Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:59 PM
kryptonite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

A couple of months ago - I was concerned that my then new Saito 125 was not developing enough power. It had only a gallon through it then. Now, after one more gallon - I was stunned that I'm getting 9200 rpm on an APC 16x6 - even when running smoky rich! Wow - what a difference an extra gallon makes! I'm currently flying it in a Hangar 9 Twist 60 and the motor pulls the bird vertically forever and only a bit over half throttle. The brute torque available for vertical climbs is so much fun that it sort of spoils you. I have to keep reminding myself when flying my other 2 cycle glows that I'm no longer flying the Saito anymore and not to count on last second instant pullouts. The Saito has never let me down so far but I noticed something that I hope is not indicative of a problem.
When the motor is cold and dry, and when turning over by hand - the air leaks out at the top of the compression stroke, so I feel a bit of resistance on the downstroke. Once lubed or when wet, this never happens of course. Is this normal? I don't seem to feel any leaks on my (non-ringed) 2 strokers. The other I need to do is to start leaning out the low speed mixture. Its still running on factory rich setting but the motor transitions so darn well that I hate to tweak it at all. Hopefully this will make the motor less thirsty.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM
krop
My Feedback: (19)

Jim,
I finally got my act together and flew the Tiger-60 with my SAITO 82A.
Of course, the reason for the note is the Turboheader on the engine.
I used a deflector to attempt to keep the exhaust from entering the
canopy. The engine sounds phenomenal thanks to your muffler! As I
mentioned previously, the Turboheader boosted the RPM about 200 RPM.
Krop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38999.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	752573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89124.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	752574  
Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: kryptonite

A couple of months ago - I was concerned that my then new Saito 125 was not developing enough power. It had only a gallon through it then. Now, after one more gallon - I was stunned that I'm getting 9200 rpm on an APC 16x6 - even when running smoky rich! Wow - what a difference an extra gallon makes! I'm currently flying it in a Hangar 9 Twist 60 and the motor pulls the bird vertically forever and only a bit over half throttle. The brute torque available for vertical climbs is so much fun that it sort of spoils you. I have to keep reminding myself when flying my other 2 cycle glows that I'm no longer flying the Saito anymore and not to count on last second instant pullouts. The Saito has never let me down so far but I noticed something that I hope is not indicative of a problem.
When the motor is cold and dry, and when turning over by hand - the air leaks out at the top of the compression stroke, so I feel a bit of resistance on the downstroke. Once lubed or when wet, this never happens of course. Is this normal? I don't seem to feel any leaks on my (non-ringed) 2 strokers. The other I need to do is to start leaning out the low speed mixture. Its still running on factory rich setting but the motor transitions so darn well that I hate to tweak it at all. Hopefully this will make the motor less thirsty.
Mine has a similar leak down. I imagine that the oil helps seal the gap in the ring and probably even the valves to keep the compression high when wet. After 2 gallons you are ready to lean her down for power! The motor will run just as well as it does now, just don't lean the bottom so much that the transition lags and you will be golden! Good luck.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:41 PM
RVM

My 1.00 does basically the same thing. If you hold it at TDC, you can hear a bit of air leaking. If it doesn't do it when wet I would not worry about it. I think most Saitos have leakage at the valves, as every single one I've had except my .91 has done this (one 1.00 leaks a little, two .82s leaked at the valves, one of them excessively).

What kind of fuel are you using?

ORIGINAL: kryptonite

Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 PM
RC Specialties

Krop,

That is fantastic. I am glad you finally got her in the air. I see the extension worked well for you. Happy flying!

Jim
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

I have a problem. My cowling is 1/4" too long on my just completed GP J-3 Cub. To alter the cowling would be horrific.

Does anyone make a spacer to move the prop out 1/4"? Aluminum or plastic?

Please tell me it can be done. I don't want to have to re-do the cowling or spacer the enginer out.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 PM
boogermancan

Putting the prop on the threads is not a good idea.IMHO>any chance to space out the motor mount. New motor mount holes are another idea. Cutting your plane no way go for the spacer before cutting the plane
Old 08-30-2007, 03:28 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

A plywood spacer at the firewall would be the best bet. It'll move the CG though so be prepared.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:57 AM
boogermancan

good point AKFireMedic the cg will be more to the nose i for got all about that [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 AM
kryptonite

ORIGINAL: RVM

My 1.00 does basically the same thing. If you hold it at TDC, you can hear a bit of air leaking. If it doesn't do it when wet I would not worry about it. I think most Saitos have leakage at the valves, as every single one I've had except my .91 has done this (one 1.00 leaks a little, two .82s leaked at the valves, one of them excessively).

What kind of fuel are you using?

Thanks - good to know that I'm not alone. No leaks when wet - and the power is awesome. Starts also on the first flick - so I won't worry about it.
I'm using CoolPower MV for 4 strokes. I think its 15% nitro and 18% synthetic. I know there is no castor in this mix, so I'm careful to make sure it runs on the rich side and I measure the temps on landing. After each run, I squirt a lot of Hobbico after-run into the crankcase and cant the motor so that the oil runs into the bearings. I've also just adjusted the valves using a feeler gauge - it was set a bit tight at the factory. Gotta try the low end mixture tweaking this weekend.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:58 AM
edberg

Do you guys hand start your plane? I can never get it to turn over unless I use an electric starter, it backfires and kicks the chicken stick out of my hand!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moving the engine forward the thickness of plywood, will change the CG, but not enough to where you'll notice it in the air.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
chasrb

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

Moving the engine forward the thickness of plywood, will change the CG, but not enough to where you'll notice it in the air.
I have a similar need to extend the prop out by about 1/16 maybe 3/32 to clear the cowl. In addition to that the rocker arm covers all touch the cowl (Saito 170). I really don't want to cut the cowl if I can get away with it. I have not had a setup like this so I am not sure if having the valve covers up against the cowl will cause a heat issue.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
conchohoncho
My Feedback: (120)

[:@]I don't have a solution to the prop/cowl problem. I'm interested in what, if any, onboard glow system you are going to use with your Saito 170 Tripple?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 PM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Do you guys hand start your plane? I can never get it to turn over unless I use an electric starter, it backfires and kicks the chicken stick out of my hand!

Well I hand start mine but this was not the case till I learned how and got them set up right.... Sounds like they are to lean on the low needle first so you might adjust that.
My method is to prime with out glow till wet then attach glow and make sure my radio is set to low stick then I flip backwards and they usually fire right up !!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
chasrb

ORIGINAL: conchohoncho

[:@]I don't have a solution to the prop/cowl problem. I'm interested in what, if any, onboard glow system you are going to use with your Saito 170 Tripple?
I actually have two 170's going into a F7F Tigercat. McDaniels has an onboard glow that I will use. I wll use one glow unit with six leads - three for each engine. That way I have one battery and one unit = less weight. I was thinking about Microsens (German, I have one on my 7cyl Seidel Radial) but I went with McDaniels this time, less expense and here in the States.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
RVM

I hand start mine unless I've got a regulator hooked up. Then I use a starter. There is usually a ton of ARO in my engines when I go to start them so I don't worry about excessive wear from the starter spinning it over.

Are you backflipping to start or trying to turn the prop through compression to start?

ORIGINAL: edberg

Old 08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

the instructions should have a dimension to set the distance from the drive washer (back of prop) to the back surface of the motor mount (or distance to the firewall). that's where the engine has to be posititoned to fit the cowl. then adjust the equipment to set the cg.
jon
Old 08-30-2007, 05:38 PM
swixtt

do you guys see a lot of smoke coming out while flying? i noticed a lot more coming out while flying last night. the other guys (mostly 2 strokers) seemed cleaner in the air. no smoke trails. although it kinda looks cool i'm concerned it might be a bit rich. i've adjusted the high-speed for slightly lower than max. rpm.
is there something i'm missing here with the high speed needle?
oh, this is a 100 inverted mounted.

thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 06:20 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

swixtt- Check your low speed needle valve. It sounds like it is too rich. In some ways, that is the most important adjustment on these engines.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

jb86:

I set the engine from the drive washer to the firewall just as the instructions said. I had to shim it out 1/2" in order to make it work. It is a J-3 GP and the engine
is a Saito 56. From memory (and that can be bad) I think it was 5 1/8 or 5 1/4 inches. I know it measured just what was called for. The cowl is pressed tightly onto the
nose, so I can't push it any further back.

I have decided to find or use a 1/4" pc. of laminated plywood with some 80 - 120 grit sandpaper glued to each side for holding power. I think the wt. of
the shim will be negligable.

Thanks for all responses. This is a great forum.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
freeonthree

Some fuels smoke more than others, and old fuel tends to smoke more too because the lack of nitro and methanol which eveporates over time, leaving you with a higher oil content per volume. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've wondered before it relative humidity has any bearing on the amount of smoke. I've noticed my engines smoke more on some days than others.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM
RVM

Dunno, but I bet warmer days smoke more than cooler days.

ORIGINAL: TimC

I've wondered before it relative humidity has any bearing on the amount of smoke. I've noticed my engines smoke more on some days than others.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 PM
freeonthree

Humidity has alot to do with tuning, just as altitude and temperature does, so yes, you will notice days where your planes will smoke more or less than others. As long as they run great, I never retune. I may grab a click or two on the HSN occassionally if anything, but thats it. I lost a Cessna once because I leaned my HSN too much, and on taking off into the wind, it went lean, died and fell. Had there not been some dude with a 2 stroke 10 feet away at full thoottle, I would have heard it go lean and pulled the throttle back a bit. Oh well...
Yep, I only get nervous when I don't see enough smoke anymore...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.