boogermancan

This is from about four posts up above.

Use a Bruline filter.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX9158&P=7
Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Hmm, sorry if I posted misinformation. Looks like they put the Cool Power 4-stroke blend under the Omega label, either that, or their labels on the bottle are wrong. Something is wrong somewhere, anyway.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RVM

We are all confused after this Cool Power 4 stroke fuel situation.

It's not your fault.

My only saving grace is that I havn't seen any Morgan's current blend of four stroke fuel yet. I just use regular Omega, Wildcat, or Rich's Brew. Whatever they are pushing at the hobby shop?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:54 PM
boogermancan

i had the same problem with the twist 60 i putt 5 inch wheels on mine im running a 17x6 inch on my saito 125 and made a spacer under the mount to get the space under the prop
Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 PM
boogermancan

the lhs were im at only stocks cool power heli and pattern no 4 cycle atm im running power master ys/saito 20/20 i see its time to get some castor oil to mix in with the fuel lol the sticker on the can saying all syn oil. the backof the can is saying syn and AA castor oil going to read the cool power can it has something to make film stenght additives could it be castor oil in it maby no tellings[sm=75_75.gif]
Old 08-17-2007, 10:28 PM
masonman

I went to the LHS yesterday to get some fuel for my saito .72. Was going to try some 20% nitro coolpower but they were out, so i just picked up a few gallons of 15%. The mouth breather that works behind the counter said coolpower does not make 4-stroke coolpower no more. Said the regular coolpower was for both 2 & 4 stroke. Is this true? If so i am going to have to do some tuneing...
Old 08-17-2007, 10:32 PM
boogermancan

http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_blends.htm
this is there web page it is on it
Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 PM
boogermancan

by the way i found this on the cool power web pag above
CleanCastorâ„¢ is our own modified castor oil. Our castor has always been degummed and fortified.

http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_blends.htm
Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 PM
w8ye

That is correct but it doesn't say that Cool Power Four Stroke has a 50/50 blend of lubricant. If you read on and on in that page it will lead you to believe that Cool Power 4 stroke is all synthetic.

In the Omega area they say that Omega 4 stroke has a 50/50 blend of oil

Yet we saw a Cool Power 4 stroke jug that said 50/50 synthetic/castor
Old 08-17-2007, 10:45 PM
w8ye

In your second post about the castor oil it goes on to say . . . .

"The additives in our Omega and Sidewinder fuels combine with the CleanCastorâ„¢ to adhere more strongly to metals than ordinary castors."

It doesn't mention Cool Power
Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 PM
boogermancan

Have you had any icing of the carburetor with the velocity stack on? Hear in Houston it is hot and humid. The carburetor pipe gets sweat on it um a lot on it
Old 08-18-2007, 03:27 AM
RVM

I've never had a problem with icing, and I used to live in super humid MS. The intake pipe does get really cold though, but I wouldn't worry. The cooler the intake charge the better anyway.

ORIGINAL: boogermancan

Have you had any icing of the carburetor with the velocity stack on? Hear in Houston it is hot and humid. The carburetor pipe gets sweat on it um a lot on it
Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 AM
RVM

There is really no difference between most 2 and 4 stroke fuels. What you need to look for is oil content and nitro content. In my experience, most of the brands in any LHS I've ever seen have been of decent quality. I am currently using Omega in my Saitos, but the LHS here doesn't have it so I'll probably get some Wildcat or PowerMaster when I run out. So long as it's a reputable brand I wouldn't worry.

Concerning oil content:
If you're new to 4 strokes, or glow engines in general, I would advise staying above 17% or so oil content, preferably with at least 2% of that being castor. If you know how to tune well, and have some experience with 4 strokes (Saitos in particular), you can get away with as little as 12% oil, so long as the manufacturer is using a very high quality oil. There are guys flying in Europe who use as little as 10% straight synthetic in their Saitos. They also use a lot less nitro, 5%-10% or so seems to be about the norm.

Brian Cooper (Fuelman here on RCU) is using a very high grade synthetic oil in his blends and 15% oil content is suitable even for someone new to tuning 4 strokes. You can also get it with any ratio of synthetic:castor you like, along with almost any nitro content you like as well. I've never tried it myself, but Cooper Fuel has nothing but the best reputation so I wouldn't hesistate to use it.

Lower oil content has quite a few advantages, but it also has many disadvantages.
Lower oil = more power, less mess and smoother running. I ran 4 gallons of 20% nitro/12% straight synthetic homebrew that I bought from my LHS in my Saitos and they ran a lot smoother than any other fuel I've ever used. No corrosion (I use afterrun), wear was normal, plenty of oil in crankcase etc. Also, the 20% nitro mix was putting out nearly as much power as some 30% PowerMaster I tried. I would say that for every 1% you reduce oil and increase combustibles (methanol), it is approximately equivalent to adding just under 1% nitro. That's just my observation, however, and I've never tested this.

Lower oil also = more risk of overheating, excessive wear (lower lifespan), higher likelihood of running the engine too lean, lack of sufficient lubrication to the rocker arms (and most other moving parts for that matter) and less tolerance to bad needle settings.

In my opinion, the optimal fuel mix for Saito engines would be 20%-25% nitro and 15% oil, of which 12% is a high-grade synthetic and 3% is a first press castor. The castor gives excellent protection, especially from heat and lean runs. Just keep the engine a bit rich and all should be well.

ORIGINAL: masonman

I went to the LHS yesterday to get some fuel for my saito .72. Was going to try some 20% nitro coolpower but they were out, so i just picked up a few gallons of 15%. The mouth breather that works behind the counter said coolpower does not make 4-stroke coolpower no more. Said the regular coolpower was for both 2 & 4 stroke. Is this true? If so i am going to have to do some tuneing...
Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 AM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if that 50/50 sticker on the Cool Power had been mistakenly applied when the fuel was bottled?? Is all castor-containing fuel red or pink?? I don't know. Is the castor oil used in model airplane fuel dyed red for identification?
50/50 synthetic/castor may be too much of a good thing. The 70/30 sounds better to me and is what I fly in my Saitos.
RVM has a good idea, the 15% total oil would probably be fine in a well-tuned Saito. It's enough to make one want to formulate one's own fuel.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:53 AM
swixtt

in a previous post he called the company to confirm it is a current product.

ORIGINAL: rlmcnii

I wonder if that 50/50 sticker on the Cool Power had been mistakenly applied when the fuel was bottled?? Is all castor-containing fuel red or pink?? I don't know. Is the castor oil used in model airplane fuel dyed red for identification?
50/50 synthetic/castor may be too much of a good thing. The 70/30 sounds better to me and is what I fly in my Saitos.
RVM has a good idea, the 15% total oil would probably be fine in a well-tuned Saito. It's enough to make one want to formulate one's own fuel.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:03 AM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

I've had a problem with my Saito 72. I might have as many as 50 gallons of Cool Power with 3 extra oz's of caster added to each gallon. I was flying a brand new plane with this Saito 72 on the nose. The linkage for the throttle came off at around 2/3's power. I flew around for almost 10 minutes and the engine stopped running, with fuel in the tank. The motor was also locked up! I took the motor off the plane and started to disamble the motor and found the back plate melted . The back plate was mushroomed into the crank case! The wrist pin was frozen up. The connecting rod had lots of slop at the crank. Is this something anyone has had problems with before?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:55 AM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50 gallons? And this is the first problem you've had? Light a cigar man....

A little loose math based on conservative .75oz per minute fuel consumption, and that engine has about 150 hours on it. Stellar.

My .72 busted the thin plastic backplate in about 1 gallon.

The repair parts are very inexpensive, and I'd say just order what you need from Horizon and rest easy.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:07 AM
rlmcnii

swixtt,
sorry, missed that
Old 08-18-2007, 02:03 PM
w8ye

Sounds like that 72 got mighty hot?
Old 08-18-2007, 03:27 PM
UltimateFlyer120
My Feedback: (5)

I did not explane the nurling on the piston and the fact the ring was nurled over making the ring groove pinch the ring. So I need a Jug, piston,ring, connecting rod , wrist pin, back plate and new set of bearings & gaskets! I did get my money's worth out of it. I fly a 4 1/2 lb profile and half throttle was a lot of power. I just wondered had anyone else melted a back plate. By the way the origional plastic back plates broke easially with just a twist while holding the carb mount. This was the replacement backplate! And yes this was the only problem this old 72 had. I would rather replace this motor with an 82! Saitos are the best!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:38 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: rlmcnii

Is the castor oil used in model airplane fuel dyed red for identification?
Sis castor is straw colored. Klots Benol is red. At various times I have used castor containing glow fuels that were amber, red, purple, blue, and doubtless other shades I don't recall. (My memory ain't what it used to be. Never was).

jess
Old 08-18-2007, 06:27 PM
rlmcnii

thanks, just wondered
Old 08-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Jimnie

Hello Saito guys,
Just got off Horizons Saito page,
Check this link for a kick,

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleId=1706

Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Dave :^)

That '82 sounds a bit wimpy compared to my '80GK but just love that triple, I'll keep on doing the lottery!
Dave :^)
Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Hi all, I'm instaling the Saito velicity stack on my .82 and noticed that there is a visable gap between the carb body and the base of the velocity stack. Is there a gasket or an O ring that is supposed to go in there? Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.