Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 AM
p51delta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

How far can I lean my HS needle out on my FA-82? What end position do you guys have on your .82 HS needles after break-in? My .82 is 2 1/4 turns open right now and still smokin up a storm. I didn't want to just keep leaning it out to see where top RPM is since it has only one day of running.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget all of this "how many turns" nonsense. It is irrelevant.

Each and every engine is different from every other engine. To further compound this, the fuel tank size, type and height in the model varies from model to model. Then we can get into your local elevation, the barometric pressure for that particular time, the humidity, the temperature, the brand of fuel, brand of glow plug, condition of glow plug, brand and size of the prop, how much running time your engine has accumulated, two line tank feed, three line tank feed, type of clunk in the fuel tank, clunk's distance from the rear of the tank, etc. I could go on and on and on, but the bottom line is that each and every one of these factors influences how your needle valves should be set. The number of turns has nothing to do with it at all.

I know, you don't want to hear it. But you need to forget about the number of turns the needle valve is set at. If you keep insisting on "how many turns" with your needle settings, you will never have an enjoyable glow engine experience. These engines aren't that difficult to understand, but it does take a little experience to get a grip on them. Keep flying and your experience will get to the good level in no time.

I really am trying to help you.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Capt Lou

I agree with all that Ed Cregger said. One additional thought that I have not seen is: have you set your needle valve with a tachometer? Everything I have read, my own personal experience, and the Saito instructional manual indicate that you cannot set the needle valve by sound (like a two stroke) but must use a tachometer.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

You can set the HS by ear, but a good tach is more precise. I use both ways. You can get the LS close by ear if you are using a bit of throttle when doing it.

For the most part, I use a TNC tach when first setting the HS. It is part of learning how that particular engine runs. Afterwards, when it needs a tweak here and there or continues to break in, I just do it by ear.

I'll use the tach if checking out different props just as a reference. Flying is the only way to know for sure.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife says I cannot hear a thing? But I seem to have no trouble setting a four stroke by ear.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:15 PM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Thats called selective hearing or thats what my wife calls it she says it is common in the male species
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM
w8ye

Roboto65, I showed your comment to my wife.

My wife commented that great minds think alike and that she agrees with your wife.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:40 PM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Well great thats all we need 2 or more women thinking alike whats the world coming too LOL And to keep the thread on topic Saitos are picky about fuel tank position !!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
burr

I have enough poblem with one wife. I am lookin g for a 4 stroke engine for a 4*60 project and I would like to know what make a Saito better then an O.S. Thanks for the help in advance... Gene
Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 PM
w8ye

Four Star 60's fly well with a variety of Saito four strokes from 65's on up through the lighter case 125's

The Saito 72 & 82 has a smaller - lighter foot print than the OS 70 with equal or better power.

The Saito 65, 80, & 91 have the same foot print as the OS 70 and the two bigger ones are more powerful

The Saito 100 and OS 91 have the same mounting dimensions but the 100 weighs less. The Saito 100 has a little more power.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Ken6PPC

Is a Saito better than an OS?

Is an OS better than a Saito?

Is a Chevy better than a Ford?

Is a Ford better than a Chevy?

I have five Saitos, two OS FS, four OS 2S, one Evolution 2S, one Magnum 2S, and one (converted) 2S weed wacker gas engine. I like ALL of my RC engines.

Don't obsess over this decision. There are pros and cons to them all, and bottom line, it really comes down to personal preference. The more engines you have, the easier it will be to decide which brand and size best suits your own personal preferences. You have a LOT of choices, and they are ALL good ones. Just buy whichever engine suits your fancy, and don't worry about finding the "best"! I doubt that it really exists anyway, except in someone's own mind.

I don't think you could go wrong with ANY of the popular choices.

Edited to add...

I can't help you with the wife. Mine keeps me occupied!

And....

Too much power is ALWAYS better than not enough! Or, is there even such a thing? Does TOO MUCH power exist? Probably not.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
w8ye

If I were you, I would be an opportunist and seek the best deal on which ever?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:21 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gene, if your 4*60 is an ARF, I'd consider a .91. My ARF was fairly tail heavy and the heavier engine helped to balance it without adding weight to the front. I don't think the kit builds as tail heavy.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I used an ole OS 90 four stroke in my 4 star 60. I tried a saito 80 at first, but I had to put an extra pound in the front to balance the plane. The 90 pulls a bigf prop, and if I want to slow it down and fly just above the stall, it'll do it.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 PM
lenough

I have a Saito 180 and have tried everything I know of short of JB Weld to keep the muffler header from vibrating loose. Does anyone have any suggestions for me.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Capt Lou

You can try the red locktite or permatex makes a red silicone for exhaust manifold connections/seal
Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

lenough, teflon tape works well with a couple of wraps around the manifold threads at each end. When the engine is warm, resnug the tightness. Check it the next few times until you're sure it will stay tight.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what is going on with the saito 100 and the some of the other big bore small block saitos that keep losing there muffler. my 91 80 and 56's have nver lost there mufflers c-crunch
Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 PM
w8ye

I never had a Saito loose a muffler.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Captcrunch44

i have been reading alot on rcu here and its like once a week someone askes, how to keep there muffler tight ?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:56 PM
w8ye

BLW just expressed the secret
Old 10-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Captcrunch44

sounds good and keep up the good advice w8ye and blw. c-crunch
Old 10-12-2007, 05:26 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

lenough,

I have one that requires no tricks at all... Replace it with a slimline..... If that doesn't work teflon tape seems to work well with the stock muffler. I would suggest that you clean the treads throughly with something like Breakclean before assembly...

Good Luck,

Hibrass
Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 AM
ranger351w

good day

I have also lost a muffler pipe total of 10 flights then a couple more the motor blew up. Alot of money for all this to happen in one half season! Question the value!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Buy or make a separate muffler and mount it to the model's firewall or under the fuselage, then get flexible metal header material and run the exhaust output to the muffler that way. Your muffler will never ruin the threads in your cylinder head, nor come loose again.

Whoever came up with the idea of trying to get the cylinder head to support a big muffler hanging out there in the breeze with just a few threads didn't have his head screwed on properly. Can you imagine a car or a motorcycle engine set up with mufflers hanging off the exhaust port flanges? Wouldn't last an hour.

I can see it if they are running just exhaust pipes, with no muffler. That should work. In fact, that is how we should fly our engines anyway. And all engines should have built-in or third party fuel pumps anyway. That gets rid of the fuel tank pressure nipple crowd.

When someone sees that you are having fun with your planes, some of them clap with joy (nice Christian folks), while the rest want to get you evicted from the site. Noise is just an excuse they use to file with the township folks for the official complaint. I've never seen an instance yet where bringing the club into compliance with AMA and local sound ordnances actually saved the field. It may delay it for a bit, but once someone complains, generally, your field is doomed.

The latest excuse is not noise, it is building soccer fields that no one uses. Like the ones at Camp Jordan, TN which evicted the ERAM Club after many, many years of occupancy without a single problem. I drive out there regularly with my motorcycle and no one is there using the new soccer fields. Ever. My latest strategy is to go flying one field over without asking permission at all. No one has bothered me as yet. I doubt if they ever will. Someone at Camp Jordan didn't like one of the contact folks in ERAM. That is what that was all about. It happens and it doesn't reflect poorly on the ERAM folks either.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.