Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
tigil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

on wath model of plane you put your 82 ? me in showtime 50 about 6.5 pounds.......... not very happy about this engine
Old 05-08-2007, 08:31 PM
kryptonite

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I'm thinking that a 15-6 would be a better prop candidate?

Actually the 16-6 is the recommended prop for the Saito 125, for maximum thrust. It should turn it to 8500 rpm range, according to tests by Fly RC magazine and other reviewers - although, Mike McConville prefers the 16x4W on the Showtime as he thinks the 16x6 lugs a little.

I think I'm running it too rich and will try to adjust it carefully for the next flight.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:39 PM
kryptonite

ORIGINAL: Tripp2loo

kryptonite

Lean out the HS needle untill there is very little smoke, then back it up 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Run it like this on the ground for a couple of minutes and check the temp of the motor (I do this with fingers on the headers) you should not have to remove yo fingers sharply, it should be very warm, not hot here.

Are you using any sort of muffler extension, if so remove it. I
Thanks for the tip - I usually do not trust my own ears when tuning - although I admit I wasn't paying too much attention to change in the amount of smoke and spray while actually tweaking the HS needle - just that there's lots of it. I'll definitely try to get it right the next time before I fly. No there are no muffler extensions.

And I'm gonna bring a bright searchlight with me the next time to shine on the prop - hopefully the tach will work then!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Ernie,

I don't think so. I've had the .72 and the .82 and they both came with the plastic backplates. No problems with my .82 after quite a few flights on it, but mine was the one of the newer-designed backplates (I think all .82's came with them anyway - that it was only the 72's that needed the backplate redesign).

Bob
Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Ken6PPC

ORIGINAL: tigil

on wath model of plane you put your 82 ? me in showtime 50 about 6.5 pounds.......... not very happy about this engine
I just got back from the field from flying my Showtime 50 with a Saito .82. Mine came in a little heavier than yours, but I am VERY satisfied with the power. I have no problem doing whatever I want to with it, and I'm a little concerned that I could rip the wings off of this plane with it, if I'm not careful in a dive.

My Saito .82 is still pretty new, but it peaked out at 9600 RPM's with a Master Air Screw 14 x 6 tonight. I think the APC 14 x 6 would probably turn a little slower than that.

Edited to add: Wildcat Premium Xtra w / 15% Nitro
Old 05-08-2007, 10:17 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only used an APC 15x6 prop on my 1.25, but it has a lot of power. I probably have 10 flights on the engine right now. I haven't tached it in a while to give you RPM numbers.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Tripp2loo
My Feedback: (15)

If you really want to slow the plane down,, try a 15 x 4W
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFGW1&P=7
Should do well with the Showtime.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:07 AM
RVM

About a gallon through my new .82 and I'm getting 9800ish RPMs with 25% nitro.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:19 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

I notice you guys really try to squeeze the rpm's out of your engines. I usually don't even tach mine, I've just flyin em if they sound good to go. Upon checking, I find mine do between 9500 and 10,200 depending on which plane. I guess thats ok... All my Saito's run great though.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:47 AM
RVM

I'm what is called a min/maxxer. I am obsessed (yes, I'm somewhat OCD in the first place) with minimizing negatives and maximizing positives. Every bit of performance, to the point of being an almost negligible gain, is almost always worth the effort.

I apply this attitude to every aspect of my life. It is tiring, frustrating and at times very expensive, and has almost always proven to be worth the extra effort.

Perfection is the goal.

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

I notice you guys really try to squeeze the rpm's out of your engines. I usually don't even tach mine, I've just flyin em if they sound good to go. Upon checking, I find mine do between 9500 and 10,200 depending on which plane. I guess thats ok... All my Saito's run great though.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:49 AM
freeonthree

I don't what to say to that... lol Being a mech all my life, I do like stuff to be correct, but im not quite as picky as you I guess. Nothin wrong with wantin everything perfect though...
Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: RVM

I'm what is called a min/maxxer. I am obsessed (yes, I'm somewhat OCD in the first place) with minimizing negatives and maximizing positives. Every bit of performance, to the point of being an almost negligible gain, is almost always worth the effort.

I apply this attitude to every aspect of my life. It is tiring, frustrating and at times very expensive, and has almost always proven to be worth the extra effort.

Perfection is the goal.
Being a perfectionist cost me a wife and a dream job. I'm a lot more loose in my attitudes today and I have a lot more friends. I still believe in doing things right but not to the point of negligible gain. The only thing I'm obsessive about is the quality of work I do at my job, not the quantity just the quality. To me negligible gain is never worth it. Funny how you can have two different views on life and what's important. Good luck to you.
John

EDIT-> A guy at the field had a SIG Extra with a YS 120 in it. Spent two hours trying to get a 1800 RPM idle because that's what he had read they were capable of. Dead sticked it because the engine was too new to idle that low. It would run great at 2200 RPM. Tore the landing gear off it and parted the plane out then and there at the field and hasn't been back since.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Gstan

I’m buying a Saito 72. What size props should I buy for break in and sport flying?. Also what size spinners?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:29 AM
blw

Ed, good story about the guy with the Sig Extra.

Gstan, a 12x8 or 13x6 prop is a good one to start with, depending on your model, weight, etc. The spinner size should depend on the model. If it has a cowl, then you would want to match the spinner size to that.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Barry, do have access to WR's Saito notes or know here they can be found, if they can be found maybe they could be made into a (sticky) and be nailed to the top of this Forum.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Gstan

ORIGINAL: blw

Ed, good story about the guy with the Sig Extra.

Gstan, a 12x8 or 13x6 prop is a good one to start with, depending on your model, weight, etc. The spinner size should depend on the model. If it has a cowl, then you would want to match the spinner size to that.

No cowl, I’m putting it on a World Models Sky Raider. http://www.rc-hobbies.com/product_pa...-ii-sport.html
I have not purchased the plane yet so whatever would look good. What do you think?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
blw

Dave, I do have a copy of them and that sounds like a good idea.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 AM
N429EM

Recently, I received an older model Saito 80. I installed a Slimline "Pitts-Style" muffler (non-smoke), and in trying to tune the engine I have been having trouble getting above 1/2 throttle. Now, I may know why. Lack of tank pressure causing a lean tune ? The one time I managed to get it WOT, it only ran for about a minute, then came to an abrupt stop. Like every other time. Tach readings were erratic, but above 10,000 rpm.
I have her in a Global Freestyle, 5 to 5.5 lbs (haven't weighed it yet), with a 13X6 APC prop. This is only my second plane. I just soloed last year, so I don't plan to get too wild with manuevers, YET. I'd like to try pattern flying, so I can improve my flying abilities. But, of course, the urge to "Let'r rip" will probably arise, from time to time. I'd like to see this thing hover. Do you think I need to move up to a 14X4W prop? I changed landing gear, so I think I have the ground clearance.

Have read some suggestions to block off one of the pipes.
What is the best way to block off one of the exhaust pipes?

Thanks, gang,
E J

Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM
RVM

I won't do things for negligible gains. I said almost! There does have to be some measurable gain, but for me, it doesn't have to be much.

What happened with your job? If this is an inappropriate question, my apologies and feel free to ignore me.

I may have stated things a bit strongly in my last post. I am definitely and most certainly a perfectionist, but when I referred to things always being worth the effort and expense, I meant that it was worth it in the context of what was being done. If I am working on my plane, and it is designed for performance, I will do every single thing I can to extract that performance. However, I do this with the realization that it is a hobby, and while I do sacrifice a lot to fly these models, I do have limits.

No offense but the guy you mentioned with the Sig is an idiot. He wasn't rational or logical about his application of effort. I'm sorry to hear he did that. I'm sure it was a very nice plane too.

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Being a perfectionist cost me a wife and a dream job. I'm a lot more loose in my attitudes today and I have a lot more friends. I still believe in doing things right but not to the point of negligible gain. The only thing I'm obsessive about is the quality of work I do at my job, not the quantity just the quality. To me negligible gain is never worth it. Funny how you can have two different views on life and what's important. Good luck to you.
John

EDIT-> A guy at the field had a SIG Extra with a YS 120 in it. Spent two hours trying to get a 1800 RPM idle because that's what he had read they were capable of. Dead sticked it because the engine was too new to idle that low. It would run great at 2200 RPM. Tore the landing gear off it and parted the plane out then and there at the field and hasn't been back since.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:20 AM
RVM

I have the notes. I'll be happy to send to to whomever requests them. Just email or PM me and I'll have them right out.

I think it would be a good idea if someone were to host them for download. Whoever does, please do be sure to give credit where credit is due (Bill R.).

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Barry, do have access to WR's Saito notes or know here they can be found, if they can be found maybe they could be made into a (sticky) and be nailed to the top of this Forum.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:21 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

---------------------

I'm with you and hardly ever use a tach. Yes, I have a collection of them.

About the only time I tach an engine is when something seems out of spec and the engine isn't performing well. My policy of running the engine as rich as I can, but near peak rpm (sounds contradictory - I know) has always worked for me. I'm talking about glow engines, not gas engines.

To explain a little further, I peak out the engine and then begin richening the mixture until it noticably decreases and looks a bit wet. Then I creep up on the lean side again until it "just" sounds clear - then I lean no further. Of course, I hold the model's nose upright and go through all of the normal checks that we have grown accustomed to, but seldom do I have to retweak the needle one way or another. After so many decades of doing this, you just get a feel, plus the engines talk to you and let you know what makes them happy.

Sometimes another modeler will ask me how fast my engine is turning my prop and then I'll break out the tach and measure the rpm.

Many years ago, I used to keep records of how many rpm a certain engine would turn a certain prop on which fuel and which glow plug. It was fun to do, but it was make work by today's standards. I no longer have the energy to enjoy such things. I just have fun building and flying these days.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Dave :^)

Hi all,
I've got Bills notes as sent to me in Sept 06 and I've no problems hosting them on my site, but are they the latest? file size is 146Kb. I'll put them on my site for now, if any newer appear I'll replace them.

Watch this space......

...... just posted at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kirkbyflier/
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Ernie Misner

How long does the 0-ring usually last where the intake manifold goes into the head on an 82?

Does anyone have a standard number or size where that can be purchased at local outlets? Isn't it a high-temp "Vicon" or some such type? I understand that you have to buy a whole gasket kit if buying from Saito....?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
freeonthree

I just bought a kit for my 80, and it was $3.25, about $8.00 with shipping from Horizon.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:48 PM
RVM

email me and I'll send you November, which is the last time he published any as far as I know.

ORIGINAL: Dave :^)

Hi all,
I've got Bills notes as sent to me in Sept 06 and I've no problems hosting them on my site, but are they the latest? file size is 146Kb. I'll put them on my site for now, if any newer appear I'll replace them.

Watch this space......

...... just posted at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kirkbyflier/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.