

There's enough difference in the outer diameter, you should be able to tell which rear bearing it has using a divider to measure it with only the removal of the back plate.

HTH.

Bill.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Kmot

Thanks bud!
Old 11-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,
In post #603 you identified an engine as a Saito 120 ABC with an airbleed carb. I have one of them sitting on a shelf. What year model is it roughly? Mine is in great shape, not a scratch.
Jack
Old 11-01-2005, 03:34 PM
William Robison

Jack:

If it were an automobile you could get antique plates for it. It was probably sold new in 80-81, but it could be a little newer if it has the aluminum muffler.

Bill.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

That's a surprise. I thought it was like 5 -7 years old. A generous friend gave it to me a while back. He had it on a 60 size stick. It wasway heavy for a 60. I never got into planes big enough to handle that big , heavy engine. Anyone want a working , antique Saito?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:26 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ill take it, just pm me, thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 PM
IronCross

Sure, I will come over tonight
Old 11-01-2005, 07:50 PM
gjeffers

thats cheating iron cross, ill pay shipping!!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:15 PM
aerobatixkid

Hi.

Can someone help me..

My saito 150 has started to feel kind of rough turning it over.. could this be the bearings? The engine is just broken in and maybe 2 months old.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Kmot

Bill, the bearings in my old 40 are:

NSK 698 Z
NTN 1068

8x19x6 front
12x24x6 rear

I had a hard time locating a rear bearing. Boca was out. I got a rear one from VXB and one from Boca for the front. I splurged on the ceramic bearings.

-Tom
Old 11-01-2005, 09:09 PM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

I'll bring coffie and doughnuts

Just kidding hear... Don't really want it...
Before someone takes me too serious...
Old 11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Bill,

I have a Saito 91S ( my first Saito ) and have taken your advise about setting the valve lash @ .0005 gap. I have a couple other questions. I got this engine used from a guy that had crashed it nose in, and pushed the crank back against the backplate. I pushed it back into place and saw no visual damage to any parts. It runs fine, and I think with the valve readjustment, I will regain the power it was losing, the valve gap was pretty wide open. The questions I had were 2. First, when putting the valve covers back on, do you seal them with an RTV or the such ? There is a hint of a gasket there, but not much of one. Second, when I rotate the engine through the cycles, there is the compression stroke, the exhaust valve opens, then it closes and the intake opens, in between those 2, there is a click torwards the front of the motor, torwards the front of the crank, pretty audible click. Could it be just the pushrods on the cam ? I am not totally up on taking one of these apart, I thought I did a great job figuring out how to adjust the rocker arm on to set the valve clearance ! Thanks for sharing your wisdom with us rookies, that's why I love this hobby, guys love to talk about their stuff !! [img][/img]
Old 11-01-2005, 11:02 PM
gjeffers

ORIGINAL: IronCross

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

I'll bring coffie and doughnuts

Just kidding hear... Don't really want it...
Before someone takes me too serious...
coffee and donuts sound pretty good, dont know if i can beat that!!

while im here, does anyone know if the new saito 125 has the same threads on the muffler header or are they 14mm?? im gonna order the engine and cant find thesize on horizons site and need to order the header also!!

thanks guys
Old 11-02-2005, 12:11 AM
William Robison

Tom:

NTN 1068, 12x24x6 rear
I have 13 listings for a 12x24x6 bearing, they are all type 6901 with different pre and suffixes to ID the construction materials. NTN must have used an "In House" numbering system to get the "1068" number on it.

So long as you got what you needed all is well.
---------------

Joe:

There are supposed to be gaskets under the rocker box covers, but the covers aren't supposed to be sealed. Strange? Yes. But if they were sealed then as the temperature rose the internal pressure would build, and no oil could pass the tappets and valve guides to lubricate the overhead gear. The gaskets are still needed, without them the metal to metal fit would have no "Give" on the cover screws, the covers would work loose with a few heating/cooling cycles.

The click you hear is perfectly normal, as you supposed it's caused by the valve springs pushing the tappets against the cam. As the intake tappet passes over the peak of the cam lobe it pushes the cam in the direction of rotation, the click is from the free play in the timing gears. Again, it's normal.
----------------

Aerobat:

A two month old engine should not feel rough at all. If an experienced person in your area says it's the bearings send it to Horizon for service under warranty. The stock Saito bearings aren't the best in the world, but they should last two or three years with no problem.

Bill.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:43 AM
rrw71
My Feedback: (5)

Is there a manual that the Saito folks use for assembly / mx , or does anyone publish anything that could be used for refrence?

Rob
Old 11-02-2005, 02:11 AM
William Robison

Rob:

Saito does not make any technical publications available beyond the owner's manuals. RCM has "A Guide to Saito Model 4/Strokes" available. It gives decent information on the singles and twins, but it has nothing on the radials in spite of showing an FAS-325R5 on the cover. Its copyright date is 1995, it is really out of date as far as current engines are concerned but since there hasn't been that much change in the product line the methods are still valid. Many current engines are not listed specifically but, as I said, the techniques still apply.

I have been working on a new manual encompassing all that's in the RCM book, updated with later specs, and a lot more detail. Most of it can be found here on RU in earlier posts I've made. As a single volume it will be, I hope, better organized though. The majority of it is on the single cylinder engines, they are the greatest portion of the user base. It's still up in the air whether to have a separate volume on the multis, or just add them as part of the one. If the "Singles" book ends up too big the "Multis" could be an extra cost supplement for people who have them. Keep the price down for the majority. Or maybe Horizon will like it and give it away with an engine purchase. Fat chance, I know.

I plan to include parts interchanges, modifications to upgrade older engines, and some hints on how to get parts for older engines.

Don't press me for a publication date, it's nowhere near ready for that.

I have other projects under way also, as an example I've still not finished the one on making intake stacks. Probably will include that with the "Modifications" section of the singles book as well.

In the meantime I'm still answering questions, maybe someday I'll just say "Buy the book." Haw.

Bill.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:05 AM
rrw71
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for all the help!

Rob

ps - I set my valve lash for the first time using the toothpick method and the .0015. Worked great!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For some reason, I missed a lot of these posts - I think the RCU cookie might have been deleted. Which post has the 'toothpick' method? I can't picture a toothpick being .0015 thick...

I'd like to have a look at that book when you get around to publishing it...

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.